IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview

Friday, December 18th, 2015 2:19pm CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 25,624

Sometimes a spaceship is just a spaceship. Sometimes, there is ...More Than Meets the Eye. Check out below the full preview of next week's early present, in issue #48 of the ongoing series aboard the Lost Light! Make sure to head back here for a review, once it's released, too.

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48
James Roberts (w) • Hayato Sakamoto (a) • Alex Milne (c)
MIND GAMES! The crew of the Lost Light are caught off guard when a dead friend appears out of the blue. But there's no time for a happy reunion: someone else has found his way onto the ship—someone with the power to tear the crew apart.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
James Roberts gets completely autobiographical with this one!
Hayato Sakamoto draws the run-up to issue 50!
Sometimes MTMTE is funny… sometimes it breaks your heart.
Variant cover by Alex Milne!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview

Credit(s): Newsarama, IDW

Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1748856)
Posted by Gearslide on December 18th, 2015 @ 2:34pm CST
"I only collect ships on which I've served."

That's the ARK-6. AND Rung's been seen with a model of the ARK-1.

...How old is Rung?

Also, look, Machine Wars Soundwave!
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1748873)
Posted by Deadput on December 18th, 2015 @ 3:24pm CST
Gearslide wrote:Also, look, Machine Wars Soundwave!

You mean Stalker?

Machine wars Soundwave was grey.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1748875)
Posted by Gearslide on December 18th, 2015 @ 3:51pm CST
mirageandjazz1197 wrote:
Gearslide wrote:Also, look, Machine Wars Soundwave!

You mean Stalker?

Machine wars Soundwave was grey.

Whoops, you're right. I completely forgot about him.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1748899)
Posted by LE0KING on December 18th, 2015 @ 5:33pm CST
I think rung is the elusive 13th member of the original primes. Lattice Prime!
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1748907)
Posted by Va'al on December 18th, 2015 @ 6:08pm CST
Have a Milne/Perez cover, too.

Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1748978)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 19th, 2015 @ 3:25am CST
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1748981)
Posted by Va'al on December 19th, 2015 @ 4:02am CST
ZeroWolf wrote:Is there another cover that connects to this one? I can see skids arm and cyclonus great sword.

According to Perez, there are several more! I'm guessing they'll go all the way up to #50. :-?
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1749021)
Posted by Moonshot on December 19th, 2015 @ 7:53am CST
Somehow More Than Meets the Eye keeps getting better and better. Always the first comic I read each month.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1749958)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on December 23rd, 2015 @ 10:53am CST
JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW ALL
Spoiler-Free-ish

Synopsis

Yeah, way too soon to celebrate guys….

Story so Far
Well, just when you thought you knew it all, Roberts finds a way to make you question everything you thought you knew, and he certainly had me scratching my head at times during this read. It really didn’t pick up where the last left off, but rather steered the ship into whole new waters. We learn of some pasts that we wanted to know and some we never thought we’d see coming. And it was not at all what I expected, but it made me think, it made me go back through and take a look at what I thought I knew. This one made me question some things, and I am not sure at this time if I could give many answers.

Me about this time

Now I was disappointed in the amount of storytelling continuity between issue 47 and this one, but I can say I was somewhat satisfied by the topic that we did plunge into, and that we will finally be getting our answers. Issues 47-49 more feel like slight tidying up issues that Roberts thought he’d have more time to tell but doesn’t, so he’s rushing a bit. So the story does suffer a bit due to it, but it is still tackling the taboo that we have thought about for years, so -1 for speed but +2 for our questions being fulfilled?

Art
With Alex Milne still suffering a leg injury, art this issue is covered by the extremely talented newcomer Hayato Sakamoto, and he brings his A-game to the table this issue. He has a lot to draw, not mention some very scary and very dastardly disgusting stuff to work with, but he takes in stride and doesn’t give an inch! He forged through with no issues whatsoever and very much continues to impress me.
Yeah Rung, that’s how I’d feel staring into death itself too!

Joana Lafuente once again picks up coloring duties and the darkness of the story mixed with the bright hope and fire burning within some of our friends here makes for some stunning images, both grim and shining. Lettering is done once again by Tom B. Long, but his time he has some help with the aid of Chris Mowry, and both do a masterful job of giving life to this book, the words, and the memory issues that Skids has fought for oh so long. It truly is the lettering though, that opens up Skids properly and finally for all of us to see though.

Yeah, this proves every point right here

Thoughts, with some spoilers ahead…
Well, We are finally getting our answers, and it seems that some of them are what we thought, and yet some are nowhere near what we could ever imagine. And let alone what the end of the issue means for us going forward, Youch! Poor Rung, and poor Skids. As his memories are ripped open for all to see, I can begin to see tragedy ahead that will bring him closer to a few of his crewmates than ever before, and potential conflict with one in particular. Darkness is descending on the Lost Light, and as we speed ever faster towards Dying of the Light, I can only hope that we still have the crew we started with to hold off the darkness and give the Lost Light some new light.

