IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview

IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview

Friday, August 14th, 2015 2:54pm CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 27,085

What is held by the webs of fate? Find out next week in Transformers: Windlbade issue #6, of which we have the full preview below via Newsarama and IDW! And make sure to come back after reading it on Wednesady for the the Seibertron.com review, too.

Transformers: Windblade #6
Mairghread Scott (w) • Corin Howell (a) • Priscilla Tramontano (c)
BEAST WAR! On EUKARIS, the colonists are more than just robots in disguise—they're whole new breeds of Transformers! But while WINDBLADE and STARSCREAM struggle to gain allies on this brave new world, an ancient power seeks to force them off the planet!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Bullet points:
-Another colony found—but will they be friend or foe?
-Fan favorite characters make the comic-book universe debut!
-Variant Cover by Agnes Garbowska!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview

Credit(s): IDW, Newsarama

Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718165)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 14th, 2015 @ 3:06pm CDT
Well, I was hoping for additional pages that weren't just recaps and roll calls, but oh well, still cant wait :BOT:
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718182)
Posted by Deadput on August 14th, 2015 @ 3:49pm CDT
Faces are horrible and some characters have heads to big for their bodies Knock Out for example.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I prefer Livio Ramondelli as he can make Transformers fit with the tone of the stories.

But the story seems good but I will read the plot on TFwiki instead of buying this issue.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718187)
Posted by Autobot N on August 14th, 2015 @ 4:16pm CDT
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718189)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on August 14th, 2015 @ 4:19pm CDT
Decepticon Sunstorm wrote:Since I've never been a huge fan of Beast Wars, I don't recognize that face on the cover (I know its a Maximal, however). Does anyone know who it is?

tigatron
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718190)
Posted by Rainmaker on August 14th, 2015 @ 4:29pm CDT
Is it just me or does the art look...different?
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718206)
Posted by Bounti76 on August 14th, 2015 @ 6:54pm CDT
Rainmaker wrote:Is it just me or does the art look...different?

Corin Howell's art has always looked a little Animated-esque. It's better this issue than I'm used to seeing from her (less over-the-top cartoony), but I'm still glad Sara Pitre-DuRocher is drawing the new ongoing.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718269)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 14th, 2015 @ 11:30pm CDT
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718277)
Posted by SlyTF1 on August 15th, 2015 @ 1:26am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:WHY are they using Animated Blackarachnia instead of Beast Wars Blackarachnia? Was this some corporate-mandate decision or something? :BANG_HEAD:

Because her Beast Wars design is ugly.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718297)
Posted by Optimizzy on August 15th, 2015 @ 6:42am CDT
SlyTF1 wrote:

Because her Beast Wars design is ugly.

I do think the animated design is better but the real shame is that we are not seeing an animated design in the " real world" I would have liked to see Milne or Griffith tackle the design but instead it's pretty much unchanged and fits in with the cartoony art. Shame really.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718320)
Posted by CrankyOldTruck on August 15th, 2015 @ 10:40am CDT
Just a thought.

Oh, and you people bitching about the Art style? Seriously? It's ART!! You know, freedom of expression and interpretation, not to mention individual style. I know you all have a right to your opinion but honestly, if y'all haven't figured it out by now then I hate to tell ya but the problem isn't with the book: the problem is with your perception and what you seem to think of as the definition of art.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718343)
Posted by ctrlFrequency on August 15th, 2015 @ 12:34pm CDT
You want my opinion on the art complaints (no choice, you're getting it)

I don't like the art either... I think the reason why is not because there's anything wrong with the style, but the tone.

Cartoony is something we associate for kids. My kids love over exaggerated style... they're 5 and 6. They watch Teen Titans Go, love the Minions, and the 5 year old can't get enough of RID 2015.
That style is great for that age of kids. I think Howell is a great artist, she really hits over the top, silly emotion. It's light, it's cute, it's funny, and it's innocent. You want to hug it.

But the Transformers comics are aimed at older teens and up. Not 5 year olds. The art suggests that this is for kids. The plots are not light hearted adventures, even in MTMTE. It's a story about war, pain, suffering, death, treachery and treason. Lots of loss of life, homes, and most importantly... innocence.

The art is jarring for the style of story, especially for such a gritty theme. A lot of people (myself included) expect different. To each his or her own, yes. There's nothing wrong with it. The issue I see is there's a clash of the aesthetics of the writing and the aesthetics of the art. For a comic medium, readers expect a lot, and well frankly, political coups and people dieing is not... cute.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718350)
Posted by Optimizzy on August 15th, 2015 @ 1:24pm CDT
I can agree with that for the reasons you suggest. The argument would be made that this is a comic based on toys and is thus for kids. But you know what? When I was a kid I wanted stuff the older kids wanted and liked. So even if this stuff is for kids (and you make a good point about the deeper stories) then a more serious art style would be better.

