IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview

IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview

Monday, January 16th, 2017 6:47pm CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal   Views: 23,510

iTunes has provided a preview of the upcoming IDW Revolutionaries #1. This new book features Kup, G.B. Blackrock, and Ayana Jones AKA Mayday from Transformers along with Action Man and some more characters from other Hasbro properties. The book will pick up where Revolution left off crossover wise. Check out the preview below, and let us know what you think in the comments section below!

THE REVOLUTION MAY BE OVER--but the future is just beginning! Ripped from the pages of the hottest crossover of the year, the REVOLUTION team of John Barber and Fico Ossio continue the action! KUP is a CYBERTRONIAN literally older than the universe; ACTION MAN is the ultimate special agent trying to live up to an impossible legacy; MAYDAY is a G.I. JOE leader trying to rescue her first command; and BLACKROCK is a CYBERTRONIAN that thinks he’s a human. It takes the mind-bending clash of ROM versus MAJOR BLUDD and the OKTOBER GUARD to bring this unlikely team together... and the secret they learn threatens to unravel the entire universe.

Transformers News: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview

Transformers News: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview

Transformers News: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview

Credit(s): iTunes

Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1852739)
Posted by Va'al on January 16th, 2017 @ 7:08pm CST
Odd that this should go up as the main preview is also due today tomorrow (and the comic this week). Hm.
IDW scheduling magic, I suppose. :-?
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1852746)
Posted by LE0KING on January 16th, 2017 @ 7:38pm CST

Me: "Yeah, Transformers comics are great"
Hasbro: "The GI Joe comics are better."
Me: "But I like robots..."
Hasbro: "No, love GI Joe!"
Me: "But, TF comics are winning awards."
Hasbro: "G. I. Joe."
Me: "But I don't like GI-"
Hasbro: "Love them!"
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1852749)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 16th, 2017 @ 7:43pm CST
LE0KING wrote:I can't help but feel like hasbro is pushing GI Joe too much. They are literally in every comic save lost light, and I'm not putting it past them to find a way to force em in. Why are they forcing them so much?

Me: "Yeah, Transformers comics are great"
Hasbro: "The GI Joe comics are better."
Me: "But I like robots..."
Hasbro: "No, love GI Joe!"
Me: "But, TF comics are winning awards."
Hasbro: "G. I. Joe."
Me: "But I don't like GI-"
Hasbro: "Love them!"

It bugs me too. They took skywarp and threw him into GI Joe so the comic would take off again, and then we got Kup in this one, and we got GI Joes all over Optimus Prime. I'm not even sure we'll get a satisfying Spike story with all the Joes now present, and they to me have been the least interesting of the characters in the crossover
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1852763)
Posted by dragons on January 16th, 2017 @ 9:14pm CST

Me: "Yeah, Transformers comics are great"
Hasbro: "The GI Joe comics are better."
Me: "But I like robots..."
Hasbro: "No, love GI Joe!"
Me: "But, TF comics are winning awards."
Hasbro: "G. I. Joe."
Me: "But I don't like GI-"
Hasbro: "Love them!"

Gijoe is only team that had more crossovers with transformers than anything starting with marvel series and going with idw, avengers had crossover with transformers that was one time
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1852787)
Posted by Nexus Knight on January 16th, 2017 @ 11:38pm CST
dragons wrote:

Me: "Yeah, Transformers comics are great"
Hasbro: "The GI Joe comics are better."
Me: "But I like robots..."
Hasbro: "No, love GI Joe!"
Me: "But, TF comics are winning awards."
Hasbro: "G. I. Joe."
Me: "But I don't like GI-"
Hasbro: "Love them!"

I'm will in to bet they're trying to show the human perspective of the Transformers' wars on Earth, or show we're not worthless idiots in the this continuity. If that's the case... they must not remember Skywatch...
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1852865)
Posted by ScottyP on January 17th, 2017 @ 11:54am CST

Me: "Yeah, Transformers comics are great"
Hasbro: "The GI Joe comics are better."
Me: "But I like robots..."
Hasbro: "No, love GI Joe!"
Me: "But, TF comics are winning awards."
Hasbro: "G. I. Joe."
Me: "But I don't like GI-"
Hasbro: "Love them!"
Because if they can rebrand and rebuild GI Joe in a way that makes it relevant and interesting, it's a license to print money.

Also, on the surface, yeah, they're everywhere. Joe fans probably think there are too many Transformers everywhere. But from the TF side, look at this book. Mayday is just Ayana from exRiD. OP 2's cast of Joes was almost all established TF comic human characters just with Joe badges and codenames thrown on. It's not like Lady Jaye is bouncing her boobs around in front of Arcee claiming GI Cis superiority while Roadblock takes a crap on Tailgate and Snake Eyes domesticates Prowl.

