IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers

Transformers News: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers

Sunday, October 29th, 2017 3:28AM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 11,530

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Courtesy of Amazon.com, we have a date and an idea of what will be contained in the third volume of the ongoing Transformers comic book series Optimus Prime, from IDW Publishing! Not only will it run during issues 11 to 14, but will also include the First Strike tie-ins to do with the Transformers themselves, i.e. the two-parter in Optimus Prime and Transformers. Check out more info on this book release next July, and the Lafuente cover below!

New threats emerge, both on Cybertron and Earth, as the saga of Optimus Prime and the Autobots continues. What new future will the Transformers face?

With Optimus Prime trapped on Cybertron, embroiled in the First Strike event, the Autobots on Earth set off on a mission to find their missing friend, Jazz. But anti-Cybertronian humans are after him as well, and they're armed with Cybertronian weapons!

Then, in the wake of First Strike, Optimus ventures into the wilderness of Cybertron to search for the first new Cybertronian life to emerge in four million years! And, as if that's not enough to deal with, he soon finds himself facing off with the Dinobots, whose newest member is two miles tall and eats cities!

Collects Transformers: Optimus Prime issues #11-14 and the Optimus Prime: First Strike and Transformers: First Strike one-shots.


Transformers News: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com
Credit(s): Amazon.com
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1918958)
Posted by D-Maximus_Prime on October 30th, 2017 @ 10:07am CDT
I'm wondering why they used that cover for the TPB. It doesn't really look connected to the IDW-verse
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1918967)
Posted by Va'al on October 30th, 2017 @ 10:51am CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:I'm wondering why they used that cover for the TPB. It doesn't really look connected to the IDW-verse


Looks good on a shelf though!
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1918970)
Posted by D-Maximus_Prime on October 30th, 2017 @ 10:57am CDT
Va'al wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:I'm wondering why they used that cover for the TPB. It doesn't really look connected to the IDW-verse

Looks good on a shelf though!

Eh, true. But a cover with the throttlebots or dino/trypticons would have looked good too!
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1919094)
Posted by Va'al on October 31st, 2017 @ 3:35am CDT
Courtesy once more of comics news website Multiversity comics, we have a full preview of the next issue of the ongoing Transformers comic book series from IDW Publishing: Optimus Prime #12. Taking place during the events of the recently concluded First Strike Hasbro franchise crossover, the issue continues to look at the characters left around Optimus himself as he's busy off-planet, as Aileron and the Prime-followers continue their search for Jazz. Check it out below!

[quote]Written by John Barber
Illustrated by Andrew Griffith
Colored by Josh Burcham
Lettered by Tom B. Long

With Optimus Prime trapped on Cybertron, the Autobots track down their missing friend, Jazz-and find themselves under fire from humans armed with Cybertronian weapons.

Bullet points:
* While First Strike blows up Cybertron, the Autobots must keep the peace on Earth![/quote]

















Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1919107)
Posted by Kurona on October 31st, 2017 @ 9:01am CDT
God I love everything about that Thundercracker cover.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1919290)
Posted by Va'al on November 1st, 2017 @ 9:32am CDT

Colonize the Colonizer
(Spoiler free-ish)




Synopsis
With Optimus Prime trapped on Cybertron, the Autobots track down their missing friend, Jazz—and find themselves under fire from humans armed with Cybertronian weapons!


Also, biting IDW commentary



Story

This 12th issue brings us to the second part of a shorter arc dealing with everyone but Optimus Prime himself, too busy being patronised by Windblade and Scarlett over in First Strike (rather than Aileron and Pyra Magna on Earth, so same difference really. He deserves it). And so we return to the Prime fanclub that might be, and the search for Jazz.


and more social commentary



I'll say it: Jazz is one of the better written characters in John Barber's arsenal. He's determined if conflicted, has been present in this universe since the very beginning, and has a long history with pretty much all sides of the war. Even in Aileron's narration, a newcomer to it all, Jazz truly takes the spotlight in the issue.


I swear that's actually Batman



The colonists part of the central story are extremely fun to follow, but there is some criticism that I'd move against their still fairly by the numbers characterisation, with only spikes of added layers to their individuality. Still, Aileron's control over them and their clashing/collaboration work, and lead to a bigger question about the whole set-up..


