IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced

Transformers News: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced

Tuesday, June 19th, 2018 9:08PM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal   Views: 13,241

Thanks to a number of users, we have word that a new crossover is coming our way, but not one you would expect in any way. No, this is not a Hasbro Universe Crossover event, but rather a fun little event that sees our beloved Transformers face off against Captain Kirk and the Starship Enterprise!

This crossover was announced earlier today, and is set to feature the Transformers, as based on their 1984 cartoon selves, facing off with the Star Trek characters from the Star Trek: The Animated Series show, which began in 1973. This will not connect in any way to any other IDW Transformers story, and is simply a fun little 4 part comic that finally mashes up 2 iconic brands.

The series is being written by John Barber and Mike Johnson, and will feature the artistic talent of Philip Murphy and colorist Leonardo Ito. The first issue is set to hit in September, to help fill that empty space when the current IDW Transformers continuity ends.

Check out the original article HERE, catch some snippets below, and let us know what you think of Captain Kirk and the Starship Enterprise coming face to faceplate with Optimus Prime!

Transformers News: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Series Discussion Thread

Transformers News: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Series Discussion Thread

io9 can exclusively reveal that this September will see the launch of Star Trek vs. Transformers, a new crossover miniseries from the creative team of writers John Barber and Mike Johnson, alongside artist Philip Murphy and colorist Leonardo Ito. The series—which will run for four issues—is inspired by the aesthetic and continuities from the cartoon iterations of both Trek and Transformers: the 1973 cult classic Star Trek: The Animated Series, and the original 1984 Transformers show.

.....

“This is a crossover several decades in the making, and we could not be more thrilled to bring it to fans,” Johnson said in a press release provided to io9. “John and I are having a blast writing the first meeting of Starfleet and Cybertronians, and Phil is the perfect artist to bring these two franchises together on the page.”
Credit(s): iO9

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965691)
Posted by #Sideways# on June 19th, 2018 @ 9:16pm CDT
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965692)
Posted by Caelus on June 19th, 2018 @ 9:21pm CDT
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965707)
Posted by Randomhero on June 19th, 2018 @ 9:46pm CDT
Caelus wrote:Whose shin is behind Spock in that cover? It's white and blocky with a little red. Feel like we should recognize it right of the bat, but I guess it could be a series-specific design (e.g., Jetfire with a Federation Shuttlecraft altmode).

Metroplex
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965711)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on June 19th, 2018 @ 10:15pm CDT
#Sideways# wrote:

Why NOT?
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965714)
Posted by Nexus Knight on June 19th, 2018 @ 10:38pm CDT
:michaelbay: Just... :michaelbay:
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965717)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 19th, 2018 @ 11:00pm CDT
Honestly, I could not get through Star Trek: The Animated Series at all. I sat through the first five episodes but, aside from Episode 2 being decent, the other four were such a slog to sit through that I practically had to force myself to endure them. The animation was just so limited and error-ridden that it made contemporaneous Hanna-Barbera animation look like that of Studio Ghibli by comparison. And the writing made the worst episodes of The Original Series look like the best episodes of Next Gen and DS9. If it ever improved I wouldn't know, but I just could not sit through that series whose first impression gave off a vibe of being just painfully mediocre (save for, again, the decent second episode).

Therefore, I'm not really sure if I can get behind this comic series if it's really going to hew more towards the animated series than not.
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965720)
Posted by Burn on June 19th, 2018 @ 11:06pm CDT
Well, it can't possibly be any worse than Transformers vs Visionaries!
Please don't let me be wrong.
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965724)
Posted by Ultra Markus on June 19th, 2018 @ 11:40pm CDT
does this mean we will see something like this
<!-- ia0 -->1367019462-1.jpg<!-- ia0 -->
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965730)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on June 20th, 2018 @ 1:23am CDT
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965733)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 20th, 2018 @ 1:42am CDT
Now this is interesting...I do wish they could have redesigned windblade to get her to fit into the sunbrow ascetic better. I don't mind her there are this more than proves that she'll be in the new continuity, and if she's there then victorion will be there as well.
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965734)
Posted by warmech95 on June 20th, 2018 @ 1:52am CDT
I love this idea!

can't wait to how it all goes and if we get to see the decepticon and enterprise science officers combine into the the most powerful being of logic in the entire universe.