That's in the Japanese toy pack in comics, obviously :P
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1852922)
Posted by Va'al on January 17th, 2017 @ 5:30pm CST
As this week sees the first issue of the new IDW series post-Revolution, featuring Transformers characters Kup and Blackrock, plus Action Man and GI Joe - and written by continuity wizard John Barber, with art by Fico Ossio - Comicosity were able to have a chat with the two creators to promote thebook and give us a little more information. Check out some snippets below, the full piece here, and look out of our review of the issue soon!

Aaron Long: Revolution merged the Hasbro properties into a shared universe, with Revolutionaries now spinning out of the event. What will readers be seeing in this series?

John Barber: Lots of fast-paced action and big world-building. The Revolutionaries team is made up of Mayday (who’s a G.I. Joe agent), Kup and Blackrock (who are Transformers), and Action Man (who’s English). So they’re already kinda all over the place to start with, but right off the bat they have to team up with Rom and the Micronauts to fight the Oktober Guard and the new Storm Shadow. Nothing’s off the table!

So we’ll be seeing big crossovers between characters, plus we’ll be going all over the world. If you’re a fan of the Hasbro characters—from the comics or the toys or the cartoons—there will be little nods, or returns to places and ideas from all over. Remember when Cobra had a base on the moon? We do. And we’re trying to pull in things from all over the history of the characters—like, I don’t know if anybody was expecting the Sgt. Savage and his Screaming Eagles relaunch of G.I. Joe, but that stuff plays a role.

If you’re not familiar with this weird stuff, no worries—we’re introducing all these ideas, not expecting you’re an expert. But that said, we’ve done our homework.

[...]

AL: The ongoing cast consists of Action Man, Blackrock, Mayday and Kup. Can you dis-cuss how this mix of characters was decided upon to anchor the title?

JB: At the Revolution writer’s retreat, Cullen Bunn suggested that since Action Man’s comic was a limited series, he’d be without a home post-Revolution. (Action Man, not Cullen, who has a nice home). So it might be good to have A.M. looking over what everybody else was doing—like, his mandate might be to monitor everybody worldwide. And Mairghread Scott sort of riffed on that that you could do with it, suggested it could be a little like Global Frequency and have self-contained stories about this world. And I wound up getting elected to write it because I’d done Action Man and sort of knew a lot about where the universe was going. (In the comics, I mean. Certainly not in real life).

So, I thought if we made this a team with Action Man, really gave this a different feel, it’d be a good fit to add the Transformers character Blackrock, who’d just be coming out of the Titans Return story. Blackrock is a tech-CEO who discovered his memories were false and he’s a Cybertronian. He’s Cybertronian, but his alt-mode is basically a human.

I knew we’d want somebody from G.I. Joe, but I suggested we could sort of push things here and use this to develop a new character, or anyway to build up a character Andrew Griffith and I had set up in Transformers, but who’d now be in G.I. Joe. We gave Anya Jones the semi-obscure out-of-use Joe code-name of Mayday, and she’s become sort of the leader of the team—Action Man is still new to the job; Blackrock is new to this life; so Mayday has the experi-ence with aliens and military tactics.

Kup was originally going somewhere else, or so I thought, but then it turned out Kup wasn’t really going to fit into that other series, and I thought he was too good a character to lose track of, but he wasn’t really essential to what Kei Zama and I were going to do in the Optimus Prime comic… but with about a half-second’s thought, I realized Kup’s an old soldier, and the idea of getting him together with this young, mostly-inexperienced team was just the thing Revolutionaries needed.

FO: Well, when I came on board the cast was already set. And I think they picked a great set of characters. Plus it feels a lot more tightknit and relatable than Revolution. Working on a smaller cast allows us to develop these characters more, and John is writing them awesomely. For my part, I focused on working more detail into their design. I got the chance to redesign Blackrock and it´s definitely a new look for the character, closer to his cybetronian nature. And well… I got carried away and kept going with Mayday: new armor suit! We did keep her hairstyle though… Nah, in all seriousness I wanted them to look the part of a lead character. Action Man´s design was pretty awesome already.

[...]

AL: Fico, with Revolution and now Revolutionaries you’ve penciled the vast majority of Hasbro characters. Are there any particular characters or a particular group that you get the most excited to work on?

FO: Well… It´s hard not to get excited to draw Blackrock with the new design. I also enjoy drawing Mayday a lot. I really feel it´s important to have a strong female character, and I very much love paying attention to every detail on how we portray her to reinforce that. She rocks.

Action Man has the best lines, John is really bringing life to all these characters so it’s hard not to enjoy drawing all these characters.

