IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview

IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview

Thursday, May 4th, 2017 6:34pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal   Views: 13,989

Finally, after a long wait, we have a new Revolutionaries preview, courtesy of itunes! The new book doesn't give much away, but sure makes a scene with some Predacons showing up right off the bat, and let us not forget the Hearts of Steel styled Transformer from last time! Check out the 3 page preview below, and let us know what you think of these new developments in the comments section below!

Cobra Commander vs. Hearts of Steel! Thousands of years ago, a starship crashed on Earth—and the Hearts of Steel Transformers were born... but how can these steampunk Cybertronians be real?! And what does Cobra Commander want with them, when he hasn't even got Cobra to back him up? The Revolutionaries have uncovered one of the darkest and most incredible secrets on Earth!

Transformers News: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview

Transformers News: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview

Transformers News: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview

Credit(s): iTunes

Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1879296)
Posted by Deadput on May 4th, 2017 @ 6:53pm CDT
Ok lion head chest flamethrower is cool.

More of that please!
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1879300)
Posted by Kurona on May 4th, 2017 @ 7:07pm CDT
Razorclaw's head is... certainly looking quite a bit different.
Not that I mind. Bring on the Predaking! Wonder if they'll have any Stormbringer or Spotlight Jazz flashbacks with Kup...
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1879304)
Posted by Soundwave902 on May 4th, 2017 @ 7:20pm CDT
So, I guess the Predacons are stranded on Earth following Galvatron's attack.

That probably means Flamefeather, Squawktalk, Beastbox, Cutthroat, Cindersaur, and Red Wing are doing something here too, I'm guessing random appearances in various comics
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1879318)
Posted by Deadput on May 4th, 2017 @ 8:45pm CDT
Soundwave902 wrote:So, I guess the Predacons are stranded on Earth following Galvatron's attack.

Knowing IDW their dead wasted potential or will never be heard from again.
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1879385)
Posted by Silverwing on May 5th, 2017 @ 12:25am CDT
The Predacons have never looked more awesome! And seeing Ironblood, Iron Klaw, and Blitz is making my inner Joe fan geek out too! Honestly, I never really cared for Revolutionaries much, but now I think I might just have to pick it up!
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1879406)
Posted by Big Grim on May 5th, 2017 @ 6:33am CDT
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1879410)
Posted by Kurona on May 5th, 2017 @ 6:52am CDT
Big Grim wrote:Hrm. Might have to read up on Revolutionaries. It has seemed fun from what I've heard.

Its quality fluctuates imo but it's not that bad, and focusing on a smaller ragtag group of characters rather than all the big names and all their teams and all their major antagonists like Revolution had to is most certainly a huge advantage. It's a bit rough around the edges but this sort of thing shows why I was really down on Revolution and the prospect of other big crossovers happening constantly but why I'm actually quite enthusiastic about the shared universe itself; it makes the world a lot bigger and you have the potential for a lot of interesting little connections and team-ups.
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1879468)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on May 5th, 2017 @ 11:39am CDT
Deadput wrote:

Knowing IDW their dead wasted potential or will never be heard from again.

I dunno... although I'm still reading pre-Dark Cybertron stuff, I'd say they're just as likely to give them a Spotlight.

Also, glad to hear IDW is succeeding on multiple fronts. I was just thinking about IDW Predaking from the covers featured a while back.
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1879511)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 5th, 2017 @ 2:26pm CDT

it's pretty good. It, in my opinion, is what Revolution was meant to be but never got to be. it's good, and the Kup/Action Man duo is pretty fun! My favorite human/tf pair up in this universe, right there with Verity and Springer
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1879584)
Posted by Soundwave902 on May 5th, 2017 @ 7:45pm CDT
MagicDeath wrote:
Deadput wrote:

Knowing IDW their dead wasted potential or will never be heard from again.

This probably won't happen, but it would be funny to see a "Revenge Squad" of sorts to attack Sanctuary Station for leaving them behind
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1879850)
Posted by Big Grim on May 7th, 2017 @ 9:43am CDT
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:

Awesome! That kinda human TF interaction is how I like it.
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1879855)
Posted by Kurona on May 7th, 2017 @ 10:08am CDT
Big Grim wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:

Awesome! That kinda human TF interaction is how I like it.

Also kind of helps that Action Man ends up being one of the Revolution comics that's actually pretty good. It's only gone for 4 issues so far which take place before Revolution - I'd recommend them, pretty fun - and Action Man himself is an enjoyable character.
Revolution was a bit of a mess but there are some properties involved that are pretty great.
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1880412)
Posted by Big Grim on May 9th, 2017 @ 8:20am CDT
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1880480)
Posted by Kurona on May 9th, 2017 @ 2:40pm CDT
Big Grim wrote:I got a couple of Action Man issues from the last IDW Humble Bundle. I liked him. He seemed fun!

That's actually every issue of Action Man so far :lol: Revolutionaries has essentially become his ongoing for now.
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1880547)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 9th, 2017 @ 7:28pm CDT

Love the character, and his pairing up with Kup. It is literally perfect
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1880557)
Posted by Big Grim on May 9th, 2017 @ 8:09pm CDT
Kurona wrote:

Really? Huh. I liked him.

