IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview

IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview

Tuesday, December 16th, 2014 2:35am CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 41,717

The mystery of the Empire of Stone continues, as Drift and Ratchet face an old but new threat in this week's second issue of the IDW Publishing Transformers mini-series - check out a full preview below, and come back later this week for the Seibertron.com review!

Transformers: Drift—Empire of Stone #2 (of 4)
Shane McCarthy (w) • Guido Guidi (a & c)
ONCE A DECEPTICON! DRIFT’s past comes back to haunt him, as RATCHET tries to drag him back to the Lost Light. But alone on a far-off world, DRIFT’s honor demands he stand his ground!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
The fan-favorite Transformers character returns!
Ties in directly with MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview

Credit(s): IDW

This article was last modified on Tuesday, December 16th, 2014 2:39am CST

Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1630385)
Posted by Optimizzy on December 16th, 2014 @ 8:33am CST
Still no name given on Megatron/Gigatron in the comic. And how many times is Drift going to have to say he's not Deadlock? Erg.

Giga-whatsit-tron: "So Deadlock, is the war over" (important question)

Drift: "I told you I'm not Deadlock" (ignores)
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1630397)
Posted by Va'al on December 16th, 2014 @ 9:41am CST
Optimizzy wrote:Still no name given on Megatron/Gigatron in the comic.

Second panel on the first page, Turmoil calls him Gigatron! :D
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1630409)
Posted by jogunwarrior on December 16th, 2014 @ 9:57am CST
I'm liking this preview better than the last. Gigatron looks sweet! Despite my initial reservations, I'll pick this up in trade.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1630410)
Posted by Optimizzy on December 16th, 2014 @ 9:59am CST
Va'al wrote:
Optimizzy wrote:Still no name given on Megatron/Gigatron in the comic.

Second panel on the first page, Turmoil calls him Gigatron! :D

Ah! I missed that! Thank you.

Good, now it's official.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1630454)
Posted by Samsonator on December 16th, 2014 @ 11:29am CST
Kinda wanna slap some Con stickers on my RiD Megatron's shoulderpads now...
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1630525)
Posted by Optimizzy on December 16th, 2014 @ 2:56pm CST
Yeah. But this art makes it look way better than it is IMO.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1630556)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on December 16th, 2014 @ 5:27pm CST
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1630628)
Posted by Shuttershock on December 16th, 2014 @ 10:08pm CST
Gigatron: "Muhahaha! With this hidden cache of Rock Lords at my beck and call, I shall conquer the UNIVERSE! What do you think of that, Deadlock?"

Drift: "I'm not Deadlo-"

Gigatron: "SILENCE!"
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1630881)
Posted by Va'al on December 17th, 2014 @ 1:52pm CST
SW's SilverHammer wrote:I'ght, so I just thought of something, looking through windblade #4. What if, bear with me, ratchet Drift and Gigatron, are near one of the lost colonies mentioned in windblade #4, because I think, there was a colony of micromaster combiners mentioned.

They were indeed, and I am pointing that out in the review too! :D
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1630981)
Posted by Va'al on December 17th, 2014 @ 6:03pm CST
..And Whose Army?
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

Pfft, honor

Story

You now, Drift - was Deadlock, but would rather not be reminded; was a Decepticon, see above; part of the Lost Light, then self-exiled; feels guilty about everything since pretty much forever, so heads off to be the Batman/Robin Hood of the galaxy. Why am I repeating this? We are not being allowed to forget what Drift's past is, nor his own guilt.

You tell him, Ratchet

In this second issue, though, what I am left wondering is - will the retreading of Shane McCarthy's initial pitch, with the layers of characterisation given to Drift since All Hail Megatron, actually lead to something other than unspoken guilt, unreasonable bravado and a penchant for lost causes?

Even Gigatron gets it

Don't get me wrong, there are some very good interactions in the issue, and some of characters have a fair deal of personal creation and minor development - but there is a constant feeling of something still missing in a series that is promising so much to start with, and already in the middle of its run.

Do you?

I don't mind the dialogue, though I'd like to see more of it, and I like most of the characters that McCarthy is setting up in the miniseries, from the Stone whatevers to the Micromasters (mentioned in Windblade, too), the brief return of Turmoil and the magnificence of Gigatron. But it needs more to keep us in.

Art

Now, the art is great. It was good, if not entirely apt, when the team of Guido Guidi and Steve Baskerville were working together on ReGeneration One, but it's really good in this contemporary setting - there's a sense of grit, chunky big hulks of rock in the designs of the blockier types of characters we've encountered, and that's before we even see a Stone Army.

And faces..

Of course, the feeling of dust, dirt and stone would not be complete without the magnificently painted work of JP Bove. If the bulk of the rocky art comes from the pencils and inks, the layer of grit and sand is definitely in the colours. And it's tasty grit with crunchy bits thrown in for good measure, and great lighting as the icing on top.

