IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO

IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO

Monday, July 4th, 2016 2:49am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 18,980

This week we see another issue of the new IDW Publishing ongoing, Transformers: Till All Are One, looking at the life on Cybertron in the new sort of unified world - check out the full preview below, via Newsarama, and head back on Wednesday for the Seibertron.com review!

Transformers: Till All Are One #2
Mairghread Scott (w) • Sara Pitre-Durocher (a & c)
PANIC ON THE STREETS OF CYBERTRON! As STARSCREAM’S secret police continue on their rampage, IRONHIDE is caught between the BADGLESS and a population looking for retribution!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
CYBERTRON takes center stage—can STARSCREAM hold on while power slips through his fingers?
Fan favorite character WINDBLADE tries to keep the peace!
Part of IDW’s month-long variant cover program, celebrating the return of ROM!
Variant cover by Carlos Valenzuela!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO

Credit(s): IDW, Newsarama

Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803106)
Posted by Rainmaker on July 4th, 2016 @ 3:17am CDT
Dr Va'al wrote:Concepts!

Why couldn't they have looked like this in CW?

Can anybody identify the white robot yet? (The one that looks like Obsidian?)

:MAXIMAL:
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803107)
Posted by Va'al on July 4th, 2016 @ 5:24am CDT
Raintime Rainmaker wrote:Can anybody identify the white robot yet? (The one that looks like Obsidian?)

:MAXIMAL:

Which one do you mean? The one on the cover in the thumbnail? (I can't think of any other white robots in those pages..)

If so, that is ROM, part of the cross-branding promotional covers, and nothing to do with the story itself so far. :)
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803112)
Posted by Randomhero on July 4th, 2016 @ 6:43am CDT
Raintime Rainmaker wrote:
Dr Va'al wrote:Concepts!

Why couldn't they have looked like this in CW?

Can anybody identify the white robot yet? (The one that looks like Obsidian?)

:MAXIMAL:

Because they're toys?
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803113)
Posted by BumbleDouche on July 4th, 2016 @ 6:53am CDT
There's something unusually beautiful about that first cover by Sara... Windblade looks as though she's made of porcelain or something, it's great!
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803652)
Posted by Va'al on July 6th, 2016 @ 11:50am CDT
Mobbing Along
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

Yyup

Story

We're back on Cybertron once more, as the second issue of the new Transformers: Till All Are One ongoing series from IDW Publishing hits the stands (be they digital or physical) - and there is little time lost since last month's issue, as the streets boil, the 'law' is questioned, and Starscream looks on, apprehensive.

In his own way

We had already seen Ironhide as being one of the major players in the first issue, but it feels like he's more of an instrument of the new orders trying to establish themselves than anything fully agent - though time will tell on this front. He is charismatic, and his dialogue works better now that emotion runs a little higher, too.

See? Charming

Who really gets the spotlight this time round though, are the Combaticons, with Onslaught and Blastoff in particular hogging all of the spotlight. Mairghread Scott has not only tapped into their 'original' writing, but has given them an extra spin in the new post-colonial, post-war, post-combiner, and the interactions all show their individual voices, in both clash and rapport.

Con-raderie?

While Starscream is a pleasure to read in this new take on his dry approach to life, the weariness and edge to his voice is palpable, and an interesting way to see where it might all go. Add that to the fact that Obsidian is obviously planning things with Elita One, and you got yourself the political intrigue we were (/I was) looking for. More thoughts below.

Art

In how many ways can one Starscream be depicted as bored, despondent, scheming and trying to feign superiority? Sara Pitre-Durocher manages quite a few, with a truly entertaining and impressive array of facial expressions. That, and some really effectively used cinematographic techniques in the more fraught discussion and scenes, create a palpable sense of underlying tension across the whole book - as there should well be.

Mob. Tense

Much like last issue, again, Priscilla Tramontano bring some clean, crisp colouring to the linework, and gives some nice depth to the larger crowd scenes, picking out details where needed, and making the mob more mob-like on the other side of the coin. The glow of the various optics is a nice touch, too, and one I keep going back to admire.

New Instagram Filter - DOWNLOAD NOW

Tom B. Long, despite not having the space to have too much fun with the fonts, does a great job, and my quibbles with last month's issue are nowhere to be found this time. I have also tried showing off the multiple covers in previous stories, with the regular, and powerful Pitre-Durocher Windblade taking the main stage, followed by her collaboration with Thomas Teyowisonte Deer on the ROM variant, and finally, this review's thumbnail variant, by Carlos Valenzuela.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Allow me an excursus: I have some ideological concerns with the direction that some of the story is taking, especially in terms of handling powers and justice systems - trying not to spoil anything here - but am also willing to see how it's employed in the larger picture. The political drama being set up (the multiple stages, even) are promising something fairly big, and I don't just mean another combiner.

While a little slower than the previous issue, this month's TAAO brings the set-up that the new status quo on Cybertron probably needs, from a fictional standpoint, and it does it well; it also manages to sneak in a number of issues that can easily be found in our own reality, and that is where I am really interested in their handling and development, hoping for a critical evaluation of sorts, really. Plus, it all looks So Good.