Tremble before the might SPOCKWAVE!

i think this is gonna be so much fun
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965738)
Posted by Coptur on June 20th, 2018 @ 2:31am CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:70's animated Star Trek meets 80's animated Transformers...so why's Windblade there throwing off the whole thing?

I like Windblade but she doesn't need to be in this story.
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965741)
Posted by Big Grim on June 20th, 2018 @ 3:42am CDT
Blast! Hoped fer a news report for the first time since I was news crew! (God! That was sooooooo long ago! :) ) Ah well. :)

Burn wrote:Well, it can't possibly be any worse than Transformers vs Visionaries!
Please don't let me be wrong.

Surely nothing could be worse than TS V Visionaries.

warmech95 wrote:Tremble before the might SPOCKWAVE!

i think this is gonna be so much fun

Ouch! Bad joke alert! :D And I agree, I think this could be a laugh.

Coptur wrote:I like Windblade but she doesn't need to be in this story.

Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965743)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 20th, 2018 @ 4:10am CDT
It could also be that Barber wanted to use her. Let's not have a go about the cast of this series till it's out and we see how they were all used. There's also a possibility that she's only on that cover, and we all know covers are not to be taken literally.
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965752)
Posted by Caelus on June 20th, 2018 @ 7:11am CDT
Windblade is one of the more diplomatically minded Autobots, so it makes sense to me for her to have a role in a Trek crossover.

Also from a narrative standpoint flyers are useful, and the Autobots don't have very many. Jetfire and Cosmos would be fun to see in a Trek crossover, though.
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965760)
Posted by Black Hat on June 20th, 2018 @ 8:45am CDT
Well that was THE last crossover I expected the Transformers to be in. I have to say, my hopes aren't exactly high, especially given the presence of HI I'M WINDBLADE yet again. Granted I'm not a Trekkie, but this isn't going to change that methinks.

Funny, we get all these weird crossovers with franchises that make absolutely no sense to crossover with (even Evangelion, as much as I love it, seems a bit weird to pair up with Transformers) and none with series that would actually be fitting. Like, imagine a Brave x Transformers official crossover, or Macross x Transformers!
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965764)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on June 20th, 2018 @ 8:52am CDT
Black Hat wrote:Macross x Transformers!

I wouldn't mind that just for a shot of chunky toon Jetfire/Skyfire envying the sleeker forms of the Valkyries. :P
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965767)
Posted by Black Hat on June 20th, 2018 @ 9:11am CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:
Black Hat wrote:Macross x Transformers!

That would be very funny, yeah. Either that or "Huh. These things look familiar somehow..." :lol:
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965785)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 20th, 2018 @ 11:09am CDT
Black Hat wrote:
Carnivius_Prime wrote:
Black Hat wrote:Macross x Transformers!

Macross x tf would get my vote if the toy companies could work together :-P then we could also get gundam x tf as well.

Brave x TF would work really well. When Animated was airing my personal headcanon was that Volfrogg was Prowls mentor, having landed in the animated verse after the events of GaoGaiGar Final...Come on you know it makes sense ;-) till Animated went and introduced Prowls mentor anyway
...
Re: IDW Star Trek Vs. Transformers Crossover Series Announced (1965793)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on June 20th, 2018 @ 11:55am CDT
Coptur wrote:I like Windblade but she doesn't need to be in this story.

Hasbro wants their fan designed character every where. We just gotta live with it. I don't mind myself.[/quote]

I honestly don't mind Wingblade being in this. Thankfully though, Transformers 7 was canceled so the possibilty of Bayformers Wingblade is eliminated. Don't get me wrong, I like Bayformers and I think Wingblade is OK. But, I also like blue cheese and I like cake, and I would hate if they were mixed together :SICK:
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #203 - Light Bringer