IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview

IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview

Tuesday, November 25th, 2014 2:52am CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 29,853

Plenty of comics news this week from IDW Publishing! Everyone is writing and arting everything, as not only Angry Birds Transformers is out, but so are the new issue of Transformers vs G.I. Joe, MTMTE and the first issue of Drift: Empire of Stone - check out the preview for the cosmic comic by Scioli and Barber below!

Transformers VS G.I. JOE #4
Tom Scioli & John Barber (w) • Scioli (a & c)
THE WAR AT HOME! But whose home—and whose war?! Interstellar war has never been so cosmic! The G.I. JOE team faces the TRANSFORMERS—on Earth and Cybertron. Plus—just in time for Halloween… meet the OCTOBER GUARD!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
The biggest crossover the cosmos has ever faced JUST KEEPS GETTING BIGGER!!!
Ask your retailer about the Tom Scioli connecting variant cover! Connects with the variants for #2 & #3 creating one big piece!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview

Credit(s): IDW

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1624931)
Posted by Va'al on November 26th, 2014 @ 4:49pm CST
Review is coming, by the way, for this one and issue #3 (which somehow never made it onto here).
I'm just a bit stuck with connection issues and time. :)
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1632515)
Posted by Va'al on December 23rd, 2014 @ 8:26am CST
There is no preview as such for this week's IDW Publishing release - the first collected trade volume of Transformers vs G.I. Joe - but you can still get to find out more about it by reading an interview with creators John Barber and Tom Scioli, courtesy of ComicsAlliance. Find some snippets below, and click on the link to read the full story - and maybe come back to Seibertron.com, so we may finish reviewing the two issues we've left behind!

ComicsAlliance: The amazing thing about Transformers vs. G.I. Joe for me as a reader is that it doesn’t feel like it should exist, and I mean that in the best way possible. It has this feeling that there’s no way this book should’ve been approved, because it’s so wild, raw and energetic. How did you get that feeling to come across in this comic?

Tom Scioli: I don’t know how you would get to that point with any kind of comic. Just from my perspective, I’ve been doing comics for such a long time and in such a way that’s very different from the normal career path for comics, so I don’t know how you replicate that. I don’t know how many other people are out there that would be able to have that mix of discipline and self-destructive chaotic impulse to get that. I don’t know, John? Do you have any perspective?

John Barber: To one degree or another, when you’re working on something that’s company-owned, you have to forget about that when you’re working on it, and I think that degree varies. The whole idea was to make something kind of weird, that went out the window at some point. There was probably a minute early on where Michael Kelly, the guy we work with at Hasbro as their Director of Global Publishing, called and he was like, “This isn’t exactly what we talked about.” He loves the book, but at some point, the idea was going to be safer. It’s not like there’s anything unsafe about this, either, but you want to be able to point at it and say “here are these two things that we put together to make one thing,” and I don’t think you can do that with our book. I think that’s what makes it interesting.

TS: I didn’t really know how it was going to turn out either. It’s a project where it’s like “yeah, what would this thing be?” I know that when we first talked about in the beginning, we had that very basic idea of a Jack Kirby take on this sort of thing, but when you sit down to actually make it, all these other opportunities open up. All these other creative things take over, and it outgrows that initial idea. But then it sort of comes back to it. Early on, I thought I wanted to do something more serious than just a straight Jack Kirby rip-roaring adventure, but then it turned into that kind of rip-roaring adventure.

[...]

CA: Along those same lines, I’m a much bigger fan of Joe than Transformers, so most of the Transformers comics that I’ve read have been crossovers with G.I. Joe, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that was structured like this, with the Joes going to Cybertron. Was that just an obvious thing that you’d never seen?

JB: That was there from the beginning. 100% of this comic is Tom at this point, and I don’t know what I’m doing anymore. I expect that one day, Tom will just stop emailing me.

TS: [Laughs] I’ll just send you the finish comic.

JB: Right. But every other Transformers/G.I. Joe comic, at least every one that I read, tried to drag Transformers to a realistic level and throw that into the G.I. Joe world. I thought the idea of blowing up G.I. Joe and making them science-fiction, having them live in the Transformers’ world, was there. If anything, Cybertron was the one thing I really wanted to do. But it obviously came out much cooler in the comic than I would’ve thought of.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1644987)
Posted by william-james88 on January 30th, 2015 @ 11:11pm CST
Here is the official solicit for the long awaited Transformers vs G.I. JOE #5, followed by a full preview found on Comic Alliance.

