Friday, January 5th, 2018 3:42pm CST

Categories: Comic Book News, Press Releases
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 19,572

We've just received news from IDW Publishing, via a press release, that their debut for the latest Hasbro universe crossover event Transformers vs Visionaries has performed exceedingly well (surprising what the minimum amount of marketing can do to a book, huh?) in sales, and will see a second print run to be released with the second issue, later this month.

Our review, which you can see here, was less than complimentary on the whole, but if it has made this big an impact on readers, I'm glad someone out there is picking up what Visaggio, Ossio, Cruz, and Lazcano have been laying down! Read more below, and check out the new, accurate but spoilerrific cover will be for the reprint.

Transformers vs. Visionaries #1 Sells Out
at Distributor
Second Printing of the Critically Hailed Debut Coming Soon

San Diego, CA (January 5, 2018) – The Transformers robots may have met their match in the recently launched series TRANSFORMERS VS. VISIONARIES. After teasing their arrival throughout the latter half of 2017, the Visionaries have officially entered the shared Hasbro comic book universe and are taking on the Transformers Robots in Disguise. The debut shocked fans with a dramatic cliffhanger and garnered widespread acclaim, resulting in a sold-out issue at the distributor level and a second printing ordered.

Scripted by Eisner-nominated writer Magdalene Visaggio (Kim & Kim) with art by fan-favorite Fico Ossio (Revolution), colors by David Garcia Cruz, and letters by Gilberto Lazcano, this hotly anticipated debut is a can’t-miss, pivotal issue, instantly earning its place in any Transformers and Visionaries fan’s essential collection. It’s the perfect jumping on point for new readers to join in the fun and adventure while also providing longtime fans with some exciting developments in the ongoing saga.

After their home planet of Cybertron is invaded, the Transformers bots encounter unwelcome guests... Refugees from another world, the Visionaries’ startling magical abilities could make them powerful allies… or dangerous enemies. It all starts here with the death of a beloved character!

"It's been amazing seeing the outpouring of love for the story Mags, Fico, and the team have created, as well as the outpouring of love for the dearly departed Kup," said IDW Associate Editor, David Mariotte. "And things are only just getting started. There'll be more action, excitement, and drama to come."

A second printing of the debut issue of Transformers vs. Visionaries #1 (cover art featured here) will arrive on January 31, 2018, the same day issue #2 goes on sale.

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing

Credit(s): IDW

This article was last modified on Friday, January 5th, 2018 3:55pm CST

Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1930046)
Posted by Scrounge1984 on January 5th, 2018 @ 4:26pm CST
Huh... well that is unexpected, although I do wonder how this will affect the comic with a now larger audience.
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1930056)
Posted by Burn on January 5th, 2018 @ 4:59pm CST
Va'al wrote:As for complaints (Ebonyleopard, I think) of not getting enough info on the Visionaries: I didn't see it that way at all, nor do I feel the need to have all the information given to me (especially not in the first issue of five). This is where my confidence in Visaggio and Ossio still lies, in that we'll get something more compelling as the mini-series continues.

So basically, they launch a comic featuring a franchise that hasn't been touched in a decade or two, isn't that well known, but they launch it with the assumption the majority of people will know the characters, so they're targeting existing fans of a virtually dead franchise, on the back of a popular franchise.

But it comes back to the point, we've been dumped into the middle of a story. The fact we have to wait and HOPE that there's some type of flashback to explain how the city and the rest of the Visionaries came to be, to me, doesn't sit well.

Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1930061)
Posted by DeathReviews on January 5th, 2018 @ 5:16pm CST
I remember the Visionaries - well, I've been around for a LONG time of course. They could bring the toys back and make them cooler. Hologram technology has to have advanced somewhat since the 80s with those 2.5-D 'holograms' they used for the figures. The premise of the cartoon show tie-in wasn't bad. A world that used a lot of technology suddenly underwent some kind of change, where all the tech on Prysmos suddenly stopped working and only magic 'worked'. They called it the ending of 'the age of technology'. How exactly that worked was not explained (d'oy), but the premise was that suddenly technology was impotent, and magic was the only way to get power and privilege.

The premise can work for a tie-in with these comics - if the Visionaries carry the curious 'technology doesn't work around us for... reasons' mojo. It would mean all of Cybertron would be in trouble because they ARE technology. But I'd like to finally hear some kind of explanation for it...
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1930062)
Posted by ScottyP on January 5th, 2018 @ 5:17pm CST
Burn wrote:And then to say it sold out ... yeah, probably didn't do a large run to begin with.
Bingo! If they printed 5 copies (two of them for my stupid multicover order ugh) and three are still on the shelf at my LCS, it would still be "sold out" at the distributor level.

