IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers

IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers

Wednesday, June 29th, 2016 12:56am CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Reviews, Site Articles
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 24,694

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Wreck, Rule
(Spoiler free-ish)



Synopsis
THIS IS THE END! Will PROWL get his comeuppance? Will TARANTULAS conquer all? Will any of the WRECKERS survive? It’s wreck and rule one last time, with everything on the line!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers
Quite the hook


Story

Remember when we last talked about Sins of the Wreckers? Remember how I mentioned that issue #4 felt very much like an ending, and hoped that the actual end would live up to it? Even if you don't, I say it here, again: issue #5 is the ending that the series built to, prepared for, and ultimately, deserves. Let me tell you why.

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers
This guy, mostly


I will not spoil the book, there will be plenty of time for that in the discussion that will follow, I will point out, though, some of the highest notes that Nick Roche has achieved in this brief but in-depth plunge back into the world of one of more messed up teams in the IDWverse. Above all, the scheming and betrayal that runs deep and leads back to Prowl, always Prowl, and his machinations, and his creations - Tarantulas, Kup, Verity, the secret police, is everything his fault?

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers
Pretty much


We found out some of the dirty secrets last issue, but even more comes out this time: feelings of hurt, revenge, coping mechanisms, catharsis, and violence. A lot of violence, and characters forged through that violence and *bad stuff*. What we obtain is the strange mix of strength and weakness, as the two sides of the same coin - with emotion running all along the thin edge, the gut-wrenching type that comes with *bad stuff*.

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers
Whodat


If you're looking for Overlord levels of manipulation, but with an even stronger psychological connection between characters themselves, and creator and readers, this is the book you should pick up. It's raw, and still edited. It's hard to swallow, but it flow smoothly. It's good. You should read it.

Art

Roche is still very good at the storytelling happening in visual form too, though it should come as no surprise by now. Where the dialogue might risk to overpower the scene, the quieter frames actually allow for a wider scope, and a much deafening, visually speaking, effect. Towards the end, at the climax of the Tarantulas confrontation, you will explicitly see how words are not always needed.

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers
...'


Josh Burcham needs a lot of credit here, as the issue and the series look like nothing before in the IDWverse - even considering previous Roche projects, and Spotlight: Kup, of which we see many references in the series - as his colours are exquisitely apt and decisive for the full spectrum of greys (metaphor) used in the strands of the book. And some of the wider pages would lose a lot of their power without the colours.

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers
And of course, the Noisemaze


The lettering is fantastic, as it has been for the series so far, combining the visual power of size and colour with the fontwork that Tom B. Long can bring to a Transformers book. The silences become clearer, the beastly fonts give voices extra layers, and you can see-hear everything, even in the mess of the Noisemaze. As for covers, not only do we get another Roche/Burcham piece mirroring the first issue, we have the return of two Transformers favourites in E.J. Su (see preview thumbnail) and Guido Guidi (this thumbnail), with their takes on Wreckers past and present.


Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

There have been delays, and they were fully justified - read more by Roche himself here - but even before knowing anything about the author's personal life, the issue, and the series as a result, is a strong, emotional, intense, heartfelt, harrowing, powerful, and most of all human piece of art. It deals with the horrors of emotions, of war, of betrayal, of anguish. It reaches, hard, for hearts and sparks alike. It wrecks.

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers
Those eyes


The conclusion is satisfying without being exhaustive, it keeps threads closed where they should and others open where they can. This was never one story, but a knot in a web of stories: there is no one single thread that would allow for a neat resolution. So it gives many, and does so in words, it does so in pictures, it does so in in ways that only this medium allows. It rules.

. :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS: out of :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS: :WRECKERS:

Credit(s): IDW, Dr Va'al


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1801684)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 29th, 2016 @ 3:07am CDT
Great review Va'al. I'm going to try and pick this up in its collected form :-)
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1801753)
Posted by Tigertrack on June 29th, 2016 @ 9:55am CDT
Awesome review for a final issue, Va'al. I'm working on my own for TFVSGIGJOE, and I doubt it will be quite as eloquent, heartfelt, or even well thought out.

