IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown

IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown

Tuesday, December 12th, 2017 3:51pm CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Tyrannacon   Views: 11,839

Previews World has shown us a look at the retail cover B of the IDW Optimus Prime #14 comic that is set to release later this month around December 20th. The cover is done by artist, Casey Coller, as part of IDW's Artist Edition Cover month series. While the comic deals still with the fallout of the First-Strike series still, the production of the comic itself features the talents of writer, John Barber and the art skills of Livio Ramondelli inside the cover. The summary on PreviewsWorld states:

"On Cybertron, Optimus Prime battles the Dinobots over the first new Cybertronian life to emerge in four million years! But does he stand a chance when the Dinobots' newest member is two miles tall and eats cities?

Lastly, the sales price is set to $3.99. Be sure to support the comic if you love it!

Transformers News: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown

Credit(s): PreviewsWorld

Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1927276)
Posted by Va'al on December 19th, 2017 @ 2:38am CST
The third preview of this week's comics from IDW Publishing - as the Till All Are One Annual was covered already here - brings us back to Transformers proper, and the second part of the Livio Ramondelli-drawn issues featuring both the Throttlebots and the Dinobots in Optimus Prime #14. There are pretty much all of the possible spoilers for the previous issue present in the opening pages of this, so if you're a trade reader, or still waiting for #13, avoid the images below!

Will you be picking up the issue this week? Let us know what you think, and join the discussion in the Energon Pub discussion boards.

Optimus Prime #14
John Barber (w) • Livio Ramondelli (a) • Kei Zama (c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Bullet points:
Part of IDW’s Artist’s Edition Cover Month!
Optimus Prime deals with the fallout of the First Strike event!
Variant cover by James Raiz!

Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1927310)
Posted by Randomhero on December 19th, 2017 @ 11:54am CST

Oh and a giant stone head of Unicron
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1927313)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on December 19th, 2017 @ 12:40pm CST
Randomhero wrote:Anyone recognizing any Easter eggs in prowls weapons cache? So far I think I see AOE lockdowns face gun, maybe the sniper rifle from WFC/FOC and a second vamparc ribbon

Oh and a giant stone head of Unicron

I was looking at that head trying to figure out what it was. It looked more like a skull, but now I see Unicron clearly.

The one gun looks like Megatron's fusion cannon hanging from the roof. As for the others, I may need to reread A/M/P to see if I recognize any of them
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1927314)
Posted by Randomhero on December 19th, 2017 @ 1:00pm CST
I keep wanting to say that scythe is something but I have no idea. First I was thinking Straxus’s weapon of choice but that’s a sickle

The Unicron head I didn’t notice at first. I thought it was a table. Not gonna bitch and moan about Livio but it’s not a good drawing.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1927324)
Posted by SG Roadbuster on December 19th, 2017 @ 2:47pm CST

the Dinobots are my favorite characters, and every time I read a solicit that mentions them I get excited. until I see Ramondelli's name in the art credits, at which point my excitement shrivels and dies like an earthworm on a Texas Sidewalk in July.

idw has dozens of amazing artists working for them. Matt Frank, Alex Milne, Jack Lawrence, Sarah Pietre Durocher, Guido Guidi, Kei Zama, Hayato Sakamoto, Andrew Griffin, E.J. Su, just to name a few.

hell, at this point i'd rather have Pat Lee back.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1927332)
Posted by Randomhero on December 19th, 2017 @ 3:27pm CST
SG Roadbuster wrote:soooo, are IDW not allowed to let competent artists draw the Dinobots anymore? cuz for the last 2 (almost 3 years), every time the Dinobots show up, they're drawn by that hack Ramondelli.

hell, at this point i'd rather have Pat Lee back.

