IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su

IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su

Monday, March 6th, 2017 5:41am CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 24,050

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

As mentioned here, E.J. Su returns to IDW's Transformers comics covers, with an interlocking variant featuring both Optimus Prime and Megatron - with the latter adorning the cover of Lost Light #4. We've mirrored it below from Previews World, for your viewing convenience!

RODIMUS, MEGATRON and the exiled crew of the Lost Light realise that there's only one thing they need to do before they can resume their quest. Unfortunately, that thing is "save the world." Can the AUTOBOTS overcome the odds and save the day? To be honest, probably not.


Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su

Credit(s): Previews World


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1864736)
Posted by BumbIebee on March 6th, 2017 @ 1:57pm CST
Infiltration references; nice! :lol:
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1864884)
Posted by Big Grim on March 7th, 2017 @ 5:23am CST
That is a nice updated look there. The fella seems to have come on leaps and bounds in the god knows how many years IDW TF comics have been on the go now.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1864890)
Posted by Kurona on March 7th, 2017 @ 5:41am CST
His art was pretty great for the time and the sort of book the Furman era was and it's nice to see he's only improved.

Only real problem is how the cover looks without the context of the other ongoing. Prime's arm just coming out of nowhere off-screen with the express intent of choking Megsy :lol:

Big Grim wrote:That is a nice updated look there. The fella seems to have come on leaps and bounds in the god knows how many years IDW TF comics have been on the go now.

Over 10 years. It makes me really happy to know that IDW just beats out the movies as the longest ongoing, active fiction the franchise has ever had, even if that does include AHM and the Costa era.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1864894)
Posted by Big Grim on March 7th, 2017 @ 6:59am CST
Kurona wrote:Over 10 years. It makes me really happy to know that IDW just beats out the movies as the longest ongoing, active fiction the franchise has ever had, even if that does include AHM and the Costa era.

Over 10 years. Good grief Charlie Brown. I know I'm getting old but that is kinda nuts! (Peanuts?)

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the IDW Vs Movie ongoing record. Not all of it has been great but in my opinion, with the three ongoings we have now, we really are in something of a Golden Age of TF comics.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1864895)
Posted by Kurona on March 7th, 2017 @ 7:10am CST
Big Grim wrote:
Kurona wrote:Over 10 years. It makes me really happy to know that IDW just beats out the movies as the longest ongoing, active fiction the franchise has ever had, even if that does include AHM and the Costa era.

Over 10 years. Good grief Charlie Brown. I know I'm getting old but that is kinda nuts! (Peanuts?)

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the IDW Vs Movie ongoing record. Not all of it has been great but in my opinion, with the three ongoings we have now, we really are in something of a Golden Age of TF comics.

Definitely. I know a lot of people'll disagree; but in my opinion, DOOP-onwards IDW is the apex of Transformers fiction. It's certainly had some bumps - especially the crossovers; dear lord Revolution - but I simply find modern IDW the best Transformers has ever been. And hey, doesn't hurt that Furman gave the continuity a solid foundation for the most part.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1864911)
Posted by Va'al on March 7th, 2017 @ 7:53am CST
Kurona wrote:
Big Grim wrote:
Kurona wrote:Over 10 years. It makes me really happy to know that IDW just beats out the movies as the longest ongoing, active fiction the franchise has ever had, even if that does include AHM and the Costa era.

Over 10 years. Good grief Charlie Brown. I know I'm getting old but that is kinda nuts! (Peanuts?)

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the IDW Vs Movie ongoing record. Not all of it has been great but in my opinion, with the three ongoings we have now, we really are in something of a Golden Age of TF comics.

Definitely. I know a lot of people'll disagree; but in my opinion, DOOP-onwards IDW is the apex of Transformers fiction. It's certainly had some bumps - especially the crossovers; dear lord Revolution - but I simply find modern IDW the best Transformers has ever been. And hey, doesn't hurt that Furman gave the continuity a solid foundation for the most part.



Y'know, I need to get back to that Revisit-ation piece I started years ago.. :-?
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1864912)
Posted by Big Grim on March 7th, 2017 @ 7:54am CST
Kurona wrote:Definitely. I know a lot of people'll disagree; but in my opinion, DOOP-onwards IDW is the apex of Transformers fiction. It's certainly had some bumps - especially the crossovers; dear lord Revolution - but I simply find modern IDW the best Transformers has ever been. And hey, doesn't hurt that Furman gave the continuity a solid foundation for the most part.

