IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards

IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards

Sunday, December 24th, 2017 12:15am CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 16,494

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Transformers has just won the biggest comic book awards possible at the Comixology Reader's Choice Awards, reflecting the best in 2017. It was practically a sweep for the Transformers brand with Transformers: Lost Light winning best ongoing series, James Roberts winning best writer for his work on Lost Light and Sara Pitre-Durocher winning for best artist for her work on Transformers: Till All Are One. Transformers were even linked to the best letterer award for Tom B Long who worked on the First Strike series.

The fact that this is a choice of the people reading the comics as opposed to a select committee really shows the presence of the brand in the comic book medium and in the hearts of fans all throughout the world. It is worth noting that the best ongoing series was a shared win with Saga, My Hero Academy and The Mighty Thor, which is impressive when you realize that it is the only series out of those whose characters come from a totally different medium (unless you count Norse Mythology).

Congratulations to all the winners!

Transformers News: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards

Transformers News: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards

Transformers News: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards

Transformers News: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards

Credit(s): comixology


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1927940)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on December 24th, 2017 @ 3:22am CST
OK well congrats but I just don't get it. IDW's TFs don't work for me at all and not that huge on the art-styles in the comics but yeah good for them. :P
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1927948)
Posted by Sunstar on December 24th, 2017 @ 4:37am CST
I was excited when I saw this. Sara Pitre-Durocher deserves this!
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1927966)
Posted by LE0KING on December 24th, 2017 @ 9:01am CST
Any other year I would agree with this whole heartedly, but in 2017 Scott blew Roberts out of the water.
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1928053)
Posted by steve2275 on December 25th, 2017 @ 4:39am CST
congrats winners
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1928089)
Posted by Cheesinator on December 25th, 2017 @ 1:44pm CST
Congrats to the winners! Good year for Transformers books.

It tickles me a bit that Lost Light is apparently being appreciated by all except the Transformers fans on here.
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1928098)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on December 25th, 2017 @ 4:31pm CST
Pitre-Durocher most likely deserves it, congrats to her. But Roberts? He's on the level of Orci and Kurtzman when it comes to writing Transformers. The state of comics and/or the taste of the average fan must be depressingly bad if he's considered "the best." :SICK: Was John Barber even considered?
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1928122)
Posted by william-james88 on December 25th, 2017 @ 9:41pm CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:Was John Barber even considered?

I doubt it. I believe there is a stigma with Barber being associated with mandated books.
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1928150)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on December 26th, 2017 @ 1:04am CST
william-james88 wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:Was John Barber even considered?

I doubt it. I believe there is a stigma with Barber being associated with mandated books.
Based on what? He can definitely write better than Roberts. (I base that on reading MTMTE and its concurrent ongoing up to the Titans Return story.)
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1928247)
Posted by william-james88 on December 26th, 2017 @ 1:10pm CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:Was John Barber even considered?

I doubt it. I believe there is a stigma with Barber being associated with mandated books.
Based on what? He can definitely write better than Roberts. (I base that on reading MTMTE and its concurrent ongoing up to the Titans Return story.)

Based on the fact that the books he works on are the ones that have to accomodate changes in design to suit toys and spotlight particular characters. I am not talking about my own opinion, just stating why fans may prefer Roberts solely on the fact that he writing is not as dictated by Hasbro. Kinda like how people preffer writer directors over a director just doing someone else's script. Or how people preffer singer songwriters over singers who sing songs written for them or cover artists.
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1928267)
Posted by Va'al on December 26th, 2017 @ 2:18pm CST
william-james88 wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:Was John Barber even considered?

I doubt it. I believe there is a stigma with Barber being associated with mandated books.
Based on what? He can definitely write better than Roberts. (I base that on reading MTMTE and its concurrent ongoing up to the Titans Return story.)

