Transformers News: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover

Wednesday, August 7th, 2019 12:19am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Stargrave   Views: 14,733

Thanks to Spook Central on Facebook we have a full preview for the upcoming Transformers/Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron issue #3. As reported previously this issue will reveal the origin of Ectotron's name and shows what Starscream gets for acting like Starscream around the wrong Ghostbuster. The issue is written by Erik Burnham with art by Dan Schoening and is expected in stores tomorrow August 7th. Presented here are the three variant covers for the issue with art by Dan Schoening for cover A, Nick Roche for cover B, and Philip Murphy for the retail incentive cover.

Enjoy the preview images for issue #3 below and keep reading to check out the incentive cover for issue #4 by artist Chris Panda.

Thanks to our own ScottyP we've learned of the incentive cover for issue #4 by Chris Panda over at Previews World. Previews World also provides a nice brief summary of what to expect in the upcoming issue (see below). Anyone wanting to avoid spoilers for issue #4 should stop reading now. The issue is expected in stores September 4th.

As always share your thoughts with the Seibertron crew in the forums and stay tuned to Seibertron for the ultimate in Transformers news.

Here's Previews World's rundown of the issue:
"GHOSTS OF CYBERTRON", PART 4! The Ghostbusters and their Autobot allies search the greater New York City area for the missing ghost of Starscream-and discover something much worse has been drawn to Earth. Can our heroes overcome this evil ectoplasmic entity before it utterly annihilates everything in order to achieve its ends? Find out in the penultimate chapter of this team up for the ages: TRANSFORMERS/GHOSTBUSTERS "GHOSTS OF CYBERTRON" #4!

Credit(s): Spook Central on Facebook/ScottyP on Seibertron

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2033637)
Posted by eburnham on August 7th, 2019 @ 3:06pm CDT
Y'know, I saw a few questions on how Grimlock made it in.

Well, I wrote the in-story reasoning in dialogue and it got cut for space. (;

The real world explanation? Dan drew him on the cover, wherein he put every character he wanted to draw, and I had to include him.

(Figure if I can get away with the events of issue 1, I can get away with that.)

But anyway, glad to see folks are digging it. Maybe we'll do more someday...!
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2033657)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 7th, 2019 @ 5:55pm CDT
eburnham wrote:Y'know, I saw a few questions on how Grimlock made it in.

Well, I wrote the in-story reasoning in dialogue and it got cut for space. (;

But anyway, glad to see folks are digging it. Maybe we'll do more someday...!

Thank you for posting and welcome to Seibertron! You know I never even questioned Grimlock being there :lol: So used to having part of the cast anyway. You're doing great work :)
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2033661)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 7th, 2019 @ 6:37pm CDT
Review coming tonight, been slightly delayed in writing it.

But in short, it is very good and really fun!
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2033668)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 7th, 2019 @ 7:34pm CDT
Graffitimus Prime
A Seibertron.com Review of IDW Transformers Ghostbusters #3

Peter can't deal with that right now

Story

Issue #3 marks the halfway point in this 5 issue crossover of 2 beloved 1984 franchises. The Men in Beige have now met the Bot in Red and Blue, and more Ghosts have been busted.

So how does the issue stack up with the story so far? Keep reading on to find out! And if you need to catch up on the important details of the issue, check out our Database Entry!

Admit it, you can hear that siren too

Issue #3 gave us some great moments with the Ghostbusters and bots. As the issues have gone on, we have gotten some better and more enjoyable Bot to Buster interactions, and this issue continued tha trend.

I would not have guessed or even thought about this prior to the series, but Peter and Starscream make for a great comedy couple. The Starscream snark and attempts to intimidate coupled with the mouth of Peter have led to some really cool and sometimes downright hilarious moments. One of my favorite parts of the issue was Peter just casually tossing Starscream in a hidden trap because he didn't trust him, and hey, can we blame him?

Also admit this: you always hoped these 2 would come face-to-face

Ectotron has certainly made his home with the Busters as well. The jokes surrounding his name finally culminating in his (much better) rebranding was believable and fun. And then he remembers that he literally is the Ecto-1 right now, and his weariness at being the transport was fun. I also enjoyed the Ghost hunt and the blooming friendship he has with the Ghostbusters. Can the poor bot get a particle thrower already???

And I will admit, this was the major smiling moment for me

And we finally duck back to the Ark and the other Autobots. And with that trip back to Ark, I really hope we get a Grimlock on Earth with Ghosts and a Wheeljack/Egon meeting. The few pages on the Ark made it clear that there is a lot of fun to be had with some Auto-buster mashups beyond Prime and Ectotron.

