Friday, May 12th, 2017 9:32am CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 26,370

While we have seen many of these images before, we have some photos of Hyper Hobby volume 2 courtesy of Loopaza store on Facebook - via fellow Seibertronian Cyberpath - featuring Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon and relative Titan Masters, Target Masters and the such. Check them all out below!

Takaratomy Transformers Legends

This month Japanese Magazine Hyper Hobby vol.2 cover some details of the coming up Transformers Legends Series.

There's the images of the little Headmaster of Trypticon & LG-EX Black Convoy. Also, there was a scale comparison of The Target Master with the Headmaster of Hotrod and Kup.

And the Japanese version of The Last Knight figures is just started.

Transformers News: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon

Credit(s): Loopaza FB

Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881223)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on May 12th, 2017 @ 9:51am CDT
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881225)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 12th, 2017 @ 9:55am CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:but those are pics of Hasbro's Hot Rod and Kup with Takara's retooled parts (unpainted) showing what they've changed?
Yep. They're the Hasbro versions with prototypes of the retooled Takara parts.
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881235)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on May 12th, 2017 @ 10:55am CDT

And if so, it's only for the sake of cartoon accuracy?

I just ask because I'm confused as to why Takara would want to retool Hot Rod at all, especially over what seems to be a really small detail. I get why they did it with Kup, because at least his silhouette is altered a bit, but it's not as though Hot Rod has elbows that can only b be sideways.
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881236)
Posted by RiddlerJ on May 12th, 2017 @ 11:00am CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote:So Takara's Hot Rod doesn't have the flipping hood section, is that what I'm seeing with the retool here?

And if so, it's only for the sake of cartoon accuracy?

Yeah, I don't like their retooled Hot Rod. The hood doesn't integrate into the chest as well, and while I get why they made the engine switch around for robot mode, they didn't replace it with a collar or anything. It's just a flat blank plate. At least put a logo there or something.
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881238)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on May 12th, 2017 @ 11:01am CDT

And if so, it's only for the sake of cartoon accuracy?

Hot Rodimus' chest is retooled for two reasons:

1) the engine can now be flipped back, making him more accurate to the original toy and cartoon appearance (the engine on the chest thing is new since his Classics toy of 2006).
2) the engine has a 5mm port for the new-mold Targetmaster, to call back to his Targetmaster toy and TFC reissue.

Note the hood is clear plastic.

:EDIT: Upon closer inspection of the Targetmasters: definitely Peacemaker and Fracas.
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881479)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on May 14th, 2017 @ 12:04am CDT
I'm really surprised by the negativity towards Legends Hot Rod. He's an upgrade to the Titans Return version in almost every way, as far as I am concerned. He's got more paint apps, like the iconic orange and yellow detailing on his wrists/cuffs, the two tone colors on his helmet and pelvis, and the dark gray on his shins and feet. His primary color is now a more maroon color, like the Masterpiece toy, approximating the color of his G1 cartoon appearance (but not the movie) just a bit better. I don't think the hood looks any worse for ditching that step in Hasbro's version to reveal his robot abs. He just looks more like classic G1 Hot Rod without it, honestly. That goes for the new engine block that hides away in robot mode. Yeah, the blank orange plastic panel in its place is just another Hot Rod trait. It's always been like that. It would have been nice if they had made the hands gray instead of orange, but I can live with it. The addition of his actual Targetmaster partner Firebolt is fantastic! That's a huge selling point for me. The only thing I think is potentially divisive is the transparent plastic flame pattern on the hood. Yes, opaque would have been better, but I understand what they're trying to do, and I think it'll work well in person. If not, I have plenty of ideas of how to remedy that situation. As it is, I've decide to embrace that little embellishment for now. It's just weird to me that so many people were gaga for grayscale Kup (before better pictures came out) but so few seem to appreciate correct colors and molding Hot Rod.
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881495)
Posted by Kurona on May 14th, 2017 @ 5:29am CDT
Eh, as far as I'm concerned, this is one of the few times I appreciate Hasbro's toy-accuracy more as I really don't like Hot Rod's cartoon colours. The much brighter and vibrant red fits him so much more than a dark ugly maroon and I appreciate the intuitive chest transformation over the chest... not transforming. It's more accurate, and one looking for accuracy will enjoy that; but from a pure toy standpoint TR just looks so much better.

Titan Master and Targetmaster are clear winners on Legends though, no doubt.
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881532)
Posted by Cyberpath on May 14th, 2017 @ 10:40am CDT
LG Triggerhappy --

LG Brawn --

LG Kickback --

Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881535)
Posted by Va'al on May 14th, 2017 @ 11:01am CDT
Fellow Seibertronian Cyberpath has spotted over on Dengeki Hobby's website some new official images for the Takara Tomy Transformers Legends ..er, Legends class counterparts to the Hasbro Titans Return toys: LG47 Kickback with Clouder, LG48 Gong (Brawn) with Repug (Ribaggu), and LG49 Triggerhappy!

Check out the images mirrored below, of Titan Masters, Target Masters and Legend class characters, and let us know what you think in the Energon Pub.

Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881537)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 14th, 2017 @ 11:03am CDT
Ramhorn? They made Clouder from Ramhorn? So did not see that coming.

