IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim

IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim

Saturday, April 15th, 2017 6:12am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 20,726

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

We have another variant cover for IDW Publishing's Transformers: Lost Light #5, in addition to the Milne/Perez and Roche/Burcham ones, thanks again to PreviewsWorld - take a look below at the Jin Kim art featuring Ultra Magnus, Nautica and Drift, with a floating Rodimus head in the background!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim

Credit(s): PreviewsWorld


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1874610)
Posted by Sebfolgero on April 15th, 2017 @ 6:19am CDT
Speaking of comics, I just found combiner wars revised wave 6 on the pegs in Norway with the Idw comics. Last time I looked in the store there was almost no figures left but now there was a ton all on sale with comics
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1874622)
Posted by Kurona on April 15th, 2017 @ 8:58am CDT
I want to frame this and hang it up somewhere. Beautiful art featuring some of the best characters :)
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877496)
Posted by Kurona on April 26th, 2017 @ 5:36pm CDT
Straight from his Twitter account, comic writer James Roberts has tweeted a couple of panels featuring Nightbeat and Rung from the fifth issue of Lost Light, due for release next month. Check out the little snippet of character development below and tell us what you think in the forums!

Image
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877526)
Posted by Kurona on April 26th, 2017 @ 7:31pm CDT
As it turns out, not long after James Roberts tweeted two panels of the comic, the preview of Lost Light's fifth issue has been put up on itunes! Have a look below and tell us what you think in the forums.

Image

Image

Image
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877529)
Posted by Randomhero on April 26th, 2017 @ 7:40pm CDT
I hate to say it but I've lost so much interest in this series. Mtmte is a series I've always had a love/hate relationship with but with where it's gone and where it's going with this story I've just become "oh yeah we haven't gotten an issue this month" or "well there's an issue coming out. I grab it when I'm free" I wish I could be more excited but I'm just not anymore.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877537)
Posted by Kurona on April 26th, 2017 @ 8:03pm CDT
I must admit - and since this is my favourite series and it's had such a big impact on my life, this is hard to admit - the current arc has been a bit weak, unfocused and all over the place imo. Things seem to happen without any lead-in, we jump from point to point without any time devoted to a subject and it's been a little hard to follow. It's not terrible per se, it's still a fine plot and certain things like Anode and the geo-bomb (and Brainstorm squealing!!) shine through to me, but it's not quite up to par as MTMTE was.

However... that said, while this doesn't excuse everything, I'm kinda putting this down to forced editorial mandates. It just so happens that a plot that's... well, as I just described; arguably a drop in quality, happens right when they're forced to restart the numbering, essentially tasked with bringing in new readership and the creative team is reshuffled? I'm not familiar with how everything works, but I don't think this was a good thing for the comic and I think if we'd gotten MTMTE #58 instead of LL #1, things would have been different. That's why I've been a bit easier on this than I really should be; maybe it's me being a bit too optimistic or biased, but I can't look at the negatives of the comic recently, compare it to how incredible MTMTE was and not look towards the editorial mandates.

Also, Nightbeat and Rung. That's reeling me back in as that little talk between them is looking very interesting and Nightbeat's showing his nicer side.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877542)
Posted by Randomhero on April 26th, 2017 @ 8:31pm CDT
The renumbering and renaming doesn't bother me. I've been reading comics since I was 6 and it's something you have to just get adjusted to. This wasnt batman or Spider-Man getting in the 700s and 800s and going back it issue one, it was issue 56 and then changing. Wasn't that big of a deal.

My biggest issue has always been and will always be unless it changes is that Roberts writes this like a television show and not a comic book and those are two very different medias. The structure is an utter mess at times. The ideas and characterization have always been its strengths where as it's structure has always been something to be desired. I'm not going to go as far as some and accuse James of writing knock off red dwarf fan fiction but it's hard not to see it. I've talked to James, he's a great guy but I wish he'd work on his storytelling and grow from it instead of making tongue and cheek remarks from characters in the book like hes done a bit whenever "community" was referenced.

I used to get furious for so long at this series because it never does anything with the quest and I finally gave up by season 2 because there wasn't a single issue in those 2 and half years that actually had any form of progress with the quest. They got a map halfway but we had to have more deviations. James said with lost light he's making the quest priority. Now we know for the next few months thanks to solicits and probably for the rest of the year we will be in functionalist universe and all I can do is toss my hands in the air and ask "well why did you even say that James?"

He said it a few times in interviews and podcasts by the way.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877561)
Posted by ScottyP on April 26th, 2017 @ 9:47pm CDT
Primus bless, this fandom turned on this book faster than it took to type this sentence.

