IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview

IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview

Friday, July 24th, 2015 1:41pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 24,900

And the third and final IDW Publishing offering, once again after Newsarama, sees the planet Velocitron screaming into the foreground, as Windblade and the Cybertronian -er- delegates attempt to find out what it really means to race for your life. Full preview below, and full review on Wednesday right here on Seibertron.com!

Transformers: Windblade #5
Mairghread Scott (w) • Corin Howell (a) • Priscilla Tramontano (c)
RACE AGAINST THE LIGHT! On VELOCITRON, racing isn’t a sport—it’s a matter of life and death! WINDBLADE and BLURR put the pedal to the metal to save CYBERTRON—and their own lives.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
Space race!
BLUR and WINDBLADE together, to decide the fate of CYBERTRON’s new interstellar alliance!
Variant Cover by James Biggie!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview

Credit(s): IDW, Newsarama

Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1712992)
Posted by padfoo on July 24th, 2015 @ 8:26pm CDT
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1712993)
Posted by padfoo on July 24th, 2015 @ 8:29pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:I love the relationship that's being set with ironhide and chromia.

Though talk about extreme adaptions I want to know how they survived on that world in the first place

No kidding, this seems like a Twilight Zone or some strange Star Trek mission where they land on a completely alien world. I like it though!
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1713016)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on July 24th, 2015 @ 10:06pm CDT
padfoo wrote:I don't like the scale/style and character portrayal for Ironhide. He is too puny(literally) and weak, he was knocked out by Chromia during the Windblade series. This just seems like a very different character from previous IDW series.

Well too be fair, It's been established so far that Ironhide is kind off an oldman.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1713118)
Posted by ScottyP on July 25th, 2015 @ 11:38am CDT
SW's SilverHammer wrote:

Additionally, Chromia is pretty established as a badass and it makes sense that Ironhide respects her so much because he's also a badass. In this arc he feels different because he's sort of out of place with all these sleek, fast speedsters. But it makes complete sense to have him in a tale that involves finding the other races made of Primus' children.

Why? Pax Cybertronia.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1713677)
Posted by ScottyP on July 27th, 2015 @ 1:06pm CDT
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Velocitron Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Blurry
Race Against The Light, Which Is Totally Not A Title From MTMTE, We Promise

Remember back about a decade ago, when you first watched Transformers: Cybertron on TV? The first few episodes start with a bang, taking you away on a fast-paced adventure spanning three planets within the span of just the first four episodes. One of these planets was Velocitron, where the heroic Autobots Hot Shot and Red Alert assisted planet natives Override and Clocker in a bid to win races and secure a Cyber Planet Key, thus keeping it out of the clutches of the evil Megatron. To get it, they had to win a race, I think. Unfortunately, the race went on for longer than a Suzuka 8-hour and no one in the fandom remembers the details because why on earth would anyone watch that arc over again? The point here is that most Transformers fans are reminded of one word when thinking about Velocitron: Slow.

This is relevant today because IDW's fifth and latest issue of Windblade Volume 2, written by Mairghread Scott featuring art by Corin Howell and colors by Thomas Deer, brings us back to Velocitron. While doing so, it manages to do a lot of things, but "going slow" isn't one of them.

The pacing really is the stand-out characteristic here, and in fact, events happen so quickly that one has to wonder if the series ending at issue 7 was the original plan. While no one wants a repeat of Cybertron's fourteen episode circular boredom, I can't help but feel like this one takes a well developed premise with a lot of potential and steers off the exit ramp towards the next part of the story a little too quickly.

The art keeps with the implied tone of the narrative, lending a cartoon like quality to the scenes. This works well for most of the scenes, given the sometimes very convenient ways in which our heroes will overcome their external conflicts as the pages progress. Plot aside, the lines for some of the residents of this Velocitron are handled pretty appropriately, and Override in particular (not Nitro Convoy, take that Takara) feels suited to the style.

Deer's colors work very well, helping to lend contrast between locales and offering Velocitron a familiar yet altogether different feel. This isn't Cybertron, and at no point does it really feel that way.

Potential Full On Blatant Spoilers Ahead, Maybe
By the end of the read I certainly wasn't unsatisfied, but I also don't feel like I got the full taste of Velocitron, or perhaps the issue is that it was just a taste. If the sin of Cybertron's old Velocitron arc was being too slow, then this does the opposite and manages to go too fast, at least that's how I can best describe my malaise. Or perhaps, this is a crepe and what I really wanted was something else. They are the really thin pancakes. It's just a French word for them.

The great build to such a simple resolution almost made me forget what happened in between. To use an old theatre adage, "Show, don't Tell". This issue told me a lot about the planet and characters and city, but fell short on showing them to me. An abstract map of the city is cool, but ultimately kind of pointless if only some bits and pieces are shown. Telling me that Override is only tenuously in charge and implying that she's eccentric when given requests is great stuff, but when the chance comes to show it, it isn't taken. The politics of the planet have been played up as rather complicated for a couple issues now, but when you get to the ending they end up being really quite simple with Ransack just sort of doing, well, nothing. The end result is a story that felt complex, but then ultimately just isn't.

