IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover

Wednesday, April 24th, 2019 9:06AM CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Collectables
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 31,160

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

We have some fun Transformers comic news for you today.Firstly, Scotty P found that the third John Gallagher exclusive is up for preorder at Mutant Beaver Comics. It is not cheap and will cost Americans more due to it being Canada exclusive with rather pricey shipping options all around (for Canadians too). But that's run of the mill for the niche exclusives comics market. You can see the image below featuring Jetfire.

We also have a bigger preview for issue 4, thanks to Itunes, to go with the out of order page we got earlier (which we included again). It features fan favourite Cyclonus which looks exactly like the Combiner Wars toy, undercarriage and all.

Enjoy!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover
Credit(s): Itunes
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019797)
Posted by Seibertron on April 24th, 2019 @ 12:31pm CDT
Just realized one of the things that really bugs me about this series ... the characters seem like they're drawn just fine, but the many panels with open backgrounds with little on the horizon and nothing but sky really irk me. Where are Cybertron's buildings? Where are all of the unique towers and city scenes that should cover most of Cybertron such as in the G1 cartoon or Beast Machines or Transformers Animated or the Bumblebee movie? It looks boring (and artistically lazy) that there is very little going on in the background.
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019800)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on April 24th, 2019 @ 1:04pm CDT
Even less hope for a new Cyclonus mold to match the TR Targetmasters... :(
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019802)
Posted by william-james88 on April 24th, 2019 @ 1:18pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:Just realized one of the things that really bugs me about this series ... the characters seem like they're drawn just fine, but the many panels with open backgrounds with little on the horizon and nothing but sky really irk me.

Me too. Not sure if I mentioned it before or not, but it really feels like the bots and the background dont exist in the same space. Cybertron feels very empty.
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019804)
Posted by o.supreme on April 24th, 2019 @ 1:34pm CDT
I guess yay for Cyclonus finally looking the way he should, but boo because it only took 4 issues to shoehorn in Windblade (and yes I'm aware she was planned from the outset in this new series..) I mean I get why Hasbro forced IDW to push her into so much story previously, but this is a NEW continuity. The fact that Hasbro seems intent on retconning the original TF history to include Windblade is frustrating. Might as well draw her in the background of reprinted Marvel Comics, or insert her randomly into original series episodes Lucas *special edition* style...
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019805)
Posted by william-james88 on April 24th, 2019 @ 2:03pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:I guess yay for Cyclonus finally looking the way he should, but boo because it only took 4 issues to shoehorn in Windblade


She is in issue 1.
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019807)
Posted by Seibertron on April 24th, 2019 @ 2:38pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Seibertron wrote:Just realized one of the things that really bugs me about this series ... the characters seem like they're drawn just fine, but the many panels with open backgrounds with little on the horizon and nothing but sky really irk me.

Me too. Not sure if I mentioned it before or not, but it really feels like the bots and the background dont exist in the same space. Cybertron feels very empty.


Yes! Exactly. I dont have any real complaints about how the Transformers are drawn in this series. They look good,maybe a little more styling would be good, and maybe a little more detail such as mouths when they are drawn from a distance, but the lack of backgrounds and minimal characters makes the planet seem empty.
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019808)
Posted by Stormshot_Prime on April 24th, 2019 @ 2:39pm CDT
Man you can really see those glaring toy designs when Chromia is shown next to Geomotus and Windblade. It’s like there’s 3 styles happening on the page all at one. They really just took those designs ultra-literally without any degree of stylization. The last time we saw over-literal designs was Energon/Cybertron and look how those turned out
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019811)
Posted by Randomhero on April 24th, 2019 @ 2:57pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:I guess yay for Cyclonus finally looking the way he should, but boo because it only took 4 issues to shoehorn in Windblade (and yes I'm aware she was planned from the outset in this new series..) I mean I get why Hasbro forced IDW to push her into so much story previously, but this is a NEW continuity. The fact that Hasbro seems intent on retconning the original TF history to include Windblade is frustrating. Might as well draw her in the background of reprinted Marvel Comics, or insert her randomly into original series episodes Lucas *special edition* style...