Again, 100% agree. Speedbumps would certainly be Revolution (what a mess.) and Dark Cybertron but on average there's even been good bits in those. MTMTE Revolution was a glorious piece of work! So good! I admit MTMTE (now Lost Light) is my fave outta the three ongoings but I'm surprised to say I think that TAAO has edged out RID/OP for second place. It's been great since the Bruticus arc and only been getting better!
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1865090)
Posted by WreckerJack on March 7th, 2017 @ 10:58pm CST
I didn't care much for Dark Cybertron either. I only read the part that was included in MTMTE and it put me to sleep. There were some good moments though.

Speaking of movies, it would be amazing if we could have a TF movie based on the comics much like the marvel movies. Dunno how possible that would be without them getting messed up though.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1865663)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on March 10th, 2017 @ 10:37pm CST
In case anyone wanted to see what the co-captains looked like with their heads on wrong
Image
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1867379)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on March 17th, 2017 @ 3:16pm CDT
iBooks is at it again, this time giving us a 3 page sneak peek at Lost Light #4! The issue picks up with Rodimus and company taking a peek at a newly returned Luna-2 that appears to be doing some weird stuff while Megatron plans a Rung rescue mission. Meanwhile, back at Necroworld, Cyclonus and Whirl try desperately to survive the wrath of Killmaster! Check out the preview below!

RODIMUS, MEGATRON and the exiled crew of the Lost Light realise that there's only one thing they need to do before they can resume their quest. Unfortunately, that thing is "save the world." Can the AUTOBOTS overcome the odds and save the day? To be honest, probably not.


Image

Image

Image
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1867425)
Posted by Quint on March 17th, 2017 @ 6:52pm CDT
Megatron is suddenly deferring to Rodimus now? Odd choice of character interaction, especially as it's just to explain the plot here.

Or is this too pedantic? I don't know anymore. Finding choices by the author to quibble at, despite him being the very person who reignited my interest in this world, seems to be my primary concern since 'season 2' started.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1867447)
Posted by SureShot18 on March 17th, 2017 @ 8:21pm CDT
Is it just me or do the panels with Cybertron look rather Unicron-y? I may just be listening to Scotty too much.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1867469)
Posted by ebo716 on March 17th, 2017 @ 9:35pm CDT
SureShot18 wrote:Is it just me or do the panels with Cybertron look rather Unicron-y? I may just be listening to Scotty too much.

Luna 2 also kinda sorta almost looks like Cybertron Primus albeit without the ten billion guns mounted on him
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1869258)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on March 25th, 2017 @ 3:19pm CDT
Comic Vine has updated with the full preview for Transformers: Lost Light! The issue appears to focus in on Whirl and Cyclonus, as well as what the heck is going on with Rung. Check out the full preview below!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1869338)
Posted by ebo716 on March 25th, 2017 @ 9:05pm CDT
I kind of want the next issues title to be the name of another CCR song although looking at the other titles this issue just seems to be named for no other reason than the stuff happening with the moon ( which I kind of want to be unicron)
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1869467)
Posted by ricemazter on March 26th, 2017 @ 3:44pm CDT
So far, I'm enjoying this series, but not nearly as much as MTMTE. I think part of it is that every single character has something going wrong with them that isn't related to the current plot. It makes me role my eyes that something else is being introduced in what seems like every other panel.

While the mutiny and main quest are hanging over our heads, we're trapped in the functionist universe. At the same time, there's Anode, who has her dark past exposed by Velocity, which is actually just a cover for her real dark secret. Skids death has caused some of our characters to turn to drugs. But never mind that, Killmaster's back, and he might have killed Swerve and Ten. Except, no, they've just been transported somewhere else entirely. Then, Tailgaite's going nuts somewhere in the background, causing him to mutilate Cyclonus. It's all so exhausting.

Also, I have to wonder, how it is that Killmaster's arm is even able to be cut off by a sword. Aren't the Warriors Elite supposed to have unutrium coated endo-skeletons, making them virtually indestructible? Overlord was exploded from the inside out and later blasted with an asteroid shattering laser. He was left largely intact.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1870156)
Posted by ScottyP on March 29th, 2017 @ 6:21am CDT
Do Go 'Round Tonight
A Review of Transformers: Lost Light #4

As spoiler-free as I can make it. Probably. I tried.
Image
The next mission begins!