I loved everything in those three pages and just cannot wait for more. Y'all go have your 'We want Milne and plot resolution' pity party, I'll be over here with my robot pals enjoying the ride :POPCORN:
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877571)
Posted by bodrock on April 26th, 2017 @ 11:00pm CDT
I miss Milne's art, no doubt, but I'm also enjoying the ride! I'm sure Roddy will get his ship back and they'll be back on track....eventually. :BOT:
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877601)
Posted by Kurona on April 27th, 2017 @ 5:36am CDT
I actually really like the art myself. I still prefer Milne and think he's a better fit, but it's not like Lawrence is a slouch or anything; he's a fantastic artist and in my opinion he works well for the comic.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877606)
Posted by Randomhero on April 27th, 2017 @ 6:09am CDT
I too like jacks art. It's very Early 2000s Nick Roche meets Guido Guidi. It's got that classic looks with a little exaggerated proportions.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877613)
Posted by Big Grim on April 27th, 2017 @ 7:24am CDT
ScottyP wrote:I loved everything in those three pages and just cannot wait for more. Y'all go have your 'We want Milne and plot resolution' pity party, I'll be over here with my robot pals enjoying the ride :POPCORN:

I'm with you Scotty. I'm having a blast with Lost Light and will continue to enjoy it.

Kurona wrote:I actually really like the art myself. I still prefer Milne and think he's a better fit, but it's not like Lawrence is a slouch or anything; he's a fantastic artist and in my opinion he works well for the comic.

Pretty much exactly how I feel too. Lawrence is doing a great job in my opinion.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877620)
Posted by Randomhero on April 27th, 2017 @ 8:37am CDT
Is Alex not returning at all? I know he's doing that miniseries with John and Josh Perez but wasn't Alex suppose to return for the next arc and then Jack would do the one after?
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877654)
Posted by ScottyP on April 27th, 2017 @ 11:28am CDT
Randomhero wrote:Is Alex not returning at all? I know he's doing that miniseries with John and Josh Perez but wasn't Alex suppose to return for the next arc and then Jack would do the one after?
That may indeed have been the initial plan (or it was smoke and mirrors for PR reasons, who knows) but with Milne on ROM vs TF it's a safe bet this plan has changed. Until further notice I'm operating under the assumption that Lawrence is to Lost Light as Pitre-Durocher is to TAAO and as Zama is to OP.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877768)
Posted by ricemazter on April 27th, 2017 @ 3:50pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:The renumbering and renaming doesn't bother me. I've been reading comics since I was 6 and it's something you have to just get adjusted to. This wasnt batman or Spider-Man getting in the 700s and 800s and going back it issue one, it was issue 56 and then changing. Wasn't that big of a deal.

My biggest issue has always been and will always be unless it changes is that Roberts writes this like a television show and not a comic book and those are two very different medias. The structure is an utter mess at times. The ideas and characterization have always been its strengths where as it's structure has always been something to be desired. I'm not going to go as far as some and accuse James of writing knock off red dwarf fan fiction but it's hard not to see it. I've talked to James, he's a great guy but I wish he'd work on his storytelling and grow from it instead of making tongue and cheek remarks from characters in the book like hes done a bit whenever "community" was referenced.

I used to get furious for so long at this series because it never does anything with the quest and I finally gave up by season 2 because there wasn't a single issue in those 2 and half years that actually had any form of progress with the quest. They got a map halfway but we had to have more deviations. James said with lost light he's making the quest priority. Now we know for the next few months thanks to solicits and probably for the rest of the year we will be in functionalist universe and all I can do is toss my hands in the air and ask "well why did you even say that James?"

He said it a few times in interviews and podcasts by the way.


That's interesting because I seems to me he has started writing things more like a comic, just not in a good way. One of the best things about Roberts' writing in the early MTMTE was that it was episodic, so we would get a more or less complete mini story in one or two issues, unlike other modern series where every single issue would end on a vital to the current plot cliffhanger. At the same time, each episode would lead into the next more or less, like when the fall out from Fort Max's therapy session lead into the next issue or the lead into the spark eater story.

It was annoying that the whole quest thing was a loose framework to hang the story on, but as long as the individual episodes were decent I could deal with it. Ever since season 1 ended, however, plots have gradually gotten more drawn out in some areas and severely truncated in others, and in some cases the payoff for the episodic stories don't have immediate consequences until a few issues later. For instance, the way I saw it, the episode with Froid and Sunder's main point was Skids' memories which doesn't come into play until the ending bits of Dying int the Light. This makes the lack of quest progress even more noticeable in the grand scheme of the series.

Now, as of LL, we're in full comic mode. Where the Functionist universe plot seems to be going on for 6 issues, and has almost nothing to do with the main threads introduced in the last series. Meanwhile, in just these 4 issues of LL, we've gotten so many new plot points to deal with, and it's infuriating that none of them are related to the quest or the Lost Light Mutiny, imo one of the most interesting things that happened in the last season.