She’s in issue one...
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019812)
Posted by o.supreme on April 24th, 2019 @ 3:07pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:
o.supreme wrote:I guess yay for Cyclonus finally looking the way he should, but boo because it only took 4 issues to shoehorn in Windblade


She is in issue 1.


Randomhero wrote:She’s in issue one...



That only makes it worse...
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019814)
Posted by Randomhero on April 24th, 2019 @ 3:11pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
o.supreme wrote:I guess yay for Cyclonus finally looking the way he should, but boo because it only took 4 issues to shoehorn in Windblade


She is in issue 1.



That only makes it worse...



No it just makes your argument worse since it starts with your rant about taking 4 before “shoehorning” her in. She’s been in it from the start. Here’s the thing about Windblade. She debuted in 2013. Six years ago, the better half of a decade. She is now older than the length of the the original G1 cartoons and toyline. Windblade now has history in transformers and the complaints about her really matter anymore.
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019816)
Posted by o.supreme on April 24th, 2019 @ 3:37pm CDT
Randomhero wrote: No it just makes your argument worse since it starts with your rant about taking 4 before “shoehorning” her in. She’s been in it from the start. Here’s the thing about Windblade. She debuted in 2013. Six years ago, the better half of a decade. She is now older than the length of the the original G1 cartoons and toyline. Windblade now has history in transformers and the complaints about her really matter anymore.


She debuted in the OLD IDW Universe, which is thankfully dead and gone, and should stay that way. If IDW wanted to try to bring Transformers back to it's roots, which was the whole point of the reboot, (in which Windblade was never present), then it has automatically failed. Also its amazing that in six years she did nothing of significance to contribute to the overall TF mythos. You don't see Drift, or the Torchbearers, or Sunstorm in this new IDW universe, for good reason. The same should be with Windblade, just my opinion I know it's not popular, but it's just frustrating that every new comic incarnation and animated series has less and less of what has made Transformers great in times past.
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019817)
Posted by Randomhero on April 24th, 2019 @ 3:50pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:
Randomhero wrote: No it just makes your argument worse since it starts with your rant about taking 4 before “shoehorning” her in. She’s been in it from the start. Here’s the thing about Windblade. She debuted in 2013. Six years ago, the better half of a decade. She is now older than the length of the the original G1 cartoons and toyline. Windblade now has history in transformers and the complaints about her really matter anymore.


She debuted in the OLD IDW Universe, which is thankfully dead and gone, and should stay that way. If IDW wanted to try to bring Transformers back to it's roots, which was the whole point of the reboot, (in which Windblade was never present), then it has automatically failed. Also its amazing that in six years she did nothing of significance to contribute to the overall TF mythos. You don't see Drift, or the Torchbearers, or Sunstorm in this new IDW universe, for good reason. The same should be with Windblade, just my opinion I know it's not popular, but it's just frustrating that every new comic incarnation and animated series has less and less of what has made Transformers great in times past.


She debuted as a toy fan made by fans and was put in the comics because of that reason. IDW didn’t create her, hasbro and fans did.

You’ve also seen less than a dozen characters appear yet. I’m sorry this isn’t the G1 cartoon you hold so high up where every autobot showed up at once and stood shoulder to shoulder while their names were called and they transformed into their alt mode so you knew which toy you wanted because that’s what that was. A commercial to sell a toy.


There are three issues out. This universe is brand new and we’ve seen other characters from IDWs lore pop up already. There’s plenty of time to introduce other characters. You can’t say “these characters haven’t shown up!” Were on issue three currently.

And I’m pretty sure IDW characters have impacted other media ya know. Winblade has been in cartoons and drift was in 2 movies and showed up in the fist season of Cyberverse.
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019819)
Posted by Nexus Knight on April 24th, 2019 @ 4:54pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:She debuted in the OLD IDW Universe, which is thankfully dead and gone, and should stay that way. If IDW wanted to try to bring Transformers back to it's roots, which was the whole point of the reboot, (in which Windblade was never present), then it has automatically failed.