The latest chapter of the massive, sweeping Transformers ongoing comics arrive this week, with two very different stories gracing shelves. One is Till All Are One #8, which judging from sales numbers is the best Transformers comic that Transformers fans don't read and you should feel bad about that. The other is the subject of this review, Lost Light #4. We're in the middle of a story arc that's six issues deep, and now we're past the halfway point. How are things shaping up with our heroes scattered about and in various states of misadventure?

Image
The light begins to shine

Simultaneously, situations improve and decline across the three main plots of this issue. There's "Team Rodimus", stranded on Functionist Cybertron to take up one of these main plot lines, and with the agonizing cliffhanger of issue 3 get ready for, well, another cliffhanger. It's in the best of ways though if I'm honest about it. Anyone that watches Game of Thrones knows that sometimes an ending that leaves you unsatisfied for now, where you want to know more and see more and figure out what might happen next, can be a good ending. It means that you're wrapped up in something compelling, and when the attention of the book turns to this plot my eyes are glued to the page in anticipation and wonderment.

Image
Behold: Super close-cropping to avoid a spoiler

Back on Necroworld, which may or may not be in the "main" universe of the Transformers and Hasbro Universe books, there are two plot threads running through this issue. One of them is action packed and oozing with plot progression and character moments, and that's the one featuring Cyclonus, Whirl, Tailgate, and a recently awakened nemesis in Killmaster. This also ends on a cliffhanger - a good, effective one that leaves me wanting to read more. While it's not certain, it definitely seems that things aren't going to end well here, but then again, Cyclonus told us so in February of 2012 in the pages of More Than Meets The Eye #2, didn't he?

Image
Why are dad and dad fighting?

Then there's the argument in my head over whether or not the argument above really needed to happen here. After taking time and pursuing a more thoughtful analysis, it does. The visual storytelling in surrounding panels justifies the space, not to mention it makes sense for the characters involved. It progresses some long running plots in various ways, and is called back to effectively later in the issue.

Then there's the third small plot that's moved along in this issue, involving Anode and Lug. I've been a defender of these characters' inclusion and development for this arc, but their purpose is now fuzzy whereas it didn't feel that way earlier. The additional backstory is nice, and building up new characters is great, but something about the three pages given to these two newer arrivals missed the mark. The point is clear, the event that happened to end the scene is sure to be relevant later, and there is genuine purpose to all the words. None of that's really critical, of course, so what gives? It certainly wasn't the visuals, which were handled wonderfully by Jack Lawrence and Joana Lafuente's always sublime Necroworld color palette.

Image

What it may be is a very purposeful usage of too many words. If you look at the roughly one-third of a page shown above, it doesn't have many words by the end, yet so much is said. The "new" Megatron, defined.

Were Lug's actions supposed to be ours?

Image
The Last Action Master

Aside from the already mentioned Lawrence and Lafuente, there's the return of Tom B. Long on letter work. As usual, Long's work is fantastic and I don't have enough superlatives to describe it. Nick Roche and Josh Burcham again provide an outstanding cover fitting thematically with their other variant covers from the series so far, but a special mention needs to go to Alex Milne and Josh Perez's cover featuring Megatron and Terminus. This right here is frame-worthy.

As always, you can find full credits and covers in our database entry for Lost Light #4, along with a list of characters that appear in the issue (sometimes pretty early on release day depending on my alarm clock) so do be aware of possible spoilers.

Verdict
Image

Scores don't feel fair to big multi-part works. The more this goes on, the more it's clearly intended to be read all together as a six issue story. To be fair, Mr. Roberts has more-or-less directly pointed this out, or that's at least how I took it. That element holds this issue back a bit, but only a bit. Be sure to pick this one up and head back here to speculate about the future here on our forums by replying to this post.

. :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: out of :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON:


Bonus! James Roberts' soundtrack suggestions for this issue:
  • Nils Frahm - "You"
  • The New Pornographers - "The Bleeding Heart"
  • Interpol - "Next Exit (Stay)"

Encore Bonus! Uniclock Update:
I'm going to be reviewing this series for the site for a while, and some of you can guess why this is. I'm moving our Lost Light/Hasbro Comics Universe Doomsday Clock, the Uniclock, ahead one minute. After reading the issue you may think this is a bit over-conservative, but at least for right now, well, in John Barber I'll choose to trust and assume the slow burn will remain slow for awhile longer as stated in the linked Twincast interview with him. We'll see how long though. Another issue with this many signs and it's going to start to look like we'll find out the answer to the question "Where do you go?"

