IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order

IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order

Friday, July 15th, 2016 6:33am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 21,014

The last time we saw anything about the UK Classics collections from IDW Publishing was two years ago - but that looks like it's about to change! A listing on online retailer Amazon.com shows that volume 6 is due in January 2017, bringing the reprinting project to a close with all 332 issues finally released again (between Classics and Classics UK, that is). Check out the little info we have below, and keep an eye out for updates as they happen!

by Simon Furman (Author), Dan Abnett (Author), Ian Rimmer (Author), Dan Reed (Artist), Dougie Braithwaite (Artist), Lee Sullivan (Artist), Jeff Anderson (Artist), Andrew Wildman (Artist), Robin Smith (Artist)

Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Idea & Design Works (January 24, 2017)
ISBN-10: 1631404946
ISBN-13: 978-1631404948
Shipping Weight: 1.1 pounds

Credit(s): Amazon.com

This article was last modified on Friday, July 15th, 2016 3:00pm CDT

Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1805793)
Posted by ausbot on July 15th, 2016 @ 7:53am CDT
FINALLY!
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1805833)
Posted by jamarmiller on July 15th, 2016 @ 9:28am CDT
it hardly finishes things though. there is like close to 300 more pages of black and white issues ( some were later colored ).

thats the volume I want . would kill for it to be colored though
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1805860)
Posted by Seibertron on July 15th, 2016 @ 12:11pm CDT
That's funny ... I was just searching for this on Amazon a few days ago. I've been anxiously awaiting this volume. These Classics UK books are the best things out there and are what turned me into a fan of James Roberts after being able to connect with him through his writings throughout the immense amount of special features and interviews he wrote that are in these books.

The biggest thing I enjoyed from him in these books was his story/stories of being a kid walking down to the local newsstand to get his weekly copy of Transformers. His recounting of those memories and the excitement he felt really brought home to me that he is a true long-time Transformers fan (i.e. someone who has been committed to this brand throughout its and his lifetime). It made a connection with me because that's how I felt every month when I would find the latest copy of the Transformers comic when I was a kid. The Marvel comics were such a special monthly treat for almost 7 years of my life. There were no advanced solicitations at that time, no internet to have covers spoiled or synopsis spoiled. No leaked teases of upcoming storylines and no conventions where Transformers comics were being discussed ad nauseam. It was an innocent pilgrimage that I took part in monthly for almost 7 years (I guess almost 8.5 if you count the G2 years) and it's so neat to read about others who were participating in that enjoyment during that time.

Anyways, short story long ... these Classic UK books are some of my favorites. I have intentionally never read Time Wars because I haven't been able to hunt down all of the original issues yet, refuse to read the scanned copies that I have on my laptop (and that were once on Seibertron.com before reprints started happening), and have been anxiously awaiting this tradepaperback so that I can at long last read Time Wars for the first time ever.

I would also like to see them tackle the black and whites. I have the digest sized reprints of those books but would really like to see them collected altogether in one complete volume (colored or not). Those are some unique stories that are a lot of fun to read, especially since they don't really fit in the US or UK storylines (though there have been so many inconsistencies throughout the 30+ year history of Transformers comics that I just overlook the problems caused by the black and whites).
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1808391)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 23rd, 2016 @ 7:54am CDT
About darn time!
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1828308)
Posted by ScottyP on September 25th, 2016 @ 11:19am CDT
With the sixth volume of IDW's Transformers Classics UK series drawing towards release at last, we now have a look at the cover artwork for the book. Andrew Wildman returns with a stellar new cover, which has been revealed on the Amazon listing for Volume 6. Check out the cover below featuring the Quintesson Judge, Metroplex, Optimus Prime, Galvatron, Arcee, and even Carnivac and Snarler.

The listing has also confirmed the contents of this collection, which is currently set for release on January 24, 2017:

IDW's celebration of the British Transformers comics continues! Volume 6 presents another set of epic stories that were exclusive to the UK, including "Space Pirates," "Dry Run" and "Time Wars." Want more? How about in-depth interviews with Transformers UK's creative team, unused artwork, original scripts, and reproductions of TFUK's feature pages, covers, and free gifts?

Collects issues #181 to #214 of Transformers UK!

Are you excited to be another step closer to completing your collection of original Transformers comic stories? Let your fellow fans know by replying to this post in the Energon Pub Forums, and as always, keep your optics honed in to Seibertron.com for all the latest Transformers news.
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1828309)
Posted by Sabrblade on September 25th, 2016 @ 11:23am CDT
Aw YEAH!

Been waiting for this one. Wish it was coming sooner than next year.

Two more volumes to go after this one.
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1828327)
Posted by steve2275 on September 25th, 2016 @ 11:43am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Aw YEAH!

Been waiting for this one. Wish it was coming sooner than next year.

Two more volumes to go after this one.

im with ya
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1828359)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on September 25th, 2016 @ 12:45pm CDT
Yeah, the use of the word "complete" in this story has me worried. I assumed we'd eventually get the B&W stories with any that got reprints back in the day in full color, and in order, something those manga-sized trades didn't pull off. Has manga-to-anime logic led so many fans to ignorantly dismiss the TF:UK stories as "filler" that it's not economically viable to release them? Is some necessary material lost?

