IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron

Saturday, March 14th, 2015 1:40pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 24,165

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

After a bunch of rumours as to whether Japanese fans of the comics fiction that IDW Publishing has been releasing in English (and distributing in mostly Anglophone countries) will ever see the same books in Japanese, we have an official update!

Via Yama3sp on Twitter, we can report confirmation that as of 23rd March, the first official translation of All Hail Megatron will be released on the comics market via ShoPro Books, who are offering a free bookmark with purchase of the book. Check out the website for more details of participating stores, and the two sides of the bookmark below!

Writing: Shane McCarthy et al
Art: Guido Guidi et al
Translator: Nakazawa Shunsuke
Details: B5 size Heng Namisei, 500 pages, text 4C
Price listing: 3,800 yen + tax
Release Date: March 23, 2015
ISBN: 9784796875141


Transformers News: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron

Credit(s): ShoPro Books


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1662719)
Posted by It Is Him on March 14th, 2015 @ 2:03pm CDT
Boy is Japan going to be disappointed.
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1662727)
Posted by Optimizzy on March 14th, 2015 @ 2:28pm CDT
but then they get better.
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1662730)
Posted by Emerje on March 14th, 2015 @ 2:32pm CDT
Didn't realize this was news, it's been on Japanese web shops for a while now. AmiAmi/HLJ/Amazon Japan

Emerje
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1662769)
Posted by Darth Jumpy on March 14th, 2015 @ 5:46pm CDT
That's a weird place to start. I guess they just want to get the bad stuff out of the way. I wonder if they are getting the earlier IDW stuff.
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1662818)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on March 14th, 2015 @ 9:41pm CDT
I know that it is incredibly unlikely, but I would be absolutely jazzed if this led to an eventual anime adaptation of the IDWverse Neo-G1 Transformers stuff.
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1662832)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 14th, 2015 @ 10:30pm CDT
Sweet mercy, is Japan really that self-loathing? :shock:
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1662867)
Posted by Darth Jumpy on March 15th, 2015 @ 1:39am CDT
NuclearConvoy wrote:I know that it is incredibly unlikely, but I would be absolutely jazzed if this led to an eventual anime adaptation of the IDWverse Neo-G1 Transformers stuff.


That be pretty cool, but I have almost no hope for that happening.

I would actually be interested in getting some collections of TF manga and/or story pages if IDW ever wanted to do this in reverse.
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1662870)
Posted by ishigoto on March 15th, 2015 @ 1:44am CDT
A Gundan-tier Transformers show...bah gawd.
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1662931)
Posted by triKlops on March 15th, 2015 @ 8:10am CDT
Is is bad that the first thing i thought when i saw this thread was we should apologize for giving them AHM?
I think I echo some other commenters that if at least they start here, it should be easy going after that.
Too bad LSoTW wasn't included to balance things out a bit.
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1662936)
Posted by Va'al on March 15th, 2015 @ 8:27am CDT
Given all the negative reaction this news is getting, I think we're forgetting how big it actually is for IDW to be officially available in another language, especially with the Japanese readership!

Was AHM not as successful? Maybe. I liked it. I still do. Slow pacing? Sure. But as a one-volume read, to me, it works. And it sets the scene for everything that comes after it, Costa, Roberts, Barber, RID/MTMTE, Dark Cybertron, Drift, Scott, Windblade and Combiner Wars. It's a good place to start, without having to delve back into the -ations.
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1662938)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on March 15th, 2015 @ 8:40am CDT
Va'al wrote:Given all the negative reaction this news is getting, I think we're forgetting how big it actually is for IDW to be officially available in another language, especially with the Japanese readership!

Was AHM not as successful? Maybe. I liked it. I still do. Slow pacing? Sure. But as a one-volume read, to me, it works. And it sets the scene for everything that comes after it, Costa, Roberts, Barber, RID/MTMTE, Dark Cybertron, Drift, Scott, Windblade and Combiner Wars. It's a good place to start, without having to delve back into the -ations.