Pretty much how my head feels

Overall, good issue, very good ready, amazing art, and some answers begin to come out. The major thing that lets this issue down is how it kind of tossed out some things needed to wrap up 47, but that isn’t enough to cripple it too badly.

.:BOT: :BOT: :BOT: .5 out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1749977)
Posted by luisperezart on December 23rd, 2015 @ 11:59am CST
Yeah, it felt rushed. I think he's sprinting towards the big 50.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1749978)
Posted by 1984forever on December 23rd, 2015 @ 12:43pm CST
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1749979)
Posted by Randomhero on December 23rd, 2015 @ 1:01pm CST
This issue did feel very rushed. It's not a bad issue, way better than the last issue and I'm glad Cyclonus and Tailgates fates are resolved. Didn't think either died because like I said with last issue: they both appear in future covers. I think it's the strongest issue we've gotten since the issue where ratchet left but isn't better than that one.

I think the rating is justified. It's an average issue with strong art and a sense of "we need to tie up a lot of stuff because The Dying of Light starts in 2 months. Something Roberts needs to work on still, structure and pacing.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1750077)
Posted by Crosscheck on December 24th, 2015 @ 12:10am CST
So the fact that Skids did not have a quantum duplicate for when the DJD attacked the Lost Light might be integral to how a future encounter with the DJD is going to play out. Skids likely knows who Tarn is, but neither of them have encountered each other since Grindcore. I get the feeling that if Tarn really is Roller, the fact they are old friends is probably why Skids is even alive at this point. With his repressed memories surfacing, Skids is probably going to relearn that fact.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1750087)
Posted by pie-man on December 24th, 2015 @ 3:18am CST
Good to see some of the long awaited threads finally unraveling. The Skids-Tarn connection is finally coming to a head. Can't wait for the 3-page preview.... anyone know when #49 is coming out?

Glad to see that Getaway & Atomizer have been arrested.... that look on Magnus' face in that panel is amazing and I think that's my favorite panel in the entire issue.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1750093)
Posted by Burn on December 24th, 2015 @ 4:18am CST
Gearslide wrote:
mirageandjazz1197 wrote:
Gearslide wrote:Also, look, Machine Wars Soundwave!

You mean Stalker?

Machine wars Soundwave was grey.

Whoops, you're right. I completely forgot about him.

As President of the Stalker Appreciation Society I should being doing all sorts of unmentionable mean things to you.

BUT ... I feel your confusion stems from the News Crews on-going vendetta against Stalker, so I shall instead turn my attention back towards the evil News Crew.
Shame it was a flashback.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1750096)
Posted by MemphisR56 on December 24th, 2015 @ 4:55am CST
Burn wrote:
Gearslide wrote:
mirageandjazz1197 wrote:
Gearslide wrote:Also, look, Machine Wars Soundwave!

You mean Stalker?

Machine wars Soundwave was grey.

Whoops, you're right. I completely forgot about him.

Shame it was a flashback.

Don't worry burn, TR Hardhead will be out soon enough.

Think of all the Stalker customs people will make! ;)
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1750098)
Posted by Burn on December 24th, 2015 @ 4:59am CST
MemphisR56 wrote:
Burn wrote:
Gearslide wrote:
mirageandjazz1197 wrote:
Gearslide wrote:Also, look, Machine Wars Soundwave!

You mean Stalker?

Machine wars Soundwave was grey.

Whoops, you're right. I completely forgot about him.

Shame it was a flashback.

Don't worry burn, TR Hardhead will be out soon enough.

Think of all the Stalker customs people will make! ;)

Hasbro had their chance with Cybertron Defense Red Alert. Plus Hardhead comes no where near close to Stalker.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1750189)
Posted by Deadput on December 24th, 2015 @ 1:51pm CST
1984forever wrote:I hope Tailgate stays down. He is IDWs version of G1 Wheelie... so annoying. I really don't know why Hasbro felt compelled to even release minibots for '86! Everyone would have lived better lives without them.

Seriously?

Your like the only person I have ever witnessed to have so much hate.

Your hate capacity exceeds Palpatine or any other star wars sith lord.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1750400)
Posted by LE0KING on December 26th, 2015 @ 3:47am CST
I feel like they were planning on doing something big with Tailgate's explosion at the end of 47, like suddenly super over powered Tailgate Supreme, but the fans were all like "meh >:oP " so they just glossed over it and threw in Thunderclash's revival as an easy way to buy time for a different story.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #48 Full Preview (1750502)
Posted by Crosscheck on December 27th, 2015 @ 1:12am CST
It is quite funny that almost every Decepticon present at Grindcore is confirmed dead in the present time.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 06 Voyager Class Movie 1 Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Autobot Sovereign Alpha Trion 7" Action Figure  Nib" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titan Returns Blitzwing + Headmaster Hazard Voyager class New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return BROADSIDE BLUNDERBUSS Generations Voyager Class" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Darkmoon & Astrotrain Titans Return Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations - Titans Return Hyperfire & Blurr (loose)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends Blurr SEALED G1 LG-25 Takara Titans Return Generations" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War for Cybertron Barricade Action Figure Hasbro" on EBAY