D-Maximus_Prime wrote:

Love the character, and his pairing up with Kup. It is literally perfect

This makes me happy. I think I'll check this out!
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1880912)
Posted by Va'al on May 11th, 2017 @ 8:34am CDT
Transform like an Egyptian
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

BLAST FROM THE PAST! In the deadly catacombs beneath an ancient pyramid, Joe Colton—the original G.I. Joe—found something far worse than any curse or boobytrap. He found the Decepticon Soundwave... scouring Earth for Cybertron's salvation. Their meeting remained classified—until the Revolutionaries crashed headlong into the modern-day results!

Cameo 1!

Story

This is a very late review indeed, but one that I had promised myself I would get back to once life had stopped being so busy this side of a keyboard, and before the next issue. So apologies, first of all, and I hope you'll forgive the weird scheduling of it all. Call it 'doing an IDW' if you want. Onwards!

Cameo 2!

The third issue of the strangely appealing Revolutionaries series, or, the Adventures of Action Man and Kup in the Hasbro Universe (and I Guess Some Other Characters Too) delves into some very old and obscure Transformers stories, along with some cinematic classics, and actually delivers a decently satisfying book in its long flashback format - with a bit of a pleasing twist or two towards the end.

Cameo 3!

John Barber nicely works in a lot of backstories for teams we'll probably never really encounter, and still make the various universes fit into the very complex timeline of both GI Joe and Transformers comics (in their IDW incarnation, of course), while also fully revelling in the references and easter eggs scattered throughout the book. It's good to see the fun being had, and the results show.

Art

Ron Joseph's art is an interesting take on what is going in the book, as I felt that the style suited the entirety of the characters really well - especially with the flashback work framing of the story - except for the one entirely non-organic character: Soundwave. Or rather, his head. I have no criticisms anywhere else, but the head/face for the Cybertronian just felt a little off.

But you also get these beauties

Colourist Sebastian Cheng, usually working with Fico Ossio on a much glossier look, does some pretty impressive colour works on here, keeping the sandy, dusty, grainy feel of both the setting in space (Egypt) and time (the past) in a significantly different approach to other books he works with. Very pleasing indeed.

also some nice purples

The usual caption devices, both in narration and exposition, work really really well here, and Tom B. Long makes sure of it, along with some crafty sound effects and production. As for the covers, they are all easily accessible via our database page (along with full character roster too, here), but the one highlighted specifically in the thumbnail is another take by Joseph and TF vet JP Bove on the issue's contents.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Once again, I find myself having to say 'if you're not reading the crossover-y titles, it's fine' but with an issue such as this one, and if you've been an IDW reader for Transformers and/or GI Joe - and trust John 'Continuity' Barber, plus Hedgecock and Mariotte both assisting on editing work - you'll probably enjoy it even if just for the hunt the hints games you can play throughout. It's a step out of the current Talisman story, but still about that story.

Confirmed: Kup is a fan of Josh Boyfriend

With MASK not doing too well editorially, Miles Mayhem gets a bit of a shine here; Micronauts have a cameo (see above, second image); Soundwave is at his snappiest; the ending made the whole thing fit into the current Revolutionaries timeframe, and we have some major hints as to what may happen in the next issues too. Seriously, take some time to give it a chance.

. :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: ½ out of :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO:
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1881349)
Posted by william-james88 on May 12th, 2017 @ 11:47pm CDT
The G1 Predacons are back and at the forefront of this next issue of Revolutionaries.

Check out the preview, courtesy of Multiversity comics, below full of Predacon goodness!

Written by John Barber
Illustrated by Fico Ossio
Colored by Sebastian Cheng
Lettered by Tom B. Long

Cobra Commander vs. Hearts of Steel! Thousands of years ago, a starship crashed on Earth—and the Hearts of Steel Transformers were born… but how can these steampunk Cybertronians be real?! And what does Cobra Commander want with them, when he hasn’t even got Cobra to back him up? The Revolutionaries have uncovered one of the darkest and most incredible secrets on Earth!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
The secret history of Cybertonians on Earth—but how can it be!
Who is behind the Cobra Commander mask?!
Springing from the fan-favorite Transformers: Hearts of Steel limited series!
Variant cover by John Royle!

Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1881510)
Posted by YoungPrime on May 14th, 2017 @ 8:13am CDT
Yeah, I don't like these crossover books were humans take center stage. Even Kup isn't getting the respect he deserves from mouthy, iratating humans.

A Predaking one shot or Mini-series would've been nice, not as minions for some lame human terrorist group!

This book is a pass.
Re: IDW Revolutionaries #4 iTunes Preview (1881623)
Posted by Blozor on May 14th, 2017 @ 4:51pm CDT
I love how all thr humans in Hasbro properties have teams divided between good and bad, amd they know the differences between the good guys and the bad guys, and they wear badges to differentiate between the good guys and the bad guys, but when the Transformers tell them they have good guys and bad guys and there's a way to easily differentiate the good guys from the bad guys, THAT is mind-blowing information.

I mean, you're GI Joe. You fight Cobra. You can handle Autobots and Deceptions.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #264 - Kingdom Come
"Kingdom Come"
Posted: Sunday, November 22nd, 2020

Buy "TRANSFORMERS PRIME ROBOTS IN DISGUISE DELUXE CLASS AIRACHNID" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Earthrise Figure Deluxe Quintesson Allicon - In Hand" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects Star Convoy Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers WFC Earthrise Scorponok - WFC-E25 Titan Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Hasbro War for Cybertron Siege Lot Soundwave Barricade Chromia" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War For Cybertron Siege Netflix Chromia Complete WFC Deluxe" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Earthrise, Decepticon Doublecrosser Battle Masters WFC-E39 Hasbro" on EBAY