But the -ations were great. And Stormbringer deserves translation as well.
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1662942)
Posted by Va'al on March 15th, 2015 @ 8:55am CDT
NuclearConvoy wrote:
Va'al wrote:Given all the negative reaction this news is getting, I think we're forgetting how big it actually is for IDW to be officially available in another language, especially with the Japanese readership!

Was AHM not as successful? Maybe. I liked it. I still do. Slow pacing? Sure. But as a one-volume read, to me, it works. And it sets the scene for everything that comes after it, Costa, Roberts, Barber, RID/MTMTE, Dark Cybertron, Drift, Scott, Windblade and Combiner Wars. It's a good place to start, without having to delve back into the -ations.


But the -ations were great. And Stormbringer deserves translation as well.


I am not saying they're not! I adore Stormbringer with a passion.
What I'm trying to say is that, for a coherent, continuing market of translation, the story might want to take precedence - with Combiner Wars currently about to take place, AHM is a good place to start. Heck, they could even skip the 2009-11 ongoing, and re-start from Death of Optimus Prime (maybe with a summary of sorts).

We'll see how it develops, of course. All I'm really trying to claim here is that I more or less agree with AHM as a starting point for a new readership. :D
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1662956)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on March 15th, 2015 @ 10:02am CDT
Va'al wrote:
NuclearConvoy wrote:
Va'al wrote:Given all the negative reaction this news is getting, I think we're forgetting how big it actually is for IDW to be officially available in another language, especially with the Japanese readership!

Was AHM not as successful? Maybe. I liked it. I still do. Slow pacing? Sure. But as a one-volume read, to me, it works. And it sets the scene for everything that comes after it, Costa, Roberts, Barber, RID/MTMTE, Dark Cybertron, Drift, Scott, Windblade and Combiner Wars. It's a good place to start, without having to delve back into the -ations.


But the -ations were great. And Stormbringer deserves translation as well.


I am not saying they're not! I adore Stormbringer with a passion.
What I'm trying to say is that, for a coherent, continuing market of translation, the story might want to take precedence - with Combiner Wars currently about to take place, AHM is a good place to start. Heck, they could even skip the 2009-11 ongoing, and re-start from Death of Optimus Prime (maybe with a summary of sorts).

We'll see how it develops, of course. All I'm really trying to claim here is that I more or less agree with AHM as a starting point for a new readership. :D


Considering I sank my money into buying all of AHM monthly and then felt so displeased with my purchases that I didn't buy any Transformers comics until I started picking up the MTMTE trades, I don't know if I would agree. It actually killed my interest in Transformers fiction for years. I'll give it some credit in that there were a few scenes and a few characterizations I enjoyed during the run, but overall I found it to be worse than the live-action movies.
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1662978)
Posted by Va'al on March 15th, 2015 @ 11:13am CDT
I'm just going to offer a friendly shrug at that, I don't want to argue on tastes. :D

I do think that as a monthly it did not work, and your example helps reinforce that point, as well as echoing many others. As I said though, encountering it a collected story did not give me the same reaction, at all.
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1663175)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 15th, 2015 @ 8:54pm CDT
Maybe Japan just has a taste for poorly-received American TF comics. The last G1-based comics they got translated into Japanese over there were the two Pat Lee-drawn Dreamwave G1 mini-series. (*shudders*)
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1663473)
Posted by Emerje on March 16th, 2015 @ 6:36pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Maybe Japan just has a taste for poorly-received American TF comics. The last G1-based comics they got translated into Japanese over there were the two Pat Lee-drawn Dreamwave G1 mini-series. (*shudders*)

Well it's Japan, if there's one thing they love it's stories on a slow boil. This will probably suit their tastes in story telling pretty well.

Remember what happened after they got those Dreamwave comics? EVERYTHING was Pat Lee insprired from reissue packaging to Revoltech figures. If history repeats itself with IDW we might be better off for it.

Emerje
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1663506)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on March 16th, 2015 @ 8:13pm CDT
Emerje wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Maybe Japan just has a taste for poorly-received American TF comics. The last G1-based comics they got translated into Japanese over there were the two Pat Lee-drawn Dreamwave G1 mini-series. (*shudders*)

Well it's Japan, if there's one thing they love it's stories on a slow boil. This will probably suit their tastes in story telling pretty well.