Transformers vs G.I. JOE #5
Tom Scioli & John Barber (w) • Scioli (a & c)
IT GETS CRAZIER! The biggest space battle ever grows to universal proportions! Will the G.I. JOE team and the AUTOBOTS make peace—before COBRA and the DECEPTICONS end the war… the bad way?!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

It should be shipping on February 11th.

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1645089)
Posted by Rated X on January 31st, 2015 @ 9:40am CST
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1645120)
Posted by Lord Manhammer '74 on January 31st, 2015 @ 11:38am CST
Rated X wrote:I just don't understand why people like this stuff. You don't see any "He-Man vs. Thundercats" or "Powerpuff Girls vs. My Little Pony" comics ?
:evil:
And the fact you don't see any is a crime in and of itself. :michaelbay:
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1645133)
Posted by dragons on January 31st, 2015 @ 12:16pm CST
Lord Manhammer '74 wrote:
:evil:
And the fact you don't see any is a crime in and of itself. :michaelbay:

[img]
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1645167)
Posted by Rated X on January 31st, 2015 @ 2:19pm CST
dragons wrote:
Lord Manhammer '74 wrote:
:evil:
And the fact you don't see any is a crime in and of itself. :michaelbay:

[img]

Well Ill be damned....

Let me step outside and see if I can spot any pigs flying....
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1645188)
Posted by morphobots on January 31st, 2015 @ 4:00pm CST
The comeback by dragons and the response by Rated X is the best thing I've read all week. :lol:
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1649226)
Posted by Va'al on February 10th, 2015 @ 2:19pm CST
In Which Duke Drives Optimus Through a Sea of Quintessons
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

One Woman Army

Story

I realise we have fallen behind on reviewing this series, and we will come back to fill in on the missing issues of the first volume of Transformers vs G.I. Joe. However, after a decent hiatus, the cosmic series by Tom Scioli and John Barber is back with its fifth issue, and we're here to remind you how amazing it is!

Maximize!

We're on Earth and Cybertron, as the latter moves closer to the former at the hands of Megatron, and G.I. Joe and Cybertronians alike are attempting to deal with the impending catastrophe - although each in their own way, with suspicion, and not all plans are working together, at all.

Who nose what might happen

One of the main storylines we follow is that of Rodimus, as the attempts to regain control of Metroplex and the Autobot troops, his clash with one of the G1-est Grimlocks in a while, and the consequences of giant robot egos meeting each other's match, Megatron included, for the first time seen as potentially fallible.

Clash of Kings

The writing is fantastically scattered across the pages and cosmic stage that Scioli and Barber have set up, and even then, there is a lot more coherence than in the first couple of issues. The interactions and uncomfortable alliances between humans and Cybertronians lead to both amusing and fairly tense scenes, and definitely worth following around.

Art

Tom Scioli's double act as writer and artist still delivers in a fantastic correspondence between, arguably, intention and execution. He is not trying to do anything, he is not attempting to capture elements of *something* - this is his style, heavily influenced by early comics art, and it is something to amaze at, every time.

Have a Metropolygon

Every corner of every panel, even the round ones, has something going on, from the little tags identifying new characters to the Quintesson vinetacles, to the sheer amount on miniature scenes taking place across a single page, plus all the colour work, you can spend hours on an issue alone.

Three Are One

The addition of Chris Mowry's stellar lettering and design work make sure that all is in its place and with its own voice, too, and that the package matches the contents, with echoes of those comics art influences showing up in the book as book. Plus, to catch eyes from everywhere, we get an impressive array of covers by Scioli, Nick Pitarra/Megan Wilson on Soundwave and Slither and the thumbnailed Derek Charm [plus a slightly more questionable one by Jamie Tyndall/Ula Mos].

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

The marvellous incoherent cohesion of the multiple overlapping scripts and plots is what makes this series so appealing to many readers who are not generally into Transformers or G.I. Joe fictional universes. It's fine to get lost, we're actually invited to do so, and there's more to gain from it, if you want to.

Laughing one's head off

We get references to Transformers lore, battles of wit, humour and ridiculous amounts of action, and it still feels as though we're being pulled through a story that doesn't care whether we're paying attention or not - much like the rest of the universe. This is a series that does exactly what it wants, and what it wants is to have fun with the medium and the casts. We're along for the ride, so buckle up.