Because hes reliable and can meet deadlines? Sadly half those artists have either other commitments, been unable to commit to deadlines or just been unavailable due to whatever reason. While I’m not a fan of his art he’s a nice dude and has an outstanding relationship with the editors and that’s why he gets work. He’s a dude that draws, inks and colors his own stuff and makes the deadline. I’ll respect that with him.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1927425)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on December 20th, 2017 @ 10:26am CST
Twas the Night Before Unicron
A Seibertron.com Spoilerish review of IDW's Optimus Prime #14

OK, so to start things off with, this was a difficult story for me to get my head around. When I first read this issue, I had to take a step back, wonder what I just read, take a few more moments, and reread. And even then, I still wasn't sure of what I read.

Take a few moments to read some other staff inputs, and some more sense it made.

Not a creature was stirring, not even a Goldbug

Now, that is not to say that this is an issue that is very confusing. It's not an issue where we are jumping around time, not one where things are jumbled, not one where the writing is bad. The story itself is a really good read and another great installment for the Optimus Prime run. It's just an issue where, much like last issue, there is a lot of stuff going on. It is dense in its content. And most of that is saved for the final few pages, where a reveal throws all kinds of continuity dense implications to us.

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that St Prowl would soon be there

Now that we got that out of the way, here are some actual thoughts. The opening pages with Prowl and crew, it felt cool and yet unique. Here we have a crew of misfits essentially, those who have not been accounted for over the past few years, mostly. Wheelie and Garnak once again make a triumphant return, the Throttlebots, and Stardrive, not to mention all of Prowl's tech. The one oddball thing about this whole section: what on Earth is Prowl gathering everything for? And why this crew of characters? It does make me smile some to see Prowl is still up to his old ways, even if it does feel a bit weird following the ending of Titans Return.

Cut back to Cybertron: the whole section feels just a bit wonky, but it still works out for me. This is the first part that gave me some pause. The way the characters fight each other feels a bit weird, but bringing together characters developed in different stories for this section will do that to you. I did enjoy the Trypticon "reveal" part though, and jokes about Dinobot child resemblance made me smirk several times. The writing with the Dino-crew is a great story in and of itself to follow.

The protoforms were nestled all snug in Trypticon, with visions of Dino jokes in their heads

Arcee had some good moments in there, as did Prime. With Till All Are One coming out with some big new story developments, it was fun to see Starscream interact with both Bumblebee and Bludgeon. I'm interested to see where the Dinobots go from here too, along with Sandstorm.

As for the final 2 pages, that is a reveal I didn't see coming, but one where things make all kinds of sense, and they make me worry about what is about to happen next. Taking 2 of the biggest... pricks/pains-in-the-back characters and now showing them to be in cahoots with each other is interesting and a take that is setting up even more tension prior to the Unicron story to come. Barber is probably the only one who could handle this whole set up, and as far as I am concerned, he is nailing it, and he is setting us up for some truly fun stuff to come.

When out in Iacon there arose such a clatter

The story was helped a lot by Livio Ramondelli and his art, and as I and others have said, his art has improved greatly. I really enjoyed the scenes he was drawing, and there are distinct close ups that he nails perfectly, such as Arcee and Prowl. Everything Trypticon is awesome in this story too. I give props to Livio for continued improvement, his art has become something that is quire enjoyable to follow.

With a little old driver, so tiny and quick, I knew it must be Centuri-nick

And Tom B. Long continues to do great work with the lettering. I am especially appreciative of the inverted speech bubble colors. He helps add that mysticism that Bludgeon is helping to set up.

As a close friend of mine likes to say: "long story short": this is a great book, and one that nicely compliments issue 13 as a 2 part continuity-heavy saga leading up to the Primes and Unicron. Things are being done, they are being done right, and they are being done enjoyably, with no major complaints on story, art, or otherwise.

But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight: Great comics to all, and to all a new Sideswipe!

The story has moved, old continuity points are being sewed up, and we are getting set for a big year next year with comics. And I am glad this crew continues to be a flagship for the comic run.

:MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: 1/2 out of :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL:
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1927533)
Posted by Va'al on December 21st, 2017 @ 5:07am CST
The captions were masterful, well done! :APPLAUSE:
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1927667)
Posted by Va'al on December 22nd, 2017 @ 4:15am CST
In the full list of IDW Publishing comics solicitations for January 2018 - posted here - we had seen one of the covers for the upcoming The Falling arc in the Optimus Prime ongoing series, by Casey Coller.

We now also have, directly from the source herself and via fellow Seibertronian Sunstar, the cover as imagined by regular artist Kei Zama and colourist Josh Burcham, featuring a very different take on the concept, though with Optimus, Windblade and the Mistress of Flame still taking front stage. Give it an eye below!

Also mirrored from Previews World is the Brendan Cahill retailer incentive cover, featuring a scene with Megatron and Optimus Prime that has nothing to do with the interior of the comic itself, but pretty impressive nonetheless!

“THE FALLING, PART 1!” Darkness falls over Cybertron as the legendary Onyx Prime returns. What does this mean for Optimus Prime—and the Earth? Windblade defends an already tense planet against a secret that could shatter Cybertron forever.

Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1929582)
Posted by Bounti76 on January 3rd, 2018 @ 7:43pm CST
Thanks to a tip from fellow Seibertronian Soundwave902, who pointed us towards iTunes, we have the initial three-page preview for Transformers: Optimus Prime #15! This issue promises the return of the big bad Onyx Prime, whose return has been hinted, assumed, and downright spelled out over the last couple of years in IDW comics. Check out the preview below, and head back here for the full preview, and a rousing discussion, once the issue is released on January 17th!

Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1929609)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on January 4th, 2018 @ 12:03am CST
I see Optimus Primal :MAXIMAL: and BW Megatron! :PREDACON:
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1929613)
Posted by Va'al on January 4th, 2018 @ 1:50am CST
Oh man, here's the meat. And Zama/Burcham is doing fantastic work of it.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1929730)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 4th, 2018 @ 10:37am CST
Awwwwwwwwwwwww yeah, this is what I have been looking forward to! And Primal and Beast Megatron are there! Hopefully they actually get called out by name this time, seeing as how both were seen in issue 10 I believe(?) and unnamed in Trion's story.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1929731)
Posted by Mr.MicroMaster on January 4th, 2018 @ 10:39am CST
This going to be epic I can’t wait. I can’t wait for the Beast Wars cameos.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1929740)
Posted by Mr.MicroMaster on January 4th, 2018 @ 11:07am CST
The art is fantastic Zama and Burcham are a perfect team.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1929753)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 4th, 2018 @ 11:37am CST
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1929760)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 4th, 2018 @ 12:23pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:Am I being blind? I can see Optimus Primal clearly but I can't see bw Megs...there's also a few others I recognise like the bunny one, but I can't place a name on him.

BW Megatron is alright right beside Primal in the same panel as him. He's a bit trickier to identify, but you can see the glow of his T-Rex head on his hand.

and the bunny would be Stampy, except he showed up in sins of the Wreckers in a different role, so it must be different
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1929797)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 4th, 2018 @ 3:47pm CST
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:

Ah I thought that spec was just the background showing through but yeah I can see it now, thanks.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1930029)
Posted by Mr.MicroMaster on January 5th, 2018 @ 2:54pm CST
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #14 Cover B Shown (1930040)
Posted by Va'al on January 5th, 2018 @ 3:32pm CST
Mr.MicroMaster wrote:So by the colors I’m guessing those two bots with The Mistress Flame are previous torchbearers.

Indeed! We've seen Praesidia before, in last year's TF annual. :D

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Superion Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers SIEGE War for Cybertron Deluxe Class COG - WEAPONIZER! Complete." on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War For Cybertron SIEGE Firedrive WFC-S1" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON BATTLE MASTERS Aimless" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron SIEGE Roadhandler & Swindler WFC-S4" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Trilogy Pteraxadon Action Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Springer" on EBAY