IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers

IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers

Friday, January 27th, 2017 7:19am CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 17,289

After the April 2017 solicits for the IDW Publishing Transformers comics came out earlier this week, we also have some additional variant covers to show for Lost Light #3 and Lost Light #5, courtesy of their artist teams (Alex Milne, Nick Roche, Josh Burcham, Josh Perez). Check them out below, featuring both old and new friends!

(W) James Roberts (A) Jack Lawrence (CA) Nelson Daniel, Alex Milne
Orders, kind gestures and pleas for mercy-all things that WHIRL finds it very easy to ignore. Right now, he wishes he could turn a blind eye to the freshly resuscitated monster who-somewhat inconveniently-is determined to beat him to death. Meanwhile-a long way away-one of the Transformers Universe's longest-running mysteries is about to be solved...

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers

Credit(s): Previews World, Various

This article was last modified on Friday, January 27th, 2017 9:54am CST

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855082)
Posted by Big Grim on January 27th, 2017 @ 7:48am CST
Man, I love the Special Snowflake cover! :D
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855107)
Posted by galvatron00 on January 27th, 2017 @ 9:44am CST

Whoops.

Pretty good stuff though. I'm digging this storyline.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855129)
Posted by Randomhero on January 27th, 2017 @ 10:55am CST
itscramtastic wrote:Figured I'd throw it out there, was anyone else able to pick up Lost Light #2 on the IDW app the other day? I did, and it downloaded to my iPhone, but when I tried to access it on the iPad it said "Release on 2/1" :lol: :lol:

Whoops.

Pretty good stuff though. I'm digging this storyline.

I did. I stated it a couple days ago it showed up for a probably 15-30 minutes Tuesday night.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855132)
Posted by galvatron00 on January 27th, 2017 @ 10:57am CST
Randomhero wrote:

Whoops.

Pretty good stuff though. I'm digging this storyline.
I picked it up around noonish EST on Wednesday (hooray new comic book day!!). That's crazy if it showed up on Tuesday too!!
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855196)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 27th, 2017 @ 2:41pm CST
Screenrant has published a Transformers-related list in the form of a Top 15 reasons why Lost Light is the greatest story in the franchise! As many of us remember, More Than Meets The Eye was a very good book that was highly praised and awarded during its run, and the story continues on as Lost Light with issue 2 coming out next week.

You can read the whole list by going to the above link, and we have quoted part of the list below for you to read. Let us know what you think in the comments section below!

Transformers sometimes get a bad rap, but historically, the breeding ground for great storytelling in the world of Autobots and Decepticons has been in comic books. Bob Budiansky and Simon Furman conceived the lion’s share of what have become the basic cornerstones of the Transformers universe through Marvel’s Transformers comic in the ’80s and ’90s.

The current Transformers comics are produced by IDW, and while every series they’re currently producing is at the very least good, there’s one that stands head and shoulders above the rest: James Roberts’ Transformers: Lost Light.

Originally titled More Than Meets The Eye, the recently rebranded series tells the story of a ragtag group of post-war Cybertronians ostensibly on a mission to find the mythic Knights of Cybertron. That’s not what the book is really about though; it’s a story of freedom, redemption, romance, and family. It is equal parts hilarious and terrifying. It’s the best fiction ever associated with the franchise, and it’s not even a close race.

.....

13. DEVELOPMENT OF D-LIST CHARACTERS INTO FAN FAVORITES

Remember when you were a kid, desperately scouring Toys ‘R’ Us for the newest Grimlock or Starscream figures only to find shelves overflowing with the mediocre toy of some character you’d never heard of? The affectionate term coined for such toys is “pegwarmers.” The Lost Light is practically overflowing with pegwarmers.

Part of Roberts’ genius early on was making a conscious decision not to lean too heavily on the established icons of the Transformers mythos. A lot of those characters are compelling, but they have decades worth of storytelling baggage and expectations. Taking obscure, little-loved characters that had largely been ignored by the pre-existing fiction and grafting complex, surprising personalities onto them provided the crew of the Lost Light with a genuine breath of fresh air.

There’s Tailgate, a diminutive, endlessly enthusiastic Autobot who accidentally slept through the entire war; Brainstorm, an absolute genius inventor who is just a bit too amoral to be wearing that Autobot insignia; and Skids, a highly skilled theoretician with some alarming holes in his memory. It’s a sprawling, eclectic cast, though a few characters definitely stand out from the rest…

.....