I was let down a couple times (and more when considering MTMTE), but mostly because characters did not act how I wanted them to or their ends were not what I wanted, but they instead acted in the manner in which they had been written and portrayed previously, realistically based on their former relationships and experiences within the written IDW-verse. It's hard to lose so many favorite characters recently because of how others portray them compared to how you 'think' they are in your own starry-eyed little chunk of fandom-reality.

I was glad to see the results of the end. I hope to see more. It was satisfying, and yet, not quite satisfying enough, you know?

ZeroWolf and others who want to wait, I suggest picking up this version, the collected, the hardcover collected when it comes out, and of course, a digital collected version as well. WHY you might ask would you do that and own so many copies of the same thing? To support this thing we like, to encourage the artist and creator to do more, to encourage the company that this product, this piece of creative art and literature is something we want to see more of.

It was worth the wait. It was worth the wait after Last Stand to get another Wreckers story. It was worth the wait while Nick (yeah, Nick he and I are like this so I can use his first name-- :lol: NOT--wish we were, but I can't be one of those social media stalkers...) went through his family's struggles and losing someone too early, and the birth of his child the ultimate in positive life energy-- to get to issue #4 and then finally #5.

Nick does what he should in his profession. He leaves us wanting more because his stuff is really that good. The episodic nature of his work: issue by issue, and then series by series really does that. I hope he gets the opportunity to do more, and that we don't have to wait as long for the coming of what's next.

Congratulations on finishing another exceptional, and I hope, award-winning series. Congratulations on your +1 achievement on adding a child to your family. Sins really leveled up Last Stand, and I loved Last Stand. Looking forward to the next Wreckers/Transformers adventure that you cook up.
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1801782)
Posted by Randomhero on June 29th, 2016 @ 10:37am CDT
The other day Nick posted on his blog why this series met with so many delays. Anyone interested please give it a read but fair warning it's very sad and he did not have to do this. His personal life is none of our business. I commend him for opening up. It shows how much he cares about this book and the fans

http://nickroche.blogspot.com
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1801796)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 29th, 2016 @ 10:52am CDT
Overall it was a good read.

Also: Look at Springers rear wheels in that last panel. There is a little spider in the wheel well. Tarantulas lives! And he's with his "son" basically so I suppose he is somewhat happy
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1801806)
Posted by 1984forever on June 29th, 2016 @ 11:19am CDT
Dr Va'al wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:And you must remember this: deviations was a one off. It only beat the ongoingings by a few hundred comics and it was a single. Singles should sell easily. the one and the only.


The post is great, and I agree. Just one note - even in single hardcopies, Deviations sold fewer copies.

Dr Va'al wrote:Sure, here. From Comichron.

March 2016
Transformers More Than Meets Eye 10,439
Transformers Deviations 9,196


On another note...

avisie wrote:I see the characters considering the consequences of war and their conduct during the conflict (maybe not Guzzle) and I feel that it is handled well. We have a shed load of new and interesting characters, the return of a fan favourite in Springer and even more intrigue and depth to the enigma that is Prowl.


Yes. This. Very well put, and spot on.
Review tomorroooooow! :D

MTMTE # 50 which was supposed to be released in FEB sold over 10,000. Deviations which was a March release, beat MTMTE #51 (8124) which was also released in March. 2000 readers lost in 2 weeks, wow. The whole SOTW is just another nail in the coffin.
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1801808)
Posted by Tigertrack on June 29th, 2016 @ 11:34am CDT
1984forever wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:And you must remember this: deviations was a one off. It only beat the ongoingings by a few hundred comics and it was a single. Singles should sell easily. the one and the only.


The post is great, and I agree. Just one note - even in single hardcopies, Deviations sold fewer copies.