That's not to say there weren't parts I liked. Including the aforementioned Override and Ransack, along with Clocker (questionable color scheme aside, but at least it was a toy deco so I'll give it a slide) was a really fun touch. I absolutely adored Cybertron when it came out, and seeing some of these characters get further adventures is quite fun. There's nothing more frightening then driving with a live goddamn cougar next to you.

Our normal reviewer and News Admin Extraordinaire, Va'al, did point out some good stuff to me as well that I mostly agree with, so here are his words (mostly ;)) unedited:
Va'al wrote:I really liked the scenes with the Titan, both in writing (how Windblade feels about the whole thing, and how she connects with it) and the art, colours in particular. The race was quite good, and just the right length to not become overblown or dragged out. Ironhide and Chromia were also great, though Ironhide in general has and continues to be a stand out. I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.
My kudos to him for the help with this review as he juggled helping me out of my criticisms, all whilst writing up reviews for the other two IDW Transformers releases this week.

So with all that said, if you ain't first, you're last, so this gets the following score:

. :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:

I'm just kidding, here's the real score:

"Shake and... eh, that's good enough I suppose." out of "SHAKE AND BAKE, BABY!"
aka
:BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:

That there Seibertron.com review is trademarked, not to be used without written permission of Ricky Bobby, Inc.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1714241)
Posted by Optimizzy on July 29th, 2015 @ 7:39am CDT
Hi, I'm here to discuss an important problem facing Cybertron, packs of turbo-foxes roaming the streets.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1714242)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on July 29th, 2015 @ 7:41am CDT
Wait, does this mean blurr's new house is actually haunted?
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1714247)
Posted by ScottyP on July 29th, 2015 @ 8:08am CDT
To clarify, I'm ultimately intending to be complimentary in saying I wish it didn't end so fast, despite what impact that may have had on a goofy objective numerical score that reflects a subjective view of the issue ;) Not sure it comes out that way reading my words here another couple days later.

In other words, if you don't chew Big Red, well, you know.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1714289)
Posted by Optimizzy on July 29th, 2015 @ 10:48am CDT
Well, you wanna come over and play GI Joes?
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1714334)
Posted by Optimizzy on July 29th, 2015 @ 1:39pm CDT

and a side note, I dont really dig the condescending attitude of the Camiens. And why do they keep making me not like Chromia? I liked her in the one-shot. Dont like her here.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1714343)
Posted by DeadCaL on July 29th, 2015 @ 2:17pm CDT
Optimizzy wrote:you know, my biggest gripe is the cartoony city that's bigger on the inside. I just don't think the artist is skilled enough to really convey the idea of moving cities. They should be huge. Honestly, I hope she improves or they replace her. Its not terrible, its just not ... quality

Transformers + Scale = Oh dear, I've gone cross eyed ;-)
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1714379)
Posted by Optimizzy on July 29th, 2015 @ 4:41pm CDT
DeadCaL wrote:

Transformers + Scale = Oh dear, I've gone cross eyed ;-)

Ha ha. But really the city should have been huge. :)
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1714388)
Posted by Tigertrack on July 29th, 2015 @ 5:44pm CDT
Nice connections to the past in Cybertron cartoon eps, which I have a very hard time remembering a whole lot about.

I didn't hate it, and enjoyed it mostly, I'm just not superbly and overly impressed by what's going on in the TF comic verse lately.

Blurr, Blurr, Blurr!!! A resolution that so far was not a surprise. Art could be criticized, but is workable enough. We can't all be Stone, Coller, Milne, Or Guidi. It's not Heart of Darkness bad, everything looks better when compared with that.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1714473)
Posted by King Kuuga on July 30th, 2015 @ 12:41am CDT
I would have thought that a society whose culture revolves around racing would take more than one lap. That annoyed me a lot. They had potential for a two-issue story here, but I guess they're just doing one issue per planet to wrap the series up. :/ Maybe I'm wrong and we have a lead-in issue to the Beast planet and 7 has them meeting the Beast planet delegates properly.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1714520)
Posted by MrBlack on July 30th, 2015 @ 9:27am CDT
Optimizzy wrote:
DeadCaL wrote:

Transformers + Scale = Oh dear, I've gone cross eyed ;-)

Ha ha. But really the city should have been huge. :)

Agreed.

I like the style of the art, but the sense of scale implied by the dialogue is totally missing from the page. The moving "city" was roughly the size of a small building, and the "huge" racetrack looked to be the size of a big high school gym.

If the next issue is just talking heads, I think I'll enjoy it quite a bit more.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1715751)
Posted by Va'al on August 4th, 2015 @ 3:15pm CDT
Via Comic Book Resources, we have a fairly lengthy interview with the creative team behind Transformers: Windblade, in particular issue #5: Mairghread Scott and Corin Howell! The two touched upon the general direction of the series post-Combiner Wars, the introduction of multiple characters from several branches of the robot franchise, their thoughts on their favourite characters so far and much more, including some concepts for Moonracer and Knock-Out. Check out some snippets below, and head here for the full interview!