Based on the fact that the books he works on are the ones that have to accomodate changes in design to suit toys and spotlight particular characters. I am not talking about my own opinion, just stating why fans may prefer Roberts solely on the fact that he writing is not as dictated by Hasbro. Kinda like how people preffer writer directors over a director just doing someone else's script. Or how people preffer singer songwriters over singers who sing songs written for them or cover artists.


I'm not entirely sure this is a thing, when it comes to ComiXology.


These fan polls (that's what they were, Twitter fan polls) are based almost entirely on the amount of issues they sell on their platform. Barber doesn't sell as much as Roberts, so he wasn't considered.

People who like Roberts but not Barber out any reason other than 'it's not Hasbro mandated' are missing out on some truly excellent stuff.
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1928270)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on December 26th, 2017 @ 2:44pm CST
Va'al wrote:People who like Roberts but not Barber out any reason other than 'it's not Hasbro mandated' are missing out on some truly excellent stuff.
Exactly. I started by reading MTMTE, and picked up the other series much later, simply because MTMTE was getting such good reviews. By the time I finished both series, I found that I was anticipating what Starscream, Windblade and Bee were going to do much more than what was happening on the Lost Light. And that's including me being a Rodimus fanboy. (I think Rodimus could be written much better than he was in MTMTE.)

But just how much of the story does Hasbro meddle in? Or do they just give them specifics regarding designs?

Maybe if that happened with Roberts he might have written better.
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1928277)
Posted by Va'al on December 26th, 2017 @ 3:24pm CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:
Va'al wrote:People who like Roberts but not Barber out any reason other than 'it's not Hasbro mandated' are missing out on some truly excellent stuff.
Exactly. I started by reading MTMTE, and picked up the other series much later, simply because MTMTE was getting such good reviews. By the time I finished both series, I found that I was anticipating what Starscream, Windblade and Bee were going to do much more than what was happening on the Lost Light. And that's including me being a Rodimus fanboy. (I think Rodimus could be written much better than he was in MTMTE.)

But just how much of the story does Hasbro meddle in? Or do they just give them specifics regarding designs?


They do and they don't. There's PR responses and direct responses, and there is a lot of freedom with how certain characters or plotlines can develop - but also Hasbro can just ask for 'can this character be in the story somehow' and that's where Rook gets one panel, Alpha Bravo another, and you'll end up with issues like Combiner Hunters where everyone happens to have a new deco for some in-story reason and totally not a box set exclusive to an event. ;)
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1928315)
Posted by william-james88 on December 26th, 2017 @ 8:57pm CST
Va'al wrote:People who like Roberts but not Barber out any reason other than 'it's not Hasbro mandated' are missing out on some truly excellent stuff.

Hell yeah, like my favourite comic so far: RID 22 Soundwaves

Va'al wrote:They do and they don't. There's PR responses and direct responses, and there is a lot of freedom with how certain characters or plotlines can develop - but also Hasbro can just ask for 'can this character be in the story somehow' and that's where Rook gets one panel, Alpha Bravo another, and you'll end up with issues like Combiner Hunters where everyone happens to have a new deco for some in-story reason and totally not a box set exclusive to an event. ;)


But those are mostly harmless examples. The one I find quite egregious so far was the sudden importance of Scoop. Scoop? Why, where? How is he suddenly the new voice of a religion?

Oh right, he has a toy coming out.

Or other things like how Rattrap, a character which so far only existed many years after the war ended, is now interacting with g1 characters and quite prominant.
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1928324)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on December 26th, 2017 @ 10:04pm CST
Hate to say it, but if people can’t accept toy-related mandates, Transformers is the wrong franchise for them. And even then, it could be a lot worse. Titans Return, for instance, could have been a lot more egregious in its advertising, but instead, Barber used it as a way to near-seamlessly advance pre-existing storylines.

