IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne

IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne

Thursday, July 20th, 2017 4:44am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 12,884

To round off the review for IDW Publishing's first issue of Rom vs Transformers: Shining Armor, we have some character designs of robot characters - you know, our side of the vs equation - courtesy of arist Alex Milne on Twitter. Specifically, we get a look at 200 years ago (so still in the Aubotot-Decepticon war) Starscream and Bumblebee, plus new character Stardrive. Check them out!

Since ROM vs Transformers 1 is out today, let me share some fun stuff with you. We will start with Bee :)

Here is the design for my boy Starscream in ROM vs Transformers He's so much fun to draw

My design for Stardrive. Only some slight modifications were made to her head crest for her look in the comic.

Transformers News: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne

Credit(s): Alex Milne

Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1897814)
Posted by Kurona on July 20th, 2017 @ 5:09am CDT
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1897818)
Posted by Randomhero on July 20th, 2017 @ 6:03am CDT
Kurona wrote:I loved these designs a lot in the comic -- though one thing that confused me is the strange bolts on the tires of both Bumblebee and Stardrive. Was that just a thing for Cybertronians a few centuries ago? Was Tracks trying to spread his new fashion?

Think about it. Their tires are practical because their roads are metal which would require an enormomous amount of traction.

While no doubt a coincidence it was touched on in all hail Megatron when they were driving on cybertron they were having problems driving because their tires were meant for earth terrain and not cybertron.
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1897821)
Posted by Randomhero on July 20th, 2017 @ 7:28am CDT
I really liked the story. I think it's fun and like I've said before I enjoy cross overs. Not just because it has transformers but most crossovers. In my opinion they do less harm than what some say they do and I enjoy interactions with characters you wouldn't think would.

I really enjoyed the easer eggs of the Chinese transformers online game. The cons that get killed are not generics but characters in that game.

For anyone wondering Stardrive is Camien. John has come out and said that's where she's from and her blue energon is meant to reveal that.
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1897827)
Posted by BG the Robit on July 20th, 2017 @ 8:36am CDT
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1897842)
Posted by Randomhero on July 20th, 2017 @ 10:24am CDT
Bee's Girlfriend wrote:I think Stardrive looks like a mix of Lost Light Drift and Chromedome, but as a Camien in this picture.

In other words, the current generic Alex design

Honestly I'm just thankful she doesn't have window boobs like almost every female transformer he designed in more than meets the eye. Seriously, if go back to the story that introduced firestar every female transformer except the hulk looking one has the same torso. It was annoying
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1897858)
Posted by Big Grim on July 20th, 2017 @ 10:59am CDT
I'm liking the look of this. Might just have to pick it up!
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1898109)
Posted by WreckerJack on July 20th, 2017 @ 5:15pm CDT
Stardrive looks like Strongarm but more sweet and gentle in that sketch.

*looks up on TFwiki*

... Or terrifying.
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1898111)
Posted by Va'al on July 20th, 2017 @ 5:18pm CDT
WreckerJack wrote:Stardrive looks like Strongarm but more sweet and gentle in that sketch.

*looks up on TFwiki*

... Or terrifying.

You mean the image they lifted from the cropped version I posted in my review? Sure. ;)
(and this is why we use our database, and not TFwiki.)
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1898190)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on July 20th, 2017 @ 7:35pm CDT
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1898235)
Posted by ScottyP on July 20th, 2017 @ 10:07pm CDT
Va'al wrote:

*looks up on TFwiki*

... Or terrifying.

(and this is why we use our database, and not TFwiki.)
To be completely fair, I'll have enough time to do character profiles and catch them up by 2035. (Anyone that wants to help though, get in touch!)
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1898308)
Posted by Va'al on July 21st, 2017 @ 7:11am CDT
Daniel Adkins wrote:You sure they didn't just crop their own version of that same panel? I mean, it is a pretty awesome panel.

I just wanted to side-eye people on staff using TFwiki images when I post the exact same one. ;)
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1899204)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 24th, 2017 @ 12:01pm CDT
It was a great first issue, and this shows that what I was hoping for in this crossover is happening. It is turning out good and I like it a lot
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1901172)
Posted by Va'al on August 1st, 2017 @ 4:08am CDT
As we've seen the colours (by Josh Perez) in the October solicitations for IDW Publishing's Transformers comics, we now also have the ink-heavy lineart by artist Alex Milne for Rom vs Transformers: Shining Armor #4! Stardrive, Bumblebee, Rom himself, and an ugly situation with Dire Wraith limbs await you below.

Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1901397)
Posted by Big Grim on August 2nd, 2017 @ 10:19am CDT
Kinda giving me the "Skids in Limbo" vibes of UK G1! I like it!
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1903589)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on August 10th, 2017 @ 10:17pm CDT
iTunes preview for issue #2 is here! https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/rom-vs ... 8468?mt=11
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1903613)
Posted by william-james88 on August 10th, 2017 @ 11:31pm CDT
Via iTunes, we have a short preview for the second issue of the new Hasbro Universe crossover event Rom vs Transformers: Shining Armor - with art by Alex Milne, written by John Barber. Check it out below, and join the discussion in the Energon Pub!

Starscream forges an unholy pact with the Dire Wraiths and Bumblebee and Ultra Magnus are hot on his trail. Unfortunately for them, Rom and the Solstar Knights don't know the difference between Autobots and Decepticons and they're ready to fight all comers!

Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1903625)
Posted by ratchetneededthat on August 11th, 2017 @ 12:12am CDT
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1903679)
Posted by Randomhero on August 11th, 2017 @ 8:36am CDT
ratchetneededthat wrote:Glad to see Dirge being used again. So this is why he abandoned the Decepticons in the RID ongoing, nobody listens to orders. (And that he and Deluge were essentially abandoned on Cybertron) I wish Dirge was used now as much as he was during RID. His last appearance was when Wheeljack came back. :(

That's my only pet peeve about rid/TF/op is introducing characters, giving them character and time and then forgetting them.

Tappet, Zetca, waspinator, scoop, dirge, dreading . Really interesting characters that after a while become background characters that might get a line if they're lucky
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1903757)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 11th, 2017 @ 3:43pm CDT
The art is glorious, and yay Dirge!
Re: IDW Rom Vs. Transformers: Shining Armor Character Designs by Alex Milne (1903765)
Posted by Kurona on August 11th, 2017 @ 4:08pm CDT
Yeah, it is a shame that Dirge hasn't showed up more since RiD. That comic made me actually care about a Conehead; which is an incredible feat in and of itself -- I'm hoping Shining Armour'll give us a little glimpse of his disillusionment with the Decepticon Cause, much like Spotlight: Thundercracker did for another blue seeker.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 8 Newman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots Academy Salvage" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots  Brushfire and Salvage Recycling" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Flip Racers Car & Rescue Bots Flip Salvage Recycling" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Battle Masters Blowpipe" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Iron Factory IF EX-27 Shrike's Feather Streamwing (Slipstream)" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Earthrise Decepticon Airwave Deluxe Class War for Cybertron" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Bumblebee Rescue Guard" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS TITANS RETURN - WINGSPAN & CLOUDRAKER - WALGREENS EXCLUSIVE" on EBAY