Friday, May 20th, 2016 12:47pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Event News, People News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 24,283

From the Facebook page for UK Transformers and G.I. Joe event Roll Out Roll Call, we have news of a shared variant cover for the last issue in the IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe series, coming to an end this month with number #13. Check out the full piece by Robert Atkins and Joana Lafuente and more info below!

Roll Out Roll Call, The UK Transformers, G.I. Joe & Action Force Show in partnership with Discount Comic Book Service are proud to announce a shared cover variant for IDW Publishing Transformers Vs G.I. Joe #13. This amazing wraparound crossover cover by Robert Atkins Art and colours by Joana Lafuente features a tribute to the many characters played by our guests Neil Ross and Morgan Lofting. This issue will be a double sized. This wraparound variant cover edition has a print run of only 500, of which 250 will be available at Discount Comic Book Service and 250 from Roll Out Roll Call on July 8th-10th at London Heathrow. Book your ticket now: http://www.allthecoolstuff.co.uk/#!roll ... ll-1/yurd5

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins/Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover

Credit(s): ROROC

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1799730)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 22nd, 2016 @ 8:28pm CDT
Thanks to Apple iTunes we get the preview for the final issue in the Transformers vs GI Joe comic book series. This issue will settle it all: the fate of Cybertron, the fate of the remaining humans, the face of the Autobots and Decepticons as we know it. Check it out, and sound off in the discussion forum on what you think of this big finale!

THE END IS NIGH! Final battle erupts—the forces of G.I. JOE and the AUTOBOTS head-to-head (or head-to-toe, depending on the size difference) with the DECEPTICOBRA alliance! The fate of the universe hangs on every decision!

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1801252)
Posted by Va'al on June 27th, 2016 @ 5:09pm CDT
In a week of endings, we get another chapter conclusions from IDW Publishing's Transformers output, via Newsarama. Below, you will find the last issue in the Tom Scioli/John Barber creation that was Transformers vs G.I. Joe, issue #13, as everything comes to a close. Make sure to head back to Seibertron.com later this week for a review, too!

Transformers vs. G.I. JOE #13: Armageddon
Tom Scioli & John Barber (w) • Tom Scioli (a & c)
FC • 48 pages • $7.99

Bullet points:
One of the most talked-about comics of the 21st century—see what everybody’s been yelling about!
Visionary writer-artist Tom Scioli’s canvas has never been so big!
Far-flung cosmic action in the scintillating Scioli style!
The epic conclusion!

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1801411)
Posted by Flashwave on June 28th, 2016 @ 10:16am CDT
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1801842)
Posted by Tigertrack on June 29th, 2016 @ 12:56pm CDT
Flashwave wrote:13 huh? That's fitting, given historical significance of the number in American History... and the Transformers, come to think of it.

US History yes, but TFs? How so?
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1801843)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 29th, 2016 @ 12:58pm CDT
Tigertrack wrote:

US History yes, but TFs? How so?

The 13 Primes, among other things
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1801845)
Posted by Tigertrack on June 29th, 2016 @ 1:04pm CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:
Tigertrack wrote:

US History yes, but TFs? How so?

The 13 Primes, among other things

As soon as I saw a reply, I was like duh, the other things, I'd have to dig into, but that should have been obvious, yes.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1801855)
Posted by Tigertrack on June 29th, 2016 @ 1:29pm CDT
EULOGY FOR A CROSSOVER

Official Synopsis:

Lots of contributors listed for this issue:

Welcome friends and board mates, readers and lurkers. Today we celebrate the series that was Transformers Versus G.I. Joe. With issue number 13, this out-of-the-box, discussion causing series, has come to its final Earthly conclusion.

My name is Tigertack, I’ve read Transformers and G.I. Joe fiction (and a lot of other comic book and narrative book fiction as well) since I was but a young lad, borrowing comic books from my cousin Dan’s vast collections when 4-H had ended, and from the libraries that my mother worked at for one of her many jobs. Many of you know me from Seibertron as a former newsie, news admin, and Botcon attendee, sometime podcaster and reviewer.

After TF #54, this is not what I expected under the mask to look like.

Transformers Versus G.I. Joe was a series assigned to me review, mainly I think because Va’al thought that I needed to be tortured, maybe because no one else would do it…but more likely he wanted to challenge me, and as ‘the-resident-active-staff-member-who-is-also-involved-with-comics-and-enjoys-G.I.Joe-too’ it fell to me to try to relate to anyone reading these reviews about the latest iteration of a series that historically has never been what was really desired, but could be relied upon to be very different from the last version.