Dr Va'al wrote:Sure, here. From Comichron.

March 2016
Transformers More Than Meets Eye 10,439
Transformers Deviations 9,196


On another note...

avisie wrote:I see the characters considering the consequences of war and their conduct during the conflict (maybe not Guzzle) and I feel that it is handled well. We have a shed load of new and interesting characters, the return of a fan favourite in Springer and even more intrigue and depth to the enigma that is Prowl.


Yes. This. Very well put, and spot on.
Review tomorroooooow! :D

MTMTE # 50 which was supposed to be released in FEB sold over 10,000. Deviations which was a March release, beat MTMTE #51 (8124) which was also released in March. 2000 readers lost in 2 weeks, wow. The whole SOTW is just another nail in the coffin.


I'm going to disagree, but certainly you can have your opinion!
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1801810)
Posted by Randomhero on June 29th, 2016 @ 11:42am CDT
Tigertrack wrote:
1984forever wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:And you must remember this: deviations was a one off. It only beat the ongoingings by a few hundred comics and it was a single. Singles should sell easily. the one and the only.


The post is great, and I agree. Just one note - even in single hardcopies, Deviations sold fewer copies.

Dr Va'al wrote:Sure, here. From Comichron.

March 2016
Transformers More Than Meets Eye 10,439
Transformers Deviations 9,196


On another note...

avisie wrote:I see the characters considering the consequences of war and their conduct during the conflict (maybe not Guzzle) and I feel that it is handled well. We have a shed load of new and interesting characters, the return of a fan favourite in Springer and even more intrigue and depth to the enigma that is Prowl.


Yes. This. Very well put, and spot on.
Review tomorroooooow! :D

MTMTE # 50 which was supposed to be released in FEB sold over 10,000. Deviations which was a March release, beat MTMTE #51 (8124) which was also released in March. 2000 readers lost in 2 weeks, wow. The whole SOTW is just another nail in the coffin.


I'm going to disagree, but certainly you can have your opinion!


Don't respond to his comments tiger. He's hust here to troll. Like all IDW threads. Just ignore him
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1801812)
Posted by Va'al on June 29th, 2016 @ 11:57am CDT
Randomhero wrote:The other day Nick posted on his blog why this series met with so many delays. Anyone interested please give it a read but fair warning it's very sad and he did not have to do this. His personal life is none of our business. I commend him for opening up. It shows how much he cares about this book and the fans

http://nickroche.blogspot.com


I linked to that in the review too, and we've had it floating about the thread as well - but well worth the read. :)

I agree with the cautions.
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1801817)
Posted by Tigertrack on June 29th, 2016 @ 12:03pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:Don't respond to his comments tiger. He's hust here to troll. Like all IDW threads. Just ignore him


Thanks Rh, I lurk more than I post lately, and I read a lot from you guys that I enjoy, and I see others coming in too that offer great ideas to consider and things that I have missed.

I've seen 1984's work too. I can see where some of his beliefs are coming from, even if I don't agree with everything. I know he is staunch in his feelings and opinion...unwavering, and that's cool for him. I understand that IDW doesn't do everything that I want with the characters and plots as well, and thus can relate to that piece.


Look forward to hearing your response to SOTW Randomhero!
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1801818)
Posted by 1984forever on June 29th, 2016 @ 12:05pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:
Tigertrack wrote:
1984forever wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:And you must remember this: deviations was a one off. It only beat the ongoingings by a few hundred comics and it was a single. Singles should sell easily. the one and the only.


The post is great, and I agree. Just one note - even in single hardcopies, Deviations sold fewer copies.

Dr Va'al wrote:Sure, here. From Comichron.

March 2016
Transformers More Than Meets Eye 10,439
Transformers Deviations 9,196


On another note...

avisie wrote:I see the characters considering the consequences of war and their conduct during the conflict (maybe not Guzzle) and I feel that it is handled well. We have a shed load of new and interesting characters, the return of a fan favourite in Springer and even more intrigue and depth to the enigma that is Prowl.