7. THE SCAVENGERS

Imagine you’re a soldier in a universe spanning war that’s been going on for millions of years. You’re not a good soldier; there’s a decent chance you’re among the very worst. You’re in such a remote part of the universe that when the war ends, nobody bothers to tell you. You eventually figure out you’re on your own, and you were on the losing side of the war. What do you do?

That’s the scenario that faces the Scavengers, a group of absolutely anonymous Decepticon grunts. They have exactly one thing in common with the nightmarish Overlord: they have no real loyalty to Megatron or the Decepticon cause. They’re just trying to survive by whatever means necessary, dodging the gaze of more serious Decepticon outfits, and taking on surprising allies, like the brain-damaged Autobot warrior Grimlock. The book only periodically visits these Decepticon counterparts to the main cast, but the characters are just as fully realized and compelling as the crew of the Lost Light.

.....

5. THE REVOLUTIONARY ARTWORK

While James Roberts rightly fields the majority of the praise for the book’s success, Lost Light wouldn’t be what it is without its stable of artists. The book was launched with the sublime Nick Roche on pencils, and Jack Lawrence has recently taken the reins to great effect, but Roberts’ true partner in this endeavor has been Alex Milne.

Milne got his start working on Transformers during the infamous period when Dreamwave held the license, ghosting for that company’s owner and self-proclaimed “superstar” artist, Pat Lee. If anything positive came out of the embarrassing, litigious Dreamwave debacle, it was Milne. His work brims with painstaking detail, and no one has ever had the ability to infuse life into robots the way he can. He has the uncanny ability to let his characters emote without ever veering into cartoonish excess. The book is as defined by his visual flair as it is Roberts’ meticulous plotting. His future on the title is, at the moment, a bit unclear, but it’s difficult to imagine reading these characters for an extended period of time without his influence.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855197)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 27th, 2017 @ 2:43pm CST
Gotta agree with this list, makes a compelling case.

Gotta love that they took a shot at the art and how Milne really is the star of the series. He is. His art is the legitimate best of the Transformers world
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855203)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on January 27th, 2017 @ 2:50pm CST
Sorry, I've tried multiple times to get into IDW stories but they just don't do it for me. Glad they're doing ok for most folk though.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855223)
Posted by Deadput on January 27th, 2017 @ 3:31pm CST
Really?

MtMTE is enjoyable to read it really is but the greatest?

I don't really think it's the god tier Shakespeare story telling of the franchise especially since season 2 was overall disappointing for most of it.

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855262)
Posted by lowman_x on January 27th, 2017 @ 6:26pm CST
Deadput wrote:Part of why it was great was because of Alex Milne's amazing art but with him mostly gone besides filling in for an issue for another series it becomes less enjoyable when they get sub par in comparisons artists that have a different tone.

I have to agree with you there. I enjoy Lawrence's work, but the style is a real step-in-a-too-cartoony-direction for my tastes, especially after Milne's detailed stuff. I could see Lawrence teaming with Sara on Til All Are One and really gelling with that book's vibe and look and really doing well there, but it's throwing me off a bit in Lost Light.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855280)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 27th, 2017 @ 7:52pm CST
lowman_x wrote:

It's an issue with me too. The art is what is throwing me off the book and making it not as enjoyable.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855326)
Posted by ricemazter on January 28th, 2017 @ 12:28am CST
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
lowman_x wrote:

Honestly, I think Alex Milne spoiled us rotten in terms of art, which makes it really hard to accept any substitutes. One thing I do appreciate is that LL isn't trying to emulate Milne the way some other artists tended to, but he was almost too good.

This might be a good opportunity to see if Robert's story telling can do most of the legwork, without relying on something beautiful to look at constantly.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855329)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 28th, 2017 @ 12:37am CST
ricemazter wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
lowman_x wrote:

I agree with you. I agree with the screenrant thing that Milne made the book memorable. His art was perfect and so detailed and well done. Roche did good for issue 1, and I think the best issue without Milne was #47 with Brendan Cahill.

But Milne will be coming back. He and Lawrence are going every other story arc, so we'll get him back again in a few months
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855333)
Posted by lowman_x on January 28th, 2017 @ 1:41am CST
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:

Is that confirmed?
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855338)
Posted by WreckerJack on January 28th, 2017 @ 2:49am CST
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855342)
Posted by Va'al on January 28th, 2017 @ 3:17am CST
lowman_x wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:

Is that confirmed?

Yes and no, differing sources, no hard confirmation. It just gets cloudier the further we go along. 8-}
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855346)
Posted by lowman_x on January 28th, 2017 @ 3:55am CST
WreckerJack wrote:I hope Milne is in good health. I remember a while back he was pushing himself too hard for a while. I really do enjoy his artwork.

