IDW Titans Return Full Preview

IDW Titans Return Full Preview

Sunday, July 24th, 2016 11:56am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 25,957

And finally, our third preview from IDW Publishing sees the one-shot issue co-written by John Barber, Mairghread Scott and James Roberts that starts the Titans Return mini-event in the Transformers comics - check it out in full below, let us know what you think, and expect a review on new comic book day!

Transformers: Titans Return One-shot
Mairghread Scott, James Roberts, John Barber (w) • Livio Ramondelli (a & c)
THE LAST AUTOBOT! Once he ruled CYBERTRON with a brutal (and literal) iron fist... left for dead four million years ago, SENTINEL PRIME is back. But in a world where STARSCREAM rules CYBERTON, OPTIMUS PRIME has invaded Earth, and MEGATRON is an AUTOBOT—SENTINEL doesn’t like what he sees!
FC • 40 pages • $4.99

Bullet points:
The story continues in TRANSFORMERS #56 and MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE #56 next month, and expands to TILL ALL ARE ONE this fall!
For the first time ever—Scott, Roberts, and Barber working together on one story!
Plus the powerful noir art of superstar Livio Ramondelli!
After OPTIMUS is hailed; after the LIGHT dies... the next phase of TRANSFORMERS comics starts here!

Transformers News: IDW Titans Return Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Titans Return Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Titans Return Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Titans Return Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Titans Return Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Titans Return Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Titans Return Full Preview

Credit(s): IDW, Nerdspan

Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1808717)
Posted by Kurona on July 24th, 2016 @ 12:06pm CDT
Well there's your explanation, guys - he was a Headmaster all along!
Loving that Acme Comics cover.

Anyone else think this comic takes place before Dying of the Light? The way everyone's talking so casually about being on the ship and not mourning... certain things... the fact Megatron's still saying he's renounced violence; seems to be that way to me. Not saying it DEFINITELY is, but I get that vibe.
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1808732)
Posted by reVelske on July 24th, 2016 @ 12:24pm CDT
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1808744)
Posted by Randomhero on July 24th, 2016 @ 12:41pm CDT
Kurona wrote:Well there's your explanation, guys - he was a Headmaster all along!
Loving that Acme Comics cover.

I don't think he's always been a headmaster but it's a good explanation to how's he alive.

The MTMTE takes place during the 2 month gap between 49-59...also because it says 3 weeks earlier.
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1808759)
Posted by LE0KING on July 24th, 2016 @ 1:59pm CDT
reVelske wrote:The art is great! This is the first time I've seen Livio Ramondelli's art being so clean, clear and crisp. Do we have Livio himself to thank for this or whoever did the colouring?

I didn't even realize it was Ramondelli! If he keeps this up, I won't hate his work anymore. Then who will I have to complain about?
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1808784)
Posted by ricemazter on July 24th, 2016 @ 4:05pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:
Loving that Acme Comics cover.

I'm not so sure. I think this might take place after dying. With the two exhibits, one is a flower from necroworld which means this takes place either after issue 44 or after dying. The second is a little hat thing which is really similar to the one the galactic council admiral is wearing in the preview for issue 55. Unless they had another encounter with the galactic council where they got a free hat, I think this might be after dying. Also, I think three weeks earlier just means three weeks earlier from the real starting point of the titans return issue, which could be anytime for all I know.
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1808814)
Posted by Randomhero on July 24th, 2016 @ 5:53pm CDT
ricemazter wrote:
Randomhero wrote:
Loving that Acme Comics cover.

They got a hat for Rodimus in issue 13 on Hedonia when took a break to drink and sight see, the flower is from the first time they visited the Necroworld.

Sorry I meant #49-50.

Also Megatron is mentioning his new found pacifism. You don't announce your a pacifist, pick up a fusion can again, kill around 100 decepticons then start spouting pacifism again. This takes place before "dying of the light"
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1808831)
Posted by ricemazter on July 24th, 2016 @ 7:27pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:
ricemazter wrote:
Randomhero wrote:
Loving that Acme Comics cover.

Sorry I meant #49-50.

