IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview

IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview

Friday, July 24th, 2015 1:38pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 31,686

The second preview from IDW Publishing, after Newsarama breaks the news, for the coming week's Transformers comics features the set of Friends, holomatter avatars and More Than Meets the Eye - of course, in issue 43! Read on below for a full look at what's to come, and if you're not utterly confused, head back here on Wednesday for a review.

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43
James Roberts (w) • Alex Milne (a & c)
Three years into their quest, and the crew of the Lost Light were starting to think that the universe held no more nasty surprises. And then a planet started chasing them.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
Introducing CYCLONUS’ new holomatter avatar!
The Lost Light’s quest takes its quirky heroes deep into space—outer- and personal- space!
Variant Cover by James Biggie!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview

Credit(s): IDW, Newsarama

Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1712866)
Posted by Optimizzy on July 24th, 2015 @ 1:47pm CDT
uh. MrBlack I think you guessed it. Awesome
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1712883)
Posted by MrBlack on July 24th, 2015 @ 2:28pm CDT
"Rong of the Pious Pools."

Heh.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1712887)
Posted by Shuttershock on July 24th, 2015 @ 2:36pm CDT
MrBlack wrote:"Rong of the Pious Pools."

Heh.

Yup, even the extra dimensional universe gets it rung.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1712902)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 24th, 2015 @ 3:00pm CDT
This is awesome, now if onlyonly you local comic shop can get it in.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1712916)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on July 24th, 2015 @ 3:17pm CDT
So Skids is Christopher Eccleston as the 9nth doctor.
Bluestreak is Kelly kapoor
Tailgate is a toddler
Rung is David Farnsworth
And Cyclonus is a stone cold fox.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1712963)
Posted by Shuttershock on July 24th, 2015 @ 5:28pm CDT
Side note: I like how Blaster has essentially become Officer Uhura for the Lost Light.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1712966)
Posted by That_Guy on July 24th, 2015 @ 5:30pm CDT
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1712971)
Posted by Madeus Prime on July 24th, 2015 @ 6:02pm CDT
That_Guy wrote:I wonder what other treasures of Sitcoms are going to join in the fray. :KREMZEEK:

Please let there be a Newman in there somewhere, and an Eddie :x

Is it wrong that with all these human holomatter avatars showing up, that I really want to see who Megatron and Rodimus' avatars are going to be based on (I know that back on earth Rodimus had one, but please reinvent them.)

SW's SilverHammer wrote:Holomatter avatar to claw me across the face and tongue my bloody mouth.

Just wanted to resurface that comment for fun.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1712972)
Posted by Shuttershock on July 24th, 2015 @ 6:06pm CDT
Madeus Prime wrote:

Please let there be a Newman in there somewhere, and an Eddie :x

Just wanted to resurface that comment for fun.

[Door opens. Megatron enters]

Swerve: [Eyes narrow] "Hello, MEGS."

Megatron: [Twirls curly moustache coyly] "Hello, SWERVE."
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1712973)
Posted by Shuttershock on July 24th, 2015 @ 6:07pm CDT
That_Guy wrote:I'm loving the Cheers reference, I literally heard the tune as I read that. So Friends set, Cheers "theme song", I wonder what other treasures of Sitcoms are going to join in the fray. :KREMZEEK:

CLEARLY there'll be a Nurse Whitney cameo. :grin:
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1712979)
Posted by Diem on July 24th, 2015 @ 6:51pm CDT
I was trying to figure out who Bluestreak reminded me of, and I finally realized it was the distractingly hot girl from Subnormality.

Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1712984)
Posted by CombaticonsCombine? on July 24th, 2015 @ 7:10pm CDT
MTMTE is looking better and better!

CHEERS to the writers of this issue, I'd sure like to be FRIENDS with some of 'em.

...

Okay, put down the gun.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1713116)
Posted by ScottyP on July 25th, 2015 @ 11:35am CDT
Optimizzy wrote:uh. MrBlack I think you guessed it. Awesome
Close? Yes. Right? Can't say that.

I am looking forward to hanging out in this thread on Wednesday.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1713175)
Posted by kirbenvost on July 25th, 2015 @ 2:27pm CDT
I... I just can't wait to get to this. Sometimes waiting for the trades really sucks.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1713227)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on July 25th, 2015 @ 5:21pm CDT
Shuttershock wrote:
Madeus Prime wrote:

Please let there be a Newman in there somewhere, and an Eddie :x

Just wanted to resurface that comment for fun.

[Door opens. Megatron enters]

Swerve: [Eyes narrow] "Hello, MEGS."

Megatron: [Twirls curly moustache coyly] "Hello, SWERVE."