. :RID-BOTS: :RID-BOTS: :RID-BOTS: ½ out of :RID-BOTS: :RID-BOTS: :RID-BOTS: :RID-BOTS: :RID-BOTS:
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803658)
Posted by Randomhero on July 6th, 2016 @ 12:15pm CDT
I liked this issue but the 4 page prelude was my favorite. It's four pages that explains how GI Joe and MASK are in this universe and its makes complete sense. I read it and said "alright that works for me"
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803831)
Posted by Randomhero on July 7th, 2016 @ 2:15pm CDT
Did no one else read this it is there just nothing to discuss about it?
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803918)
Posted by Va'al on July 8th, 2016 @ 3:56am CDT
I read it! :P
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803922)
Posted by Ironhidensh on July 8th, 2016 @ 4:20am CDT
Randomhero wrote:Did no one else read this it is there just nothing to discuss about it?

With revolution coming, I've kinda lost interest in the comics.
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803925)
Posted by Va'al on July 8th, 2016 @ 4:30am CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:

With revolution coming, I've kinda lost interest in the comics.

I think that's not ideal right now, there's definitely good stuff happening before the event hits. I mean, I get what you're saying, but I'm still sticking to it until it burns (if it does, that is).

I may have to go update the Revolution thread, actually.. :-?
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803940)
Posted by Randomhero on July 8th, 2016 @ 7:24am CDT
Revolution should not be anyone's reason to stop reading the comics. Like I've said and others have, there is a preview story in TAAO and it's good! It makes sense! Please people! Have faith. This isn't marvel and DC with over a dozen editors that don't follow they're own stuff. It's a small group of people that are communicating and making this work.

People are so worked up about MTMTE getting ruined and James has said so many times "stop worrying, I'm still writing what I always had plans for"
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803980)
Posted by Sunstar on July 8th, 2016 @ 11:37am CDT

I don't think bumblebee is a hallucination, I am starting to think he is actually there, as a spectre, trying to help Starscream rule their world. I am liking the artwork.

I am curious as to where this comic goes, I almost feel like Starscream is dying.
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803987)
Posted by Randomhero on July 8th, 2016 @ 12:04pm CDT
Sunstar wrote:I can see the sort of world weary of Starscream. I am not sure if it is why the artist seems to draw Starscream with his head frequently tilted to the right - this lends an extremely fatigued sense.

The head tilt is actually a thing with starscream. He does it a lot in fiction

It's a sign of arrogance
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803989)
Posted by Sunstar on July 8th, 2016 @ 12:10pm CDT
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803990)
Posted by Randomhero on July 8th, 2016 @ 12:15pm CDT
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803995)
Posted by Va'al on July 8th, 2016 @ 12:44pm CDT
Sunstar wrote:Yeah, that as it may be, this is not the same. he has life in those pics, he lacks life in the comic. its as if his head is too heavy to hold and he just wants to lay down and die type position. There is no life or power in his drawings. Only just extreme fatigue.

I agree on the fatigue (the whole point of this issue, as I hoped to highlight in the review, was that he's kind of had enough of things - he caught the car, now he's getting bored of it) but I disagree on the lack of life or dynamic art. I think both Sarah Stone and Sara Pitre Durocher have had and are having a lot of fun with the expressive elements of the body language that these characters can have.

Look at him sitting into his place at the Council - look at how weary and tired he looks:

Then compare to his nonchalant pose at the beginning of the issue:

Starscream has always been a favourite for fan art, too, and - on my part - I see the appeal is in the 'aloof', 'not caring', 'bad boy' vibes that his character has brought to the fiction. His power is sleek, subtle and lean, he is not a bulky, strong, imposing Megatron, in that sense.

Randomhero wrote:Those are just two quick examples I found online. I just typed in starscream in Google and there's examples of him tilting his head. It's a small thing not many notice or discuss. He did it even back in 1986 when he tossed megatron out of astrotrain. He said "how it pains me to do this" and then tilts his head.

And I quote this as an example. There is so much art about Starscream tilting, and one panel in particular in issue two captured his character wonderfully, I thought (same tilt and position as first image I just used, but look at the overhaul that comes from the expression change and bold font):

Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1803998)
Posted by Kurona on July 8th, 2016 @ 1:16pm CDT
One thing to comment on,

This is a complete lie. Screamer's totally hot for Onslaught
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1804009)
Posted by Sunstar on July 8th, 2016 @ 1:50pm CDT
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1804037)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 8th, 2016 @ 2:54pm CDT
I loved the Ironhide bits. He is my character to watch for this storyline. Enjoying him being back in the spotlight
Re: IDW Transformers: Till All Are One #2 Full Preview #TAAO (1804039)
Posted by Va'al on July 8th, 2016 @ 2:56pm CDT
Sunstar wrote:I am not saying its drawn with a lack of life.... HE has a distinct lack of life... its drawn well. Other pics of him shows intensity of life, but he has that sort of intense depression. the art is well done and portrays his exhaustion.

Oooooh, I get you now, sorry! Misread your post. :D

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Starscream Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Bulkhead Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Deluxe Class Arcee" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Deluxe Class Bumblebee First Edition" on EBAY
Buy "GI Joe 25th Transformers SDCC SOUNDWAVE & BLASTER Backpack 6 Cassettes 2012 2013" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects WFC-GS01 Voyager G2 Combat Megatron NEW Read" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Fall of Cybertron Voyager Grimlock MISB 2012" on EBAY
Buy "2016 SDCC EXCLUSIVE HASBRO TRANSFORMERS VS GI JOE POWERGLIDE SOUNDWAVE ZARTAN" on EBAY