Wait, what? When, where, who said that? As far as I can tell, the reboot was done to let the old IDWverse end and let new stories be told. Back to its roots? What on Earth does that even mean? It's roots were a cartoon that was basically a twenty minute toy ad (with some okay stories). If that's the case, then it's... sorta failed? I mean, 5hese characters are in toy based bodies, so...

o.supreme wrote:Also its amazing that in six years she did nothing of significance to contribute to the overall TF mythos. You don't see Drift, or the Torchbearers, or Sunstorm in this new IDW universe, for good reason. The same should be with Windblade, just my opinion I know it's not popular,

Um, but it is only THREE ISSUES in. There is plenty of time to introduce these characters. But, if you're meaning from the outset... so what? Windblade is a character more modern reader can identify with, some having had a hand in polls that created her. It's a familiar face newer fans will recognize. And, yeah, she has contributed (IMO) greatly to the mythos. From a marketing standpoint, she is the first character created by the fans, being the starting point for fans having a more direct role in their franchise. Also (this may get me in trouble), Windblade seemed to be the starting point for more diverse cast to begin being introduced. We now have higher focus on on having female Transformers in the mythos, which adds diversity. If TF stayed "with its roots", it would get stale very quick.

o.supreme wrote:but it's just frustrating that every new comic incarnation and animated series has less and less of what has made Transformers great in times past.

Once again, you're referring to the original stuff? The cartoon? A show for kids that was (once again) a huge commercial to sell toys? That is what made Transformers great? How?
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019821)
Posted by ricemazter on April 24th, 2019 @ 5:08pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Seibertron wrote:Just realized one of the things that really bugs me about this series ... the characters seem like they're drawn just fine, but the many panels with open backgrounds with little on the horizon and nothing but sky really irk me.

Me too. Not sure if I mentioned it before or not, but it really feels like the bots and the background dont exist in the same space. Cybertron feels very empty.


Yes! Exactly. I dont have any real complaints about how the Transformers are drawn in this series. They look good,maybe a little more styling would be good, and maybe a little more detail such as mouths when they are drawn from a distance, but the lack of backgrounds and minimal characters makes the planet seem empty.


I could be wrong since I'm not in any way involved in this comic's creation, but I have to imagine that the truncated production schedule of the book as opposed to a monthly basis might have something to do with it.

I think about the first issue, which had some pretty good vistas, and then quality slowly starts to slide. I imagine the artists are putting a ton of work into this, but they're operating in like half the time a normal book would have.

I'm just an amateur artist that works on projects with friends, and it takes me forever to complete a crummy drawing set. It would be great if someone with actual comics publishing experience could give some insight.
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019855)
Posted by Superginraix on April 25th, 2019 @ 11:34am CDT
o.supreme wrote:
Randomhero wrote: No it just makes your argument worse since it starts with your rant about taking 4 before “shoehorning” her in. She’s been in it from the start. Here’s the thing about Windblade. She debuted in 2013. Six years ago, the better half of a decade. She is now older than the length of the the original G1 cartoons and toyline. Windblade now has history in transformers and the complaints about her really matter anymore.


She debuted in the OLD IDW Universe, which is thankfully dead and gone, and should stay that way. If IDW wanted to try to bring Transformers back to it's roots, which was the whole point of the reboot, (in which Windblade was never present), then it has automatically failed. Also its amazing that in six years she did nothing of significance to contribute to the overall TF mythos. You don't see Drift, or the Torchbearers, or Sunstorm in this new IDW universe, for good reason. The same should be with Windblade, just my opinion I know it's not popular, but it's just frustrating that every new comic incarnation and animated series has less and less of what has made Transformers great in times past.

Robots that turn into vehicles and fight each other?

Because that's the basic premise. Two factions of robots that can change their shape and fight each other. And even THEN, I'd argue that what made the original comics and cartoon great wasn't the actual fighting but the deeper stories they sometimes got away with telling during all the robot fighting.

The great thing about a good franchise is that it is adaptable and different fans can get different things out of it so I'm not seriously guessing you like the franchise because of the robot fights. I'm guessing you like it for a specific cast of characters? If so, this is really your golden age because Siege is filled to the brim with new version of Generation One classics. And since that's the case, you shouldn't be too bothered if one or two non-G1 characters show up. After all, even the original comic and cartoon featured non-toy creations... and new characters were introduced all the time there as well. Yes, to sell toys.