I guess I'm just upset that it seems folks may be willing to shell out for this crap while the comics with cool Transformers stories keep having sales declines.
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1930068)
Posted by ebonyleopard on January 5th, 2018 @ 5:53pm CST
Sunstar wrote:I'm not hooked enough to buy it. There is a comics website I read them on. If I find in later issues it was simply due to a slow start, I'll order back issues.

I'm a bit distressed about Kup though, really? Like that? I heave heard of ignominious deaths before, but Kup Deserved Better - and that's coming from a hard core Con-fan. It felt pointless - and maybe that was the point. Makes me glad Starscream is safely in prison - with the way they are killing off characters these days - makes me wonder how much longer the series will last. At least with the ROM Crossover, more or less some "Red Shirts" were sacrificed - and I genuinely enjoyed that story and Stardrive as well - I'm not interested enough to buy the ROM comics, but I would not be opposed to reading copies at a later date. I feel if any sacrifice was to be made it should have been some "nobodies".

As for the race swapping - I have no opinion on that. My experience with visionaries from before is that I know they exist - I have vague recollection of a cartoon - but I don't think I ever watched it. It never interested me then, and does not interest me now.

The colours, and I agree with Va'al's impression on that, was nice, but the faces - I really could not get over the faces - robots or otherwise. I guess, I got used to Sara's (I enjoyed her art immensely.)

Cybertron is almost always under catastrophic attack these days - I kinda wish they would get to have a bit of a breather - I hope the can eradicate their infestation of magical fleshies. The only Catastropic event I am really caring about is the Unicron one.

I have to admit, that now that TAAO is complete, and the character I follow is largely written out (here's hoping for a comback) - my interest in the series has diminished some. So I can identify to those who find popping off of characters, here, there and everywhere, as disappointing.

There are the other books I do follow and collect. I NEED to get the dinobots ones - one of these days. Anyway droning on...

There is a bit of a bitter taste of "We lost TAOO, for this?"
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1930103)
Posted by Sunstar on January 5th, 2018 @ 10:51pm CST
Ebonyleopard wrote:

There is a bit of a bitter taste of "We lost TAOO, for this?"

I will admit there will be with me specifically as I am a hardcore fan of Starscream, so unless he is in a series, I'm not overly into it as much as I may be. So I am not going to deny your impression. As far as visionaries go - I have no knowledge of the series, although I did browse through the wiki to try to get some sort of idea of what its about. We did not necessarily loose TAAO for this, I'd be more inclined to say we lost ROM vs Transformers for this... Then again, that had a Strong Starscream presence.

I am a mad Starscream addict. And I need my fix :P
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1930121)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on January 6th, 2018 @ 3:27am CST
DeathReviews wrote:Though in the original iteration, all the Visionaries looked a LOT different than portrayed in this comic. Merklyn was not some young hip-hop punker dude, he was more a traditional 'wizard', with a white beard and a red robe, and was a powerful figure since he had a lot of magic (reason also not really explained). And voiced by the same guy who did the Kingpin in the Spider-Man animated series of the 90s. And Cin-Darr was voiced by Peter Cullen, while Cravex was voiced by 80s Starscream's voice actor. A lot of the old Transformer voice talent was there, because the same studios that worked on the Transformers worked on Visionaries too.

I love the old Visionaries. Despite it being a very brief cartoon series I far, far preferred it over Transformers or GI Joe by the same folk (both of those shows I never really care for, vastly preferring their Marvel comic equivalent). I loved the medieval-sci-fi style, designs, writing and humour in it and the series is one of my most watched DVDs ever. Weirdly I didn't get to have many of the toys as a kid. I had Cryotek and a while ago I had Arzon too. And I tried to get one of those recent Leorics from that recent IDW pack but the single version that Kapow (by splitting the set) did was the first (and at time I was looking) only figure from that pack to sell out.