White haired and short-buzz cut...Race Bannon?

And so we have this interation, written, drawn, lettered, and colored by Tom Scioli all by himself, with John Barber editing and offering advice here and there. A dream come true for a creator who loves both franchises and their toys and comics… and it shows!

The next Billy figure to need an FSS version. Or maybe they could make a whole Scioli inspired set.

The series though, immediately caused a lot of water cooler talk, tweets and posts, as it looked and read like no previous TFvsGIJOE story ever really had. It was Tom’s universe and he was making it what he wanted, all the while paying homage to the people who came before him like Larry Hama, Simon Furman, and Bob Budiansky, and using other media influences that ranged from comics like Watchmen, Kirby drawn and written materials like New Gods and other works, to movies like Rocky and Firestarter.

And what a world it was: Decepticobra alliances, GI JOE and Autobots fighting then working together, Earth getting eaten by Seibertron (har!), Scarlett and Snake Eyes becoming headmasters, Megatron getting a taste for human flesh, drug addicted Autobots, greenery added to Cybertron, robot invasions and government reactions, a general who never wears his cap straight, Cobra La, the Death of Optimus Prime, and Megatron wishing to dissolve the sun for its energy. ENERGY is a fantastic way to describe the series, as there was always something new thing different, something alive about the series, and it always brought a nervous, excited energy to the reader.

I always found it hard to write about this series because most of the time, I felt as many did…there was this imaginary line drawn and you were usually either on one side or the other of it as far as this series was concerned: you liked the creativity, newness and energy involved with the series, or it had the polar opposite effect on you, and you simply hated it. The side I started on was the side that hated it, the art being the biggest turn off to me as a former artist in training, I knew I could do better and it irked me. But as the series progressed it was not enough to just complain about the art and the ‘weirdness’ that was happening. I had to look for something to appreciate, a way to enjoy it. And I did. I liked it for its differences, its surprises, its always making its own way, and telling its own story while paying homage to so many great influences.

"Always in the eye of the beholder, this series has been."

And so, in conclusion, we celebrate the life of this series, and its final issue…which even though it is the final issue, still manages to pack in surprises and homages as it is ending. It’s a double issue and its packed until the very last page. I know many of you either read it and enjoyed its Lord of the Rings ending, its creative use of G.I. Joe Retaliation and Transformers movie references, the use of previous classic Joe and TF comic panels, and its downright original Atlas (it ain’t Unicron!), the always perfect hair of Billy, the use of Ultra Magnus and his white cab, and the marriage that you just could not have predicted. In all its wild ENERGY laden pages it never-stopped, until it had to stop.

This was one of my favorite pages...ever!

Movie Megs ultimate combiner

With these last words, I say that we celebrate the passing of this iteration of Transformers Versus G.I. Joe, and laud its creator and collaborators, its inspirations and its ENERGY. We can truly say that there never was a series like this, and there most likely will never be a series like this again (except in 2025 when we see ‘Shipwreck Space Pirate’). Kudos Mr. Scioli and Mr. Barber.

For the next installment of Transformers and G.I.Joe action we'll see what the new 'Revolution' has for us. Thanks for reading.

’Til All Are One! Yo Joe!

Revolution?

Some random images I had wanted to use until the review went a different way.

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1802022)
Posted by DaRonin on June 29th, 2016 @ 11:07pm CDT
I loved this series. Sometimes it's made me laugh, like with the Joe Pets, sometimes it's made me sad, like in Scarlet's solo issue where she was brainwashed into feeling she had a normal suburban life, sometimes it's made me puzzled, like in Destro's ancestory issue or Lt Falcon's solo issue, and sometimes it's made me cheer with the fan service.

One thing the book has never been was boring. It's been gripping and interesting from the word go. I cannot ever remember a comic like this. It's been it's own beast, it's own creation, it's own look, feel, and status quo, from issue 0. There is no book that could get away with the sheer insanity this book has, and still get another issue. So yes, I salute this book, I salute it's ambition, its grandeur, it's vision, it's style. It didn't cater or pander or change itself to appease the critics. To paraphrase Sinatra "It did what it had to do, and saw it through without exemption."

And yeah, that wedding invite that so shamelessly aped from the 80's wolverine mini. Yeah, if ever there was a book that could get away with so many types of crazy in one panel, it was this one.

