Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19

Friday, March 2nd, 2018 9:41AM CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal   Views: 12,546

Thanks to a heads up from the Author of Transformers: Lost Light himself, we have news that, despite the rumors of an IDW reboot coming, Lost Light will be running to at least issue 25. James Roberts himself confirmed this on his Twitter page, saying that Issues 19-25 will be the culmination of the More Than Meets The Eye and Lost Light series. For those keeping track, with issue 15 having come out this past month (February) and the recent Solicitations showing that issue 18 is set to come in May, this means Lost Light will be running till December, when issue 25 will be coming out. What this means for next calendar year and IDW comics we don't yet know, but it appears that no reboot will be happening this calendar year.

Also confirmed from Roberts on Twitter, we have news that Issue 19 of the series, set to come out in June, will feature the original IDW artist, EJ Su, on line work! Since doing the linework for the early -ations era of comics, and with some work in All Hail Megatron, Spotlights Prowl and Jazz, and some recent covers, this will be EJ's first issue of linework since 2010.

Are you excited for Lost Light to be going to issue 25? Thrilled to have EJ Su back on art duties for a Transformers comic? Let us know in the comments section below!

Credit(s): James Roberts via Twitter

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943343)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on March 2nd, 2018 @ 9:42am CST
Also, I promise the review will be coming! Paperwork and apartment hunting has taken a lot of time away from me this week!
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943350)
Posted by ScottyP on March 2nd, 2018 @ 10:05am CST
This is good news indeed. Here's hoping whatever follows is Lost Light 26, MTMTE 83, or something more-or-less equivalent!
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943354)
Posted by Randomhero on March 2nd, 2018 @ 10:15am CST
I care more to see EJ Su than anything else. I have missed his work for a long time. When he did some cover are during dark Cybertron and last year I was thrilled.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943364)
Posted by Nexus Knight on March 2nd, 2018 @ 11:50am CST
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:For those keeping track, with issue 15 having come out this past month (February) and the recent Solicitations showing that issue 18 is set to come in May, this means Lost Light will be running till December, when issue 25 will be coming out.

:lol: That's a nice assumption, thinking IDW will be able to keep to its infamously bad scheduling.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943366)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on March 2nd, 2018 @ 11:54am CST

I'm guessing that the Unicron arc will go from 19 to 25, making up the final trade. Hopefully after this book is done, Roberts hands it off to someone else, someone who can write comics like comics and not like TV series. Maybe he should go and try to write actual TV series if he likes that style so much.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943367)
Posted by Randomhero on March 2nd, 2018 @ 11:56am CST
Nexus Knight wrote:

They’re already back in schedule and it’s not just IDWs fault. MTMTE got delayed quite a bit sometimes and Milne took full responsibility. When he found out he wasn’t on LL he fully admitted he couldn’t keep up. A lot of the times it is the artist or the writer.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943380)
Posted by ZeroWolf on March 2nd, 2018 @ 2:02pm CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:I kinda figured that's where it was going to stop. It's a nice round number, it's the end of the year, and it gives us 82 issues, just about the same as the G1 comics.

I think after the event we'll just have two separate ongoing support with different casts.

Though why do you say he's more of a TV writer? Is it just because his stuff works better when binged?
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943394)
Posted by Randomhero on March 2nd, 2018 @ 3:32pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:

No it’s because he just does. That’s been a statement by people for years now that Roberts writes like he’s writing a TV show. The two part about charisma aliens? That’s straight out of Red Dwarf. Some(not me) even accused him of ripping off red dwarf and other British shows. Swearth is a straight up episode of a show. Tailgate and Cyclonus are literally hanging out in the “friends” apartment. There’s numerous jokes and references to Community too.

Roberts himself refers to post dark Cybertron to dying of the light as Season Two and LL as season three. No one does that with comics.

He’s always treated his comics as if they’re TV shows and that’s kind of always been a big problem I’ve had with his writing because those are two very different medias. Sometimes it works and other times it just fails like cutting back and forth between Rung and Functionist Rung both explaining and discovering their purpose at the same time. That’s how TV works not comics.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943395)
Posted by Randomhero on March 2nd, 2018 @ 3:34pm CST

I’m gonna call it now and say LL will have nothing to do with unicron. 19-25 will be Rodomus, getaway and the scavengers with maybe Fort Max and Red Alert all coming together to Cyberutpia and concluding that story.

I think we’ll go back to one comic. I think we need to at this point but with both John and James. Like Dark Cybertron. John does story and James does the characters. It’s their strengths. Death of Optimus Prime is one the best comics we’ve gotten and it’s beciase it played on both their strengths
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943396)
Posted by o.supreme on March 2nd, 2018 @ 3:35pm CST
Interesting and cautiously optimistic news that LL will be going through #25. I assume then that OP will go through (by the same token) to issue #26. If they both end in December 2018 culminating in the end of the Unicron event I'll be satisfied. January 2019 would be a nice even place to start again, unlike the summer/fall of 2016 when they abruptly ended MTMTE & TF (and cut what could have been a really cool Titans Return story way short...) to start the whole mess that is the Hasbroverse.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943405)
Posted by ZeroWolf on March 2nd, 2018 @ 5:11pm CST
Randomhero wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:

Ah I see, though I'm a little confused as to why that's a bad thing, like the example you give, what's so wrong with that? It's something that plays with visuals (like the scene where night beat and nautica are looking into brainstorms suitcase and time gets a lil weird.) It seems more to me that roberts adopts more of a comedy approach which again, I feel is fine as there shouldn't be anything you can't attempt with comics.

