IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview

IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview

Friday, January 20th, 2017 9:08am CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal   Views: 19,077

Newsarama has posted the full preview for Optimus Prime #3 which continues the present story of the Junkions and the past story of police corruption. It also shows off the first meeting of Soundwave and Optimus Prime, at the time Orion Pax. Check out the preview below, and let us know what you think in the comments section below!

The first meeting of Optimus Prime and Soundwave, revealed in a preview of next week's Optimus Prime #3.

Optimus Prime #3
John Barber (w) • Kei Zama (a & c)
An uneasy peace between Optimus Prime and the newly arrived Junkions is threatened by Soundwave’s discovery within their massive ship…
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Bullet points:
· Part of IDW’s Artist’s Edition Cover Month!
· Variant cover by Joana Lafuente!

Transformers News: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview

Credit(s): Newsarama

This article was last modified on Saturday, January 21st, 2017 12:29am CST

Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1853436)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 20th, 2017 @ 9:05pm CST

Optimus Prime #3
John Barber (w) • Kei Zama (a & c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Bullet points:
· Part of IDW’s Artist’s Edition Cover Month!
· Variant cover by Joana Lafuente!

Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1853498)
Posted by Va'al on January 21st, 2017 @ 7:28am CST
In other June listings for IDW Publishing comics, courtesy of Amazon.com, we also have the first collected trade paperback for the new ongoing series Optimus Prime. Check out the provisional cover art and more information below - and follow the discussion as it happens in the Energon Pub!

REVOLUTION is over—but the danger to Earth is just beginning. As OPTIMUS PRIME pulls Earth into the larger universe, he’s painted a target on it… and a new alien incursion begins when a corkscrew shaped craft drills into our world! Collects issues #1–6.

Product Details

Series: Transformers
Paperback: 144 pages
Publisher: IDW Publishing (June 13, 2017)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1631409697
ISBN-13: 978-1631409691
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1853508)
Posted by Kurona on January 21st, 2017 @ 8:17am CST
In RiD/Transformers (post-Dark Cybertron since they're practically different books), we... didn't really learn much of anything about the characters outside the mains. Optimus, Soundwave, Thundercracker, Prowl... that was about it (aside from Arcee which I still have no clue what they're trying to do with her). Which was all fantastic, you can't convince me these aren't the best incarnations of Soundwave and Thundercracker ever; but... their teams were just kind of there. Jetfire, Jazz, Sideswipe, the Combiner teams, basically any Decepticon not called Needlenose... which is what really put the book behind for me (aside from the somewhat shaky plot). I was still enjoying it, but MTMTE and Windblade's comics just had so many more characters that were so interesting and drew me in every time. RiD/Transformers had... Cosmos. Who's great. But when we're shown guys like Kup and Jazz who are supposed to be Optimus' big main team and they get a tad bit of focus at the start, to see them largely ignored and to learn nothing about them was endlessly frustrating.
So already, Optimus Prime is so much better in this regard. It's giving me reasons to care about the larger cast and is doing interesting things with them which I can't love enough. It's fantastic.

Also, Optimus Prime is fixing up one of the few flaws I had with it itself - they brought back Cosmos! They're finally bringing back and showing where the hell all the guys were aside from who's immediately on-hand in Autobot City! Which is nice, because I loved Cosmos. He's great. I never expected a comic to make me care about Cosmos, but... hey, I never expected one to make me care about Rewind or Hosehead's Headmaster either.

This comic is so good.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1853540)
Posted by Bounti76 on January 21st, 2017 @ 1:40pm CST
Kurona wrote:Something I've really been loving so far about Optimus Prime compared to RiD/Transformers is how much it's focusing on the characters of Jetfire and Pyra Magna.

This comic is so good.

I agree. I like that it's focusing on other characters and actually giving them some personality, such as Pyra Magna (which is one of the better Transformers names in a long while). I could hope for any characterization for the other Torchbearers, but I'll take what I can get for now.

Still not a huge fan of the art.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1855112)
Posted by Va'al on January 27th, 2017 @ 9:57am CST
Also via Previews World we have another variant cover for the upcoming fourth issue of the IDW Publishing Transformers ongoing comics series Optimus Prime, by John Barber, Kei Zama and Josh Burcham! Check it out below, including the blurb with incorrect credits.

OPTIMUS PRIME #4
(W) John Barber (A) Kei Zama (CA) Nelson Daniel
NEW CYBERTRON! Optimus Prime struggles to unite the Junkions, Cybertronians, and humans-but will diplomacy be scuttled when the Junkion's secret comes out?

Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1855185)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 27th, 2017 @ 2:20pm CST
Thanks to John Barber and Alex Milne himself, we have news that Milne will be filling in for Kei Zama for art duties for Optimus Prime #4, due out next month! Milne has been absent art duties recently as Jack Lawrence has been drawing the first story arc of Lost Light, so the fill in is a nice return for Milne prior to his art duties for a Lost Light arc. You can read the pair of tweets below, and let us know what you think in the comments section below!

Alex Milne wrote:So I guess I can mention I filled in for interiors for Optimus Prime issue 4. Super fun to work on. I hope you will like it :)

John Barber wrote:Optimus #4 is the first time @markerguru and I worked together as artist/writer since we did 3 Dark of the Moon in-pack comics in 2011.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1855579)
Posted by KorsO on January 29th, 2017 @ 5:00am CST
Milne on interiors?
Well thats just plain .... Awwwww Jyeahhhh :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE:
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1855969)
Posted by Bounti76 on January 30th, 2017 @ 4:22pm CST
Oh, nice. I'm slowly warming to Zama's art, though it's still not my favorite. I just worry that this issue will spoil me for being a style I already really like instead of one I have to get used to.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1856038)
Posted by Va'al on January 31st, 2017 @ 4:04am CST
Review of issue 3 is coming this week, sorry for the delay. :oops:
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1856296)
Posted by Va'al on February 1st, 2017 @ 3:11am CST
Making a (Sound) Wave
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

and by everyone's digs at him

Story

First of all, I apologise for the lateness in this review. There is a life outside of this screen, and it is getting messy and busier by the day. Still, duties are duties, and I thank you for not giving me flak for dropping this a week later. And I hope you picked it up, because there is plenty to talk about in this third issue of Optimus Prime.

Jetfire is excellent

We reach the third issue, the central one in the first arc of this new book at the hands of John 'Continuity' Barber, and we check-in almost directly with Thundercracker's work-away-from-work as deals start taking place with The Crown Jewel of The IDW Universe - apparently - and some more backstories get filled in, via Marissa Faireborn.

also, he adds a heart to Buster's bowl

The other major storylines, however, are even more intriguing, with Soundwave's inner monologue proving the caption commentaries this issue, as we dive back into his first encounter with Orion Pax, as they were very much (but maybe not) on the opposite sides of the beginning of history - compared to where they both are now. For however long.

NO TENSION AT ALL

That, while taking the current plot forward as well, as we find out what happened to Cosmos, the cassette-birds, and the whole idea of the Decepticon commune in spaaaace, in Barber's probing of the Junkions' intentions on Earth. Plus. in much better characterisation that previous works by the same author - we re-visit Jazz' character concept of understanding Earth culture, Jetfire's early motives, Prowl's Prowlness - and lots and lots of Thundercracker.

Art

I really do like Kei Zama's work, if that hadn't been clear in the previous posts about this series, and I believe we get to see a different side of her art in this issue: more humans, more organic cast, more humour to work with alongside the political intrigue of both past and present. And I'm satisfied we what we find - though there is always a touch of the sinister in the inks.

Thundercracker: loves dogs and hawaiian shirts

You want a darker tone to your stories? You want police/cop drama set in the past? You want political intrigue and chess-playing in the past and the present? Get Josh Burcham to add colours to Zama's linework: it plays with the heavy inks beautifully, it doesn't sacrifice diversity in the palette, and it delivers a great looking book.

And his RIRFIB's colours are showing

Likewise, the lettering is an incredibly nice touch on top of what the art and dialogue already carry, as Tom B. Long's caption are never intrusive but still always there for new and old readers alike (the added snark in them is a bonus). The covers are a full IDW TF roster too, with Zama and Burcham on main, but Andrew Griffith and Josh Perez (thumbnail), Joana Lafuente, and Casey Coller all deliver some truly exquisite variants.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

The series is working very well, as looking at the reviews so far will have suggested, and what we find in issue #3 is a slower pace than the previous two, maybe not needed, maybe necessary, definitely present. That does not slow down the book's build, at all, but it will give a distended - and humorous at several points - read compared to the other book out this week, and compared to recent TAAO issues - so they work well in parallel at that, nicely scheduled IDW. (Totally not a dig at IDW's scheduling spoiling TAAO.)

Confirmed: Jem, Holograms, Misfits part of Shared Universe

There is plenty of humour too, as we see some of Barber's early RID work shine back through, and we get a very good look at Zama's style all round, as more organics, more beastformers, more humans, more facial expressions join the cast and the fray for the issue. As I said, the speed of the plot may have taken a slight slower route, but there is plenty to enjoy nonetheless.