Pffft, Satsuki here is meg's holomatter avatar
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1713281)
Posted by misfire19d on July 25th, 2015 @ 10:41pm CDT
Optimizzy wrote:uh. MrBlack I think you guessed it. Awesome

I concur. That was well played.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1714211)
Posted by Va'al on July 29th, 2015 @ 1:49am CDT
I'm No Superbot
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

Nobel-worthy dialogue

Story

There comes a point in a series, be it on television, in comics, or whatever else have you, when a certain sentence is brought onto the picture, featuring an aquatic creature, a certain type of physical effort and usual negative connotations. Do any of those descriptors fit issue 43 of Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye? Find out below (maybe)!

'Why are all these Us in our colors?'

Writer James Roberts has made no secret of his fascination with popular culture, in music, TV series and the wider comics world - and has often woven in MTMTE this passion of his, with multiple results, usually as one-off gags or non-impacting moments. And then this issue happens, where all of those strands come once again together into a truly bizarre read.

Scene One

As the solicits, previous issue, covers and various previews have shown us, Swerve takes centre stage in the most peculiar of ways, and fans of the last twenty years of anything and everything outside of the Transformers will probably find that the Idol of Millions has indeed something for everyone - even if some readers may find the frequency and awareness grating at times.

So Meta

And yet, that last point also feeds into the story, and I'd be curious to see the varying reactions to the experience of getting through this new instalment of the series among the readership. Especially as whatever journey we take for 20 pages suddenly screeches, swerves (heh) and slams somewhere very very different indeed. At last.

Art

From a visual side of things, on the other hand, this issue proves that give Alex Milne a direction, and he will dress a world out of a streetname. Both his linework and Brian Shearer's inking collaboration really bring out the individual, non-robotic elements of each character that Roberts' script helps create, however on the nose or in your face, with some seriously on point representations.

Introducing: Cyclonus

And if we needed any more beauty and poignancy to any of the meta-mess that the story develops, Joana Lafuente's colours makes sure we don't miss the emotional stream trickling beneath the apparently farcical surface. Sets, settings, dresses, clothing and texture in general is deftly captured and covered by her tones, ensuring a full surround of no laughing matter.

Also introducing: Bluestreak

Laughter which is instead, where necessary (and unnecessary, given the setting) provided by letterer Tom B. Long, whose efforts are not slight in populating a sign-crowded world with more words than you can shake a boom mic at. There are covers for all flavours too, from the Milne/Josh Perez main Cyclonus one, to the cameo making multi-Swerve by Nick Roche and Josh Burcham, a Texas exclusive Casey Coller and JP Bove G1-esque variant, and the thumbnailed James Biggie ad-style Unicron.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Similar things have been said for other issues of MTMTE, but this one in particular is going to be discussed quite a bit, one expects, not for its impact on the wider story - though it inevitably will on that account too - but for what it's trying to do and how it's accomplishing the A plot, and how far some readers will take it - or leave it.

Wait.. what? What?!

What goes well with the issue, however, goes really really well, from both a writing and a visual perspective, and the latter in particular. Milne and Lafuente are at top form, and all the characters receiving a holomatter avatar, a whole lot of them, are perfect renditions of their personalities, and Shearer and Long provide equally excellent assists.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: ½ out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1714225)
Posted by Jeen0808 on July 29th, 2015 @ 3:55am CDT
Loved it. Especially all the jabs about what people thought of the last issue. Gold stuff.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1714255)
Posted by ScottyP on July 29th, 2015 @ 8:21am CDT
The narrative device used in this got a little too self-aware and metafictional for my tastes through most of the issue, although the fact that this was done without creating plot-holes at all is an achievement worth mention.

The last 4-5 pages of this one took it from "well that was cute, I guess" to "Oh, ok, I get it", then "Oh, that's kind of touching", finally with "Holy crap that is a big deal."
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #43 Full Preview (1714263)
Posted by ctrlFrequency on July 29th, 2015 @ 8:53am CDT
I was worried about that issue... a bit, but worked out very touching... and sorta fun :P

My biggest worry was that I wouldn't like the sitcom aspect, as I'm not really into pop culture exactly... but I dunno, I got a laugh out of it :)

Not surprised Roberts was building to something with this and the planet chasing was just a comic devices :P Megs avatar wasn't impressive, but it did fit his personality, Nautica was adorable, and I loved the vibe between she and Megs... :P

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Transformers: Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures - Repugnus Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Studio Series KSI Boss Age of Extinction" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers AOE Studio Series 43 Voyager Class KSI Boss" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Studio Series 03 Deluxe Crowbar" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots MORBOT Race Car Grey Purple" on EBAY
Buy "NEW Transformers Dark of the Moon DOTM Lot - JOLT- CRANKCASE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects Deluxe WFC-GS21 Decepticon Sandstorm" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Galactic Odyssey Biosfera Autobot Clones MISB" on EBAY