Nothing about IDW's Visionaries works for me at all (least of all the unrecognisable redesigns of several characters), never mind the fact I've not really enjoyed this whole concept about merging all the Hasbro properties into a big crossover thing. Ok I'm not a big fan of IDW's Transformers to begin with but I'd have much preferred these franchises all be kept seperate so you could at least pick and choose which one you'd like to follow without needing to know how events in the others affect it in such a big way. I still picked up this comic (not bought, read in shop) out of curiosity and yeah. Not for me. I won't be reading more.
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1930154)
Posted by ebonyleopard on January 6th, 2018 @ 10:33am CST
They could have done this like Rom vs the Transformers, set the story in the past so it doesn’t directly impact the now, establish some sort of reason why Merklynn would want revenge and do what he did in a First Striken then, if you wanted, shoe him teleporting g their city to a Cybertron because their world is dying due to something the Transformers did in the past.

I’ll say this though, thanks to this issue and discussion I’ve since watched a number of clips from YouTube of Visionaries to refamiliarize myself with it. It is a very typical 80s Sunbow Animated show.
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1930219)
Posted by partholon on January 6th, 2018 @ 5:13pm CST

i mean you literally have marvel sitting there with 50yrs plus, and DC with 70yrs plus SHOWING you how to do a shared universe that doesnt feel forced or restrictive yet IDW KEEP buggering it up.

the comparision i keep thinking of is marvel trying to launch an inhumans series by having tony stark find them squating in the basement of the avengers mansion.

now its not that you cant tell a story like that, but it really doesnt lend itself to introducing a race of half alien hybrids who live on the moon does it?

topic in point the visionares shouldve had a mini series to worldbuild its narative. thats why ROM/Transforemers worked. i mean i havent even read IDWs ROM but i know the broadstrokes of it in the same way anyone who wouldnt be au fait with transformes STILL knows its a war between shape changing robots. so when they met it was very easy to get into the meat of the story quickly.

just LOOK at how many pages in this were dedicated to catching people up the whole first strike thing which ostensibly has NOTHING to do with the visionares real story/ origin !

You cant blame the author for this as thats where theyre stuck storywise. ok you can make a parallel with immigrants/asylum seekers going this route but is that REALLY what you want your relaunch of these characters to be built on? is that the grandeur of the world you want to build for them?

the 80s premise was bigger in scope than that and so should this.

and i gotta say the armour designs suck. have a gander at this link

thats based on what WE were doing in the 15th century. what alien wizards in the modern day could come up with should look ALOT better. its comics FFS, the best thing this medium HAS going for it is the skys the limit on the designs front. they shouldnt look like cosplayers. i agree with what one of the other posters said too. its meant to be magic, IDW needs to come up with a design for the use of it ala Dr Strange in marvel i.e you know its magic being used and NOT just some random mutant power.

visual ques like this can help differentiate whats going on

all in all though this just feels like a missed opportunity. visionares always struck me as being like actionmasters. goddamn stupid idea for a toy but transformers with super powers? GREAT idea for fiction. ditto for leoric and co. a post apocalyptic world where the laws of physics have changed and basically given you the "shanara chronicles"?

theres scope there.
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1930227)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 6th, 2018 @ 6:14pm CST
partholon wrote:ive been thinking alot more about this and whats really starting to annoy me is how shambolic the roll out of the shared universe is.

the 80s premise was bigger in scope than that and so should this.

and i gotta say the armour designs suck. have a gander at this link

visual ques like this can help differentiate whats going on

theres scope there.

Actually there is another way they could of gone with this that would have worked(it popped into my head at the end of your post). A world where magic and technology are forced to coexist, Shadowrun.

Still I'm going to cut IDW some slack as Marvel and DC didn't have someone breathing down their neck with editorial decisions... (okay maybe they both have now with Disney and Warner).
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1930230)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on January 6th, 2018 @ 6:25pm CST

Eh, not really a fair comparison. The DC and Marvel Universes as we know them today were born out of decades of writers and artists randomly throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks. A lot of the times, the set-ups and introductions of characters who are now staples were conceived as random one offs, like Hank Pym being a scientist in a short before getting remade into a superhero. To use your example, the Inhumans just kinda showed up one day in an issue of Fantastic Four, which also had to retcon a pre-existing characters backstory to make her part of the Inhumans. Marvel and DC didn't really have any grand architectural plan, they just did it on a whim.
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1931323)
Posted by Deadput on January 13th, 2018 @ 11:52am CST
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1931326)
Posted by Targetmaster Kup on January 13th, 2018 @ 12:10pm CST
Deadput wrote:How long until IDW makes a Transformers series where they come up with the dumbest ways to mass kill characters for no reason at all?

Apparently you aren't reading IDW comics right now. :-D
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1931520)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 14th, 2018 @ 4:51pm CST

Wheelie kills the hasbroverse.