The story was a good and entertaining one. There was some plot progression, some fun ghost hunting, team bonding, and of course some great Buster jokes. The Ghostbusters are a great crew, and it has been and continues to be so much fun to enjoy them like this.

Yes, story and characters are pretty good.

Art

Art duties fall once more to Dan Schoening, Luis Antonio Delgado, and Tom B. Long on art, colors, and lettering respectively. It has been a joy to watch and look at the art for this crossover so far, and this issue continues that quality. I haven't really had a major complaint about any part of the art so far, and the quality has been nice and consistent, which is really nice considering this creative team doesn't get to draw and color Transformers much. They caught on quick!

If I had one little complaint, it would be that the other Autobots (mostly Optimus) besides Ectotron seem to possess just a little bit too much of a cartoony feel, mostly in the overly large chests. But it's a stylistic option and it is only a minor thing for the whole issue. The lines have been strong and defining, and I have loved the colors. Luis has gotten to flex his muscles with the colors of the ghosts, traps, and particle throwers. It has been one of the major art highlights of the series for me. It's great to see.

I wouldn't want to either

Conclusion

Halfway through this crossover, and I am feeling really good about this series.

The series has been a joy to read, and has provided some classic banter while throwing in some larger than life robots into the mix, with great results. It has been very lively, with every page giving you something good to take away, and has given me quite a few laughs. The chemistry here is wonderful, these were 2 franchises meant to meet each other. Keep going strong crew!

P.S. Now that we got the classic "ain't afraid of no ghost" line, bets on who says "more than meets the eye" anyone?

:KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: out of :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK:
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2033674)
Posted by Burn on August 7th, 2019 @ 8:16pm CDT
I've read every Transformers crossover ever. I survived the New Avengers long enough to be confronted with the train wreck that was The Visionaries which just helped reinforce my disdain for Transformers crossing over with other franchises.

And then IDW threw Star Trek at us, and it was silly. Silly fun, but it offered hope that after the mess of previous crossovers there could be something GOOD!

And there is, and this is it. But it's not just good, it's a bloody ripper.

I've always enjoyed IDW's Ghostbuster comics. Great visuals and great story telling, and that's carried over into this crossover.

This particular issue was just fun. From Ectotron getting his new name, leading to Optimus Prime to mutter a "thank Primus" for it, to Ectotron not wanting to talk about the squishy humans riding inside of him. Small moments of humour really made the issue.

I mean sure, it's basically a glorified advertisement for Ectotron, and what will no doubt be Ghostbuster Optimus Prime, BUT IT'S BLOODY FUN!

Collect them individually, wait for the trade, whatever floats your goat, just be sure to pick it up and have a read of it.
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2033675)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 7th, 2019 @ 8:19pm CDT
^^Basically my review, but in much better and simpler less formal language!
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2033680)
Posted by Acolyte on August 7th, 2019 @ 11:30pm CDT
I picked up the Ectotron toy while I was visiting a GameStop in the states a few weeks back. Didn't open him, because I had MP-10G enroute to my home in Japan when I returned. ECTO-35 Optimus arrived today, and I took a moment to open both and just really tinker around and enjoy the many amazing pieces of love and detail that they put into those toys ("We're ready to believe you" on the side of MP-10G's trailer, painted Slimer/translucent Slimer, Roller is a ghost trap, proton packs on both models, logos and beautiful coloration throughout).

And I thought to myself: "You know, I've never read any of the crossover comics these two are based on, but if they put half as much effort into them as they did these toys this could be a real love affair."

And it sounds like they did.

I can't wait to pick up some copies.

Side note/unpopular opinion: I just watched the all female 2016 Ghostbusters movie - with much skepticism - and it actually won me over. It was funny, it was a better edited shot-for-shot style reboot of the original. There was very minimal guy-bashing, and the little that there was was kind of like an inside joke amongst ladies when they go out and talk about their husbands/boyfriends; it had a degree of love and acceptance to it. I dunno, I just expected to thoroughly hate it, and ended up really enjoying it. I would easily (h/t Brian Kilby from RFC) endorse a "into the Ghost-verse" version of this movie where it turns out there are multiple Ghostbusters teams across multiple dimensions. Especially if we get a cinematic Ectotron.
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2033695)
Posted by eburnham on August 8th, 2019 @ 4:08am CDT
I mean, we make full use of all Ghostbusters.

Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2033814)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 8th, 2019 @ 9:08pm CDT
eburnham wrote:I mean, we make full use of all Ghostbusters.

Dang, more madness to pick up.

I really need a massive Amazon card to purchase all the Ghostbusters books
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2033848)
Posted by Big Grim on August 9th, 2019 @ 3:56am CDT
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:Dang, more madness to pick up.

I really need a massive Amazon card to purchase all the Ghostbusters books

The recent sale on Comixology gave me a chance to buy the everything they had and damn near all of it is amazing. I want more and this crossover is just a delight!

I do wonder if this will stay canon and be mentioned vaguely in the same way the Turtles crossovers have?
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2033945)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 9th, 2019 @ 9:17pm CDT
Big Grim wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:Dang, more madness to pick up.

I really need a massive Amazon card to purchase all the Ghostbusters books

I hope we see more of Ectotron. It would be awesome if the GB comics would be allowed to keep a hold of him after this crossover
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2034873)
Posted by Stargrave on August 17th, 2019 @ 11:05am CDT
I FINALLY got out to the comic shop and snagged the first two issues. Hooked! This is very much a longtime love of mine a Transformers What If..? story. Like Hearts of Steel only modern and with Ghostbusters. Ten pounds of awesome in a five pound bag I can’t wait to read the rest.

Ghostbusters was one of the first movies we rented for our VCR when I was a kid and I rented it and re-rented it dozens of times just playing it all weekend long. You totally got chocolate in my peanut butter.
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2035867)
Posted by Stargrave on August 26th, 2019 @ 11:23am CDT
Buckle up your proton packs Seibertronians, iTunes has posted their preview of the hilarious crossover Transformers/Ghostbusters: Ghosts of Cybertron issue #4! Here we finally get to see Optimus decked out in his MP-10 G Ecto-35 deco. For Erik Burnham to make Ectotron and EctoOptimus parts of the actual story and not just some themed toy to go along with the promotion is truly a clever feat of writing, and Dan Shoening is a natural at visually capturing the spirit of these characters from two very diverse genres. We hope you enjoy the preview and if you haven't already you should get out to your local comic shop and catch up quick as you can because most fans agree this is a highly enjoyable jaunt into the What if...? realm of Transformers. Enjoy the preview and share your thoughts in the forums. As always stay tuned to Seibertron for the ultimate in Transformers news.

From iTunes:
“GHOSTS OF CYBERTRON”, PART 4! The Ghostbusters and their Autobot allies search the greater New York City area for the missing ghost of Starscream—and discover something much worse has been drawn to Earth. Can our heroes overcome this evil ectoplasmic entity before it utterly annihilates everything in order to achieve its ends? Find out in the penultimate chapter of this team-up for the ages: TRANSFORMERS/GHOSTBUSTERS “GHOSTS OF CYBERTRON” #4!"

Transformers/Ghostbusters #4
Erik Burnham & Dan Schoening

Pre-Order
Expected Sep 4, 2019
$3.99

Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2035920)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 26th, 2019 @ 6:24pm CDT
Every drop of that preview was Pure. Gold.
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2035974)
Posted by Big Grim on August 27th, 2019 @ 4:51am CDT
I'm loving this comic so, so much. And Prime REALLY rocks that colour scheme!
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2036072)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 27th, 2019 @ 5:26pm CDT
Big Grim wrote:I'm loving this comic so, so much. And Prime REALLY rocks that colour scheme!

He does! and the humor he has is so refreshing!
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2036952)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on September 4th, 2019 @ 8:21pm CDT
Proton Prime
A Seibertron.com Review of IDW Transformers Ghostbusters #4

Powering Up

Story

Just when you thought Grimlock saying he ain't afraid of no ghost was the highlight of the series, issue 4 comes along. Issue 4 of 5 takes us to the setting of the climax of the series, and with crossovers such as this, issue 4 truly is one of the most important: it needs to set up the finale and make you care and get you all excited for the finale.

And the Ghostbusters did not disappoint. All 6 of them.

The ghosts of the past coming back

One of the best things about this issue had to be the addition of Optimus Prime to the Ghostbusting crew. And we aren't talking about a Prime who is boring, who gives big heroic speeches, who monologues a lot, and who is fairly monotone. No, what we get here is a Prime from the original cartoon that plays basketball and cracks wise. It was refreshing and really fun to read Prime interacting with the Ghostbusters, especially with Venkman. It felt different in a great way and he contributed greatly to the story.