My biggest worry is his diabetes and I really hope he's keeping that in check. I've had a friend lose a foot and another friend died because they weren't taking care of themselves and monitoring their diabetes.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855347)
Posted by lowman_x on January 28th, 2017 @ 3:58am CST
Va'al wrote:
lowman_x wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:

Is that confirmed?

Yeah, everything I've heard from Milne (via Twitter mainly) is that he wasn't even sure why he was taken off the roster for MTMTE/LL. There's probably something going on in the background that we're not aware of... I *do* hope they alternate, that'd be good.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855348)
Posted by 1984forever on January 28th, 2017 @ 3:59am CST

14) Worst version of Rodimus ever. He doesn't have the maturity or the strength to be Rodimus Prime. He's too girly looking and immature to even be Hot Rod.

13) Transformers is not all about Grimlock and Starscream, but it's not all about Tailgate and Brainstorm either. 5 years worth of Roberts relentlessly focusing on the same characters = Stale.

12) Chromedome and Rewind = canon slashfic.

11) Hated Whirl ever since my parents got him for me with a bunch of cooler TFs like Grapple and Hoist for Christmas '85. I would have preferred getting 2 Hoists instead of them wasting money on Whirl. Just a stupid looking cornball character. Doesn't even look like a real Transformer.

10) Roberts couldn't get Bluestreak, so he re-purposed Swerve into Bluestreak and threw his tech specs out the window. Swerve is a Bluestreak KO.

9) MTMTE turned Ultra Magnus into a fraud.

Eight (keeps coming out as an emoji so i have to spell it) We didn't get enough of Overlord.

7) We didn't get enough of the Scavengers either.

6) Characters are too chatty.

5) Milne's alt-modes are the worst.

4) I don't like how IDW handled Shockwave at all.

3) Can't decide now if it's Milne's alt-modes that are the worst, or if it's Roberts world building.

2) DJD. Worst conclusion ever.

1) Megatron's redemption. So a guy murders your friends and acquaintances over a period of several years, and then one day you decide to go on a cruise with him? Does that make sense?
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855446)
Posted by Sunstar on January 28th, 2017 @ 1:57pm CST
1984forever wrote:15)snippity a lot of negativity

I would say, if you could do a better story arc then please, do so. You have a right to your opinion though. I just feel if you can write or draw it better, then do so. Lots of people do their own comics these days.

I found this actually quite refreshing from the norm.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #3 and #5 Variant Covers (1855448)
Posted by Deadput on January 28th, 2017 @ 1:59pm CST
1984forever wrote:15) What's so interesting about peace time? It's been done already. G1 season 3 ended the war, and it wasn't that great then either.

12) Chromedome and Rewind = canon slashfic.

7) We didn't get enough of the Scavengers either.

6) Characters are too chatty.

15: Because consent war without end is also boring honestly most of the things done after the war are more interesting then the war itself which at this point was boring.

12: It's not even anything like slash dude the most they have done is held hands and sit beside each other and honestly their a better developed couple then the Autobot Girlfriends from season 2 of the G1 cartoon.

11: What kind of a compliant even is this what does it have to do with Mtmte is it just cause Whirl is in it? Whirl looks just as much as a Transformer as Shockwave their both one eyed robots and you seem to like Shockwave so your complaint about Whirl makes no sense and sounds like your complaining to complain I mean did you know him and Roadbuster would of been in season 2 of G1 if their toys did not originate from a different company?

10: Funny enough Bluestreak actually is in the book as a supporting character who acts like he normally would so it has nothing to do with not being able to get him.

8 and 7: Overlord and the Scavengers are not the main characters so that is why they lack screentime that and Overlord is way to powerful to keep him around so they have to get rid of him one way or another and since he was not dead he can and did return and will so again Scavengers have also been getting spotlight lately.

6: A Transformers comic book too chatty? Must be a Bayformer fan who likes it when a character only gets 2 or 3 lines a film and I remember the G1 Cartoon also being quite chatty but I thought people loved it.

Your posts and opinions are so completely odd and bizarre too me that I don't even get enraged when I see a post of yours anymore I just get confused now. (still feel compelled to reply though)

Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Bumblebee Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers SIEGE War for Cybertron Deluxe Class COG - WEAPONIZER! Complete." on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War For Cybertron SIEGE Firedrive WFC-S1" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON BATTLE MASTERS Aimless" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron SIEGE Roadhandler & Swindler WFC-S4" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Trilogy Pteraxadon Action Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Springer" on EBAY