Though, have we had a good enough look at Ramhorn's Titan Master head? The way the mold looks here makes its head look almost like it has a beak, like Buster's Suit Mode helmet.
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881538)
Posted by Kurona on May 14th, 2017 @ 11:05am CDT
I am so happy Triggerhappy barely looks different to his TR counterpart as that deco was perfect. Instant buy! :D
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881539)
Posted by Cyberpath on May 14th, 2017 @ 11:08am CDT
LG Sharkticon and Brawn: been holding off getting the Hasbro editions because I knew Takara would have nicer colours. Hasbro's Brawn was almost perfect but missing the silver apps on his knees. Not a big deal but I wasn't in a rush. Also TT's got silver rims.
It will be cool to have some extra random heads finally!

LG Kickback: I love the Insecticons on the show, and this figure seems nice, but there's no point in getting only one part of the trio.

LG Triggerhappy: ahh.. wish he weren't a Headmaster......
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881546)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on May 14th, 2017 @ 11:16am CDT
Nah, easy pass on all these. Had Triggerhappy and couldn't even be bothered to open him from packaging and sold him. The others don't appeal to me or look hugely different to Hasbro versions to be worth importing. Still got Hot Rod and Kup pre-ordered though.
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881548)
Posted by Cyberpath on May 14th, 2017 @ 11:22am CDT
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881549)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 14th, 2017 @ 11:25am CDT
Cyberpath wrote:
There's also the Universe and Henkei! Henkei! versions if you wanna compare those with these as well. ;)^
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881550)
Posted by Evil Eye on May 14th, 2017 @ 11:25am CDT
Triggerhappy looks gorgeous- that shade of blue and the crisp white look lovely. I'm not sure I'll be replacing my gifted Hasbro Triggerhappy with him, even with the Targetmaster- he looks nice but not THAT nice. Still, I can't fault anyone who does.

Brawn looks pretty decent. I think I prefer the Hasbro colours but they both look nice.

Kickback looks cool too, and I prefer his colours over the Hasbro version. I wish his wings were fully chromed but you can't win 'em all.
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881551)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on May 14th, 2017 @ 11:29am CDT
These pics showed up faster than I had expected. :)

Triggerhappy looks mostly the same in terms of color layout and shade, but some paint apps are swapped around, either in placement or color. I'm guessing the "visor" around eyes is yellow, but it's hard to tell from these pics. The red of his optics kind of bleeds into that already small space visually. The real draw is the addition of his Targetmaster partner, so this is a must buy for me!

Brawn is absolutely perfect! Hasbro's is good, but this is GREAT! The brownish/olive green is on point for screen accuracy. All of the paint apps are there, including the silver horizontal stripes on his knees. He looks like he just stepped out of the original cartoon, more than ANY other toy version of Brawn has before. Must buy!

Kickback is interesting. On the surface, he's got much more screen (and toy) accuracy going for him than Hasbro's version. The silver and clear plastic wings look fantastic! His upper arms are now the proper black too. His Decepticon logo is now in the middle of his chest (sternum) instead of his right pectoral. He's even got the red horizontal striping on his shins akin to the G1 toy. Then...they apparently kept going with paint apps, like yellow knee caps (Hasbro had these two) and red stripes on his wrists. Those...aren't accurate to anything, screen nor toy. Odd choice for Takara. Still, the silver/clear wings sell this for me as my definitive "Classics" Kickback. Must buy! The Hasbro ones I have (three in all) will serve as his clones. I've done likewise, using TAV Shrapnel and Bombshell as their G1 selves while the Hasbro releases, each in triplicate, acting as their clone swarms. Yay for army building!
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881552)
Posted by RAR on May 14th, 2017 @ 11:32am CDT
I like that Hasbro and Takara's Brawn are different shades of green. Though it does rather make me want to get a appropriately coloured South American Minibot to match now too.

Triggerhappy having white on his is a little odd mind.
Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881560)
Posted by DMSL on May 14th, 2017 @ 11:46am CDT
Triggerhappy looks pretty much the same as Hasbro's, so i don't think i'll be getting him. I still have the Hasbro MOMC but i think i'll be opening him and wait for the other two jets from Hasbro (Misfire and Slugslinger). I like Targetmasters a lot, but it looks awkward in jetmode. I think the Targetmaster is too beefy.

Brawn looks awesome, i\ll be getting him, just wish they gave him a gun.

Re: Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends Kup, Hot Rod, Scourge, Dinosaurer, Sharkticon (1881562)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on May 14th, 2017 @ 11:54am CDT
DMSL wrote:Kickback looks great too, but i would have preferred if they made an Insecticon 3-pack so we could get all of them in the same colourscheme with a few energon cubes and weapons. There really is no point in getting him while the other two are not readily available in the same colourscheme.

The problem is, Hasbro's Insecticons don't match up in terms of their colors either. Each one has different shades of purple and yellow unique to him. I can tell you that the TAV releases of Shrapnel and Bombshell are a bit closer of a match to each other, but still not nearly perfect. Either route you go, and any combination of Hasbro or Takara releases you choose, you're not going to have perfectly color-coordinated Insecticons, unfortunately.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight 1-Step Turbo Changer Cogman" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Steeljaw Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #277 - Daring to Be Stupid
"Daring to Be Stupid"
Posted: Sunday, May 30th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Commemorative Series 9 Ricochet 2004 NO NIGHTSTICK TRU Excl EX Cond" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects TURTLER / SNAPTRAP Takara TT-GS03 New in Box" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects G2 Megatron, Netflix Hotlink Target Red Wing" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege: War for Cybertron Deluxe Class Autobot Chromia Brand New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Battle for Cybertron 3 Sharkticons Attack Hotrod Figures" on EBAY