And lastly, I´m always exited to see them pop out of the pages with Seba’s colors. He is doing a fantastic job, as always.
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1852948)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on January 17th, 2017 @ 7:18pm CST
Maybe this won't be quite so bad after all. At least we know that Kup isn't missing out on anything now (I think I read a complaint about that), and there seemed to be a few nods to the fact that the writers understand the general reception of Revolution and are attempting something a bit different. That's how I read it, at least.
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1853015)
Posted by Va'al on January 18th, 2017 @ 4:45am CST
You say you want a..?
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

Or just that.

Story

Whatever your thoughts on the IDW Hasbro franchise crossover event, Revolution did happen, and we have now entered the phase titled Reconstruction (but not really). The multiple universes now coexist, and a new book in particular emerged from the rubble: Revolutionaries #1.

featuring ALIENS (apparently)!

John Barber takes the helm of this new venture, which feeds off some of the tracks set in pre-Revolution Transformers comics - and the start of the issue clearly shows that, by having its timeline show more TF lore than any other book so far - alongside otherwise series-less Action Man/Ian Noble, and the full return of GI Joe (in some way or another).

..and ROM the Space Knight!

Blackrock does mostly steal the spotlight, as we have come to know him in his early days, and after his discovery of his Cybertronian origins - no sass was lost in the transition, no ego was too bruised to recover - and he seems to be working mostly for himself once more; even after the events just happened, the various human factions are not particularly keen to collaborate.

Definitely not EDC. Nuh-uh

Then enter Kup, and his partnership with young Action Man operative Ian Noble - if GB is the sass, the duo are the other side of the chemistry that keeps the book together. There are witty exchanges, playing on established TF concepts but not too heavily given the new audience, and the story does not bode badly at all for the future of the ongoing.

Art

My apprehensions about the art, especially when it had to do with non-human characters in the Revolution books, seem to have faded a little here, as Fico Ossio brings out some strong work even in Kup and ROM's designs - though Blackrock's features can still throw me a little off at times.

Though there are some ..moments

Similarly, Sebastien Cheng's colours still have that glossy finish that works really well as an eye-catching piece of art, but can get in the way of fully enjoying - and potentially understanding - the more crowded scenes. I do feel, however, that it works perfectly in sync with the lineart, and there are no problems in the issue itself!

Is that black unfinished? I like it!

Tom B. Long has his hands full with the art, too, as had happened before - and the task of keeping who's who clear in a book as busy as this is not an easy one, but he does manage to make it the least cluttered as possible. As for the covers, there are a slew of them, from Tradd Moore/Felipe Sobreiro's main, via TF veterans Andrew Griffith/Thomas Teyowisonte Deer and Sara Pitre Durocher's variants (thumbnailed), plus the usual Paul Pope/Kindzierski, Sonny Liew, then Tone Rodriguez/Jordi scuin and Ossio and Cheng's own take - and the retailer exclusive Jed Dougherty/Jason Millet variant, too. Phew.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

I can't shake the feeling that his book is what Revolution could have been/wanted to be, had it not been dumped into one event, one book, one giant mess of clashing factions within a core story (heavily pivoting on Transformers... and ROM the Space Knight): a monster of the week format with overarching mythology; likeably unlikeable characters; hints and nods to the various fandoms, global scope and scale of casts and settings - though with one major issue...

Other than this guy's soulpatch

...more traditional GI Joe fans may not like this new incarnation of their team. And that is fine, obviously, but I'd be interested to hear the opinion of readers with feet more in that than the robot pool of things to confirm my suspicion. Not the redesigns, or retakes on the characters, but how the new dynamics work, and who they're pitted against in the series as a whole. That said, I enjoyed the read, and would suggest giving the book a try!

. :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: ½ out of :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO:
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1853021)
Posted by Randomhero on January 18th, 2017 @ 8:15am CST
I liked it I'm excited to see where this goes. It's really cool to see some transformers in other books. As somesone who reads comics as their medium-not just transformers but in everything- I'm loving this shared universe. No different than Superman showing up in batman or captain America showing up in x-men or wolverine showing up in Spider-Man. Looking forward to Kup and Blackrock and I personally think it's awesome to see GI Joe all over the place since that franchise has been dead for past couple years. It's sad when the bulk of the toys coming out are the collectors club figures than actual retail store toys.
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1853034)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 18th, 2017 @ 10:17am CST
I think I'm really going to continue to like the Kup/Action man duo. They are as you said Va'al: A great pairing. And Blackrock is pretty awesome too. The team is a good one with likable characters that we know and ones that can share a pretty good dynamic considering their history.

I'm optimistic for the book
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1853041)
Posted by ricemazter on January 18th, 2017 @ 11:02am CST
Can someone fill me in on the new status quo with the transformers? Where is Thundercracker hanging out? Did Kup and Action Man meet up in revolution, or one of the one shots?