Yes. This. Very well put, and spot on.
Review tomorroooooow! :D

MTMTE # 50 which was supposed to be released in FEB sold over 10,000. Deviations which was a March release, beat MTMTE #51 (8124) which was also released in March. 2000 readers lost in 2 weeks, wow. The whole SOTW is just another nail in the coffin.


I'm going to disagree, but certainly you can have your opinion!


Don't respond to his comments tiger. He's hust here to troll. Like all IDW threads. Just ignore him
People are only trolls here when they disagree with the masses it seems.

Anyways I believe that SOTW could have been salvaged as late as #5 if IDW stopped paying all staff working on the book. People are more creative when they're hungry.
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1801824)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 29th, 2016 @ 12:14pm CDT
1984forever wrote:MTMTE # 50 which was supposed to be released in FEB sold over 10,000. Deviations which was a March release, beat MTMTE #51 (8124) which was also released in March. 2000 readers lost in 2 weeks, wow. The whole SOTW is just another nail in the coffin.

Again, those are american hard copies only. No international nor online sales. And people may like to buy hard copies of more memorable issues (since it was #50 and such).

As for sins, I think it turned out to be a good book. Last Stand was still in wartime and was supposed to be a big fight. This was more dealing with what happened during the war and the consequences of the actions. It wasn't a real evil villain like Overlord, but more of a complex villain and some antagonists that were geared more towards doing what they thought was right than going against the actual heroes.

And the pages with Springer and Tarantulas where the words were being left out was very cool and well done
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1801830)
Posted by Tigertrack on June 29th, 2016 @ 12:29pm CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:
1984forever wrote:MTMTE # 50 which was supposed to be released in FEB sold over 10,000. Deviations which was a March release, beat MTMTE #51 (8124) which was also released in March. 2000 readers lost in 2 weeks, wow. The whole SOTW is just another nail in the coffin.

Again, those are american hard copies only. No international nor online sales. And people may like to buy hard copies of more memorable issues (since it was #50 and such).

As for sins, I think it turned out to be a good book. Last Stand was still in wartime and was supposed to be a big fight. This was more dealing with what happened during the war and the consequences of the actions. It wasn't a real evil villain like Overlord, but more of a complex villain and some antagonists that were geared more towards doing what they thought was right than going against the actual heroes.

And the pages with Springer and Tarantulas where the words were being left out was very cool and well done


I can't wait to read it again, where it's not the review copy on my ipad. Looks like I'll pick up the hard copy tomorrow, but yeah, very well said. Overlord was over the top, and the Wreckers were all wrecking it and stuff. But now Mesothulias, he's a good guy gone bad so to speak, messed up by what he did in the war in the name of supposed friendship and science, dealing with betrayal (not well), after it was all done.

I may want a Prowl who is much more worthy of being a hero (from my childhood eyes), which Springer thankfully still is in this series, but the way it is all written and put together makes it feel real. Guzzle and Kup's reactions to their manipulations were also noteworthy... and something you did not see in Last Stand, or even coming based on their relationship in last stand.

;)^
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1801838)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on June 29th, 2016 @ 12:50pm CDT
I dunno why I stuck with this series. I try so hard to find a modern Transformers comic I enjoy but IDW's stuff just doesn't do it for me at all. Regeneration One, despite it's flaws, was the only thing they've published that I really got into and a lot of that was probably just down to it being a continuation of Marvel (though the US and not my preferred UK version). I think I mainly got this cos it had a new Carnivac in it but I dunno. It's just not for me.
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1801840)
Posted by Tigertrack on June 29th, 2016 @ 12:54pm CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:I dunno why I stuck with this series. I try so hard to find a modern Transformers comic I enjoy but IDW's stuff just doesn't do it for me at all. Regeneration One, despite it's flaws, was the only thing they've published that I really got into and a lot of that was probably just down to it being a continuation of Marvel (though the US and not my preferred UK version). I think I mainly got this cos it had a new Carnivac in it but I dunno. It's just not for me.


