IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview

Saturday, November 21st, 2015 2:09am CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 34,536

The second release for the week by IDW Publishing brings the long-awaited return of the most ill-fitting crew of Cybertronian mercenaries around - Sins of the Wreckers starts here! Check out the full preview below, and make sure to drop by the Energon Pub for our review and discussion once it's released.

Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 (of 5)—SPOTLIGHT
Nick Roche (w & a & c)
THE WRECKERS RETURN! Somebody’s kidnapped PROWL… but does anybody want him back? A lifetime of messing with everybody’s lives comes around to haunt him. Fortunately, he’s always got a plan. In this case… the one team of brutal, broken heroes… the WRECKERS!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet Points:
The sequel to LAST STAND OF THE WRECKERS—one of the most acclaimed comics in TRANSFORMERS history!
PROWL gets his comeuppance!
Features ARCEE and KUP… and the WRECKERS!
The secret history of PROWL revealed, leaving everybody hurt.
Variant cover by Alex Milne!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview

Credit(s): IDW

Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1743300)
Posted by Henry921 on November 21st, 2015 @ 5:45am CST
Some people just can't live without a war.

Loving this so far.
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1743422)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on November 21st, 2015 @ 2:54pm CST
Glad to see and hear about all these guys again. I'm looking forward to the storyline :BOT:
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1743453)
Posted by LE0KING on November 21st, 2015 @ 5:05pm CST
Man MMC timed their spartan release just right. I wasn't going to get it, but after reading this little preview I think I might.
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1743619)
Posted by Doctor McGrath on November 22nd, 2015 @ 11:22am CST
So much hype!!! I am pumped for this.
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1743667)
Posted by Randomhero on November 22nd, 2015 @ 3:22pm CST
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1743668)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on November 22nd, 2015 @ 3:48pm CST
I'm sure it will be explained during the story when this actually takes place. :BOT:
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1743681)
Posted by Doctor McGrath on November 22nd, 2015 @ 4:41pm CST
Randomhero wrote:It looks nice. Not a fan of the coloring and the continuity is a giant mess. Maybe it takes place before combiner wars? Be terrible especially since that's been almost a year from where we are now. Maybe after this conquers arc? Who knows. Bugs the hell out of me though.

How is it a mess? This takes place after Combiner Wars, directly after the Barber arc we are in now as far as I know. The preview also states it's been 1467 days since Springer was injured so that right there is the exact timeline.
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1743710)
Posted by Randomhero on November 22nd, 2015 @ 7:25pm CST
Doctor McGrath wrote:

Because Prowl is a wanted Fugitive. Issue 42 ended with him escaping custody being taken by Rattrap. Issue 44 revealed he is a wanted fugitive with no allies and with Wanted posters everywhere. Arcee was even filled in with what he did during Combiner Wars and Prowl is not in this current story at all. This comic shows that Prowl was on the Ark-27 and just disappeared from his quarters. 1. hes not with the Earth Autobots right now because hes a wanted fugitive everywhere and 2. The Ark is demolished right now. it is beat to hell and here, its fine. I even asked Nick personally on facebook "when does this take place?" he was kind enough to reply back to me but all he said "the current timeline of IDW" i responded back my points. "but Prowl is a wanted fugitive at the moment. he has no allies with any Autobots, especially Arcee and Kup because they know he went too far in Combiner Hunters" sadly nick did not reply to that.

Honestly? I dont think Nick knew what was going on with Prowl in John's book when he started Sins of the Wreckers. I'm not saying this is all nicks fault because thats something the editor should inform him on. Prowl is a huge character in this series, its essentially about him being missing but we know where he is and he wasnt captured. he escaped custody by Rattrap.

some have tried to justify this saying 'obviously Arcee snuck him back to Earth and he joined back up" no, thats a scene that would require being shown in John's Transformers book especially with Autbots like Kup, Jazz and Sideswipe on Ark-27 who are mroe loyal to Optimus than Arcee. Prowl is an important character to what John Barber has been doing and thats a cop-out to try explain whats going on and I have more respect for IDW and the people creating these books to do something that unprofessional. thats the equivalent of skipping Brainstorm's trial after Elegant Chaos and him just appearing as part of the crew again. Everyone would be screaming "What the is he doing hanging out with everyone again"
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1743715)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on November 22nd, 2015 @ 7:43pm CST
It could be possible that this was set in the time between Prime's departure and Prowl taking the bridge to cybertron, where his events happened. This could be a going back in time to explain stuff story :BOT:
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1743716)
Posted by Doctor McGrath on November 22nd, 2015 @ 7:48pm CST
I wouldn't over think it. This is the preview for the first issue in a mini-series. It will all work out.
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1743721)
Posted by Randomhero on November 22nd, 2015 @ 9:00pm CST
I honestly hope so. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket but the comics are my medium with transformers anymore. I don't watch the cartoons anymore, I collect only classics/generations and I'm picky with continuity, Andy Schmidt just left me so jagged and John has been so damn good running IDW for the past 4 years I just get nitpicky when I know this universe so well and when something doesn't doesn't fit, I get a little "hold on a second" lol. I do have faith in this book. I just don't want this to be something that someone has to fix later. IDW transformers has become better than that in the recent years with their own stories. Yeah they fixed a lot of mess ups the previous did but John hasn't had to fix anything he's been in charge of.
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1743761)
Posted by Va'al on November 23rd, 2015 @ 3:41am CST
For people wondering about the timeline, I would recommend listening to Nick Roche talking about it directly on the 129th Twincast Podcast. ;)

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... ers/34136/

He addresses this point really early on, too.
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1744139)
Posted by Va'al on November 25th, 2015 @ 2:16am CST
Last Stand of the Wreckers: Part II - Stand Laster
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

Such hero, much broken

Story

It has taken some time to convince Nick Roche and the editorial team over at IDW to bring a bunch of clutch munching piston-lickers back to the stage - but years later, here we are again, sans James Roberts, looking at a very different status quo, a similar roster of names and faces, and a much, much darker (if possible) storyline.