Oh and he gets of the best line of the series. Seriously, if you don't enjoy that last page, can you ever truly love anything?

Seriously one of the best Prime moments in a long time

Ectotron and the Ghostbusters also get their share of time, and this issue solidifies just how good of a team they are becoming, and also how disgusting us humans can truly be sometimes. Their chemistry is enjoyable, and Ectotron's first time out with the Proton Pack went about as expected, and it was enjoyable and entertaining all the while.

My face if I was given a Proton Pack too!

We also get to the crux of the story regarding what happened to the Decepticons, and who the mysterious red hooded figure is, and it's enjoyable. It's a bit straightforward, but sometimes you just need that.

That is a place where this crossover really shines: it isn't world ending serious, it is light-hearted, upbeat, and fun. You have quippy characters that make sense and fit into the theme of the series. It's a comedy action comic, and the whole tone of the series has followed that theme perfectly.

It's a very enjoyable series, and Issue 4 continues that trend.

Art

Art duties fall to Dan Schoening, Luis Antonio Delgado, and Tom B. Long on art, colors, and lettering respectively, and they are a great trio that bring this comic to life in a wonderful way.

The ghosts continue to be wonderful brought to life(?), and the Kremzeeks in the issue are wonderful too. The team truly does a great job of bringing both of these strange and interesting concepts to life and making you enjoy what you are seeing as your are reading. It's quite a good look!

Note: story, humor, and art all captured perfectly in this panel

They also do a wonderful job of bringing the backgrounds to life, and this is the most evident in the scene whenever Kremzeek first shows up. The bright sunny day quickly changing over to a dreadful foggy scene was awesome, and the maintaining of this scenery was great too. No matter what part of the panel you are looking at, you get some awesome living characters, ghosts, and backgrounds. The art crew has done a great job, and this issue was the highlight of the background scenery part of that art.

Conclusion

Ghosts of Cybertron has been a great, enjoyable series. This is what a crossover can do when it follows a fun, light-hearted tone that allows its characters to interact in fun ways that still fit within their characterizations. It is great!

I have greatly enjoyed all 4 issues so far, and with the final panel of this issue, I am all set and excited for the conclusion. This crew of 6 meshes together wonderfully, and it makes me yearn for more of this kind of crossover. The Ghostbusters and the Transformers make for a great gang with great chemistry, and I could not be happier with how things have been going.

Alright guys, let's finish the job strong!

:KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: 1/2 out of :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK:
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2036968)
Posted by Burn on September 5th, 2019 @ 4:00am CDT
There's two words to best describe this series.

Ridiculously fun

Another two words would be

Cheap plug

And that's what it is, it's basically a comic series tie-in to give a back story to two toys.

It's blatant marketing.

And I fucking love it.

There is nothing spectacular about the writing, it's not going to make people go into a meditative state and contemplate the universe and where their life fits into it.

It is however, going to give you a brief escape from their life.

This issue is basic.

Prime explains how his new paint job - hint at bigger bad - funny banter amongst Ghostbusters, and even Prime himself - find Starscream - big bad is revealed - big bad is defeated - more bad guys!

That's it! That's how you can break this story down, it's nearly as basic as those old He-Man comics that came packaged with the He-Man figures.

BUT I FUCKING LOVE IT!

If you're not on board yet, GET ON!
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2036989)
Posted by Stargrave on September 5th, 2019 @ 9:53am CDT
Excellent reviews guys :lol:

Hey with so many fans taking issue (see what I did there) with the main TF title are there elements from this you would transplant to the other tittle? Like humor, character interaction, art, etc. do you see things that work here that would improve the other title? This being such a winner for everyone I wanted to pick some brains.
Re: IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Issue 3 Full Preview and Issue 4 Incentive Cover (2037037)
Posted by eburnham on September 5th, 2019 @ 2:12pm CDT
Burn wrote:
This issue is basic.

I mean, I was going for clarity and accessibility, after all. (:

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Wreck-Gar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Brawn" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #241 - Toy Fair 2020
"Toy Fair 2020"
Posted: Monday, February 24th, 2020

Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise 1-Step Changers BISK" on EBAY
Buy "TOMY Transformers Legends LG39 Brainstorm" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Thrilling 30 Starscream & Waspinator, 100% Complete, MOC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Wheeljack, 100% Complete, MOC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Ironhide, 100% Complete, MOC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Chop Shop, 100% Complete, MOC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Skywarp, 100% Complete, MOC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rodimus (Hot Rod) G1 Generations Classics RID Deluxe Complete" on EBAY