I also don't see the problem with borrowing TV lingo for story arcs as comics have always had things like: whatever event: part 2 of 6. I'd he wants to call a bunch of story arcs a season then that's fine, can't see why it would cause a fuss.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943425)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on March 2nd, 2018 @ 10:16pm CST
I picked up #14 & #15 today and there is a definite difference in paper quality between the 2 issues. Probably that cost saving move helped extend it.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943441)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on March 2nd, 2018 @ 11:47pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:
Randomhero wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:

The main reason I said that was because Roberts himself practically admitted it, and because the pacing of his writing is like a TV show. The stories wouldn't be so bad if he would keep a steady pace of setting things up and then delivering on them, and not just leave details and story lines seemingly unfinished and then expect us to remember everything when he suddenly comes back to some small detail 6 months later. It's the erratic pacing (or plotting, whichever is more appropriate) that annoys me the most. For this reason, his stories are better when binged. This is why I don't like reading the individual issues, just get the trades when a story arc is over. Most of MTMTE's stories were pretty good reads when I read them as a whole, except the last 2. Dying of the Light was such a disappointment, and it couldn't even be blamed on horrible pacing, it was just a bad ending to what promised to be a great story. I reserve full judgment on LL until it is actually over and I read the whole thing from issue 1 to 25. So far I'm not impressed, but who knows, it could get good. The last 2 issues were an improvement over the previous 6 or 7. So we'll see. Again, that's what I mean about pacing. So uneven. Just exposes the flaws of Roberts' writing even more.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943502)
Posted by Galactic Prime on March 3rd, 2018 @ 10:57am CST
Good, I hope this entire comic series burns in hell, it's been terrible from start to finish.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943510)
Posted by ZeroWolf on March 3rd, 2018 @ 12:09pm CST
Then why did you read it for so long? Normally if something doesn't click with me after three-four issues we part ways.
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943573)
Posted by ScottyP on March 3rd, 2018 @ 3:46pm CST
From the usual source of iTunes, the first three pages of Transformers: Lost Light #16 are now available. This quick preview is light on the dialogue, but heavy on the mystery and intrigue. The start of a three part story titled "The Everlasting Voices", the first entry is titled "Metastasis". With the end of #15 teasing with the word "threnody", the signs are there that surely everything will go just fine with a perfectly happy ending for everyone's favorite characters.

This latest chapter of Lost Light is set for release on March 14, 2018, making it the fourth entry of the series in just seven weeks at that point. Who knew Transformers comics had gone bi-weekly? The preview pages are mirrored below, featuring the writing of James Roberts, line art by Jack Lawrence, and colors by (presumably) Joana Lafuente.

Nothing weird about a floating Matrix of Leadership, right? Discuss these latest developments with other Transformers fans on our Energon Pub Forums by replying to this post!
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943577)
Posted by ZeroWolf on March 3rd, 2018 @ 4:03pm CST
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943630)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on March 3rd, 2018 @ 7:13pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:Interesting, now how will this tie into things. My guess is that none of them are actually there physically. Also anyone else get the feeling that Cyclonus is seeing something different?

I think he's seeing Tailgate. that's my guess
Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943635)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on March 3rd, 2018 @ 7:39pm CST
Lost Light news has been coming hard and fast as of recent! With EJ Su confirmed to do artwork, The series to run to issue 25, and Issue 16's preview, making it the potential 4th Lost Light to be released in 2 months and finally back on schedule, all revealed, we thought we couldn't get any more news.

Well, we were wrong.

Thanks once more to James Roberts Twitter page, we have 2 new pieces of news to share with you tonight. The first news is that, following the spectacular return of EJ Su to interior work, we have word that issue 20 will be handled by yet another long time Transformers artist new to the series: Casey Coller!. Coller will be the guest artist for issue 20 of the series, and we are looking forward to finally seeing him on Lost Light interiors.

The 2nd piece of news is a 1-page penciled preview of EJ Su's artwork for issue 19! Check it out below, and let us know what you think of this newest piece of Lost Light news!

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Series Running to at Least Issue 25, EJ Su to do Linework for Issue 19 (1943641)
Posted by WreckerJack on March 3rd, 2018 @ 7:56pm CST
Seems mildly interesting. Still soured after the last two issues. Might read my GF's copy to see if it redeems itself.
Transformers products from AMAZON

"Everyone Gets Counterpunched"
Posted: Sunday, September 23rd, 2018
Transformers products from EBAY

Items Ending Soon

Buy "TRANSFORMERS STUDIO SERIES 02 DELUXE CLASS STINGER FIGURE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Armada MEGATRON Tanker" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS 5 The Last Knight SDCC 2017 Optimus Prime Burning Rubber Edition" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Ultimate Class OPTIMUS PRIME Autobot NIB/Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Blackout robots in disguise movie Chinese traduction completeinbox" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Masterpiece MPM-04 Movie 10th Anniversary Optimus Prime FIGURE NEW" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Generations Titans Return Voyager Megatron Doomshot ACTION FIGURE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Predacon Predaking Rampage Razorclaw Divebomb Tantrum Headstrong" on EBAY