Personally, I think Barber excels in one area that Roberts lacks: versatility. Barber can write grand narratives, he can write personal stories, he can write action, he can write comedy, he can write drama, he can write sci-fi, he can write superheroes, and he can mix and match any elements between the extremes. Roberts has his style and his schtick, and it works... for a time. Barber, meanwhile, has less of a distinct style because he knows how to switch things up for whatever he’s writing.
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1928349)
Posted by Va'al on December 27th, 2017 @ 1:24am CST
william-james88 wrote:But those are mostly harmless examples. The one I find quite egregious so far was the sudden importance of Scoop. Scoop? Why, where? How is he suddenly the new voice of a religion?

Oh right, he has a toy coming out.

Or other things like how Rattrap, a character which so far only existed many years after the war ended, is now interacting with g1 characters and quite prominant.


Was he really that important, though? Sure, it might feel forced at the start, but they fade enough into everything else that it doesn't really make that much of a difference. See again: Rook.

As for Rattrap - he's an excellent character (truly excellent) in TAAO.
Let go of your past fictional notions, this is a whole new universe, and has been so for the past 12 years. :)
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1928352)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on December 27th, 2017 @ 2:24am CST
Daniel Adkins wrote:Personally, I think Barber excels in one area that Roberts lacks: versatility. Barber can write grand narratives, he can write personal stories, he can write action, he can write comedy, he can write drama, he can write sci-fi, he can write superheroes, and he can mix and match any elements between the extremes. Roberts has his style and his schtick, and it works... for a time. Barber, meanwhile, has less of a distinct style because he knows how to switch things up for whatever he’s writing.
Exactly! I couldn't have said it better. And the only reason Roberts gets away with his shortcomings for as long as he does is because of the talented people around him who cover up for him, either intentionally or unintentionally simply by trying to do the best they can.
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1928991)
Posted by Chibi Starscream on December 30th, 2017 @ 10:58pm CST
I'm really glad to hear this. I just recently started collecting the comics. So far my favorite mini series is Sins of the Wreckers. I absolutely loved the story-line. I'm also enjoying The Lost Light. I haven't read any of Till All Are One yet, but it's on my list of "to read" titles. So many to read, so many to collect. I pick up any I can find at the two stores I go to near me to buy comics. Anyway, super glad to hear this. I hope IDW keeps going strong. The stories are awesome, the characters are awesome, and the art is amazing.
Re: IDW's Transformers Comics Win Best Ongoing, Writer, Artist and More at Reader's Choice Awards (1929114)
Posted by william-james88 on January 1st, 2018 @ 1:58am CST
So I have been reading all of these comics and while I am very happy these talented people are getting this recognition, and from the readers no less, these wouldnt be my choice.

I feel I am more in line with the Eisner awards this year, with Brian K Vaughn as best writer, over James Roberts. I have loved Roberts in the past, but 2017 was not his best work. And when it came to IDW's Transformers books, I feel its mairghread scott who really rocked instead.

TAAO did get a "best of" win for the artist but see there I feel Sara Pitre-Durocher doesnt do great interiors (she is one of the best, if not the best at covers though). When it comes to Transformers, I still find Alex Milne the best in the business. Sara plays it a bit too loose on the detail sometimes and they look more like toys, scale and all, due to lots of smooth surfaces (especially her Chromia, her Wheeljack is more up my alley). Of course, Milne didnt really handle much TFs this year but even then, I would say Jack Lawrence did a better job on at duties.

My favourite artist of the year though would be Mikel Janin for his work on Batman. That is just gorgeous!

Best series would be Saga (with TAAO after that, followed by Batman).

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dreadwind" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Speed Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Nightbeat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Siege on Cybertron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
Twincast / Podcast #289:
"No Thanks Given"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers SIEGE War for Cybertron Deluxe Class COG - WEAPONIZER! Complete." on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War For Cybertron SIEGE Firedrive WFC-S1" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON BATTLE MASTERS Aimless" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron SIEGE Roadhandler & Swindler WFC-S4" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Trilogy Pteraxadon Action Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War For Cybertron Springer" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Power of The Spark Sonic Swirl Slipstream" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War For Cybertron: Siege Deluxe Mirage New Inhand" on EBAY