Good start..?

We start from where we left in Last Stand, with the passing of time having passed, and done its thing, Springer still in a coma, Impactor and whatever is left of the Wreckers trying to find their place in the new reality of Cybertron and the Council of Worlds. The transition is seamless, in accounting for the time that sits between the two stories.

Establishing shot

We also identify the two majorly major players of the story - from this point, at least - in Verity Carlo and Kup, two people who have all the reasons to dislike Prowl, with a passion, though not necessarily with the knowledge to do so especially in Kup's case.

..and of course, this guy

One concern I do have, though it has been addressed by Roche and IDW more in general, is to do with the exact placing of this story. There are significant scenes with the Ark that do not coincide with The Transformers #47, and something seems to have shifted in Prowl's disappearance, too. That said, in John Barber we trust.

Art

The visual team, linework and layouts at least, is still concentrated in the hands and floppy hair of Roche himself, and he brings, in my opinion, something quite different to the previous Wreckers outing in Last Stand, and something perhaps more fitting to the tone he has set for his own story this time round. That, and a combination of some really dynamic work in the layouts.

Stakepunch!

A tone, of course, that has been perfectly captured and even enhanced in the chromatic wonders of Josh Burcham, who delivers a variety of lonelinesses depending on the scenes, characters, and environments. Blending a very dirty, gritty colouring and lighting for indoor conversations, and cold colours for outdoors Nome, the isolation is palpable.

Greyscale and sepia - mmhmm

Unsurprisingly, Tom B. Long is taking up lettering duties, and there is nothing I have to say that the lettering doesn't do for itself. Tone aside, we get snippets into the dark humour of the book, and the dynamics established among the cast. A cast which is, for the most part, highlighted on the covers with Roche and Burcham giving a cinematographic feel to the main one, guests Declan Shalvey and Jordie Bellaire offering a magnificent Impactor, and Alex Milne teaming up with Josh Perez for a Springer-tastic LSTOW variant (thumbnailed).

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

We've seen it with Redemption, we've seen it in recent issue of The Transformers, it has been running in the Scavengers arc, and more so in this week's release of MTMTE - the status quo for the TFverse has changed. Some characters have not. Some characters are trying to adapt. Some cannot. This is their story, as told by cruel Nick Roche.

Look at that smug mug

Tight editing on the book will ensure that everything slides into place, I'm sure, removing the only major criticism I have of the issue. There are some surprisingly poignant, powerful, ominous, intriguing moments which you just need to enjoy. Make sure you take a break between this and MTMTE, too.

. :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS: out of :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS:
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1744143)
Posted by reVelske on November 25th, 2015 @ 2:51am CST
Oh sweet primus, was that cop car at the end of LSOTW Stakeout the whole time!? MINDBLOWN!
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1744161)
Posted by CombaticonsCombine? on November 25th, 2015 @ 8:02am CST
Jesus, Guzzle. No wonder they were keeping you in that box.
Look at those freaking shoulders.
And the freaking cannon.
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1744162)
Posted by CombaticonsCombine? on November 25th, 2015 @ 8:05am CST
Double-post
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1744166)
Posted by Genericon #378 on November 25th, 2015 @ 8:20am CST
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1744169)
Posted by YoungPrime on November 25th, 2015 @ 9:17am CST
Genericon #378 wrote:Well, Arcee's a greedy bitch. But then, hasn't she always been a useless character in IDW? Springer's back. Awesome! I've got an idea for the song when Springer is shown to be alive and well. Jurassic Park theme. And Stakeout and Hubcap are making their second appearance!

My issue with IDW's Arcee is that I wouldn't have as much issue with her if her sole purpose wasn't killing and slapping around bots I have more stock in.

It's basically a case of Barber's favorite character kicking around other people's favorite character. I know people hated Drift at one point but Arcee in my opinion is far worse. Combat wise IDW puts her too high up on a pedestal for my taste.
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1744186)
Posted by Genericon #378 on November 25th, 2015 @ 12:18pm CST
YoungPrime wrote:

I have a list of characters Arcee has fought and (more or less) beat: Ratbat, Sunstorm, Blast Off, Blot, Triggerhappy, Ravage, Frenzy and Rumble, the triple changers and Shockwave. Oh, and Bombshell. Skywarp. Five characters that should have kicked her ass in battle are on that list. What a waste.
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 Full Preview (1744187)
Posted by Va'al on November 25th, 2015 @ 12:24pm CST
I, for one, think that the betrayal that Arcee feels in the issue is entirely legitimate, given the amount of shit she's been getting and doing from and for Prowl up to this point, only to be sidelined by Springer.

That, and I really like what Barber has done with the character, and how Roche is handling her so far.

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Laserbeak" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Caliburst & Slugslinger Deluxe Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-48 Brawn & Repugnus Robot Figure Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return, SKY SHADOW, Leader Class, Generations" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE RED ALERT & BRAWN, Universe Legends 2008" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Megatron and Doomshot NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Skytread Unopened" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titan Returns Blitzwing + Headmaster Hazard Voyager class New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return BROADSIDE BLUNDERBUSS Generations Voyager Class" on EBAY