IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview

Tuesday, February 24th, 2015 5:10am CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 21,385

And here it is, the final preview for mini-series Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone by IDW Publishing. What do you think will happen, what will Gigatron do, how far will Hellbat go, and how many more times will Drift remind us of his past? Find out below, read our interview with series writer Shane McCarthy here, and head back here tomorrow for the Seibertron.com review!

Transformers: Drift—Empire of Stone #4 (of 4)
Shane McCarthy (w) • Guido Guidi (a & c)
FINAL FATE! This is it—DRIFT and RATCHET show down against the STONE ARMY! Will DRIFT rejoin the AUTOBOTS—or forge a new fate in the farthest reaches of the galaxy?
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
This issue’s fallout will impact TRANSFORMERS comics for years to come!
Ties in directly MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview

Credit(s): IDW

Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1655492)
Posted by ZeroWolf on February 24th, 2015 @ 8:18am CST
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1655528)
Posted by Shuttershock on February 24th, 2015 @ 9:51am CST
ZeroWolf wrote:Is it wrong that I don't want either Gigatron or hellbat to die? Gigatron could make for an interesting rival to Galvatron's leadership down the line. Hellbat could serve as an introduction for the rest of the breastforce into the IDW verse, and we need liokaiser.

That's the funny thing about Transformers villains. There are some real bastards our heroes are up against, but you don't want to see them die and have no more chances to be bastards. Sure, you usually want them to lose, but it would feel like a waste to outright kill them.

That said, Japanese characters have not had a good survival rate in the two ongoings, so it's not looking good statistically.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1655602)
Posted by Bounti76 on February 24th, 2015 @ 11:55am CST

I've not had much experience with his writing beyond this mini, but I know it's pretty widely panned among a good portion of the fandom. Now I can see why. Drift has no need to introduce and re-introduce himself in EVERY FREAKING ISSUE. "I'm Drift. I used to be a Decepticon. Then I was an Autobot. Now, I'm neither." Talk about Bluster. And making him talk like a badass or a wiseass all the time? There's your bravado right there. It just seems so forced and makes me roll my eyes. I can't take anything in this series seriously. Maybe I'm just too used to the great writing in MTME. Coherent plot threads, character development in spades..... In McCarthy's hands, it doesn't seem like Drift has actually learned anything or become any different. If he does come back to MTME, I can only hope Roberts can fix the damage. If not, I'm not attached to Drift, so it won't be a big loss.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1655788)
Posted by That_Guy on February 24th, 2015 @ 8:06pm CST
Bounti76 wrote:"All bluster and bravado." How funny that McCarthy gives us such a succinct summation of the entire series.

Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1655858)
Posted by Bounti76 on February 25th, 2015 @ 12:33am CST
That_Guy wrote:I don't mind it, then again I'm a fan of the Flash and Arrow on the CW so it reminds me of that in a way.

More power to you if you do. I don't fault anyone for liking it, I just personally can't stand it-to me, McCarthy's writing is so heavy-handed and doesn't do anything to advance a character's growth, it just tries to force people to accept Drift as a badass when he could do it through actions rather than the same internal dialogue over and over.

But different strokes for different folks, eh? I loved the Windblade miniseries and will subscribe to the new ongoing when it's out, because I feel Mairghread Scott has a far better grasp on writing for various characters. Hers are fleshed out and have more layers and subtlety to them.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1655867)
Posted by LE0KING on February 25th, 2015 @ 2:14am CST

I gotta agree with you. It feels like he watched a bunch of 80's action movies before he wrote this. Replace Drift with Stallone and you've got the latest Rambo.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1655913)
Posted by That_Guy on February 25th, 2015 @ 6:33am CST
Bounti76 wrote:

I enjoyed it as well. In all honesty did not see thag twist at the end.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1656117)
Posted by Bounti76 on February 25th, 2015 @ 8:02pm CST
That_Guy wrote:
Bounti76 wrote:

I enjoyed it as well. In all honesty did not see thag twist at the end.