CBR News spoke with Scott and Howell about what's next for "Transformers: Windblade," what it means for their title character to learn that Prime may not be the 100% altruistic hero she once believed him to be, and why giant, battling robots provide the perfect allegory to explore themes like politics, war, gender and more.

[...]

Starscream has been handling this all magnificently, maneuvering everything into place. Has it been fun to get to have him outpace the others and show off his political agility?

Scott: Starscream is one of my favorite characters and I've had a great time revealing just how cunning he is. He also has a big advantage because everyone else in the book wears their heart on their sleeve. Windblade wants to save Caminus. Optimus wants to save Cybertron. And Starscream just wants to do whatever's best for Starscream. That makes him a lot more flexible than our other characters, and he uses that flexibility to its fullest extent. When Starscream sent Swindle and Menasor to Caminus, I saw a lot of people exclaiming that this would be Starscream's last mistake, and by the end of "Combiner Wars" he'd be ousted from power. I think underestimating Starscream is a lot of people's biggest mistake.

Scott: So at the end of "Combiner Wars," Caminus and Cybertron are now connected via SpaceBridge, and the Cybertronians have learned of at least four other colonies. Windblade's new mission is to make first contact with these worlds and somehow convince them to ally with Cybertron's new Council of Worlds, but each colony will have its own unique challenges she'll have to deal with. We're also kicking open a lot of doors to continuities that haven't been explored much in IDW. We're including a whole lot of new Transformers, many of which fans will know from other iterations of the brand throughout the years.

[...]

The Transformers comics seem to handle sci-fi as allegory more capably than anyone else is able to right now. What is it about the Universe which makes them so suitable to introduce themes of politics, war, gender and the like?

Howell: I think it's because when you get to see huge talking robots fighting, you can be sneaky with some bigger themes like political disputes and rivalries or the cause and costs of war. Everyone reads it to have fun, but they come away with a little bit more than that -- or at least that's the hope, anyway.

Scott: When you are dealing with alien robots, you have just enough distance between you and the subject that you can explore difficult ideas and themes much more comfortably. "Transformers" as a brand has always dealt with war, battle fatigue, prejudice and factionalism. And while our main goal is to tell a really great story, it's always my hope that we're giving people the chance to explore the rationale, emotions and beliefs of people they wouldn't get the chance to do in real life.

[...]

Was it a conscious choice to pick characters from so many different versions of the franchise and unite them here?

Scott: My goal for introducing more diversity to the brand has always been about opening as many doors as possible. I never want a writer to think "I can't introduce Character X because they have no place in this universe." So Caminus got the ball rolling on introducing female Transformers, but now all these other colonies will have female Transformers, too. My next thought was how can we push this further and introduce more bots. I realized that we had a lot of G1 and G2 bots but what if you grew up with "Beast Wars" or "Animated" or any of the later generations of Transformers? I wanted something for those viewers, too. These colonies have allowed me to open even more doors and create a whole universe of possibilities for future stories and future characters. I want any fan no matter their age or what iteration of the brand they grew up with to be able to see their favorite Transformer fitting in to the story.

Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1715755)
Posted by .... on August 4th, 2015 @ 3:21pm CDT
Corin Howell is my favorite TF artist of all time, just saying.
I gotta say I LOVE Moonracer's design by her, she looks amazing! :D We REALLY need a toy from this design!
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1715774)
Posted by Optimizzy on August 4th, 2015 @ 6:40pm CDT
SillySpringer wrote:Corin Howell is my favorite TF artist of all time, just saying.

I don't agree with the first comment. But I do think a moon racer based on this would be nice.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1715775)
Posted by MasterSoundBlaster on August 4th, 2015 @ 6:42pm CDT
Those Knock-Out expressions... =P~
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #5 Full Preview (1715777)
Posted by deathdrive on August 4th, 2015 @ 6:48pm CDT
Please please PLEASE give us knockout as a female decepticon. Like she turned from male to female almost like how arcee did but to himself. I always thought transformers prime knockout would have been a great female character and the toy sadly did not allow me to just use my imagination. If the second sketch is indeed knockout.. then to answer the question in the sketch, dark eyes.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #262 - Generational Taxonomy
"Generational Taxonomy"
Posted: Sunday, October 25th, 2020

Buy "Optimus Prime Diac 100% Complete Voyager Generations Titans Return Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege Generations War for Cybertron Trilogy Deluxe Class Barricade" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Constructicon Scrapper #60 Voyager Class Case Fresh" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Collaborative Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Ectotron with Slimer MISB" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Leader Class Shockwave MISB" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Allspark Tech Shadow Spark Optimus Prime Cube Power Figures" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titanium series Robots in Disguise Optimus prime" on EBAY