IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove

IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove

Monday, August 18th, 2014 10:24am CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 25,625

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Gearing up for the full preview for Robots in Disguise #32 hitting the interwebs tomorrow, IDW colourist John-Paul Bove has revealed the excellent collaboration with artist Casey Coller on their 30th anniversary cover series - feast your eyes on the multiple bringers of doom below!

So finally I can reveal this cover and it is possibly my favourite single image I have worked on. This is one of my favourite moments in all of TF history and I wanted to have Unicron swept up in firey hell and Optimus and Scorponok to be in a cool and contemplative hue. A still moment contrasted against a firestorm. Hope you dig it!


Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove

Credit(s): John-Paul Bove


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600197)
Posted by cor2879 on August 18th, 2014 @ 11:50am CDT
I agree, one of the best endings to one of the best story arcs in TF history. In fact, knowing what I know now about the Marvel G1 run (and the IDW follow up that I generally didn't like), this probably would have been the best place to end the series.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600198)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 18th, 2014 @ 11:58am CDT
That's a really nice cover :) Though I think it's a bit much to have the dark matrix beast there as well, Unicron is enough of a harbinger of doom :P How do you get this one though?
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600199)
Posted by cor2879 on August 18th, 2014 @ 11:59am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:That's a really nice cover :) Though I think it's a bit much to have the dark matrix beast there as well, Unicron is enough of a harbinger of doom :P How do you get this one though?


Having the Dark Matrix Beast there seemed like a lot in Transformers #75 as well! But there he was. Intense story.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600239)
Posted by dragons on August 18th, 2014 @ 2:56pm CDT
I have always waonder about this g1 comics scorpnock same size as grimlock, optimus and all other bots does hetransform into small city/ battlestation?
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600241)
Posted by cor2879 on August 18th, 2014 @ 3:00pm CDT
dragons wrote:I have always waonder about this g1 comics scorpnock same size as grimlock, optimus and all other bots does hetransform into small city/ battlestation?


Prettymuch. In the main series I don't think we ever saw him in city mode... and I never picked up Headmasters so I'm not sure if he did in that series or not. Fort Max I believe did transform to battlestation mode a couple times. Now he was larger than most 'bots but still not titanic like in the cartoon (or even the toy proportions).
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600266)
Posted by Gallifreyan Autobot on August 18th, 2014 @ 5:37pm CDT
if they made that into a poster I WOULD DEFINITELY BUY IT BECAUSE IT LOOKS EPIC :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :michaelbay: :BOT: :BOT:
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600275)
Posted by Gallifreyan Autobot on August 18th, 2014 @ 6:10pm CDT
i was looking at the poster wrong i thought the dead guy was Optimus Until i noticed it had Scorponok's arms and feet and the guy kneeling was Magnus. my bad
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600281)
Posted by Neurie on August 18th, 2014 @ 6:35pm CDT
Id say this is my all time favourite covers
Scorp.jpg
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600315)
Posted by jgilkinson on August 18th, 2014 @ 9:07pm CDT
Autobot tap out wrote:if they made that into a poster I WOULD DEFINITELY BUY IT BECAUSE IT LOOKS EPIC :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :BOWDOWN: :michaelbay: :BOT: :BOT:


Completely agree... that would look great hanging up
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600330)
Posted by morphobots on August 18th, 2014 @ 11:22pm CDT
cor2879 wrote:
dragons wrote:I have always waonder about this g1 comics scorpnock same size as grimlock, optimus and all other bots does hetransform into small city/ battlestation?


Prettymuch. In the main series I don't think we ever saw him in city mode... and I never picked up Headmasters so I'm not sure if he did in that series or not. Fort Max I believe did transform to battlestation mode a couple times. Now he was larger than most 'bots but still not titanic like in the cartoon (or even the toy proportions).


Scorponok transformed only into scorpion mode in the Headmasters series, as well. The comics treatment portrayed him and Max as not having three modes, the omitted ones being the cities. I think this was because the scorpion and battle station modes implied mobility, hence action potential instead of just sitting in place. I don't know for sure, but I've always believed they were never given their full sizes because all the Nebulans were the same size, so how do you attempt to explain a normal man becoming the head of a city-sized robot? (Cerebros wasn't in HM, he was added later) And, yes, I believe Max was shown in battle station mode only twice in the comics, doing . . . basically nothing each time.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600344)
Posted by Va'al on August 19th, 2014 @ 2:57am CDT
Coming at us from IDW like a flying saucer fleeing from a gigantic spaceship, this week in Transformers comics brings the latest installment of Robots in Disguise, on its 32nd issue! Check out a full preview below, and head back here tomorrow for the Seibertron.com review.

Transformers: Robots in Disguise #32: Dawn of the Autobots
John Barber (w) • Andrew Griffith (a & c)
AUTOBOTS VERSUS EARTH! OPTIMUS PRIME and the AUTOBOTS discover the humans’ secret—and they aren’t pleased with what they learn! Will the DECEPTICON’s alliance tear down the peace—and will the world learn the CYBERTRONIANs are back?
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
OPTIMUS PRIME versus GALVATRON!
DEVASTATOR versus EVERYBODY!
Earth will never be the same!
Variant Cover by Casey Coller!


