In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer

In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer

Thursday, August 11th, 2016 9:30am CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 38,501

Seibertronian Cyberpath has shown us the pictures posted on TF Yuki's twitter page. These show LG24 Shockwave in his packaging along with Cancer, who is a redeco of Titan Master Crashbash.

There is also an image of the small head on the original Cancer Masterforce toy (whos gallery can be seen here). The pic makes sure to show us the tech specs with the middle one being down meaning that the little head can actually be inserted into that slot.

Transformers News: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer

Other things to note are the names used for these toys. "Shockwave" is used for both the Latin writting and the Japanese writing, rather than Laserwave, while "Cancer" is used for both. Fellow Seibertronian Sabrblade broke it down for us:

Sabrblade wrote:For the name "Shockwave", Takara always the Hasbro names in Latin script on the Legends packaging, while using the original Japanese Takara names in Katakana. But in this case, since the Katakana name is also written as "Shockwave" instead of "Laserwave" (along with several other Takara Shockwave toys of recent years using "Shockwave" instead "Laserwave"), that tells me that Takara must have lost the rights to the name "Laserwave" and are now using "Shockwave" as a substitute, with the MP being an exception to this since it seems Takara absolutely wanted to use "Laserwave" for that toy in some manner that they could (which make sense given how the MP line is their bread and butter celebrating the original cartoon with the authentic Japanese names), which resulted in their going with "Destron Laserwave" (essentially an equivalent of Hasbro using "Decepticon Shockwave") for the MP.

For the name "Cancer", however, with his name being written as such in both Katakana and Latin script, that further emphasizes how he's a completely separate character from Hasbro's original Squeezeplay/Crashbash character, and I'm all for their doing it since he very much is his own character (being an Earth human rather than a Cybertronian robot, for one).

Credit(s): tf yuki

Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814324)
Posted by Kyleor on August 11th, 2016 @ 10:39am CDT
So LG24 Shockwave gives you Cancer?
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814326)
Posted by Randomhero on August 11th, 2016 @ 10:49am CDT
TFC gives you Lupus :lol:
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814331)
Posted by Kurona on August 11th, 2016 @ 11:06am CDT
Red Bull gives you Predawings.
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814343)
Posted by william-james88 on August 11th, 2016 @ 12:05pm CDT
Kurona wrote:Red Bull gives you Predawings.

And you win the prize for best pun so far!
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814385)
Posted by Railbomb on August 11th, 2016 @ 2:24pm CDT
Agamemnon wrote:
Cyberpath wrote:I do like to fiddle with Hardhead's drone while watching TV..

Kind of reminds me of Blitzwing.

I, too, like this drone. I don't have the one with Legends Hardhead, but the two TR (Crashbash and Terri-bull?) sit on my desk and I fiddle with them all the time. The other one I really like is Apeface. For such a weird drone/ape/plane thing, he's just...fun.

Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814400)
Posted by william-james88 on August 11th, 2016 @ 2:59pm CDT
Railbomb wrote:Apeface (and as named by my friends, his drone Harambecon) is definitely my favorite out of the ones I have so far. Hasbro definitely got something right with with the Titan Master class, I kind of feel bad for how awkwardly they're being released in Japan, being split up from a drone and all.

As do I. Japanese collectors are no different than us (some are here among us too :) ) and I am sure they would like the option to just buy the drone seperately if all they want is the drone.
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814430)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 11th, 2016 @ 3:27pm CDT
The little vehicles are a lot of fun!

I'm going the same path as you will, going for Skytread for that drone
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814435)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on August 11th, 2016 @ 3:31pm CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:The little vehicles are a lot of fun!

I'm going the same path as you will, going for Skytread for that drone

I got both Skytread and Terri-bull. I love that little vehicle. It reminds me a drop ship that's full of troops.

Skytread's head looks great on almost any bot too.
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814436)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on August 11th, 2016 @ 3:39pm CDT
RodimusConvoy13 wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:The little vehicles are a lot of fun!

I'm going the same path as you will, going for Skytread for that drone

Skytread's head looks great on almost any bot too.

Good sign. I am hoping to use his head on Blitzwing should the colors work out and make that my generations Flywheels
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814463)
Posted by primalxconvoy on August 11th, 2016 @ 6:17pm CDT
Railbomb wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:
Cyberpath wrote:I do like to fiddle with Hardhead's drone while watching TV..

Kind of reminds me of Blitzwing.

I think Takara believes (as I do) that just selling a Headmaster with a vehicle is weak sauce. People won't buy them, especially at the price points Takara will sell them at. There also isn't any space on shop floors, as Adventure toys are already out. If you have noticed, TT has been popping non-RID figures into the Adventure line probably for this reason, too.

Also, in order to justify the more expensive price and to further distinguish it from the US version, they've given the vehicles names and new paint.

It wouldn't surprise me though that all of the orphaned headmasters will get proper releases with repainted bodies in the future.
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814473)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on August 11th, 2016 @ 7:00pm CDT
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814474)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 11th, 2016 @ 7:07pm CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:I find it funny there was a human character named Cancer, I guess it must mean something else in Japanese.
Thing is, he's a Chinese human. ;)

Though, the real world reason is likely that the toy was given the name "Cancer" first, and then the cartoon and manga came along and created the character as a human Headmaster Junior bonded to a lifeless Transtector.