Then again, look at Animated. Great writing and dealt with similar themes but had a cartoony style yet it worked.
I mean it could work...but just doesn't here. And I think the artist is capable of a little more realism but she just doesn't. I dunno. She is image artist and she's just doing her job. Just think it's not the right series for her.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718351)
Posted by Optimizzy on August 15th, 2015 @ 1:28pm CDT
Oh and by the way: pointing out you don't like the art. That's ok. Pointing out why you think the art is good: also ok.

Complaining about people complaining is not ok. People are allowed to voice opinion and why they may not like something. As long as it stays civil and doesn't personally attack I think it's fine.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718451)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 15th, 2015 @ 7:29pm CDT
The only issue I have with the art seen here is that it made Sonar look nigh-unrecognizable at first, since I couldn't tell she(?) was at first until I looked closer at the dialogue bubble that identified her(?) as Sonar.

The "?'s" are due to another point I'm about to make (one not necessarily related to the art itself): I can't tell if Manta Ray and Sonar are still fembots in this or not. Past fiction established both of them as female (when their toys were genderless), but the way they're drawn and portrayed character-wise here makes it difficult to tell if they're still female here or not. Not that I want them to have supermodel bodies or anything like that, mind you. Just that it's hard to tell if this comic will be sticking to what's been established beforehand or if it's doing something totally different with these two. So hopefully the full comic itself will shed some light on this since a small handful of sample pages aren't enough to make a fair call.

As an aside, should Optimus Primal ever show up in this, I kinda want him to be in his Beast Machines body to A) throw those expecting his BW season 1 body for a loop, and B) to make him as visually distinct from Optimus Prime as possible.

CrankyOldTruck wrote:Has it occurred to anyone that there is a Titan on a Beast themed world and that said Titan could well have adopted a Beast Mode the same as its residents? Think Trypticon or Skorponok only jacked up even bigger and then picture that behemoth coming crashing onto the scene for the upcoming Titan Wars arc.
Just a thought.
Orcanoch or bust! [-( :DANCE: :-B Image
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718458)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on August 15th, 2015 @ 8:09pm CDT
Optimizzy wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:

Because her Beast Wars design is ugly.

maybe it's to show that she's a different blackarachinia from her beast wars counterpart. I mean this version of Tigatron and Airrazor are different from beast wars tigatron and airrazor, even ignoring the possibility beast wars is the past/future in the IDW continuity.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718465)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 15th, 2015 @ 8:41pm CDT
I asked elsewhere yesterday why the design for Animated Blackarachnia was used instead of BW Blackarachnia and was directed to Mairghread Scott's Tumblr answering this very question back in the 13th, in which she says that it was just the artist's (Corin Howell's) choice:

I think that was Corin’s call. I just said Blackarachnia in the script, she drew that one and it looked hella cool. Since our Blackarachnia doesn’t have the same background as either of those other takes on Blackarachnia, it didn’t seem to be a problem, but if t makes you feel any better, I kinda wrote with Beast Wars Blackarachnia’s voice in my head, especially that laugh she does.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718933)
Posted by Bounti76 on August 17th, 2015 @ 6:07pm CDT
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718968)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 18th, 2015 @ 12:28am CDT
Bounti76 wrote:Sabrblade, I checked out that link, and the rest of Mairghread Scott's tumblr, and she does confirm, in a few posts before that one, that Sonar and Manta Ray are both still female in this continuity.
Ah, good to hear, thanks.

Also, anyone else notice that Tigatron's altmode is more based on his BotCon 2001 toy than his season beast mode body?

Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1718971)
Posted by Shuttershock on August 18th, 2015 @ 12:56am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Ah, good to hear, thanks.

Eh, I could see that. With the beastformers we've seen so far, they're more robotic animals than organic disguises. Makes sense. Might also work towards explaining Animated Blackarachnia and the Transmetals.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #6 Full Preview (1719124)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 18th, 2015 @ 6:51pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Ah, good to hear, thanks.

I personally like that look better than his animation model :BOT:

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Voyager Class Megatron Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "????  NEW Transformers Siege War for Cybertron Trilogy “STARSCREAM” Voyager Class" on EBAY
Buy "Soundwave Sealed MISB MOSC Voyager War for Cybertron - Siege Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Decepticon Shockwave Sealed MISB Leader War for Cybertron Siege Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Sideswipe Sealed MISB MOSC Deluxe War for Cybertron - Siege Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Red Alert Sealed MISB MOSC Deluxe War for Cybertron - Siege Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Prowl Sealed MISB MOSC Deluxe War for Cybertron - Siege Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Red Alert Figure" on EBAY