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600390)
Posted by cor2879 on August 19th, 2014 @ 8:45am CDT
morphobots wrote:
cor2879 wrote:
dragons wrote:I have always waonder about this g1 comics scorpnock same size as grimlock, optimus and all other bots does hetransform into small city/ battlestation?


Prettymuch. In the main series I don't think we ever saw him in city mode... and I never picked up Headmasters so I'm not sure if he did in that series or not. Fort Max I believe did transform to battlestation mode a couple times. Now he was larger than most 'bots but still not titanic like in the cartoon (or even the toy proportions).


Scorponok transformed only into scorpion mode in the Headmasters series, as well. The comics treatment portrayed him and Max as not having three modes, the omitted ones being the cities. I think this was because the scorpion and battle station modes implied mobility, hence action potential instead of just sitting in place. I don't know for sure, but I've always believed they were never given their full sizes because all the Nebulans were the same size, so how do you attempt to explain a normal man becoming the head of a city-sized robot? (Cerebros wasn't in HM, he was added later) And, yes, I believe Max was shown in battle station mode only twice in the comics, doing . . . basically nothing each time.


I think the reason they didn't make them huge in the comic was so they could have interesting interactions with the other characters. A city-sized bot is cool in concept, but difficult to write character driven stories about. Bringing them down to 'normal' size gave writers the opportunity to explore them, make them Autobot/Decepticon leaders for a while, etc. I actually liked the fact that they weren't city sized in the comics.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600431)
Posted by morphobots on August 19th, 2014 @ 12:45pm CDT
cor2879 wrote:
morphobots wrote:
cor2879 wrote:
dragons wrote:I have always waonder about this g1 comics scorpnock same size as grimlock, optimus and all other bots does hetransform into small city/ battlestation?


Prettymuch. In the main series I don't think we ever saw him in city mode... and I never picked up Headmasters so I'm not sure if he did in that series or not. Fort Max I believe did transform to battlestation mode a couple times. Now he was larger than most 'bots but still not titanic like in the cartoon (or even the toy proportions).


Scorponok transformed only into scorpion mode in the Headmasters series, as well. The comics treatment portrayed him and Max as not having three modes, the omitted ones being the cities. I think this was because the scorpion and battle station modes implied mobility, hence action potential instead of just sitting in place. I don't know for sure, but I've always believed they were never given their full sizes because all the Nebulans were the same size, so how do you attempt to explain a normal man becoming the head of a city-sized robot? (Cerebros wasn't in HM, he was added later) And, yes, I believe Max was shown in battle station mode only twice in the comics, doing . . . basically nothing each time.


I think the reason they didn't make them huge in the comic was so they could have interesting interactions with the other characters. A city-sized bot is cool in concept, but difficult to write character driven stories about. Bringing them down to 'normal' size gave writers the opportunity to explore them, make them Autobot/Decepticon leaders for a while, etc. I actually liked the fact that they weren't city sized in the comics.


True. Not having them at their "actual" sizes allows for many more story opportunities and solves many headaches. The very first one being getting both of them into their respective ships for leaving Cybertron. We've seen today's writers adapt Metroplex and Trypticon into ships in their battle station modes, but I'm not sure writers in the 80's would have considered that.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600456)
Posted by Deadput on August 19th, 2014 @ 2:41pm CDT
Someone dies in this


just saying


i got an issue yesterday that was given to me by a friend.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600465)
Posted by Va'al on August 19th, 2014 @ 3:12pm CDT
And the whole staff gets issues a week before they come out. Nonetheless, please avoid spoilers of any kind out of respect for other users, be they true, false, exaggerated or well-meant. Thank you.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600474)
Posted by Deadput on August 19th, 2014 @ 4:26pm CDT
Va'al wrote:And the whole staff gets issues a week before they come out. Nonetheless, please avoid spoilers of any kind out of respect for other users, be they true, false, exaggerated or well-meant. Thank you.



Well i never said who.



But yes i understand and also that's cool you guys get the issues a week before anyone else.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600475)
Posted by Va'al on August 19th, 2014 @ 4:31pm CDT
IDW Publishing has a deal with news sites and podcasts, from Newsarama and CBR to Seibertron and Full Metal Hero via The Underbase and more. We get access to watermarked review copies and preview pages, with embargo dates as to when we can post them publicly (usually the day before release). Most of us also then buy the digital or print copy when they're available too, to support the titles, creators and line.

The copies are usually available on the Thursday, so just under a week. Gives reviewers time to process the material, prepare posts and format images. ;)

Speaking of which..
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600481)
Posted by Deadput on August 19th, 2014 @ 4:48pm CDT
Va'al wrote:IDW Publishing has a deal with news sites and podcasts, from Newsarama and CBR to Seibertron and Full Metal Hero via The Underbase and more. We get access to watermarked review copies and preview pages, with embargo dates as to when we can post them publicly (usually the day before release). Most of us also then buy the digital or print copy when they're available too, to support the titles, creators and line.

