IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview

Tuesday, November 25th, 2014 3:05AM CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 33,479

And finally, are you ready for the return of your average Decepticon gunman turned Autobot swordsman with a spiritualist tendency? IDW Publishing has you covered this week! Find out below a full preview for the first issue of Drift: Empire of Stone, and head back to Seibertron.com for a review later this week!

Transformers: Drift: Empire of Stone #1 (of 4)—SPOTLIGHT
Shane McCarthy (w) • Guido Guidi (a) • Alex Milne (c)
DRIFT RETURNS! Last year, TRANSFORMERS readers were shocked when DRIFT left the AUTOBOTS in disgrace… and now he’s alone, on a mission to clean up the darkest depths of the galaxy—until RATCHET shows up to try to bring him home!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
The creative team behind the classic—and best-selling—All Hail Megatron return to the character they introduced!
Ties directly in to the ongoing MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE series!
The fan-favorite character from the big screen returns to where he started—the comics page!
Artist’s Edition Variant cover by Guido Guidi!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview
Credit(s): IDW

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624460)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on November 25th, 2014 @ 7:10am CST
Yay. Drift. Whoopy.

I'm not sure I'll get this; on one hand, I've all of the IDW stuff since "Death of Optimus Prime".on the other, it's about Drift.

Also, was he really a fan favorite? Not that I'm bashing anybody for liking him, I just thought he was more divisive of a character when he was introduced. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrongly...
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624463)
Posted by Shuttershock on November 25th, 2014 @ 7:47am CST
Nemesis Maximo wrote:Yay. Drift. Whoopy.

He was divisive when he started, mainly because he was hyped out the ass for All Hail Megatron (but then, that book had a lot of other problems) and didn't really live up to anything beyond "super cool sword guy doing awesome things".

Roberts' tenure with the character has been more favorably received, mainly by actually giving him a character with flaws and ideals. Of course, now McCarthy (the AHM writer) is doing this book, so it's hard to say if we'll see the return of "Drift Do'Urden" or if he's learned something from his early work.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624466)
Posted by zodconvoy on November 25th, 2014 @ 7:53am CST
Shuttershock wrote:
Nemesis Maximo wrote:Yay. Drift. Whoopy.

If TL/DR:

Drift sucked, got better, not sure if sucks again.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624470)
Posted by Optimizzy on November 25th, 2014 @ 8:11am CST
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624471)
Posted by Optimizzy on November 25th, 2014 @ 8:11am CST
durn double post. sorry.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624481)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on November 25th, 2014 @ 9:15am CST
Optimizzy wrote:I'll read it BECAUSE of Roberts development...but I suspect that he will revert to "seethes with generic rage" levels of mediocrity pretty soon. I'm just not confident in McCarthy's writing. :-(

Thi is how I feel. I have a smpall hope, however, that with Ratchet in it, they'll keep that interesting relationship going. And anyway, the solicitation for January showed RID Megatron will have a part. So maybe that'll be cool.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624506)
Posted by JazZeke on November 25th, 2014 @ 10:05am CST
zodconvoy wrote:If TL/DR:

Drift sucked, got better, not sure if sucks again.

This. Very much this.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624534)
Posted by Down_Shift on November 25th, 2014 @ 11:27am CST
After Regeneration One that's all I can see :(
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624640)
Posted by Zeedust on November 25th, 2014 @ 5:52pm CST

Forget this. If I want to read about a sword-wielding Transformer who had the fanbase in an uproar, I'll wait for the Windblade ongoing. (Though that wait might kill me.)
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624645)
Posted by JazZeke on November 25th, 2014 @ 5:58pm CST
Nemesis Primal wrote:Bleh. That's really what they're going with? That's seriously what someone thinks will hook readers and make Drift as popular as they try to pretend he is?

Yeah, our major gripe with Drift is he's all swordplay and no personality, so they show us... all swordplay and no characterization. :BANG_HEAD:
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624666)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on November 25th, 2014 @ 6:54pm CST
JazZeke wrote:

What? Honor Badass McStabbin isn't enough personality/characterization? Since when? :lol:
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624689)
Posted by Shuttershock on November 25th, 2014 @ 8:22pm CST
Nemesis Maximo wrote:
JazZeke wrote:

I dub thee "Drift DoUrden". Go forth and be an invincible smirking killing machine who's just so cool you guys.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624756)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on November 26th, 2014 @ 1:13am CST
Shuttershock wrote:
Nemesis Maximo wrote:
JazZeke wrote:

At Drift's IDW Office

Scene: Drift meditates on the floor.

Enter Office Aid #1: Beg pardon, Drift-San. <Bow>. Many Anime Characters have called; they want back their mojo.

Exit Office Aid #1 Stage Left.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624844)
Posted by Va'al on November 26th, 2014 @ 11:42am CST

Another Fine Mess
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

These guys

Story

Imagine: you're an ex Decepticon, who used to kill people for fun. Then you grew a conscience. So you traded guns for swords (that famous instrument of peace). Then you grew a bit too much of a conscience, and tried burying guilt beneath it and a veil of reborn spiritualism - and by ways of redemption, take the blame for something you didn't actually do, and are exiled. That's where we are with Drift, as Empire of Stone begins.

Right here

It's been some time since we saw him in action, other than flashbacks, and readers have been wary of the return of a character who has been fairly marmite-esque (that's British for divisive). What we find with this first issue back in Shane McCarthy's hands, is thankfully not a return to the character when he first introduced it, though some will complain it can feel that way in places.