Remember what happened after they got those Dreamwave comics? EVERYTHING was Pat Lee insprired from reissue packaging to Revoltech figures. If history repeats itself with IDW we might be better off for it.

Emerje


But only if the post-AHM stuff comes out will it be truly beneficial. AHM was the least exciting set of IDW Transformers designs, IMO.
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1663537)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 16th, 2015 @ 10:21pm CDT
Well, Takara (in association with Hasbro and IDW) did already give us some IDW-based toys back at the beginning of the Thrilling 30 subline imprint of the Generations line, as well as the comic-accurate TF: Legends Windblade figure. ;)
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1664019)
Posted by Dead Metal on March 18th, 2015 @ 5:17am CDT
Va'al wrote:Given all the negative reaction this news is getting, I think we're forgetting how big it actually is for IDW to be officially available in another language, especially with the Japanese readership!

Was AHM not as successful? Maybe. I liked it. I still do. Slow pacing? Sure. But as a one-volume read, to me, it works. And it sets the scene for everything that comes after it, Costa, Roberts, Barber, RID/MTMTE, Dark Cybertron, Drift, Scott, Windblade and Combiner Wars. It's a good place to start, without having to delve back into the -ations.

WW2 also set the scene for everything to come after it, it's still not a good thing though. Or a good jumping on point :P

Eh, this story is right up the alley for the Manga audience, big stupid overblown action scenes, massive city destroying action, pointless side characters and stories that only serve to pad the story out to it's 12 chapters. The only thing that's missing is everyone announcing their attacks (Fusion Canon Blast of DEATH, Prime Fist of Justice, Insecticon Planet Crush), little girls in skimpy outfits, unnecessary panty shots, and nose bleed. Oh and recounting the previous events for 5 pages every 30 pages.

I can see why they chose AHM to start with, it's the easiest jumping on point for them, one it's as I said already pretty Shonen, but the previous -tion stuff has a completely different structure and feel to this and the Ongoing after it.
While the tion stuff is a bit slow, it's also too "quiet" for Japan, most of the stuff is just infiltrating and trying to outsmart the enemy with just very few actual robot fights, while mostly focusing on moving the story forward. AHM and the Ongoing are the right kind of slow for Japanese readers, since they spread out the story and extend it with long pretty pointless dialogue that goes practically nowhere, while pretending that it does, with plenty of action in between.

It would be too big a jump for Japanese readers to get used to tion, then get used to AHM tonal shift which pretty much stays the norm for the following material until RID and MTMTE shows up. It's just kinda the problem idw has now due to first caring so much about their continuity, then not caring at all, just to now care a whole lot again.
Hell, they might not even have to print the old spotlights or tion series, since MTMTE and RID bring up the stuff that's important post AHM, and explains it all while expanding on it to better fit the current status quo.

But yeah, this is the first foreign language printing of idw's TF comics, I know German comic fans have been petitioning Panini to start releasing idw's TF stuff, having the idw licence and all, but as of yet nothing has come of that.
Re: IDW Transformers Comics in Japanese Translation - All Hail Megatron (1664079)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on March 18th, 2015 @ 10:34am CDT
You make some great points, particularly regarding story pace. I like all kinds of pacing having grown up on both western and eastern style storytelling. But I can see why the earlier stuff might not jive with a casual Japanese audience.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 03 Deluxe Class Movie 3 Crowbar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Sergeant Kup and Flintlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Decepticon Viper Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
Twincast / Podcast #289:
"No Thanks Given"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Titan Scorponok MISB in stock now" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon New In Box MISB" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Generations TITANS RETURN Leader Class DECEPTICON OVERLORD" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Autobot HOT ROD & Firedrive Deluxe Class - BRAND NEW!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dinobot Adventures Dinobot Squad Grimlock Dinobot Snarl and Pred..." on EBAY
Buy "SLUG Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Deluxe Dinobot Hasbro 2021 New" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Unite Warriors UW-08 COMPUTRON w/ Perf. Effect Upgrade & Coll. Coin" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Titans Return Decepticon Overlord Loose Complete" on EBAY