The copies are usually available on the Thursday, so just under a week. Gives reviewers time to process the material, prepare posts and format images. ;)

Speaking of which..



How does someone become part of the sites staff anyways.


Not asking to be part of the staff as cool as that would be but i'm just curious on how sites like these pick their staff.
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600482)
Posted by Va'al on August 19th, 2014 @ 4:49pm CDT
Bad Cop/Bad Cop
(Spoiler free-ish)



Synopsis
AUTOBOTS VERSUS EARTH! OPTIMUS PRIME and the AUTOBOTS discover the humans’ secret—and they aren’t pleased with what they learn! Will the DECEPTICON’s alliance tear down the peace—and will the world learn the CYBERTRONIANs are back?

Image
A bit hard to miss, really


Story

The past of couple of issues of Robots in Disguise have slowly been building up to the Alpha Trion discovery and recovery, seeding lies and lines about Prowl's true intentions and feelings, Jazz and Arcee's discomfort in their new-and-old roles, Galvatron's connection to it all, the Witwickys, Soundwave, Optimus and the rest of the gang. Slowly.

Image
Ready..?


And then, suddenly, giant spaceships. Stories that were heading one fearfully predictable way go in a direction so different it's almost inwards. Characters more or less established by now are truly revealed for what and who they are. Changes come about so subtly and quickly and yet still make sense with everything teased so far, that reading 28-31 again is almost required to get more out of it all once again.

Image
Bananas!


John Barber does an excellent job at keeping all the threads close, weaving a pattern so intricate that three out of two of us on the comics staff have no idea as to where the story will go from here, but are loving the ride read. This is what RID promised in its initial issues, both seasons, and the heights it can accomplish with its twisted political and social narratives.

Image
And dogs called Buster


And on top of that, the entire issue is a series of well orchestrated, well paced, well placed action sequences, with Prowl and Jazz on one side, the Autobot team on another, and humans and Decepticons between and around the two. With exemplary stand-outs in Thundercracker, Buster and Marissa, as Barber does not forget the series' heart and humour, exactly when needed (the closing sequence is magnificently crafted).

Art

Andrew Griffith is the main artist, taking care of all the gigantic spaceships, stupidly amazing visual references, fights, perspective shifts, interactions and running plot, flashbacks included. The opening scene, the title page, just examples of what Griffith can do with a page, something hinted at in Dark Cybertron. And the amazingness is topped by Josh Perez' colour work on Griffith's pages, giving a grittiness and darker hue to a truly bleak situation - lighting it up by fire, laser and destruction.

Image
Hum. Shoom?


Brendan Cahill is confined (I use the term loosely) to four pages in total - but whoah are they some pages! Focusing on the interactions between Prowl and Jazz, and an amazing double page, reader shifting spread that delves deeper into the human connection to the story, both Cahill and Joana Lafuente's colours put the sci-fi back into the Transformers, reminding us of one of the many genres the comics line falls under. And how adorably evil Prowl looks while smirking.

Image
Smirk



To top everything off, Tom B. Long dazzles in his lettering work, with some wonderfully placed sound effects mirroring the chaos and confusion that must be ensuing during the attack on the human base, and a gorgeous ending sequence caption group. Then add to that the amazing Coller and Bove cover revealed yesterday, and the Coller and Lafuente variant hinting at where the story may be headed (see thumbnail).


Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Barber was able to take all my fears as to where this series was heading, and spin them completely around into something unrecognisable and impossible to figure out, nearing its sister series MTMTE for twistedness. Griffith and Cahill's collaboration raises the bar even higher, with some mind-boggling art in terms of perspective and layouts, with the excellent Perez and Lafuente giving a decidedly significant boost, and Long's designer eye operating from the shadows.

Image
You did, RID


Robots in Disguise #32 has action, lots of it. It has mystery, it has scheming, it has humans and Cybertronians. Lots of them. It has a good story, excellent pacing, great dialogue, fantastic art, amazing colouring and letters, gorgeous covers and is reaching a level of comic book writing worthy of any other action series currently published in the industry. I cannot recommend this issue enough. Lots of it.

. :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: out of :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON:
Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise 30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Coller and Bove (1600487)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 19th, 2014 @ 5:13pm CDT
And again I have to wait a week before I can discuss it properly. Unless I read spoilers argh temptation!

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Motormaster Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #288 - Filler Episode
Twincast / Podcast #288:
"Filler Episode"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, November 14th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Wingspan Cloudraker Clones Walgreens MISB Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Walgreens Exclusive & Wingspan Cloudraker" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Battle For Cybertron Quintesson Invasion Shockwave Prowl" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers SS-42 soundwave with laser beak Free Shipping w/Tracking# New Japan" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron Siege - WFC-S20 Deluxe Chromia" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects Piranacon 1 Seacon TT-GS07 Overbite Shark" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series: #60 Scrapper Figure Unopened (Great buy!!)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cybertron - Voyager Class: Vector Prime (2005) Complete" on EBAY