#squad



..did Optimus really need to include Earth in the Council after all? This is still the bigger question floating above the rest, even when trying to avoid it. But if Jazz, Aileron, and a random assortment can manage the 'defense', there was no real need for the theatrical political move of war general Optimus - something Barber asks subtly, and appropriately.

Art

Seeing Andrew Griffith back at work with John Barber is a nice feeling indeed, and brings a sense of familiarity even in this post-Cybertronian war, post-AHO Earthern setting. The designs and work that he brings back to the scenes, including some nifty action sequences, reminds us of how much he set the tone for exRID and Transformers, and it's good to have some of it drop back in here.


*transforming noises aplenty*



The highlight of the visual side of this issue, and confirming it as the series overall, is Josh Burcham's colourwork - his ability to maintain a visual consistency and coherence even across several artists (four and counting so far) is impressive and inspiring, and does wonders with keeping the book in line with its own newly found aesthetic.


I just wanted to include this panel



Tom B. Long is easily another element of continuity for the series, and I'm so very glad that lettering is recognised as being an integral part of the book production - the reason for, e.g. the Buzzsaw and Laserbeak moments is making the jokes land by actual, accurate dialogue placement, among everything else. The cover used for the thumbnail is also by Andrew Griffith, with Josh Perez on colours, after all the others have been spotlighted across news stories - you can find them all Database entry for the issue of course, right here.


Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

On staff, one of the comments was that Barber's script for the issue has been able to veer enough away from the current events to bring us back to an Earth we might all recognise from pre-AHM times, and it is perhaps a needed anchor for the cast and readership alike, even with all the recent additions. Plus, it adds the whole wave of human reactions to the fray, which may help readers see what the legacy of Transformers actually is on the planet.


Still social commenting



If some of the beats might appear heavy handed for real-life parallels, the script still allows for subtlety in its dealing with Prime's absence - metaphorically and literally - and how the various characters orbiting his system (Aileron above all, but Jazz and the rest of the crew too) relate to each other and the issues at hand. The story may appear 'uneventful' even in its busyness, but it keeps saying a lot about the new, universal status quo.

.:BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:

Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1919291)
Posted by Va'al on November 1st, 2017 @ 9:34am CDT
Using the same narrative device (talking heads in mockumentary style) twice just confirms how firmly average OP First Strike was compared to this one. I need to go review that, still.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1919322)
Posted by ScottyP on November 1st, 2017 @ 1:06pm CDT
Too bad no one ordered a Royale with cheese.

My real thoughts got assimilated into the review already so I don't have much else to say here.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1919476)
Posted by D-Maximus_Prime on November 2nd, 2017 @ 10:06am CDT
So after reading this issue, I'm not sure how much I actually like the direction they are going with Prime. I've followed it, and it was already a little questionable, but after this issue I'm much less confident in this Optimus.

And it basically dates back to Combiner Wars and the immediate aftermath. I really wish they would revisit the whole "what does combining do to the individuals" considering there were a few notable instances and some that showed no effect of the experience, and Prime is the big one to show it. He's more ruthless and much more of a prick. Hell, he told Cosmos he wanted Soundwave to bow to him. He punched Prowl down, killed Galvatron brutally and when he was defeated, the whole line in issue 4 or 5 where he said he is using the people who believe him to be divine, the fact that Cosmos is only listed as an ally of the Autobots instead of being an Autobot, Jazz and Windblade among others no longer want to know him, it all feels a bit much. And I don't really like it too much.

Mopey Prime from RG1 was better in that regard because he wasn't really a prick and there was understanding and he sort of redeemed all that (I've been reading the series lately again, really enjoyed it and still do), but this one... He's a Prime/Prowl thing now that I don't like. And it's not like Sunstreaker, Mirage, or Ironhide show symptoms of having combined, it's only Prime from that experience and Prowl, but only because he did it for longer with different teams. Hell, the only thing that happened to the OP Max guys, Sky Reigns, or Galvas were Sunstreaker and TC are now friends.

Long story short: I don't like the direction Optimus as a character is going at the moment, and things like the titan raising keep him looking like a good guy.