. :COBRA: :COBRA: :COBRA: :COBRA: out of :COBRA: :COBRA: :COBRA: :COBRA: :COBRA:
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1649283)
Posted by dragons on February 10th, 2015 @ 4:51pm CST

if art in comic diditn make feel i was something from newspaper comic i buy it but art turns me off i know saying can me differnt for transfromer toy but comics differnt entirly, and most of alien transfromers that are bigger than humans are same size, few feet taller in animte series there bigger twice there size of humans
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1649286)
Posted by Va'al on February 10th, 2015 @ 4:55pm CST
I'm not sure what you're saying, could you rephrase that please?
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1649400)
Posted by morphobots on February 10th, 2015 @ 11:17pm CST
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1649428)
Posted by Va'al on February 11th, 2015 @ 2:26am CST
morphobots wrote:I believe he's saying one thing that really bugs him is the human/robot scale in the art.

Ah, in true Transformers fashion. :D
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1650204)
Posted by Darth Jumpy on February 12th, 2015 @ 4:19pm CST
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1650218)
Posted by Va'al on February 12th, 2015 @ 4:41pm CST
Darth Jumpy wrote:I thought this issue could have used some more focus. I get that it is this series' style to have an entire story encapsulated on one or two pages, but it seems like they kept on skipping the climaxes to the stories. Like the stories that were presented in this issue shows the set up, and then skips right to the aftermath. The Joes fight Blackarachnia, and then it skips to Fort Max being fine. The Joes have to fight their mind controlled pets, but then it is later said in the issue that everyone is fine. Grimlock and Hot Rod fight, and the next scene Grimlock is somewhere else entirely. There are a ton of moments like that in this chapter. I usually enjoy this series, but this was by far the weakest issue. There are even some events that I did not get even after reading the commentary.

Yes, re-reading for the fifth (fourth) time makes me realise how scattered the focus actually is, compared to #3 and #4, for example.

I still really enjoyed it though. :D
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1670623)
Posted by Va'al on April 3rd, 2015 @ 3:25am CDT
It's been a while since we marvelled, jaw agape, at Tom Scioli and John Barber's cosmic effort in IDW Publishing Transformers vs G.I. Joe - but the wait is over, and thanks to comics website ComicsAlliance, we have a full preview for next week's issue #6. Check it out below! We'll have a Seibertron.com review up by the date of release, Wednesday, too, so head back here then.

Transformers vs G.I. JOE #6

Tom Scioli & John Barber (w) • Scioli (a & c)

THE SMASH HIT OF 2014 BECOMES THE GREATEST COMIC OF 2015! If you thought the war between G.I. JOE and the TRANSFORMERS was out of control before… well, brothers and sisters—wait’ll you get a load of issue 6!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
Heroes fall, but heroism triumphs!
One small step for the G.I. JOE team—one giant fall for the TRANSFORMERS!
Variant Cover by Antonio Fusso!

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1670632)
Posted by Windsweeper on April 3rd, 2015 @ 4:25am CDT
How the hell is this thing an ongoing? I like the robot designs but it's utter crap.

Thank you IDW. Once again you've failed me. Waited 20 years for Regeneration and it was a disappointing limited series.
Then they give us this and that angry birds crap.
Marvel and Dreamwave never disappointed like this.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1670659)
Posted by dragons on April 3rd, 2015 @ 8:26am CDT
This art style I use to draw as kid it's bad feel I'm in Napoleon dynamite movie art sucks make comic stop art is turn off
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1670669)
Posted by jogunwarrior on April 3rd, 2015 @ 8:43am CDT
Every time I consider how terrible my own art is, I look at this book and am shown a glimmer of hope that there is still a chance to make in the comic book industry.
Thanks, IDW!
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #4 Full Preview (1673163)
Posted by MrBlack on April 9th, 2015 @ 10:32am CDT
Every issue of this book is more insane than the next. Scioli is really building something unique (and blasphemous), and I can't stop reading.

The last page of #6 was fantastic.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers G1 THRUST Vintage Generations One 1985- Nosecone defect-" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Silverbolt (Superion) 100% Comp" on EBAY
Buy "NEW IN-HAND Transformers Generations Kingdom Ultra Magnus War for Cybertron " on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures Dinobots Unite - ThunderHowl" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG-15 Nightbird Shadow (not Arcee) MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG-12 Windblade MISB (Takara Tomy)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Ultimate Gift Set (Combat Hero Optimus Prime, Jazz)" on EBAY
Buy "2014 Transformers Combiner Wars HUFFER Complete with Cardback and Instructions" on EBAY