IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview

IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview

Tuesday, October 7th, 2014 5:38am CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 28,563

In other IDW Publishing news this week, we also have a preview for the return of the crackers comics crossover: Transformers vs GI Joe #3! Check out below the first handful of pages from the issue, and check back in with Seibertron.com later this week for a review.

Transformers VS G.I. JOE #3
Tom Scioli & John Barber (w) • Scioli (a & c)
CYBERTRON INFESTED! The Transformers’ homeworld is crawling with tiny green invaders from the planet Earth—the G.I. JOE team! Also this issue—Funeral for a Friend. Many AUTOBOTS and G.I. JOE soldiers have fallen in the line of duty—but you've never seen a send-off like this!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
WAKE THE DEAD!!! In 3-D!!!
Not actually in 3-D—but you will not believe your eyes! Guaranteed!
The biggest thing ever gets bigger!
Interconnected Variant Cover by Tom Scioli!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview

Credit(s): IDW Publishing

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1611499)
Posted by Optimizzy on October 7th, 2014 @ 8:15am CDT
oh man. I just cant like this art. sorry.

I'm sure there are people who do...for whatever reason, but it is, in a word, ugly.

I guess it has nostalgic value...it reminds me of the pictures I drew in 5th grade.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1611512)
Posted by dragons on October 7th, 2014 @ 8:46am CDT
Optimizzy wrote:oh man. I just cant like this art. sorry.

I was
Thinking I was only one don't like this style
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1611523)
Posted by Blozor on October 7th, 2014 @ 9:10am CDT
I think they're going for the early Marvel style of both comics.

However, why is Starscream like Underbase sized?
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1611559)
Posted by cruizerdave on October 7th, 2014 @ 10:14am CDT
This book just gets worse. I thought it would grow on me. NO. It's terrible. The art is terrible, the writing is terrible. Yeah, I know, it's intentional, but just because it's intentionally bad doesn't make it good.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1611563)
Posted by Flashwave on October 7th, 2014 @ 10:17am CDT
For that matter, why is the purple cyclops calling himself SOUNDwave
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1611583)
Posted by Siger on October 7th, 2014 @ 11:13am CDT
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1611597)
Posted by Darth Jumpy on October 7th, 2014 @ 11:51am CDT
Flashwave wrote:For that matter, why is the purple cyclops calling himself SOUNDwave

He isn't. Soundwave died in the first issue. Shockwave is avenging his death.

I still do not like the art style, but I do think the comic captures some of the goofiness and bizarreness of the cartoon series.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1611652)
Posted by Siger on October 7th, 2014 @ 2:34pm CDT
My bad, typo on Shockwave's name because I read Soundwave off of the panel too lol.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1611751)
Posted by TheCrookedMan on October 7th, 2014 @ 6:17pm CDT
This comic is fantastic. What if Steranko and Kirby worked on Transformers and G.I. Joe?
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1611767)
Posted by timcourtois on October 7th, 2014 @ 7:30pm CDT
I also hated the art style... until I downloaded issue #1 and read it. Then I feel like I began to "get" it. The art does some really interesting & fantastic things with perspective that's actually really skillful and unique. Once I started to enjoy that, I found myself appreciating the retro style more and more.

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with those who just don't like it. But there may be some of you for whom giving the book a read may actually change how you feel.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1611889)
Posted by morphobots on October 7th, 2014 @ 11:44pm CDT
Siger wrote:What the hell is up with the size? If Starscream transformed, he'd be 20x bigger than those jets falling into the sea. Same goes for Soundwave, they are all Godzilla sized?

Well, it's not like scale has ever mattered in this hobby. That being said . . . :shock: #-o :BANG_HEAD:
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1623155)
Posted by Va'al on November 19th, 2014 @ 3:34pm CST
They took a break, but the cosmic crossover of Transformers vs G.I. Joe comics is back soon, thanks to a preview up on iTunes. Expect the full preview and release to appear in the next two weeks, and check out the mirrored images from Mariel Romero's screenshots below!

THE WAR AT HOME! But whose home—and whose war?! Interstellar war has never been so cosmic! The G.I. JOE team faces the TRANSFORMERS—on Earth and Cybertron. Plus—just in time for Halloween… meet the OCTOBER GUARD!

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1624432)
Posted by Va'al on November 25th, 2014 @ 2:52am CST
Plenty of comics news this week from IDW Publishing! Everyone is writing and arting everything, as not only Angry Birds Transformers is out, but so are the new issue of Transformers vs G.I. Joe, MTMTE and the first issue of Drift: Empire of Stone - check out the preview for the cosmic comic by Scioli and Barber below!

Transformers VS G.I. JOE #4
Tom Scioli & John Barber (w) • Scioli (a & c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
The biggest crossover the cosmos has ever faced JUST KEEPS GETTING BIGGER!!!
Ask your retailer about the Tom Scioli connecting variant cover! Connects with the variants for #2 & #3 creating one big piece!

