IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith

IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith

Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 5:17pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Kurona   Views: 16,687

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

A cute little bit of news for fans of IDW's designs today -- artist Andrew Griffith today tweeted some concept art for Soundwave as he appeared in Robots in Diguise - later simply rechristened 'Transformers' - and as he currently appears in the Optimus Prime comic. Specifically, this concept art concerns Soundwave's new alternate mode as a communications truck, and shows how Griffith envisioned Rumble and Frenzy in their new bike forms deploying for him. In another tweet, Griffith also specifies the type of truck Soundwave is supposed to be -- a three-axle communications-heavy Stryker vehicle! Check out the design below and tell us what you think in the forums!

Transformers News: IDW RiD/OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906076)
Posted by Deadput on August 23rd, 2017 @ 6:58pm CDT
I really like this and I think it would be a cool option for him if there were ever a series where the Decepticons are only military vehicles...cause you know Decepticons and all.


Or maybe just a military Transformers spinoff where all the Transformers are a military vehicle of some type...not necessarily all of them being vehicles with guns but just vehicles used by the military in general.

Also it's pretty clever on how Soundwave's deployment gimmick works here.
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906087)
Posted by Decepticon Stryker on August 23rd, 2017 @ 8:34pm CDT
Looks like this inspired the design for that upcoming activity book.
Transformers-My-Busy-Book-001.jpg
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906089)
Posted by Deadput on August 23rd, 2017 @ 8:44pm CDT
Decepticon Stryker wrote:Looks like this inspired the design for that upcoming activity book.
Transformers-My-Busy-Book-001.jpg


That just looks like a regular SUV like Animated Soundwave and some other versions of him are.
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906148)
Posted by wolverinetodd on August 24th, 2017 @ 6:02am CDT
Looks like Universe (Classics 2.0) Ultra Class Onslaught.
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906523)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on August 25th, 2017 @ 9:42pm CDT
Here's a larger preview of Optimus Prime #10: https://www.newsarama.com/36121-in-memo ... eview.html
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906524)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on August 25th, 2017 @ 9:46pm CDT
Nik Hero wrote:Here's a larger preview of Optimus Prime #10: https://www.newsarama.com/36121-in-memo ... eview.html


Warning: There are big spoilers to Galvatron's origin in that preview!
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906568)
Posted by Va'al on August 26th, 2017 @ 6:24am CDT
Courtesy of fellow Seibertronian Nik Hero, and via Newsarama, we have the full preview for next week's flashback heavy issue of Optimus Prime from IDW Publishing! Check it all out below, and beware of some fairly significant story spoilers for Galvatron, and some of the other characters that immediately show up.

Optimus Prime #10
John Barber (w) • Livio Ramondelli & Kei Zama (a) • Kei Zama (c)
THE RETURN OF GALVATRON THE BARBARIAN! Optimus Prime meets with Alpha Trion, the ancient sage, who reveals a tale of Cybertron's earliest days, when the original Thirteen Primes united the world. But even then, the warrior known as Galvatron was a wild card... shaping the future in unexpected ways.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Bullet points:
· Leads directly into this month’s First Strike event!
· Variant cover by Andrew MacLean!


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906577)
Posted by Randomhero on August 26th, 2017 @ 8:05am CDT
Well there's arcee and Galvatron before the first war. I forgot she mentioned in the last issue she had a brother and he died because she stood there and watch THEM kill him. It's a really cool take on both of them.
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906584)
Posted by Tigertrack on August 26th, 2017 @ 9:49am CDT
Randomhero wrote:Well there's arcee and Galvatron before the first war. I forgot she mentioned in the last issue she had a brother and he died because she stood there and watch THEM killed him. It's a really cool take on both of them.


Yeah that was cool, and there's an interesting piece of history to be revealed and built up. Who knew. #spoilers
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906595)
Posted by ricemazter on August 26th, 2017 @ 10:33am CDT
Tigertrack wrote:
Randomhero wrote:Well there's arcee and Galvatron before the first war. I forgot she mentioned in the last issue she had a brother and he died because she stood there and watch THEM killed him. It's a really cool take on both of them.


