IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview

IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview

Friday, May 20th, 2016 6:02pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 30,521

Our next comics preview from IDW Publishing (and Newsarama) continues the arc of The Dying of the Light, with Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53, found in full below - again, with potential spoilers for the issue, so tread lightly, and art assist by Hayato Sakamoto! Check it out, start talking the talk in the Energon Pub, and head back here on Wednesday to read the Seibertron.com review to continue the conversation.

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53
James Roberts (w) • Alex Milne (a & c)
THE DYING OF THE LIGHT part 4! Twilight’s last gleaming! The end is nigh. No chance of escape. No last-minute reprieve. But nothing loosens the tongue like imminent death, and the crew of the Lost Light use their final hours to say what—until now—was unsayable.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
Winner: Comic Alliance Best of 2015: Continues Excellence in Serial Comics!
Winner: Comic Alliance Best of 2015: Outstanding Writer—James Roberts!
Variant cover by Priscilla Tramontano!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview

Credit(s): IDW, Newsarama

This article was last modified on Friday, May 20th, 2016 6:05pm CDT

Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1791273)
Posted by Mindmaster on May 20th, 2016 @ 7:11pm CDT
I pretty much expected her to propose to someone, but I didn't realize there was an "all of the above" answer on this kind of test! Interested in seeing how this works.

EDIT: just remembered I got it confused with "Conjunx Endura"... whoops!.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1791280)
Posted by misfire19d on May 20th, 2016 @ 8:04pm CDT
HA! They just got friend-zoned! :lol:
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1791291)
Posted by Bounti76 on May 20th, 2016 @ 8:47pm CDT
Awww, Nautica! I guess this means you can have more than one Amica Endura. Otherwise, she would have broken off her friendship with Firestar.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1791300)
Posted by Noideaforaname on May 20th, 2016 @ 9:50pm CDT
She's, ah, flashing everybody...

Did they leave out an artist credit? "Incentive Cover Artwork by: Priscilla Tramont and"
And who?
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1791334)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on May 20th, 2016 @ 11:26pm CDT
Noideaforaname wrote:She's, ah, flashing everybody...

That was my first reaction. I mean, when a girl really likes a bunch of people, isnt that what she does? Maybe?

Not that I'd know... :-P

And who?

Ahem...Priscilla Tramontano, I believe. It's an O, not a D.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1791353)
Posted by Mr Skram on May 21st, 2016 @ 3:02am CDT
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1791799)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 22nd, 2016 @ 8:30pm CDT
Mr Skram wrote:Did they start drawing Brainstorm like his TR figure this issue or have they been doing it for awhile? I can't remember and my tablet isn't handy.

Nope, that is the same body he's had for the entirety of MTMTE :MAXIMAL:
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1791800)
Posted by Mr Skram on May 22nd, 2016 @ 8:33pm CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:

Nope, that is the same body he's had for the entirety of MTMTE :MAXIMAL:

I think his head changed though. This one looks like the TR head. Others seemed much closer to his Generations fig.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1791802)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 22nd, 2016 @ 8:37pm CDT
Mr Skram wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:

Nope, that is the same body he's had for the entirety of MTMTE :MAXIMAL:

I just scanned my comics I have here, that is the same head as he has had. :MAXIMAL:
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1791803)
Posted by Mr Skram on May 22nd, 2016 @ 8:38pm CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:
Mr Skram wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:

Nope, that is the same body he's had for the entirety of MTMTE :MAXIMAL:

I guess the TR hype has been getting to me :HEADHURTS:
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1791806)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 22nd, 2016 @ 8:59pm CDT
Mr Skram wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:
Mr Skram wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:

Nope, that is the same body he's had for the entirety of MTMTE :MAXIMAL:

I guess the TR hype has been getting to me :HEADHURTS:

Not you're fault. Can't blame you either! :MAXIMAL:
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1792428)
Posted by DarkEnergon on May 25th, 2016 @ 1:54am CDT
Just read it, and well, didn't see that coming! These issues are just way too short. Luckily, MTMTE you can reread plenty and find new details or ways of looking at things.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1792431)
Posted by Va'al on May 25th, 2016 @ 2:49am CDT
Choices
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

Geddit? lights dying?

Story

The Light keeps dying, slowly, inexorably, irreparably, and we are witnesses to the events as they unfold, as James Roberts allows them to, and we are left without choice (other than not to read the story, of course) - in a manner very similar to the characters in this issue, faced with choices, the illusion of such, and a lot of emotions.

Average MTMTE reader

And with a lot of emotions, come a lot of storylines: we have Nightbeat's intrigue with the hollow planet, and his co-opting of Rung, we have whatever Minimus Ambus and Brainstorm are doing, we have Ratchet and Velocity, Nautica and her group, Chromedome recovering, Megatron being repaired, the DJD just waiting, Whirl and Cyclonus. I could go on.

New mystery; where are Rung's glasses?