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1624931)
Posted by Va'al on November 26th, 2014 @ 4:49pm CST
Review is coming, by the way, for this one and issue #3 (which somehow never made it onto here).
I'm just a bit stuck with connection issues and time. :)
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1632515)
Posted by Va'al on December 23rd, 2014 @ 8:26am CST
There is no preview as such for this week's IDW Publishing release - the first collected trade volume of Transformers vs G.I. Joe - but you can still get to find out more about it by reading an interview with creators John Barber and Tom Scioli, courtesy of ComicsAlliance. Find some snippets below, and click on the link to read the full story - and maybe come back to Seibertron.com, so we may finish reviewing the two issues we've left behind!

ComicsAlliance: The amazing thing about Transformers vs. G.I. Joe for me as a reader is that it doesn’t feel like it should exist, and I mean that in the best way possible. It has this feeling that there’s no way this book should’ve been approved, because it’s so wild, raw and energetic. How did you get that feeling to come across in this comic?

Tom Scioli: I don’t know how you would get to that point with any kind of comic. Just from my perspective, I’ve been doing comics for such a long time and in such a way that’s very different from the normal career path for comics, so I don’t know how you replicate that. I don’t know how many other people are out there that would be able to have that mix of discipline and self-destructive chaotic impulse to get that. I don’t know, John? Do you have any perspective?

John Barber: To one degree or another, when you’re working on something that’s company-owned, you have to forget about that when you’re working on it, and I think that degree varies. The whole idea was to make something kind of weird, that went out the window at some point. There was probably a minute early on where Michael Kelly, the guy we work with at Hasbro as their Director of Global Publishing, called and he was like, “This isn’t exactly what we talked about.” He loves the book, but at some point, the idea was going to be safer. It’s not like there’s anything unsafe about this, either, but you want to be able to point at it and say “here are these two things that we put together to make one thing,” and I don’t think you can do that with our book. I think that’s what makes it interesting.

TS: I didn’t really know how it was going to turn out either. It’s a project where it’s like “yeah, what would this thing be?” I know that when we first talked about in the beginning, we had that very basic idea of a Jack Kirby take on this sort of thing, but when you sit down to actually make it, all these other opportunities open up. All these other creative things take over, and it outgrows that initial idea. But then it sort of comes back to it. Early on, I thought I wanted to do something more serious than just a straight Jack Kirby rip-roaring adventure, but then it turned into that kind of rip-roaring adventure.

[...]

CA: Along those same lines, I’m a much bigger fan of Joe than Transformers, so most of the Transformers comics that I’ve read have been crossovers with G.I. Joe, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that was structured like this, with the Joes going to Cybertron. Was that just an obvious thing that you’d never seen?

JB: That was there from the beginning. 100% of this comic is Tom at this point, and I don’t know what I’m doing anymore. I expect that one day, Tom will just stop emailing me.

TS: [Laughs] I’ll just send you the finish comic.

JB: Right. But every other Transformers/G.I. Joe comic, at least every one that I read, tried to drag Transformers to a realistic level and throw that into the G.I. Joe world. I thought the idea of blowing up G.I. Joe and making them science-fiction, having them live in the Transformers’ world, was there. If anything, Cybertron was the one thing I really wanted to do. But it obviously came out much cooler in the comic than I would’ve thought of.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1644987)
Posted by william-james88 on January 30th, 2015 @ 11:11pm CST
Here is the official solicit for the long awaited Transformers vs G.I. JOE #5, followed by a full preview found on Comic Alliance.

Transformers vs G.I. JOE #5
Tom Scioli & John Barber (w) • Scioli (a & c)
IT GETS CRAZIER! The biggest space battle ever grows to universal proportions! Will the G.I. JOE team and the AUTOBOTS make peace—before COBRA and the DECEPTICONS end the war… the bad way?!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

It should be shipping on February 11th.

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1645089)
Posted by Rated X on January 31st, 2015 @ 9:40am CST
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1645120)
Posted by Lord Manhammer '74 on January 31st, 2015 @ 11:38am CST
Rated X wrote:I just don't understand why people like this stuff. You don't see any "He-Man vs. Thundercats" or "Powerpuff Girls vs. My Little Pony" comics ?
:evil:
And the fact you don't see any is a crime in and of itself. :michaelbay:
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1645133)
Posted by dragons on January 31st, 2015 @ 12:16pm CST
Lord Manhammer '74 wrote:
:evil:
And the fact you don't see any is a crime in and of itself. :michaelbay:

[img]
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #3 Full Preview (1645167)
Posted by Rated X on January 31st, 2015 @ 2:19pm CST
dragons wrote:
Lord Manhammer '74 wrote:
:evil:
And the fact you don't see any is a crime in and of itself. :michaelbay:

[img]

Well Ill be damned....

Let me step outside and see if I can spot any pigs flying....

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Megatron and Doomshot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Tra Rid Warrior Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #253 - Danger Zone
"Danger Zone"
Posted: Sunday, June 21st, 2020

Buy "Transformers Rescue Bot, Brushfire ATV Action Figure Hasbro Playskool Heroes" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Rescue Bots Cody Burns Graham Burns Kade Burns Human Figure Lot (4)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Playskool Electronic Heatwave The Fire-Bot, Cody Burns" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Transformers - Bumblebee Chase Blades Heatwave" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Playskool Heroes Action Figure Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Playskool Heroes Transformers Blades the CopterBot + Optimus Prime ResBot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers generations Selects Lancer MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bot Brushfire ATV Action Figure Hasbro Playskool Heroes" on EBAY