On a different note, when do we think we'll get to Springer, Impactor, and Mayhem again. Springer is loose on Earth with Verity, happily at peace, and Impactor and Mayhem were planning to do some stuff. Considering throttlebots, Trypticon, and Unicron are all on the horizon, do we think Wreckers and Mayhem may get involved again?

And has everyone in this book forgotten about Prowl? I want to hear from him again at some point
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1919516)
Posted by snavej on November 2nd, 2017 @ 12:59pm CDT
Just think how much more serious the mass shootings would be with 'space guns' all over the US and beyond! :cry: Some examples:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... full-data/

This issue is all about gun control, after all.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1919547)
Posted by Burn on November 2nd, 2017 @ 3:39pm CDT
snavej wrote:Just think how much more serious the mass shootings would be with 'space guns' all over the US and beyond! :cry:

Dude, seriously ... wtf?
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1919686)
Posted by ScottyP on November 3rd, 2017 @ 11:24am CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Long story short: I don't like the direction Optimus as a character is going at the moment, and things like the titan raising keep him looking like a good guy.

On a different note, when do we think we'll get to Springer, Impactor, and Mayhem again. Springer is loose on Earth with Verity, happily at peace, and Impactor and Mayhem were planning to do some stuff. Considering throttlebots, Trypticon, and Unicron are all on the horizon, do we think Wreckers and Mayhem may get involved again?

And has everyone in this book forgotten about Prowl? I want to hear from him again at some point
Optimus was a micromanaging war commander, one of his similarities to Megatron as we learn in Chaos Theory. He's also been shown to be more on the side of a conformed, though just, society where enforcement is critical. After "Chaos" and DoOP, dude was tired. Done. Ready to move on. Through one event or mishap or another, he's been put right back in this position of command again, and trying to apply tactics that worked before. The rules have changed now, and he's behind the curve. There's not only too much new for him to process at once, there are voices like the colonists and A3 telling him how great he still is. OP is, to me, completely blind to the growing disdain around him. Phase 2 started with him realizing he was representative of another time, so he left. Now we're finding out the hell that happens when he sticks around, despite his best intentions.

Also, yes, please, the Wreckers/Springer/Prowlspiracy plot is in desparate need of some attention.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1919700)
Posted by Kurona on November 3rd, 2017 @ 1:21pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Long story short: I don't like the direction Optimus as a character is going at the moment, and things like the titan raising keep him looking like a good guy.

On a different note, when do we think we'll get to Springer, Impactor, and Mayhem again. Springer is loose on Earth with Verity, happily at peace, and Impactor and Mayhem were planning to do some stuff. Considering throttlebots, Trypticon, and Unicron are all on the horizon, do we think Wreckers and Mayhem may get involved again?

And has everyone in this book forgotten about Prowl? I want to hear from him again at some point
Optimus was a micromanaging war commander, one of his similarities to Megatron as we learn in Chaos Theory. He's also been shown to be more on the side of a conformed, though just, society where enforcement is critical. After "Chaos" and DoOP, dude was tired. Done. Ready to move on. Through one event or mishap or another, he's been put right back in this position of command again, and trying to apply tactics that worked before. The rules have changed now, and he's behind the curve. There's not only too much new for him to process at once, there are voices like the colonists and A3 telling him how great he still is. OP is, to me, completely blind to the growing disdain around him. Phase 2 started with him realizing he was representative of another time, so he left. Now we're finding out the hell that happens when he sticks around, despite his best intentions.

And by god, do I also love that from a meta perspective. How a refusal to move on and completely rely on the old will land you in a bit of a mess. But also that that's what this franchise keeps doing; it keeps bringing back and relying on Optimus and Bumblebee and yadda yadda. IDW has to keep Optimus Prime in the spotlight because, well, he's Optimus friggin' Prime; so part of me can't help but think this is Barber being a bit cheeky :lol:
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1920685)
Posted by Tyrannacon on November 9th, 2017 @ 8:42am CST
iTunes has recently posted a preview of the upcoming 13th issue of the Optimus Prime comic coming out November 22nd, 2017. The preview is relatively small, but hopefully it is enough to whet one's appetite and satisfy one's curiosity for the upcoming issue. Here is a bit of information regarding it below along with some choice screen shots shown by iTunes for it.