Don't get me wrong, though, there are some stellar character moments for pretty much all of the cast members in the book. And it also manages to deal quite nicely, and deeply (and on multiple fronts) with big themes such as addiction, the overwhelming fears running through the whole cast of the issue, friendship and love, and the pain that the latter two can bring as side effects.

Not pictured: your gut

There's ..a lot in here. And not all of it necessarily meshes that well together. We see it in the opening preview, with Nautica's otherwise very touching moment as she sees the end coming - a moment which feels too short taken within the frame of the whole issue, and that is a real shame. But more below.

Art

Alex Milne is the main artist on the book, though the Whirl/Cyclonus sequence is actually the talented hands of Hayato Sakamoto, and it shows. Not just the parallels, but the issues that come across in the script in terms of pacing are visually redeemed (for me at least) by punching the 'meanwhile' technique is a truly spectacular way. And one panel, that one panel, THAT PANEL, is almost painful.

Not showing it of course

Joana Lafuente's gradual transition in colour palettes, from the arrival on the beautifully lit Necroworld to now

Inevitability sucks

Tom B. Long takes the letters and makes sure we know exactly where to look, what to hear, and how loudly (or softly). In a text that so much unsaid finally spoken, the indication is needed, welcome, and part of the emotional package. The covers, on the other hand, do very little to hint at anything happening inside this book, though great they are! Priscilla Tramontano brings a much happier Swerve memory (thumbnail), as Josh Burcham and Sakamoto show off the threat that awaits, and Milne and Josh Perez look at that thread from our side of the fence.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Reader, I cried. Much like the issue in this series that provided the template for the culprit image, I felt the same build up on the page, in the characters, and inside my emotional chamber, as I was led to the resolution of that particular arc. It doesn't end there, of course, but if I have to talk about one moment, that is the one that stuck. The art, as I said above, is mostly to blame.

...ready?

There are, I repeat here, some severe pacing issues, trying to fit in a number of personal narratives that just do not survive the composition, either coming across as rushed, disjointed or even shoehorned in - which the visuals do wonders with. It's a collection of character moments, beautiful, each unique in their own way, and well-done taken separately. But we need the climax. It is time.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1792454)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 25th, 2016 @ 7:43am CDT
Well, I was wrong about Dominus, but not really in an expected way. At least I was fairly close, him actually being there in the DJD. Also, that section with Dome and Rewind, that was the highlight of the issue. That was a great story part.

And oh yes, Maximus Ambus!!
:MAXIMAL:
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1792463)
Posted by RevTibe on May 25th, 2016 @ 8:29am CDT
When I was commenting on the first preview I clipped a paragraph off my comic about being surprised we hadn't seen a Turbofox Transformer, since turning into a Turbofox would be a legitimately useful disguise on Cybertron. I like this twist, since the similarity is sorta there when you compare the preexisting glimpse we had at 113 and The Pet, but I haven't seen anyone draw that connection.

...this could add depth to why Kaon was so attached to The Pet. I suppose it can be hard to let go of your camaraderie, even if that comrade turns out to be a traitor.
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1792500)
Posted by MrBlack on May 25th, 2016 @ 10:46am CDT
Two thoughts:

Dominus as the first Vos/the Pet provides Tarn with a bit more motivation to do what he did to Kaon. It wasn't just the weakness of emotions a attachment, it was sympathy towards an Autobot.

I guess the last Scavengers story was some sort foreshadowing with the Roboids. I wonder if Demus learned his trade from the DJD?
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1792552)
Posted by MrBlack on May 25th, 2016 @ 1:43pm CDT
Also, Skids was awful mopey this issue. Given the awkwardness between him and Rung after the amica endura ritual, do you think Skids proposed to Rung and got shot down?
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1792553)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 25th, 2016 @ 1:54pm CDT
I'm really not sure what to make of Skids and Rung.

Actually idea:

last issue, Rewind said that on cybertron, Amica endura is only when you cannot get a conjux endura, so it means you accept you will never get that "true love." maybe the implication is that Skids wanted a conjux, but now that Nautica has done the amica, he can no longer get that conjux, hence his displeasure. :MAXIMAL:
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1792555)
Posted by MrBlack on May 25th, 2016 @ 2:01pm CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:I'm really not sure what to make of Skids and Rung.

Actually idea:

Maybe...
Re: IDW Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #53 Full Preview (1792557)
Posted by RevTibe on May 25th, 2016 @ 2:04pm CDT
I'll need to go panel-by-panel on Skids again, but let's not rule out that he might be sad on account of the whole "dying in an hour" thing :P

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers SIEGE War for Cybertron Deluxe Class COG - WEAPONIZER! Complete." on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War For Cybertron SIEGE Firedrive WFC-S1" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON BATTLE MASTERS Aimless" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron SIEGE Roadhandler & Swindler WFC-S4" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Trilogy Pteraxadon Action Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Springer" on EBAY