..all the faces

And Tom B. Long gives us a double-whammy this week, by showing his fingers in the fonting, lettering and sounding of the pages of McCarthy's script, and giving some gravitas to the dialogue where needed. The two covers are also quite a thing to look at, dealing with the duality of Drift's character in the main Guidi/Josh Burcham one, and his conscience in the Alex Milne/Josh Perez variant (thumbnail).

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Much like its preceding issue, Empire of Stone is taking its time to really kickstart its proper plot, and might get on the bad side of some readers used to the tighter stories of the two current ongoings. The stories that are there don't have more than some references, but the characters' different voices ad their interactions can, for some, make up for it.

I am hopeful

On the visual side, we have a similar concentration of silent action sequences (and pretty good ones too) to the first issue in the miniseries, and probably something we should expect for the following two issues. Fortunately, the artistic team is magnificent at conveying the ruggedness of this side of the galaxy, and we can revel in the eye candy.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: - out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1631090)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on December 17th, 2014 @ 10:28pm CST
I'm sorely tempted to get this, simply because of Gigatron. But Drift is a big thing that I have trouble getting past. If the finale is mind blowing, it may be worth it. I hope it is - I want McCarthy to make me like Drift.

But mostly I wan to go dig out Mega...ahem...Gigatron.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1631127)
Posted by Va'al on December 18th, 2014 @ 2:06am CST
Nemesis Maximo wrote:I hope it is - I want McCarthy to make me like Drift.

That is exactly my feeling. I want to like this series, the writing, the characters. I want it to be impactful, I want it to relate back to the main story in MTMTE somehow meaningful.

So far, it's not doing it. But it hasn't screamed that it won't at all.

So, like Natalie Imbruglia, I am torn.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1631132)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 18th, 2014 @ 2:47am CST
I have a question though, didn't spotlight: Night beat kinda hint that the micromasters were the creation of Jihaxus?
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1631133)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 18th, 2014 @ 2:48am CST
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1631137)
Posted by Va'al on December 18th, 2014 @ 3:03am CST

I think.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1631148)
Posted by Windsweeper on December 18th, 2014 @ 4:22am CST
Ah but none of the Micromaster characters we've seen since have been small so maybe Jhiaxus was involved in down sizing the ones in Nightbeat.

I'm really enjoying this series despite my initial misgivings.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1631237)
Posted by Mkall on December 18th, 2014 @ 11:30am CST
Sigh... I'm going to have to find me an RiD Megatron now?

The story isn't bad. I'm liking that the Breastforce are making an appearance.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1631258)
Posted by Flashwave on December 18th, 2014 @ 1:06pm CST
Va'al wrote:I believe the Windblade colony explanation sort of overrides that. As it overrides the 'Arcee is only non-male character'. Jhiaxus may as well have created *some*, but there are more out there that are 'naturally' occurring.

I think.

Truthflly, I think its more that after a few years, backgrond cameos get reused and we're reading into it too much.

The Gorlam Prime Micromasters were organic beings who evolved into mechanical ones, first through simple cyborg implants, and then outright living mechanical entities, and yes, that was through Jhaxius' intervention. Off the top of my head, the Gorlam Prime Micromasters were never named as individuals. The fandom "assumed" names becase Hey, that's who they looked like, but they were crowd filler, whereas the Micromasters we've met in story with names but at full scale, Fixit etc., are the actual Micromasters characters. And since I don't have Windblade handy, were the MM colony bots at fll scale or icro scale?

Also of note: There are plenty of Titan's jst laying around. Remember Prime plled one of them out of the time travellling planet, maybe what we saw in WIndblade wa a Titan on Gorlam Prime sleeping with its eyes open? ;)
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1631259)
Posted by Flashwave on December 18th, 2014 @ 1:06pm CST

I think.

Also of note: There are plenty of Titan's jst laying around. Remember Prime plled one of them out of the time travellling planet, maybe what we saw in WIndblade wa a Titan sleeping with its eyes open? ;)
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #2 Full Preview (1631262)
Posted by 1984forever on December 18th, 2014 @ 1:18pm CST
AHM proves that Shane can write much better stuff than this. The plot sucks, the dialogue sucks and the art is outdated. I am so tired of seeing Transformers covered with dents and dings. No one takes pride in their appearance anymore!

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Megatron and Doomshot" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Autobot Sovereign Alpha Trion 7" Action Figure  Nib" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titan Returns Blitzwing + Headmaster Hazard Voyager class New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return BROADSIDE BLUNDERBUSS Generations Voyager Class" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Titans Return Legends Class COSMOS" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Darkmoon & Astrotrain Titans Return Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations - Titans Return Daburu & Autobot Twinferno (loose)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations - Titans Return Hyperfire & Blurr (loose)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime RID Deluxe Class Sergeant Kup Autobot Action Figure Hasbro" on EBAY