. :CON: :CON: :CON: ½ out of :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON:
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1856336)
Posted by Randomhero on February 1st, 2017 @ 9:47am CST
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1856347)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on February 1st, 2017 @ 10:34am CST

And the art was much better this issue and it grew on me. It really did look good. Jetfire really stood out with looking good with the art as well
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1856407)
Posted by Va'al on February 1st, 2017 @ 2:37pm CST
Randomhero wrote:I love johns writing and have always favored RID/TF/OP over MTMTE/LL but I can't help but feel it hasn't gotten to the point that it did with season One of RID. Maybe it's because that was such breath of fresh air in the comics in 2012 or maybe it's just me. Anyone else feel that way?

As I kinda touched upon in the review, I feel like we're very much back there, with some more humour and some even better characterisation. He's working with new characters, or ones that haven't had much about them yet, rather than your usual core crew (plus Metalhawk) - and I like it!

What stands out to you as being not as good as RID?

D-Maximus_Prime wrote:I really love the Soundwave, the Jetfire, and the Jazz in the current story. Those 3 really stand out to me.

The panel before the one I used, with Prowl and the Flyentist, is where I fell for Jetfire. QUESTION HIM, DUDE. QUESTION HIM TO JUNKION AND BACK. (Of course Prowl intervenes.)
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1858385)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on February 9th, 2017 @ 8:35pm CST
Our final preview for tonight fresh from iTunes is for IDW Optimus Prime #4! #4 starts off with a hoard of Sharkticons, some Junkions, and some more Zeta Prime/Orion Pax business from about 4 million years ago. Give it a look, and let us know what you think in the comments section below!

Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1858413)
Posted by ScottyP on February 9th, 2017 @ 9:55pm CST
Wow, that Milne + Burcham combo. I just felt nostalgic for 2012. Masterful, just perfect ;)^
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1858429)
Posted by Deadput on February 9th, 2017 @ 11:43pm CST
Zeta Prime looks pretty great here unlike...

The Transformer sized human in knight armor on the right.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1858461)
Posted by Randomhero on February 10th, 2017 @ 7:04am CST
Deadput wrote:Zeta Prime looks pretty great here unlike...

The Transformer sized human in knight armor on the right.

Well what do you expect? Steve Kurth did his best based on a design made by Livio in Apocracy. He had to deal with dreary pages that you couldn't tell what you were looking at. Just showed how bad that design really was and I'm glad kei went back and did a redesign for this
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1858643)
Posted by KorsO on February 11th, 2017 @ 2:21am CST
aw mann... Milne must be a guest artists on all books man.

Really epic representation for any TF graphic novel/comics.

Wish he can have a guest artist go at Till All Are One as well... i cant imagine the level of weight and scale that he can bring to that book. Titans all over the place attacking Metroplex... all out Cybertron planetary war with, and against new colony arrivals...

Such detail Image

arghh . One can only dream :-( (Please IDW make this happen :BOWDOWN: :D
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1858692)
Posted by ScottyP on February 11th, 2017 @ 2:29pm CST
^ I love Milne's work to pieces, but Sara Pitre-Durocher is doing so darn well on TAAO that I'm not fussed if she draws the book for every issue ever.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime #3 Full Preview (1860569)
Posted by Va'al on February 18th, 2017 @ 3:18am CST
Also via comics news site Newsarama, we have a full preview for the other Transformers book from IDW out next Wednesday - Optimus Prime #4, guest starring Alex Milne on interior art! Check it out below, and head back next week for a review, plus the discussion in the Energon Pub.

Optimus Prime #4
John Barber (w) • Kei Zama (a & c)
NEW CYBERTRON! Optimus Prime struggles to unite the Junkions, Cybertronians, and humans—but will diplomacy be scuttled when the Junkion’s secret comes out?
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Bullet points:
- Variant cover by Nelson Daniel!

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Arcee Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer Set- Blurr, Boulder, Chase" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Commander Class Megatron Figure Sealed AA173" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON WFC-S32 BLACKJACK & HYPERDRIVE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Powertrain & Highjump Siege War for Cybertron Micromaster" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Commander Class Optimus Prime Figure Sealed Z943" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers WFC-S44 Siege Battlemasters Singe War for Cybertron Target" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG37 Ravage & Bullhorn Takara Tomy Japan" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Action Figure Incomplete" on EBAY