Image
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1870157)
Posted by Randomhero on March 29th, 2017 @ 6:33am CDT
I love the watchmen clock but this is not the series for it. What just happened in TAAO justifies a doomsday clock even more because HOLY SH**!!!

I really enjoyed the issue a lot. It has some positives, some negatives. The art is lovely, I think both stories are very interesting sadly it's waaaaaaay too talky even for Roberts. Especially since some of the conversations have happened in previous issues and entire pages are spent revealing something 1. People have already figured out or 2. Just didn't need an entire page to relay. Seriously the Megatron/Rodimus argument is almost 2 full pages and is something we've already read once or twice.

Again, not all bad but for me the bads are pretty heavy when they come on.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1870162)
Posted by ScottyP on March 29th, 2017 @ 7:33am CDT
Randomhero wrote:I love the watchmen clock but this is not the series for it. What just happened in TAAO justifies a doomsday clock even more because HOLY SH**!!!

I really enjoyed the issue a lot. It has some positives, some negatives. The art is lovely, I think both stories are very interesting sadly it's waaaaaaay too talky even for Roberts. Especially since some of the conversations have happened in previous issues and entire pages are spent revealing something 1. People have already figured out or 2. Just didn't need an entire page to relay. Seriously the Megatron/Rodimus argument is almost 2 full pages and is something we've already read once or twice.

Again, not all bad but for me the bads are pretty heavy when they come on.
Liege Maximo is one of the big reasons I moved that thing up despite what Barber told me. The stuff in this issue of LL could just be foreshadowing/tongue in cheek, though that also seems unlikely.

I was of the same mind on the Megs/Rodimus scuffle over the weekend (when we get our review copies) but after a couple other slow, careful re-reads I changed my tune. The point, to me, was that they're taking way too much time they don't have for a silly repetitive argument, and the slow build of the blue light around them gives that sense of "hey, HEY dudes, stop!" If you imagine it as a TV scene maybe it works better?

Alternately, I talked myself into liking it. :)
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #4 Variant Cover by E.J. Su (1870163)
Posted by Randomhero on March 29th, 2017 @ 7:49am CDT
ScottyP wrote:
Randomhero wrote:I love the watchmen clock but this is not the series for it. What just happened in TAAO justifies a doomsday clock even more because HOLY SH**!!!

I really enjoyed the issue a lot. It has some positives, some negatives. The art is lovely, I think both stories are very interesting sadly it's waaaaaaay too talky even for Roberts. Especially since some of the conversations have happened in previous issues and entire pages are spent revealing something 1. People have already figured out or 2. Just didn't need an entire page to relay. Seriously the Megatron/Rodimus argument is almost 2 full pages and is something we've already read once or twice.

Again, not all bad but for me the bads are pretty heavy when they come on.
Liege Maximo is one of the big reasons I moved that thing up despite what Barber told me. The stuff in this issue of LL could just be foreshadowing/tongue in cheek, though that also seems unlikely.

I was of the same mind on the Megs/Rodimus scuffle over the weekend (when we get our review copies) but after a couple other slow, careful re-reads I changed my tune. The point, to me, was that they're taking way too much time they don't have for a silly repetitive argument, and the slow build of the blue light around them gives that sense of "hey, HEY dudes, stop!" If you imagine it as a TV scene maybe it works better?

Alternately, I talked myself into liking it. :)


I get that with the clock. Threw me off with being on here

I didn't hate the conversation, it just went on way too long and just said stuff megs has already been accused of and everything.

Still confused lug

I guess she was the spark that died and Anode created her in her mind out of guilt but man if that's it okay but , it's not very original especially since we have that relationship with starscream and bumblebee in TAAO and it's been done way better in other comic books.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 8 Newman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 05 Voyager Class Movie 2 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Battle Core Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
Twincast / Podcast #289:
"No Thanks Given"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Titan Scorponok MISB in stock now" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon New In Box MISB" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Generations TITANS RETURN Leader Class DECEPTICON OVERLORD" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Autobot HOT ROD & Firedrive Deluxe Class - BRAND NEW!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dinobot Adventures Dinobot Squad Grimlock Dinobot Snarl and Pred..." on EBAY
Buy "SLUG Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Deluxe Dinobot Hasbro 2021 New" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Unite Warriors UW-08 COMPUTRON w/ Perf. Effect Upgrade & Coll. Coin" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Titans Return Decepticon Overlord Loose Complete" on EBAY