Some fan

Compared to other Transformers comics coming out this week, Empire of Stone is a lot slower in terms of narrative, though it does stand up quite well with the dialogue, and the chemistry between sulky Drift and grumpy Ratchet works nicely. And, as a set-up/catch-up issue, it does what it has to do without wandering too much around.

Honestly, these guys

However, that's about it so far. It's not a bad comic, the story can go in a very interesting direction with the next three issues, and Empire of Stone is a catchy enough title for a popular enough character like Drift - but I can see how it might not be on everyone's immediate buying list as yet. Still.. read on.

Art

The art team is really where the book, much like ReGeneration One before it, will gain traction with potential readers. Guido Guidi's linework and Stephen Baskerville's inking are a great combination, and the action sequences are very well choreographed, with the sword element added to the fights gives space to Guidi's art to play around with the space of and around the panels.

...ready?

Also back from the ReGen team is colourist JP Bove, doing an amazingly dusty and gritty (in the soil, dirt sense) job of the patina covering some otherwise quite flamboyant roboformers. I will never tire of looking at Guidi backgrounds filled in with Bove's technicolour magic, and there are some excellent sets in the issue.

Drift in spaaaaaace

Unfortunately, the review copy does not fully credit the letterer or editors for the issue, and has some general technical difficulties in the credit page layouts - nonetheless, The Unknown Letterer's work is, while very very subtle, pleasingly appropriate, keeping dialogue in place and a limited amount of background noise. As for the covers, we've seen all of them by now throughout the last couple of months, from the Alex Milne/Josh Perez one to the multiple Guidi variants (including the thumbnail one).

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

As a first issue, and as I mentioned above, Drift: Empire of Stone #1 is a harmless, easily paced, fairly well-dialogued and definitely good looking book, preparing a stage that so far has very little impact on the wider universe of the Transformers, but according to solicits may change everything - again.

Is it? Is it really?

It does little more than that, however, other than re-establishing the at times quite moving relationship between Ratchet and Drift, and hopefully diving into more of Drift's story from this point onwards, as well as the presence of the Cybertronians we do find in the issue. Needless to say, I remain hopeful.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:

Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624906)
Posted by Hans on November 26th, 2014 @ 2:48pm CST
Not a Drift fan, but I'll be picking this up for the art. I love the Guidi, Baskerville and Bove art team :-)
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624907)
Posted by jogunwarrior on November 26th, 2014 @ 2:48pm CST
the art is pretty good, I like the "sketchiness" of it. Don't care for the writing though. The narration is terrible and the dialogue seems so generic and too familiar.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624920)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on November 26th, 2014 @ 3:41pm CST
Mayhem Sucks.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1624921)
Posted by Shuttershock on November 26th, 2014 @ 3:42pm CST
SW's SilverHammer wrote:Mayhem Sucks.

Soul of a poet, that one.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1625285)
Posted by AudioKnightsTheatre on November 28th, 2014 @ 8:52am CST
This comment isn't *just* a shameless plug; it's actually relevant to the conversation. I actually voice Drift on the MTMTE audio drama that I produce with other Audio Knights. In getting into character, I researched what made Drift the character he is. Reading all the stuff in the IDW verse, from his time as the Decepticon Deadlock to his stint on the Lost Light, to his siphonist burnout days in the Shadowplay series, I learned a very important thing.

Drift is a junkie. An addict.

Drift finds something to do, to believe in, and he adopts it wholeheartedly, to the point of distraction and, in many cases, to the point of harming himself. As a Decepticon, he thought his role was to punish and kill Autobots. He did his job with such overzealousness that even his superiors wanted him to tone down his brutality. But he couldn't stop, and eventually got "kicked out" for disobeying orders. He left and never looked back(til this issue).

On the Lost Light, he believed so much in the mission Rodimus had set forth(even the secret one concerning Overlord), he had such religious fanaticism to the cause and espoused so much positivity(because that's what he thought it meant to be an Autobot), and when he got kicked out of THAT, even with Ratchet's welcome, he had already moved on.

We've seen his drug addiction in the Shadowplay series. His addiction is obvious there. It seems he's left that behind too.

And now he's out on his own, defending the weak against bullies - this is his new and latest mission, and he has devoted himself whole-hog to this newest obsession. You'll notice Drift has a trigger reaction to most everything. He doesn't leave room for thinking or questions; he just ACTS. He has already decided his stance and doesn't let others talk him out of it. These are classic signs of an addict-to-burnout cycle which he's constantly in.

Drift drifts from place to place carrying his addictive, obsessive nature with him.

I, for one, enjoy playing his character. I can identify with backing a cause and that listless feeling when you feel lost. He's a joy to portray and I hope you guys will give our project a listen! Grab MTMTE issues 1-4 and listen along! www.TheAudioKnightsTheatre.com
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1 Preview (1625990)
Posted by Va'al on December 1st, 2014 @ 12:10pm CST
Yes, Drift is an addict, and we've seen him almost outright admitting his by now inextricable guilt at what he did, was and could be if left unchecked.

But this first issue did very little in explaining why he has returned to the loner style, if he is still following his faith (whatever that may be) or if he's had a crisis, and where that leads him. It does little of what you outline in the post, which is what I'd like to see in a story that follows a potentially poignant character with a deep storyline hiding beneath the fancy paintwork.

As I said in the review, I am hopeful for next month, but I'm not waiting with baited breath.
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #203 - Light Bringer