Regardless, I'd better preorder this ASAP to send the right message. Whether or not we get CW G2 Defensor suddenly seems like small potatoes compared to the prospect of not getting all of the continuity that gave us the Primus mythos reprinted!
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1828421)
Posted by ScottyP on September 25th, 2016 @ 5:13pm CDT
I was using the earlier story in this thread as reference, so I thought this was it. Looks like I need to do some more research and then corrections!
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1828532)
Posted by Quint on September 26th, 2016 @ 4:12am CDT
Oh, Andy Wildman... I used to be such a fan. I can still remember when you took pride in your work for the Transformers, even if it was nearly 30 years ago. Nigh on tanking Re-Generation 1 with rushed / half-assed interior work has figuratively left a bitter taste though, it has to be said. This was made all the more frustrating by the fact some of your covers remained absolutely fantastic.

Perhaps this latest cover though is a fine example of how your work has fallen from the sublime to the ridiculous. Some lovely call backs to your previous TFUK front work combined with what looks like a dyspeptic lapdog on an S&M trip.

Sabrblade wrote:Aw YEAH!

Been waiting for this one. Wish it was coming sooner than next year.

Two more volumes to go after this one.

Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1828556)
Posted by Sabrblade on September 26th, 2016 @ 8:14am CDT
Quint wrote:Would IDW colour the post Time Wars stories? It seems Titan Books never bothered when they reprinted them.
IDW didn't color the B&W pages of "Raiders of the Last Ark" in Volume 1.

At most, I could see them using the colored versions of the few post-Time Wars stories that did eventually get colorized in certain reprints, but those that didn't I could see staying B&W.

Though, there is also that other thing happening in the UK that will be coloring the B&W Marvel UK comics.
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1828596)
Posted by Marcdachamp on September 26th, 2016 @ 9:44am CDT
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1828598)
Posted by Sabrblade on September 26th, 2016 @ 9:55am CDT
Marcdachamp wrote:I haven't bought any of the previous IDW trades, because I own a bunch of the Titan reprints. Can anyone tell me if these are published in a similar size and format, or if they're shrank down to the "traditional" US format?
I don't know how big the Titan reprints were, but I do know that these IDW reprints don't simply contain the UK issues, but also contain a whole host of extra material within each volume. James Roberts went all out on these volumes by including extensively-written editorials chronicling the entire history of Marvel UK (the company itself) and its involvement in creating the UK Transformers comics, with tons of behind-the-scenes interviews with so many of the people who were involved in creating the comics (as in, not just Simon Furman). Each volume opens with a huge recounting of Marvel UK's history in each year that the issues within each volume were published, and then each issue is given its own lengthy editorial that describes the history and significance of said issue.

Plus, all of the UK comics and text stories that Titan omitted from their reprints are included in these volumes.
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1828602)
Posted by Marcdachamp on September 26th, 2016 @ 10:28am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but I actually meant in terms of height. The original UK comics were printed in a taller format, which Titan's reprints emulated. I was wondering if IDW's reprints shrank the comics to the same height as their other TF books/traditional US comics.
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1829221)
Posted by ScottyP on September 28th, 2016 @ 5:30pm CDT
Marcdachamp wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

As I understand it these are smaller. Standard US page size for trades/collections with white margin around the comic content itself. One sec, I have a ruler.

:digs out ruler:

Book itself: 6 3/4" x 10 1/4" = ~17.1 x 26 cm
Comic page reprint borders: 6" x 8" = ~ 15.25 x 20.3 cm
Comic art size (leaves yet more margin space around comic page borders!): 5" x 7 1/4" = ~ 12.7 x 18.4 cm
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1837690)
Posted by Va'al on October 29th, 2016 @ 4:14pm CDT
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1837691)
Posted by Sabrblade on October 29th, 2016 @ 4:24pm CDT
Dr Va'al wrote:Actually out in March 2017.

Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1838930)
Posted by ScottyP on November 3rd, 2016 @ 8:13pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:Actually out in March 2017.

Agreed.

At this rate Volume 7 will come out after the heat death of the universe.
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1838949)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 3rd, 2016 @ 9:51pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:Actually out in March 2017.

Agreed.

At this rate Volume 7 will come out after the heat death of the universe.
And then Volume 8 won't get released at all. :BANG_HEAD:
Re: IDW Transformers Classics UK Volume 6 Pre-Order (1933540)
Posted by o.supreme on January 24th, 2018 @ 4:38pm CST
So, I've had this on my Amazon with list for over a year-and-a-half now. It stated the original publication date was June 2017 (pretty sure that never happened), but now it just shows as "unavailable"...has IDW ever made a statement on whether this series was just cancelled altogether or what?

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Evolution 3-Pack (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #254 - Redlining Sixth
"Redlining Sixth"
Posted: Sunday, July 5th, 2020

Buy "Transformers POTP Power Of The Primes PP-43 Throne Optimal Optimus Primal MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie Figure  Lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Unicron Armada By Hasbro New Sealed HTF" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro 2009 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Constructicons lot Devastator" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Movie Shatter Action Figure (Read description)" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Cybertron Voyager: Vector Prime MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Cyberverse Legion Class Air Vehicon" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Studio Series Constructicon Rampage #37. Never opened" on EBAY