IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview

IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview

Friday, April 15th, 2016 1:11pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 20,713

The other Transformers comics update today from IDW comes via Newsarama, who have the full preview for The Transformers #52 out next week! Make sure to check out the whole thing below, and head back here for the Seibertron.com review on Wednesday.

Transformers #52
John Barber (w) • Livio Ramondelli (a) Andrew Griffith (c)
ALL HAIL OPTIMUS part 3! OPTIMUS PRIME has declared the Earth to be his territory… but even he can’t go it alone. Now he reaches out across the galaxy to form a coalition—of old friends and older enemies.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Bullet points:
· Special guest artist Livio Ramondelli takes us to CYBERTRON and beyond!
· Who will stand with Optimus—and who will turn against him?
· Part of IDW’s “Art Appreciation Month” promotion!
· Variant Cover by Priscilla Tramontano!

Transformers News: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview

Credit(s): Newsarama

Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1781540)
Posted by Optimizzy on April 15th, 2016 @ 1:45pm CDT
huh. i think I missed an issue...
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1781549)
Posted by DeathReviews on April 15th, 2016 @ 2:08pm CDT
CHANK!
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1781552)
Posted by Randomhero on April 15th, 2016 @ 2:12pm CDT
Theres some good stuff going on here. I'm really looking forward to this
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1781555)
Posted by Optimizzy on April 15th, 2016 @ 2:18pm CDT
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1781559)
Posted by Va'al on April 15th, 2016 @ 2:22pm CDT
Optimizzy wrote:when did blackrock become all roboty-looking? I thought last issue he still sported a human face?

Already at the end of #50 we see the under-human Cybertronian side - was that not something you've come across?
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1781560)
Posted by Optimizzy on April 15th, 2016 @ 2:30pm CDT
Dr Va'al wrote:

I dunno. Maybe. It's been a while so I might have just forgotten about it or didn't think it would alter his appearance. It's possible that the art shift didn't help either cause I really didn't know who was what until I thought about it. I seriously thought he was some robo-butler at first glance.
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1781568)
Posted by Randomhero on April 15th, 2016 @ 2:50pm CDT
Optimizzy wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:

Real reason, Livio can't draw people.

It's amazing that we've seen all these locations in previous issues where they are all brightly lit and colorful...then Livio comes in and turns them all into dark, murky nothing areas and treats every place like everyone is saving on their electric bills.
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1781664)
Posted by LE0KING on April 15th, 2016 @ 10:13pm CDT
Yeah, I've never been a fan of his art. It just looks messy. I catch myself just reading the words and not even paying attention to the pictures.
But he's been around for a while, so I'll just have to get over it.
Speaking of artists, what ever happened to Stone? Do we know?
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1781733)
Posted by Va'al on April 16th, 2016 @ 6:13am CDT
LE0KING wrote:Speaking of artists, what ever happened to Stone? Do we know?

Personal issues is all we're told. Shame, though. :(
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1781821)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on April 16th, 2016 @ 11:14am CDT
Amelie wrote:Livio is IDW equivalent to Marvel UK's Jeff Anderson.
Is that good or bad? (Never read Marvel UK, don't know who Anderson is.)
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1781903)
Posted by LE0KING on April 16th, 2016 @ 3:31pm CDT
Dr Va'al wrote:
LE0KING wrote:Speaking of artists, what ever happened to Stone? Do we know?

Personal issues is all we're told. Shame, though. :(

That's too bad, I'll miss her taking my giant murder-bots and making them pretty.
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1781966)
Posted by Ironhidensh on April 16th, 2016 @ 7:11pm CDT
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1782002)
Posted by Randomhero on April 16th, 2016 @ 11:36pm CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:Pure rubish. Given the past history of both Optimus and Starscream, for the council to take Screamers side over Prime is ridiculous. Like, takes me out if the story ridiculous.

I'd agree but this is not the full comic or the entire scene. It's just the first couple pages.

I do however can't not think that Starscream was one of the first decepticons to attempt an invasion on earth back in the -action series and participate in the all out assault on earth AND return to earth in the ongoing with the rest of the Decepticons. That can't be ignored.
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1782016)
Posted by Va'al on April 17th, 2016 @ 2:50am CDT
Randomhero wrote:

Does the council know that, though? He brokered a fair few of those deals himself, where Windblade didn't, and I'm certain he didn't let slip that he had expansionist tactics in the past.
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1782045)
Posted by Randomhero on April 17th, 2016 @ 8:06am CDT
Dr Va'al wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

Even if they don't it feels it should come up. He is in charge of a planet that is populated by NAILs that knew his reputation of being one of megatrons top lieutenants during the war. We learned that from Skybyte all the way back in issue 5. Just feels a little odd that his past has never been brought up or brought up yet at least.

Hey remember NAILs? Remember how important they used to be? Tappet hasn't shown up in a comic for over 30 issues. After Metalhawk and Hippotanks deaths he-other than Zetca- was the only NAIL with a name or role.
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1782899)
Posted by Va'al on April 20th, 2016 @ 9:56am CDT
More Like Optimus Prick
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

:D

Story

We continue the ride of All Hail Optimus, in the third chapter of this fairly long arc, as positions and setting start shifting around, after the immediate fall out - in last month's issue - of the annexation of unwilling Earth to the Council of Worlds. And that means Starscream gets to do some things too, and he does them with words.

And others listen

What is particularly pleasing in the issue, is how John Barber uses the actions of Starscream - from whom we've come to expect manipulative behaviour - to comment upon those of Optimus himself, as he just sort of casually wanders over to other potential allies and audiences. Being all complex-y and stuff.