If I'm completely wrong, I apologize. I hope you find what you're looking for in one of the many Transformers storylines/ toy lines. For me... I might like them too much... and my wallet pays the ultimate price.
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019860)
Posted by o.supreme on April 25th, 2019 @ 4:07pm CDT
I find it interesting how those that minimize the original series to *just a toy commercial* completely gloss over the fact, that if not for it, we wouldn't be here 35 years later discussing it.... :roll: that's gratitude for ya...
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019949)
Posted by Deadput on April 26th, 2019 @ 7:08pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:I find it interesting how those that minimize the original series to *just a toy commercial* completely gloss over the fact, that if not for it, we wouldn't be here 35 years later discussing it.... :roll: that's gratitude for ya...


Doesn't literally change the fact it was a toy commercial.

Transformers has always relied more on spectacle rather then actually being deep.
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019952)
Posted by Nexus Knight on April 26th, 2019 @ 8:45pm CDT
Deadput wrote:
o.supreme wrote:I find it interesting how those that minimize the original series to *just a toy commercial* completely gloss over the fact, that if not for it, we wouldn't be here 35 years later discussing it.... :roll: that's gratitude for ya...


Doesn't literally change the fact it was a toy commercial.

Transformers has always relied more on spectacle rather then actually being deep.


Plus, the fact of the matter was that we were trying (or at least myself) was trying to prove was that had become more than just a cartoon with some okay stories with the intent to sell toys. It's had it's stupid moments in its evolution, but it's become more than just that (at least in fiction). It's mind-boggling to see someone say they want Transformers to go back to that level (a fact I'm inferring from o.supreme's last post).
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2019958)
Posted by bacem on April 27th, 2019 @ 3:04am CDT
o.supreme wrote:I find it interesting how those that minimize the original series to *just a toy commercial* completely gloss over the fact, that if not for it, we wouldn't be here 35 years later discussing it.... :roll: that's gratitude for ya...


you are absolutuly correct that if the g1 series never exist, this forums would never even exist. however, you are also glossing over the fact that the series managed to keep being discussed for 35 years because it keeps evolving, adding new universes, new stories and lores, and new characters that as the time goes, gains their own fanbases, not because it keeps staying as an toy comercial with okay stories. telling it to "go back to its roots", which as you implies, means it has to come back to be just a toy comercial with okay stories and stagnant characters selection, would basically means telling them to just ignore the fanbases that keeps growing for these past 35 years, and just stick to the vintage POV, that has obviously been outdated.
Re: IDW Transformers Comic News with Preview for #4 Featuring CW Cyclonus and Exclusive #3 Cover (2020010)
Posted by YoungPrime on April 28th, 2019 @ 9:58am CDT
She debuted as a toy fan made by fans and was put in the comics because of that reason. IDW didn’t create her, hasbro and fans did.


Is this supposed to shut people up?

Not all fans did. Now I don't hate her as much as I do Pyra Magna but forcing her and/or Bumblebee down are throats with just about every new project is turning me off.

Especailly when there's 100's of other TF characters who deserve better. And after seeing "Hi I'm Windblade" jump on one of favorite Decepticon's back in his debut of this reboot. I have no plans on buying this book anytime soon.

Doesn't literally change the fact it was a toy commercial.


Is that suppose to make people shut up? Some "Toy commercials" in the 80's were clearly better than others... You don't see He-man and Thundercats getting this kind of love today do you? So it's only fitting as an Adult Collector that I point out ways of making current G1 lore an ever BETTER toy commercial.

Here's hoping that Netflix cartoon is far better than this comic is next year.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dreadwind" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee – Energon Igniters Power Plus Series Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Speed Series Bumblebee  (Chevrolet Camaro)" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #226 - Fire in the Sky
Twincast / Podcast #226:
"Fire in the Sky"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, July 7th, 2019

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers Generations CW Combiner Wars G2 Motormaster Voyager Figure Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Orion Pax" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Laserbeak" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers generations 2010 Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Hunt For The Decepticons HFTD Classics Deluxe Class Terradive MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "transformers generations nightbeat and skrapnal" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Nemesis Prime and Spinister. Best Price" on EBAY