To count every new thing that's been introduced, trapped in the Functionist universe, embroiled in the conflict of said universe, possible addiction to mood altering drugs for several characters, tailgate going nuts, whatever is going on with Anode, swerve and ten displaced to somewhere else entirely, future visions of pharma doing something. It's super exhausting.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877769)
Posted by Kurona on April 27th, 2017 @ 3:53pm CDT
In what is a rather strange turn of events, the preview pages of Lost Light #5 posted before were not pages 1 through 3; but in fact pages 2 through 4. For reasons not quite clear - possibly an uploading error on iTunes' part - only pages 2 through 4 appear on iTunes' website without Page 1. However, Twitter user Lucrecia Souviron reports that when she downloaded the preview to her iPod, page 1 showed up. While we'll try to get a clearer image later, enjoy Lucrecia's screenshot of the true Lost Light #5 Page 1 below - which notably includes the two panels James Roberts had previously tweeted - along with the three pages previously newsed and tell us what you think of this strange turn of events in the forums.

Image

Image

Image

Image
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877771)
Posted by Kurona on April 27th, 2017 @ 3:56pm CDT
So, uh, yeah; this is weird.

I did kind of have my doubts before - Nightbeat and Rung's conversation having no lead-in especially with James Roberts' tweet; Rodimus being electrocuted seeming an odd way to start the issue for reasons I can't quite explain - but I didn't quite expect this. Mistakes happen I suppose; nice to see that the issue is built much more competently than I previously thought. All my previous criticisms - at least in regards to this particular issue - go out the window :)
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877798)
Posted by Deadput on April 27th, 2017 @ 5:31pm CDT
When is Lost Light actually going to go back to the Lost Light?

Probably going to take 10 years to finally reach the knights at this pace.

Will Rodimus actually grow up and will we get character's who don't joke in every other line?

Are we getting Milne back you know an actually good artist?
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877799)
Posted by Kurona on April 27th, 2017 @ 5:35pm CDT
Deadput wrote:When is Lost Light actually going to go back to the Lost Light?

Probably going to take 10 years to finally reach the knights at this pace.

Will Rodimus actually grow up and will we get character's who don't joke in every other line?

Are we getting Milne back you know an actually good artist?

We're going back to look at the Lost Light in a few issues as confirmed by Roberts, Rodimus' character is actually growing and Lawrence is a fine artist. I can understand why many feel his art style doesn't fit the book (a lot of people have said it's a bit too cartoony for the tone of the comic; I disagree with it myself but the criticism does make sense) and I can certainly understand preferring Milne for the comic, but in what way is Lawrence's art bad? Because personally I'm seeing some gorgeous lineart. Well, gorgeous lineart a little obscured by the image quality because iTunes previews do that for some reason; but gorgeous lineart nonetheless.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim (1877823)
Posted by SG Roadbuster on April 27th, 2017 @ 6:53pm CDT
Kurona wrote:
Deadput wrote:When is Lost Light actually going to go back to the Lost Light?

Probably going to take 10 years to finally reach the knights at this pace.

Will Rodimus actually grow up and will we get character's who don't joke in every other line?

Are we getting Milne back you know an actually good artist?

We're going back to look at the Lost Light in a few issues as confirmed by Roberts, Rodimus' character is actually growing and Lawrence is a fine artist. I can understand why many feel his art style doesn't fit the book (a lot of people have said it's a bit too cartoony for the tone of the comic; I disagree with it myself but the criticism does make sense) and I can certainly understand preferring Milne for the comic, but in what way is Lawrence's art bad? Because personally I'm seeing some gorgeous lineart. Well, gorgeous lineart a little obscured by the image quality because iTunes previews do that for some reason; but gorgeous lineart nonetheless.


could be worse, idw could be letting Livio Ramondelli ruin this book, the way he's ruined so many others.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Vector Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Protectobot Blades Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Tra Rid Warrior Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
Twincast / Podcast #289:
"No Thanks Given"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS FALL OF CYBERTRON BLASTER AND STEELJAW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers generations Fall Of Cybertron Shockwave" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Deluxe Class Decepticon Starscream New" on EBAY
Buy "2013 SDCC Hasbro Exclusive: TRANSFORMERS VS GI JOE Jetfire" on EBAY
Buy "SOUNDBLASTER Transformers Generations Fall of Cybertron Voyager Figure 2012" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Fall of Cybertron OPTIMUS PRIME Deluxe Class, New/Sealed (2011)" on EBAY
Buy "2007 SDCC Exclusive Transformers Alternators Ford GT Rodimus MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Buzzworthy Clunker Bumblebee 27BB vs Barricade 28BB Studio Series" on EBAY