*tiny violins playing*

There is another fairly intense narrative strand running alongside Optimus' manipulations - one that we might expect from the main cover, and that sees once precarious collaborators Arcee and Galvatron ..er, airing some concerns with each other. Think of it as a very heated (heh) conversation, with some more excellent writing for the former.

Well done, Barber

The scene above is also the main source of action for the book, so enjoy it if that is your dish. For the more politics and sleight of hand and tongue inclined readers, this is a full course meal, with weaving, waving, twining and a bit of a kick to the side - and some intriguing seeding happening in between.

Art

Art duties are brought back to Livio Ramondelli, after a long break, and I have to admit I had some difficulties this time round. The linework is what we have come to expect, and I am aware some readers are not fans. We do get some interesting cinematic layouts though, and clarity in more dynamic sequences - never a bad thing.

And Buster!

Where I had some issues was in the colouring, which, while lightening the usually fairly heavy look of Ramondelli's pages, has somewhat reduced my enjoyment of the art overall. This is not the case across the board, though, as there are some scenes that still work really quite well even in the lighter hues - but something struck me as different from the usual.

Mustafar?

While there is little of prominent display for the lettering of Tom B. Long, sometimes that is just the mark of skill you need as a reminder of the craft. The covers, on the other hand, do something flashier, with Andrew Griffith and Josh Burcham covering Galvatron vs Arcee, Burcham all alone playing around with Age of Extinction and Skylynx, Casey Coller and Joana Lafuente homaging 'The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living' for Art History month, and the thumbnailed Phase6 exclusive sees a collaboration between Griffith and Naoto Tsushima, with Josh Perez on colours, as a tribute to Drift.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

If the visual side of things had me distancing myself, on first read, from appreciating the story as such, but going back to it there are some really good advancements from both a contextual and world-building perspective, and for the narrative at hand itself, too. The political intrigue of early RID is back once again, though a lot more is clearly at stake at this point in the game.

That's just... Primes

In fact, think less Game of Thrones and more House of Cards, in how the various parts move around on the table, with some of the best Starscream and Arcee around (you know what I mean) and, I reluctantly say this, given his character, even some of the best Optimus writing for a while. To me, he never held any appeal as a leader - now, this new layer of whatever is going on with him? Yes, I want to see how far he'll go.

. :RUBSIGN: :RUBSIGN: :RUBSIGN: :RUBSIGN: out of :RUBSIGN: :RUBSIGN: :RUBSIGN: :RUBSIGN: :RUBSIGN:
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1782908)
Posted by Randomhero on April 20th, 2016 @ 10:26am CDT
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1782911)
Posted by Va'al on April 20th, 2016 @ 10:34am CDT
Randomhero wrote:I enjoyed this issue. I loved the story: I hated the art but the story was really good. Not really sure how to take Optimus being the 13th. I know that's how the aligned did it but that was a continuity where God is real and everyone knows it. That's not how IDW works especially since the thirteen in IDW are just leaders of tribes and not children of God. I guess maybe his spark was removed and put back in the ground? That sounds rediculous but we know Optimus is a forged point one percentor

I think that is what they're suggesting, but not necessarily what will happen. The interpretations of the Primes, Knights, gods and what have you seem to differ across the series, mostly due to the fact that believers and non-believers are telling those stories at different moments.

So, on the one hand, the Mistress believes the 13 to be deities. On the other, OP himself does not - but he seems to be pulling a Starscream here, and has been for a while.
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1782944)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on April 20th, 2016 @ 12:03pm CDT
There are 2 things that I am looking at and I'm still not very sure about.

1) The Arisen. The Mistress claims it to be Optimus, but as the Solicitations from today are anything to go on, Sentinel is going to show up and potentially cast doubts on that. Also, as was already said, the 13 have been shown to be leaders, not mystical, and Prime knows they aren't mystical. And I don't see how Optimus could be one of the 13, so I very much doubt that he is. Watch, it will actually be Sentinel who is the arisen.

2) Prime's personality. He has really gone off in a different direction since Dark Cybertron. Yes, his original mission was just to get Alpha Trion back, but then the enigma showed up, leading him to want to learn more and then being influenced by it, and now he wants the planet to be part of Cybertron. And they are leading up to a big thing where Prowl's personality is poisoning Prime, and Prowl will make a return to the series. This is definitely a Prime that has some semblence of the former self, but now how some Prowl, it is kinda frightening how Prowl like he can be "No Cosmos, I want him to bow to ME". Yikes.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Earth is a colony, and in all actuality there is a second Fortress Maximus residing within the planet that is going to rise along with Sentinel :MAXIMAL:
Re: IDW The Transformers #52 Full Preview (1782947)
Posted by Va'al on April 20th, 2016 @ 12:09pm CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:Watch, it will actually be Sentinel who is the arisen.

Now that is an interesting development you pointed out. :-?

2) "No Cosmos, I want him to bow to ME". Yikes.

That line was chilling, and yes, a good indication of what he is becoming/has become. I liked your summary of his arc.

Yeah, Earth as a colony makes perfect sense. For a number of reasons.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers 2016 Generations Titans Return Deluxe Class SKULLSMASHER & GRAX!" on EBAY
Buy "Takara TOMY Transformers Legends LG32 Chromedome Headmasters Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers robots in disguise generations Megatron, Scourge, Primus and More!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Skullsmasher Grax Skullcruncher g1 headmaster wfc" on EBAY
Buy "SUPER 7 REACTION TRANSFORMERS GOLD ARMOR BUMBLEBEE ACTION FIGURE NEW IN HAND" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Vector Prime Prime Master" on EBAY
Buy "DECEPTICON BERSERKER PREMIER EDITION TRANSFORMERS THE LAST KNIGHT" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers: 2017 Generations Power of the Primes Vector Prime Prime Master" on EBAY