Yeah that was cool, and there's an interesting piece of history to be revealed and built up. Who knew. #spoilers


Wait, who's who in this preview? I'm confused.
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906596)
Posted by BumbleDouche on August 26th, 2017 @ 10:40am CDT
ricemazter wrote:
Tigertrack wrote:
Randomhero wrote:Well there's arcee and Galvatron before the first war. I forgot she mentioned in the last issue she had a brother and he died because she stood there and watch THEM killed him. It's a really cool take on both of them.


Yeah that was cool, and there's an interesting piece of history to be revealed and built up. Who knew. #spoilers


Wait, who's who in this preview? I'm confused.


Yeah, tell me about it... Livio's craptastic art strikes again!
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906599)
Posted by KingofVIZ on August 26th, 2017 @ 11:02am CDT
I think the big guy is Megatronus
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906606)
Posted by Randomhero on August 26th, 2017 @ 11:35am CDT
The brothers are Galvatron and Arcee and the big dude with the firey arms is Megatronus of the thirteen. Even I don't like Livio but I can tell and it's not that bad in this issue.
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906611)
Posted by Kurona on August 26th, 2017 @ 12:06pm CDT
Yeah, Livio's come a long way since Chaos. Not an artstyle I enjoy, but it's at the point where it's fine now imo.
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906617)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 26th, 2017 @ 12:43pm CDT
"Septimus Prime..." Goodness, they really need some better Prime names, even if he is a fake prime.

But this looks to be really cool. Arcee and Galvatron. Huh.
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906619)
Posted by ScottyP on August 26th, 2017 @ 12:48pm CDT
This gon' be good :D
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906621)
Posted by Tigertrack on August 26th, 2017 @ 12:52pm CDT
Kurona wrote:Yeah, Livio's come a long way since Chaos. Not an artstyle I enjoy, but it's at the point where it's fine now imo.


He has, and I don't enjoy it as much either, but he does do great work, I just think most of his great work is in other franchises, but I appreciate that he has a style and look all his own, he embraces it, and does well with it.
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906622)
Posted by ebonyleopard on August 26th, 2017 @ 12:53pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:The brothers are Galvatron and Arcee and the big dude with the firey arms is Megatronus of the thirteen. Even I don't like Livio but I can tell and it's not that bad in this issue.


What makes you say it's Arcee, though I guess I could be thanks to Mark's spotlight story this version was a male bit at some point so Arcee in the comics is a Trans-Transformer.
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906624)
Posted by ebonyleopard on August 26th, 2017 @ 12:57pm CDT
Tigertrack wrote:
Kurona wrote:Yeah, Livio's come a long way since Chaos. Not an artstyle I enjoy, but it's at the point where it's fine now imo.


He has, and I don't enjoy it as much either, but he does do great work, I just think most of his great work is in other franchises, but I appreciate that he has a style and look all his own, he embraces it, and does well with it.


The styli itself is fine but he still needs to spend time keeping characters on some semblance of model and recognizability. You shouldn't need to guess or TFWiki look up who you are looking at in an issue. Especially when he tries to add cameos.
Re: IDW RiD / OP Soundwave concept art by Andrew Griffith (1906626)
Posted by Tigertrack on August 26th, 2017 @ 12:58pm CDT
Ebonyleopard wrote:
Randomhero wrote:The brothers are Galvatron and Arcee and the big dude with the firey arms is Megatronus of the thirteen. Even I don't like Livio but I can tell and it's not that bad in this issue.


What makes you say it's Arcee, though I guess I could be thanks to Mark's spotlight story this version was a male bit at some point so Arcee in the comics is a Trans-Transformer.


The one Galvatron has an axe, the other carries two swords. One of the alternate covers shows Galvatron and Arcee, and as mentioned before by RH, Arcee has said recently that she has a brother killed before her eyes.

The issue will provide more 'solid' evidence, as well...

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Silverbolt Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Protectobot Hot Spot Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Predaking Figure [Amazon Exclusive](Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Power Series Megatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
Twincast / Podcast #289:
"No Thanks Given"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer Set- Blurr, Boulder, Chase" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Commander Class Megatron Figure Sealed AA173" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON WFC-S32 BLACKJACK & HYPERDRIVE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Powertrain & Highjump Siege War for Cybertron Micromaster" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Commander Class Optimus Prime Figure Sealed Z943" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers WFC-S44 Siege Battlemasters Singe War for Cybertron Target" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG37 Ravage & Bullhorn Takara Tomy Japan" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime Action Figure Incomplete" on EBAY