Are you talking about the reveal of Chromia as the bomber?
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1656133)
Posted by That_Guy on February 25th, 2015 @ 9:24pm CST
yup, did not see that coming.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1656195)
Posted by Dead Metal on February 26th, 2015 @ 3:52am CST
That_Guy wrote:yup, did not see that coming.

How? That got dropped on us in Windblade's opening monologue "The only one I can trust is Chromia", every time that line is used in any fiction it means that that character is the one who ends up betraying the lead.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1928168)
Posted by Va'al on December 26th, 2017 @ 4:10am CST
And finally, our third preview of a newly released Transformers comic from IDW Publishing sees the character of Drift - introduced all the way back in All Hail Megatron, and become a mainstay in most of the stories since - show up in all of his Drift-centric stories, from Spotlight: Drift, to his eponymous mini-series to the Empire of Stone follow up, of which we are seeing repercussions to this day, more or less in the background (keep an eye out for that in the likes of Lost Light).

Check out the full preview below, and join the discussion in the Energon Pub discussion boards!

Transformers Drift: Origins & Empires
Shane McCarthy (w) • Alex Milne, Guido Guidi, Marcelo Ferreira (a) • Livio Ramondelli (c)
Repentant villain Drift roams the galaxy, waging a solitary war on his former allies, delivering swift justice to any Decepticons that cross his path. But with many Autobots refusing to trust him, and many Decepticons sure he's pulling a scheme, walking the straight and narrow path won't be easy, and Drift—previously known as Deadlock—must repeatedly face the consequences of his past mistakes. Collects Transformers Spotlight: Drift, Transformers: Drift #1–4, and Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #1–4.
TPB • FC • $24.99 • 220 pages • ISBN: 978-1-68405-223-3

Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1928272)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on December 26th, 2017 @ 2:53pm CST
I didn't care about Drift until I started reading MTMTE, so I didn't read any of this. Now it's all in one nice package. I'm definitely picking this up.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1932904)
Posted by WreckerJack on January 21st, 2018 @ 11:52pm CST
I already have Emprire of Stone so I don't get why it's included in this. I don't have any of the others so I just have to figure which option is cheaper, granted I am a huge fan of paper books/comics.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1932976)
Posted by ScottyP on January 22nd, 2018 @ 10:02am CST
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1933023)
Posted by Va'al on January 22nd, 2018 @ 1:11pm CST
ScottyP wrote:Out just in time for Flame Toys Drift! Or the Wing, Drift, and Deadlock MMC are doing. Total Brand and/or Theft Awareness!

The Brand is bigger than us all. Which is why one can never reach True Total Brand Awareness.
Re: IDW Transformers Drift: Empire of Stone #4 Full Preview (1933251)
Posted by ScottyP on January 23rd, 2018 @ 12:08pm CST
Va'al wrote:

:stares at MMC Wing in its glorious plastic Circle-of-Light awesomeness:

:knows deep down it's not really a Transformer:

Indeed, I shall have to find some penance worthy of The Brand.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Turbo Changer Super Nova Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Chaos on Velocitron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Sky Shadow and  Ominus" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "2013 SDCC Hasbro Exclusive: TRANSFORMERS VS GI JOE Jetfire" on EBAY
Buy "2007 SDCC Exclusive Transformers Alternators Ford GT Rodimus MISB" on EBAY
Buy "GI JOE 2013 SDCC JOECON SNAKE EYES!! TRANSFORMERS CROSSOVER!!" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS MEGATRON PIN BY TOM WHALEN MONDO 2019 SDCC COMIC CON EXCLUSIVE" on EBAY
Buy "transformers metroplex sdcc titan class MISB" on EBAY
Buy "POO SHAM; Transformers BotBots 2018, Toilet Troop" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Earthrise Trailbreaker Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots: Meet High Tide [Passport to Reading]" on EBAY