On another note, I can't say I like Blackrock'so new look. I kind of like the design he had as sovereign in titans return. Does he go by Blackrock or Sovereign now, anyway? I normally buy IDW comics a month later when they're on sale.
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1853043)
Posted by ScottyP on January 18th, 2017 @ 11:41am CST
^ Thundercracker is on vacation/road tripping with Buster and Marissa Faireborn. Yes, really! It's fun. Josh Boyfriend convinces him to do this in the TF:Rev one shot (figuratively, on that part)

Kup gets captured by MASK in Rev 3, iirc, maybe 2. He's then somewhat accidentally rescued by Action Man in the Action Man:Rev one shot. They keep hanging out because AM thinks it's cool to have a giant robot friend. He's not wrong.

For Revolutionaries, gotta say I enjoyed it overall. I still have some issues with the art, and I wouldn't call this great but it was definitely a good start.

Also, passing mention of something from the Hot Rod and Doubledealer Spotlights? What year is it?
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1857611)
Posted by Kurona on February 7th, 2017 @ 8:08am CST
Blackrock goes by... well, Blackrock. Sovereign is essentially a completely different entity dormant within him that Sentinel/Infinitus awakened, but then also Soundwave let Blackrock take over again. I really hope they do something with that rather than it just being something awkwardly shoved in for the toy tie-in.
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1858383)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on February 9th, 2017 @ 8:26pm CST
iTunes once more brings us a comic preview, this time in the form of Revolutionaries #2. Revolutionaries starts right where #1 left off, with Action Man deserted on the Moon with a lot of dead Cobra guys. Check out the preview below, and let us know what you think in the comments section below!

Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1858409)
Posted by Nexus Knight on February 9th, 2017 @ 9:40pm CST
First with the Lost Light preview teasing us about for someone "big" (literally), now Revolutionaries. For shame. :-P
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1861710)
Posted by Va'al on February 21st, 2017 @ 4:28am CST
The third comic out this week with IDW Publishing is part of the wider, braver new world of the Hasbro universe, and includes some of our Transformers characters too - and so we keep up with the stories, to bring you the best content we can where possible. Check out below a preview for tomorrow's Revolutionaries #2, featuring Kup, Action Man, Blackrock, and the rest of the gang!

Revolutionaries #2
John Barber (w) • Fico Ossio (a) • Tradd Moore (c)
ENTER THE SHADOW! One of the REVOLUTIONARIES is missing—and when his teammates launch a rescue mission, they get a little help... from the 4"-tall other-dimensional MICRONAUTS! Together they'll have to face the swords of the all-new, all-different STORM SHADOW—and she's not taking prisoners!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
Enter the all-new, all-different STORM SHADOW!
The secrets of the Hasbro universe are revealed here!
Variant cover by Andrew Griffith!

Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1861813)
Posted by Va'al on February 21st, 2017 @ 1:07pm CST
In other IDW Revolutionaries news today, we have a variant cover for the third issue of the new Hasbro universe series with our pals Micronauts, Kup, Blackrock, Action Man and GI Joe - check out below the Soundwave-tastic artwork from Marcelo Ferreira, via Previews World!

Revolutionaries #3

(W) John Barber (A) Ron Joseph (CA) Marcelo Ferreira
BLAST FROM THE PAST! In the deadly catacombs beneath an ancient pyramid, Joe Colton-the original G.I. Joe-found something far worse than any curse or boobytrap. He found the Decepticon Soundwave... scouring Earth for Cybertron's salvation. Their meeting remained classified-until the Revolutionaries crashed headlong into the modern-day results!

Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1861832)
Posted by lowman_x on February 21st, 2017 @ 2:41pm CST
Lifting him out, or putting him in?
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #1 iTunes Preview (1861919)
Posted by ScottyP on February 21st, 2017 @ 9:58pm CST
Hrm, does that jive with Maximum Dinobots though? I don't feel like re-reading that again quite this soon after the last time, so for now, in Barber I'll trust.

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Crashbash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Skywarp Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers 2016 Generations Titans Return Deluxe Class SKULLSMASHER & GRAX!" on EBAY
Buy "Takara TOMY Transformers Legends LG32 Chromedome Headmasters Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers robots in disguise generations Megatron, Scourge, Primus and More!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Skullsmasher Grax Skullcruncher g1 headmaster wfc" on EBAY
Buy "SUPER 7 REACTION TRANSFORMERS GOLD ARMOR BUMBLEBEE ACTION FIGURE NEW IN HAND" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Vector Prime Prime Master" on EBAY
Buy "DECEPTICON BERSERKER PREMIER EDITION TRANSFORMERS THE LAST KNIGHT" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers: 2017 Generations Power of the Primes Vector Prime Prime Master" on EBAY