Ah, though you gotta admit, that hat is a dead ringer for the admiral's.
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1808832)
Posted by Randomhero on July 24th, 2016 @ 7:37pm CDT
It's suppose to.

Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1808845)
Posted by MrBlack on July 24th, 2016 @ 8:46pm CDT

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/ ... 2469899265
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1808869)
Posted by Randomhero on July 24th, 2016 @ 10:29pm CDT
MrBlack wrote:The MTMTE bit of the one shot takes place before the Dying of the Light, per the word of god.

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/ ... 2469899265

Thank you! I swear he's said that weeks ago
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1809477)
Posted by Va'al on July 27th, 2016 @ 8:19am CDT
Head Start
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

I'll take revenge murder plot for 500, Alex

Story

The last couple of months (years?) have had a lot of change in the world of the Transformers - since Dark Cybertron ended, Dawn of the Autobots and Days of Deception happened, Megatron had several changes of heart, Windblade erupted into the world, Optimus started his journey to True Prick Prime status, Starscream actually still rules Cybertron, and the ex-colonies have returned. Now, imagine you were left for dead when you were a fascistic despot bent on superweapons and conquest. It's bound to mess with your brain, right?

Even tyrants need recaps

The three-author structure is actually well deployed in the book, allowing us a pre-Dying of the Light look at a flashback under movie night banner from (predominantly, one assumes) James Roberts, and avoiding a talking heads part. Which also means Swerve and Whirl get to annoy Megatron for a bit, as Cyclonus lets the true noble purpleness of his heart shine - plus some smile-worthy social commentary. In fact, the whole section has heaps of it.

Cyclobun

The second section has an unfortunate bit of a crossover - though not crucial, the two scenes are more complementary than anything - with the events of The Transformers #55, delayed in its print form to next week, but available on digital, it seems. Looking at the status on Earth after the rise of the Titan, and more Primes than you can can wrap your head around.

The Actual True Primes

Between John Barber and Mairghread Scott, the two heads together prove that they can master the voices of the other, as the third section is also the longest, set on Cybertron with Sentinel doing a lot of stuff. Stuff that shows character in pretty much everyone around him, from Starscream to Ironhide to Windblade, along with establishing him as

Art

Livio Ramondelli is the sole author of the visuals, and - unless you're not a fan of his style in general - he does an excellent job of bringing together a chaotic, hectic, pretty much planet shattering return, even if not of Titanic proportions as such. Between some of the establishing shots, and the lighting games that are being used throughout the book...

Shiny(dome?)

...and the more detailed looks at the characters, their interactions, and even some of the battle scenes, we get another strong performance in the G1-esque direction that Ramondelli's art, colouring and layouts has taken in later months. It works for the big bad bot, it works for the Lost Light cast, it works for Ironhide in particular. It works.

PUNCH IT

Tom B. Long returns to the work he had been doing in books like Autocracy/Primacy/Monstrosity, keeping the fonts more or less simple and clear, but having fun with the sound effects as Sentinel brings on a bit of a rampage wherever he goes or might end up going. And we get some good covers too, in the main Ramondelli one we've seen for a while plus the ROM exclusive, the thumbnailed Priscilla Tramontano encapsulates the story's potential direction, and there's a very fun double cover by Chris Giarrusso for Acme Comics.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

The visuals are Ramondelli at its best, as of recent, and it's good to see him in such top shape, and colour, and... The writing, not only of the different characters as pointed out so far, but of Sentinel himself, is very entertaining - as far as a character such as his can be. He will be loved and hated in equal measure, and stands as a dead ringer for certain vocal elements of the fandom at times, too.

Yeah. I said it.

A one-shot that actually does fairly well in bringing together the three coexisting series at the moment, and sets up a stage that doesn't feel to constrained or artificial, with hints in the other books that can be linking bits together for detail-oriented readers, and a callback to a much earlier stage of the IDWverse. This book does good, and it does it well.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1809482)
Posted by Kurona on July 27th, 2016 @ 8:30am CDT
Trying to find the comic itself

Dr Va'al wrote:
The Actual True Primes

But considering I've seen what is clearly the best panel I don't think I need to
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1809484)
Posted by Randomhero on July 27th, 2016 @ 8:37am CDT
I really liked this. My god was this months comics filled with death!
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1809512)
Posted by Va'al on July 27th, 2016 @ 9:47am CDT
One of my favourite panels, which didn't make the review cut.

Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1809528)
Posted by TF-fan kev777 on July 27th, 2016 @ 10:56am CDT
Randomhero wrote:I really liked this. My god was this months comics filled with death!

I was just thinking the same thing, an especially bad month for the titans Return line with Galvatron, Ravage and Astrotrain biting the dust. Heck, Ravage and Astrotrain didn't even make it until their toys came out (assuming both are dead-dead).
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1809548)
Posted by Randomhero on July 27th, 2016 @ 12:16pm CDT
TF-fan kev777 wrote:

well, I'm not losing sleep over Galvatron. His head is still intact and he was never alive to begin with. Galavtron is a unique character. He's from the dead universe and unlike Cyclonus and others who came back from the dead he wasn't cured. Galvatron has always been immune from the death effects of the dead universe and I once asked a John "what's going on with Galvatron? Is he dead? Alive? Undead?" John said "great question! You'll have to wait and see!" I'm saying now, as long as his head is intact he will return because he hasn't had a spark for 6 million years.
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1809618)
Posted by TF-fan kev777 on July 27th, 2016 @ 2:46pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:
TF-fan kev777 wrote:

I don't doubt that Galvy will show up again somewhere/somehow. Pretty sure Ravage is perma-dead, who knows on Astrotrain, they were pretty close to Soundwave's sanctuatary so there's a chance his wreckage could be salvaged and revived.
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1809625)
Posted by Randomhero on July 27th, 2016 @ 3:14pm CDT
TF-fan kev777 wrote:
Randomhero wrote:
TF-fan kev777 wrote:

Yeah ravages was a death that was so emotional and well done you don't want it to be undone because it was a very good and meaningful scene
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1809669)
Posted by Kurona on July 27th, 2016 @ 5:22pm CDT
I'm adoring seeing Soundwave and Optimus as allies.
I mean, I know they were in a couple issues before this; but now it's not conditional, now they're actually allied... it just feels really badass. Even moreso than Optimus + Megatron. I love this.
Re: IDW Titans Return Full Preview (1809784)
Posted by Randomhero on July 28th, 2016 @ 6:45am CDT
Kurona wrote:I'm adoring seeing Soundwave and Optimus as allies.

I totally agree. The first issues of them was more Optimus blackmailing Soundwave which I didn't like bey much now that Soundwave understands humans and has finally come around it's awesome. Even in 55 when he says Megatron was right was great! It feels like "wow the war is finally over" it's not, there still a lot of big name decepticons out there who are more than happy to start it up again but to have the big three, starscream, Soundwave and megaton changing and accepting it is pretty great.

Guess I should talk about the issue. This was good! It's all set up but it was good. It doesn't even feel like this is an event that's coinciding with a toy theme...well except the last page but it flows really well. It's only a two month event due to revolution kicking off in a couple months and I think if it wasn't for that this would have been a longer even but since it's only two months and 5 issues it'll collect in a trade really well.

Only issue I had was he destroys the spacebridge but which one? that spacebridge looked like a Titan spacebridge and not the decepticon one that's been in Optimus's possession for quite a while. If he did just destroy the one that was installed in the Titan than does it matter because they have a second one.

I'm really hoping that Sentinel isn't just showing up, causing trouble and then being killed off. Keep Thai jerk around!

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Roadburn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Brawl" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Caliburst & Slugslinger Deluxe Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Triggerhappy Deluxe Hasbro Pre-Owned" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Takara Tomy Cloud TFC-A03 Hot Rodimus" on EBAY
Buy "Takaratomy Transformers Legends LG30 Wheelie &Go Shooter Action Figure To..." on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-48 Brawn & Repugnus Robot Figure Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return, SKY SHADOW, Leader Class, Generations" on EBAY