As to why Takara named the toy "Cancer", since its altmode is a crab monster, the name most likely came from the Latin word for crab "cancer", which is used for the Zodiac sign, the constellation, and other crab-related things named "Cancer".
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814478)
Posted by primalxconvoy on August 11th, 2016 @ 7:12pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Thing is, he's a Chinese human. ;)

That is exactly why the name was chosen. Although now, I think Takara should have either used a Katakana rendering, or the official (US) English name, to avoid misconceptions. Imagine going into a ship shop in Japan and seeing Marlboro Wheeljack's box next to Shockwave and Cancer...
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814479)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 11th, 2016 @ 7:17pm CDT
primalxconvoy wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Thing is, he's a Chinese human. ;)

*shrug* Gundam Wing back in the day got away with a Mobile Suit called a Cancer, even in its English dub.
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814484)
Posted by primalxconvoy on August 11th, 2016 @ 8:04pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
primalxconvoy wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Thing is, he's a Chinese human. ;)

Back in the day, Hasbro christened a Dinobot "Slag", and only several years ago, there was a "Spastic/Spazmo" toy, which caused an incident in British-English speaking countries. Even Takara had problems releasing an MP re-release of their original Diaclone Marlborough Wheeljack, while during Binaltexh, Porsche and VW refused to allow Jazz and Bumblebee to have Beetle and Porsche alt modes.

What was once "OK", might not be so now.
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814486)
Posted by primalxconvoy on August 11th, 2016 @ 8:30pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
primalxconvoy wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Thing is, he's a Chinese human. ;)

What was once "OK", might not be so now.
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814490)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on August 11th, 2016 @ 9:21pm CDT

At any rate, this whole debate is kind of pointless IMO. We all know "Cancer" refers to the crab, yet we touchy people automatically associate it with the disease the moment we see it. Why? In fact, why aren't we associating the Zodiac sign with it?
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814491)
Posted by primalxconvoy on August 11th, 2016 @ 9:35pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:The thing is, the Japanese language is kind of funny when it comes to loanwords vs. original terms. For starters, 悪性腫瘍 akushoushuyou, or for short 癌 gan, is their word for "malignent tumor" or "cancer". Looking through the Japanese wiki on the matter, I don't see キャンサー kyansaa anywhere, but it is used on the disambugation page for it. This tells me that our word "cancer" isn't that associated with the disease there (and more with crabs) and thus more acceptable.

That's not entirely my point. In my post, I alluded to terms that, either at the time or in the culture, were fine, but when exposed to outside/present day viewpoints, is called into question. Thus, if the katakana rendering was used, Takara would have more scope to claim that no harm was intended. However, by using the English rendering, especially on a toy that, in its present form isn't an actual crab, Takara have exposed themselves to misunderstanding and/or complaints.

Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814494)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 11th, 2016 @ 10:13pm CDT
primalxconvoy wrote:Personally, I think that, as they used English, then they should have used the English names, as that's what they have done with most of their recent releases.
Yes, but they do that only for the characters who are the same characters as their Western counterparts (which, admittedly, is the majority of the figures in the Legends line, but not all of them). Squeezeplay and Cancer, however, are counterparts but not the same character.

And they did use the Katakana rendering for Cancer's name in addition to the Latin one. And it's not like Takara's selling the toy in an English-speaking market with the Western mindset that auto-associates the word with the disease. Like JelZe said, they're selling it in a non-English market whose mindset more likely associates the word more predominately with the crab connotations.
Re: In Box Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG24 Shockwave and Cancer (1814497)
Posted by primalxconvoy on August 11th, 2016 @ 10:37pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

I don't agree. The Katakana would have been for the Japanese name, with the English name using the "correct" English name. Having the indirect English name is what is being debated here.

Also, the market is also debatable. Takara products are also sold in parts of Asia, which Hasbro Asia sells. These areas may also have a higher level of English ability than Japan. Also, the market can also be irrelevant to the constrain. With the controversy over the "Spastic" TF toy, Hasbro stated that the toy was only going to be sold in American-English speaking markets, rather than British-English speaking ones. That still wasn't enough and Hasbro Acquiesced, putting stickers over the offending term.

Likewise, Takara changed their designs for Marlbro Wheeljack, due to legal pressure from the company behind the brand, even though Japan Tobacco is the big boy in Japan, with the American company having no clear legal way to take action or force them to change the design. Takara even went to the trouble of not selling it outside Japan (in Asia), even though Philip Morris again had no legal power to stop them (they only had power in the USA).

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Titan Changer Megatron Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Brawn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Clobber" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Robots In Disguise Combiner Force Sideswipe & Bumblebee MIX LOT 3’" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots In Disguise Combiner Force Stuntwing Mini Con" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Robots in Disguise GRIMLOCK Hasbro Warrior Class Combiner Force NIP" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Stormshot Jet Robots In Disguise Warrior Class Jet" on EBAY
Buy "STRONGARM Transformers - Robots in Disguise" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege Soundwave lot complete WFC Cassette Corp Ratbat Rumble Ravage" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise - CLIFFJUMPER  - NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege Soundblaster complete WFC 35TH Anniversary Generations" on EBAY