Here's to the Jotobot alliance. Yo Joe and roll out.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1802023)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on June 29th, 2016 @ 11:11pm CDT
I've gotta say...this series was a ride. An absolutely slaggin' insane ride, but a ride nonetheless. To be honest...I'm sad to see it end.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1803087)
Posted by RevTibe on July 3rd, 2016 @ 11:22pm CDT

(They advertise 50% off, but when I applied it I got 55% off. Neato.)
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1803104)
Posted by Va'al on July 4th, 2016 @ 2:55am CDT
Fellow Seibertronian RevTibe brings us some more IDW Publishing Transformers comics news, in the shape of a hefty discount on the whole Tom Scioli run of Transformers vs G.I. Joe - just after the series ends! Check out more details below and here, and head to ComiXology to read one of the wildest takes on the shared universe of the 80s.

RevTibe wrote:Submitted this as news, but probably best to also post it since it's time sensitive; Transformers vs. GI Joe's got a 50%(ish) discount on Comixology until the 5th! Just enter JOE at checkout. You can get the entire series for a bit less than $15, great opportunity to jump in if you've been on the fence.

(They advertise 50% off, but when I applied it I got 55% off. Neato.)

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1803139)
Posted by RevTibe on July 4th, 2016 @ 11:33am CDT
Forgot to mention; the discount also applies to other GI Joe comics!

(If you're picking up the series, you'll also want to grab the Free Comic Book Day issue of Robots in Disguise - don't worry, it's still free. It includes a one-page strip that slots between Transformers vs. GI Joe issues 6 and 7. Introduces a minor character in an entertainingly quirky manner.)

It's absolutely criminal they aren't calling this the "Fourth of Joe-ly" sale.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1829330)
Posted by Va'al on September 29th, 2016 @ 1:53am CDT
In other IDW comics news, we have a new listing on online retailer Amazon.com for the Tom Scioli and John Barber series Transformers vs G.I. Joe, collected in a new, oversized The Quintessential Collection! The new edition probably adds some extras too, bulking it up to 420 pages and $49.99, and might explain all the recent Scioli Twitter activity featuring Cybertronian art. Due for release in March 2017, check out more info below on this oversized hardcover book!

Earth makes contact with an alien race–and G.I. JOE is on the front lines! But, when the Transformers arrive–well, let’s just say you’ve never seen Transformers vs G.I. JOE like this! This oversized deluxe hardcover collects all 13 issues, including commentary and extras by creators Tom Scioli and John Barber!
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1829368)
Posted by Microraptor on September 29th, 2016 @ 6:45am CDT
More like the QuintessSONessetial amiright!?
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1829375)
Posted by zodconvoy on September 29th, 2016 @ 6:58am CDT
Yooooo that is awesome! The series was designed for an Absolute Edition!
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1829391)
Posted by jogunwarrior on September 29th, 2016 @ 8:14am CDT
If someone were to pay me $49.99, I would probably read this.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1831337)
Posted by Va'al on October 7th, 2016 @ 2:01am CDT
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1856935)
Posted by Va'al on February 3rd, 2017 @ 12:47pm CST
IDW Publishing have started promoting some of their upcoming books, and caught in said promotion is the new project by visionary comics creator Tom Scioli, of the Transformers vs G.I. Joe limited series: the comic book adaptation of a movie that never was - Transformers vs G.I. Joe The Movie! The Comic Book Adaptation of a Movie Version of a Comic Book (Seriously) You Never Knew You Needed will be out in March 2017.

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1856937)
Posted by Va'al on February 3rd, 2017 @ 12:50pm CST
Please, I await all the fanrage. It nourishes me. :michaelbay:
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #13 Atkins / Lafuente Roll Out Roll Call Variant Cover (1856943)
Posted by o.supreme on February 3rd, 2017 @ 1:21pm CST
No fanrage, it did remind me though that I have to unload the comics of this series I previously collected. If anyone wants the complete series (Issues #0-13), plus 2 SDCC exclusive covers of #1, plus a couple of duplicates of other issues, PM me $70.00 USD -That is retail price, just looking to make back what the comics cost me, at no profit to myself. In fact I probably stand to lose a little because I'm willing to pay for shipping.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "TRANSFORMERS BOTCON 2013 MACHINE WARS SUNSTORM #A" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer Set- Blurr, Boulder, Chase" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Commander Class Megatron Figure Sealed AA173" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON WFC-S32 BLACKJACK & HYPERDRIVE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Powertrain & Highjump Siege War for Cybertron Micromaster" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers  Shattered Glass   #4  * First Print *    Cover A     NEW!!!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Commander Class Optimus Prime Figure Sealed Z943" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers WFC-S44 Siege Battlemasters Singe War for Cybertron Target" on EBAY