[quote]Description
As the consequences of the First Strike event reverberate, Optimus Prime ventures into the wilderness of Cybertron to search for the first new Cybertronian life to emerge in four million years!

Category: Graphic Novels
Expected Release: 22 November 2017
Publisher: IDW Publishing
Seller: Idea and Design Works, LLC
Print Length: 31 Pages
Language: English[/quote]

Here is the screen shot preview for it:





Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1920696)
Posted by MrBlack on November 9th, 2017 @ 10:18am CST
Um, wow. I'll be a bit disappointed if Sixshot really was taken down by four Throttlebots, even if he was already hurting from getting stepped on by Metroplex.
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1920697)
Posted by Optimutt on November 9th, 2017 @ 10:19am CST
Awwww... Wideload and Freeway didn't even make it off planet? :-( :-(
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1920701)
Posted by ScottyP on November 9th, 2017 @ 10:55am CST
Really caught off guard by how engaging these three pages are. Very excited for upcoming issues, now I'm impatient to read just the rest of this one.

Additionally, let the speculation commence on whether the Botanica mention is a joke or something more. I'll go with "Regen One Retcon" in a scale from "Joke" to "Botanica becomes the main character".
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1920706)
Posted by Randomhero on November 9th, 2017 @ 1:02pm CST
ScottyP wrote:Really caught off guard by how engaging these three pages are. Very excited for upcoming issues, now I'm impatient to read just the rest of this one.

Additionally, let the speculation commence on whether the Botanica mention is a joke or something more. I'll go with "Regen One Retcon" in a scale from "Joke" to "Botanica becomes the main character".



Or it’s neither and just a reference
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1920715)
Posted by D-Maximus_Prime on November 9th, 2017 @ 2:51pm CST
I'm sad they are saying 2 of the Throttlebots bit it. I thought they would live.

Speaking of which, where is the 6th throttlebot?
Re: IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com #transformers (1920751)
Posted by ScottyP on November 9th, 2017 @ 4:54pm CST
Randomhero wrote:
ScottyP wrote:Really caught off guard by how engaging these three pages are. Very excited for upcoming issues, now I'm impatient to read just the rest of this one.

Additionally, let the speculation commence on whether the Botanica mention is a joke or something more. I'll go with "Regen One Retcon" in a scale from "Joke" to "Botanica becomes the main character".



Or it’s neither and just a reference
I'm giving you a "no fun" on a scale from "literal charisma parasite" to "parties so hard it's guaranteed to be worth the jail time" :-P

Yes though, it probably is just using it for the sake of it. Was hoping that came across but I suppose not.

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers G1 Lot Sludge Dinobot Figure 1980s Toys - Time Remaining: 3 days 8 hours 14 minutes 14 seconds
TRANSFORMERS: RODIMUS PRIME TAKARA 3" Choro Q Robo Series TRANSFORMABLE VHTF - Time Remaining: 5 days 9 hours 15 minutes 2 seconds
Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Voyager Class Predaking Complete - Time Remaining: 3 days 18 hours 20 minutes
Transformers Takara Unite Warriors Defensor UW-03 - Time Remaining: 5 days 22 hours 28 minutes 36 seconds
Transformers Machine Wars Optimus Prime RID New Rare - Time Remaining: 2 days 16 hours 29 minutes 17 seconds
TRANSFORMERS G1 GEN 1 ORIGINAL DECEPTICON TRIPLECHANGER BLITZWING FIGUR COMPLETE - Time Remaining: 1 day 16 hours 34 minutes 47 seconds
TRANSFORMERS CYBERTRON SERIES DECEPTICON SOUNDWAVE  FIGURE WITH KEY & LASERBEAK - Time Remaining: 8 days 4 hours 39 minutes 6 seconds
Transformers Beast Wars BotCon 1998 ANTAGONY Autograph Scott McNeil & David Kaye - Time Remaining: 6 days 11 hours 39 minutes 58 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #188 - Mutinous Intent
Twincast / Podcast #188:
"Mutinous Intent"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, November 13th, 2017