Hmm... I'm currently re-reading all the previous Marvel and UK stuff. As I've seen more ways to have the characters interact with each other, the new writing is so much more 'realistic' as far as dialogue and actions go.

I did enjoy REGEN. Are you looking for Simon Furman writing to come back? Did you like any of the previous IDW Furman written stuff? Did you like Costa's stuff?
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1801951)
Posted by avisie on June 29th, 2016 @ 8:19pm CDT
Absolutely loved this issue; and the series as a whole. Tied up things pretty nicely and I'm glad that we still have Springer and Impactor with us. Gonna be interesting to see what Impactor and the Mayhems get up too and I was very satisfied to finally get some closure on Guzzle's vedettas. Artwork was awesome, as usual and the last page gave me such a rare and warm feeling that I'm still smiling an hour later. This series has jumped right into my top 5 TF stories and I think it's a great companion/sequel to LSOTW.

Huge respect to Mr Roche for producing such high quality work at such a testing time for him and his family.

Please,please let their be a next one. Like Springer says, their lives have to go back to being 'normal' at some point!
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1803994)
Posted by Va'al on July 8th, 2016 @ 12:39pm CDT
Are there any questions, on the series or the issue, that people would like the Mainframes bunch to discuss on a podcast? There is *A Lot* to work with here, but I'm curious about other points of view on this book!
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1804023)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 8th, 2016 @ 2:35pm CDT
2 things:

1) Guzzle finally going for his vengeance against Kup

2) Where will the "Survivors" go from here? Are we headed towards a Survivors storyline?
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1804038)
Posted by Va'al on July 8th, 2016 @ 2:55pm CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:2 things:

1) Guzzle finally going for his vengeance against Kup

2) Where will the "Survivors" go from here? Are we headed towards a Survivors storyline?


A certain R word was used, too... let's see if there's some sort of ..evolution to follow. :-$
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1804050)
Posted by RevTibe on July 8th, 2016 @ 3:38pm CDT
Couple of discussion points;

Roche half-jokingly mentioned that it was tough writing a sequel on account of all the characters who bit the dust in Last Stand. Following from that, what aspects of Sins seem like lessons learned from Last Stand? (The stronger sequel hooks being the most obvious example.)

Thoughts on how Sins was integrated into the main IDW storyline? Perhaps some of you would have preferred more or less integration?

More generally speaking, this is the third path IDW has taken to introducing Beast Wars characters to a G1 continuity (the other two being via colony, or that they're normal Cybertronians a la Rhinox and Rattrap). Thoughts on the three paths, including BW characters in a G1 era story etc?
Re: IDW Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5 Review #SinsOfTheWreckers (1804065)
Posted by Va'al on July 8th, 2016 @ 4:18pm CDT
Those are EXCELLENT points, thank you RevTibe!

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Decepticon Viper Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 02 Deluxe Class Movie 3 Decepticon Stinger" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Megatron and Doomshot" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
Twincast / Podcast #268:
"Call Me 2020"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers 3 Dark of the Moon Movie Commander Class Ironhide" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers HUB Dark Of The Moon Cyberverse: MEGATRON (Unopened) Series 1 003" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series MPM-7 Bumblebee Hasbro Takara Tomy New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers IRONWORKS Earthrise War for Cybertron Trilogy Hasbro brand new" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Masterpiece Movie Series MPM-11 AUTOBOT RATCHET Takara Tomy" on EBAY
Buy "Vintage 1985 G1 Transformers - Devastator Scrapper Payloader - Near Complete" on EBAY
Buy "NEW Hasbro DOUBLECROSSER Transformers WFC Earthrise BattleMaster Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Vintage G1 Transformers Scrapper 1984" on EBAY