That would be pretty funny actually. Still I think the movies has the dumbest deaths of characters.
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1931881)
Posted by Va'al on January 16th, 2018 @ 3:31pm CST
We have news of an interview with Magdalene Visaggio, the writer of the current crossover series from IDW Publishing and its Hasbroverse - Transformers vs Visionaries - looking at how the team was made to arrive to the current status quo, the process behind two very old franchises, the ways in which the characters are approached, and addressing the scenes that most Transformers fans and readers have had a hard time accepting: the death of Kup.

You can read some extracts below, and the whole piece directly on the website Women Write About
Comics
, and enjoy the lineart for Brendan Cahill's variant cover (and colours by Lauren Bennett) for issue #4 of the series, too!

Firstly, how long have you been a fan of Transformers? Was it always your dream to write a comic for them?

I’ve been a Transformers fan to varying degrees since I was very little; they’ve always been around, and G2 was airing when I was eight or nine years old. But Transformers was never a passion of mine, nor was writing it a lifelong dream; when I was pitched this book, IDW EIC David Hedgecock asked me if I wanted to write Visionaries; the Transformers came in later. What got me excited was the idea of reviving and reinventing a largely forgotten franchise; the Transformers were the object they’d be acting against, but the actors would be the Visionaries.

The Visionaries have been silent for 30 years, did you have any say in any changes made to any characters?

Fico and I got basically all the say. Reinventing the Visionaries was very much done internally between me and Fico, and we presented what we wanted to do to IDW and then to Hasbro, and got the sign-off. We looked seriously at the characters and their situation, and then had to think, well, how do we integrate this into the IDW Hasbroverse, which is very sci-fi heavy, and have it still feel organic? We played a lot with more overtly sci-fi angles—at one point, the Visionaries, which are aliens, I might add, were much more obviously so. We decided to move away from the high fantasy aesthetic and worked to develop one that might make sense for a society forcibly removed from its technological origins. We had a very free hand.

[..]

Like I said, I haven’t been up to date on Transformers. But I knew and loved Kup from the 1986 movie, and so when they told me he was going to die, I was just shocked. Utterly, utterly shocked that the responsibility for taking out friggin’ Kup was going to be landing in my hands. Kup has always been one of my favorites (Kup, Springer, Ultra Magnus, Arcee, and yes, even Hot Rod are my TF dream team), so I immediately understood this wasn’t going to be a small thing. So I never took this lightly.

That’s why I structured the first issue the way I did; Kup takes a lot of the spotlight, and I showed him as the one pushing for something better; the old seen-it-all got to play idealist at the end, and I loved being able to do that for him.

Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1931889)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on January 16th, 2018 @ 4:28pm CST
Another chick who looks like she came out of Jem and the Holograms.
Honestly, they might as well have added Jem and the Holograms to the Hasbroverse.
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1931899)
Posted by kurthy on January 16th, 2018 @ 5:33pm CST
Rodimus Knight wrote:Another chick who looks like she came out of Jem and the Holograms.

That would be truly, truly outrageous! Hasbro should be on top it all.

Do you think they'll ever have a change of heart?
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1931915)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on January 16th, 2018 @ 7:35pm CST
Jem does exist in the Hasbro Universe. Rock 'n Roll used to be the Holograms' roadie.
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1931922)
Posted by LE0KING on January 16th, 2018 @ 8:55pm CST
I don't want to just be negative, but come on, even the writer didn't want the crossover. You don't build new franchises by butchering your successful one. I kind of hope unicron will mean an ending to the idw universe, because if not I'm afraid I'll wind up quitting a series I've followed for half my life.
Re: IDW Transformers vs Visionaries #1 Sells Out at Distributor, Goes to Second Printing (1931926)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on January 16th, 2018 @ 9:10pm CST
LE0KING wrote:even the writer didn't want the crossover

???

I don't know where you're getting this idea, dude. Visaggio was asked to pitch for Transformers Vs Visionaries.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Ultra Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
"No Thanks Given"
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Titan Scorponok MISB in stock now" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon New In Box MISB" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Generations TITANS RETURN Leader Class DECEPTICON OVERLORD" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Autobot HOT ROD & Firedrive Deluxe Class - BRAND NEW!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dinobot Adventures Dinobot Squad Grimlock Dinobot Snarl and Pred..." on EBAY
Buy "SLUG Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Deluxe Dinobot Hasbro 2021 New" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Unite Warriors UW-08 COMPUTRON w/ Perf. Effect Upgrade & Coll. Coin" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Titans Return Decepticon Overlord Loose Complete" on EBAY