Transformers News: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime

Friday, October 12th, 2018 3:44PM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 17,744

Courtesy of an old source from whom we had heard little in the past couple of weeks, Weibo user TF-factory over here, we have the first images of the new packaging for the upcoming Transformers: War for Cybertron Siege toyline - specifically for the Voyager Autobot Optimus Prime and Decepticon Megatron characters!

Seen both in the new battle heavy artwork boxes, with plastic window and close to collectible series such as Star Wars and Marvel Legends, and in their stock images of both robot and vehicle modes, you can check them out below, and let us know what you think of the next iteration of storytelling and toys in the Transformers brand.

Credit(s): Weibo tf-factory
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988903)
Posted by DaXtraLargeRobot on October 12th, 2018 @ 4:05pm CDT
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988905)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on October 12th, 2018 @ 4:19pm CDT
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988906)
Posted by Randomhero on October 12th, 2018 @ 4:28pm CDT
DaXtraLargeRobot wrote:Is it just me or does it look like Prime's chest opens? Does anyone know if that's just part of the transformation? Back on topic though, the packaging looks great and I love the grey that they're using on Megatron. This entire line looks great, I haven't been this excited for a new Transformers line since, well, ever.

It’s where his head goes
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988907)
Posted by Randomhero on October 12th, 2018 @ 4:28pm CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:And they're back to using packaging that will make it impossible to store the boxes.

A cure for the common hoarder
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988908)
Posted by carytheone on October 12th, 2018 @ 4:32pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:
A cure for the common hoarder
I've given up on keeping regular mainline boxes. I just toss them all in the recycling bin.

It's actually quite freeing :DANCE:
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988911)
Posted by Emerje on October 12th, 2018 @ 4:39pm CDT
Coptur wrote:Did anyone ask if say Nightflight & Tailwind were going to join their team mates at some point?

At SDCC they said they don't have plans to do the other halves of any of the teams. :(

I am surprised we've gone this far and the only Micromasters out of the 10 we've seen that share parts are Red Heat and Bigshot. That's pretty crazy, especially when Stakeout could have easily been a retool of Road Handler.

Emerje
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988912)
Posted by DaXtraLargeRobot on October 12th, 2018 @ 4:44pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:

It’s where his head goes

Oh yeah, I see it now, I wonder if it'll have a molded in matrix like the RTS deluxe did.
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988913)
Posted by Emerje on October 12th, 2018 @ 4:56pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:

It’s where his head goes

And probably some of the truck parts like the grill slip inside his chest in bot mode.

The symbols after the names that we saw before with the packaged Battle Masters are back, but they're different from the two symbols we saw before. They could still be based on Cybertron cities, though Prime's doesn't look like it represents Iacon as well as the previous symbols did, but Megatron's does look a little like Kaon, maybe more than the previous symbol did. The mystery continues. :-?

Emerje
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988919)
Posted by Silverwing on October 12th, 2018 @ 6:24pm CDT
We've had a lot of great packaging over the years, but this is one of my absolute favorites! I can't wait for this line to start hitting shelves.
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988923)
Posted by bengear on October 12th, 2018 @ 6:49pm CDT
Sentinel_Primal wrote:
bengear wrote:is it me or does fully armored UM have forced ankle tilt? That is kind of a bummer but it looks like his feet are set at a slightly crooked angle (something that annoys me, especially if pretty much all of the others have nicely freely tilting ankles). :BOOM:

I think it's just you. Looking at the in hand pics from the Tokyo Model show it looks like he has normal ankle tilts. They just keep posing him with the A pose

i dunno, i’m not entirely convinced. those official pics on pg 95 of this thread look suspicious... the front on pic, legs together, show tilted feet and none of the others do. the view of the back of the legs doesn’t seem to indicate much articulation there either, almost like the bottom of foot is pegged on that white peg. the front feet look like they’re in the same position as the diorama pics from sdcc. i hope i’m wrong!

not a deal breaker but i’m not a fan of forced foot pose position. [-(
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988924)
Posted by Seibertron on October 12th, 2018 @ 6:50pm CDT

Quite the opposite, actually. If you flip one of them around, they fit together perfectly. These should save space for those who keep their packages or keep the figures in their packages.
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988928)
Posted by Cobotron on October 12th, 2018 @ 7:21pm CDT
bengear wrote:
Sentinel_Primal wrote:

not a deal breaker but i’m not a fan of forced foot pose position. [-(
This caught my attention. Not a huge fan of forced A stance, but I am a HUGE fan of Ultra Magnus. Went back to study the pics.

It looks like the white hinge might be the one that is there for ankle tilt in this pic. I hope that's the case.
Only time will tell.
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988933)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on October 12th, 2018 @ 8:23pm CDT
Yeah, that looks like it can actually act as a space saver when storing boxes of the same size side-by-side, and the overall shape is "Rectangular solid with a corner cut off", so they should still stack reasonably well. Unlike certain RiD (2001), Universe 1, and Unicron Trilogy packaging.

My thoughts on all who've been revealed so far:
Optimus: Want him even though I already got CW Optimus as my Generations Voyager Prime, because he's the best yet from what I've seen. Yeah, he's been done multiple times... but IMO I would rather have them keep trying and keep improving until I feel they make the grade.
Classics Voyager Prime is undersize and some of the design and aesthetic choices made rub me the wrong way. Combiner Wars Prime is better in size and he's passable in both modes (and has a version of the G1 gun), and the combiner torso thing has fun value to it, but that same feature limits him in other ways. Titans Return Voyager Optimus is fine... but he's a new version of Laser Optimus Prime, so he doesn't fit the particular bill.

Sideswipe: Want. Design looks good and the Universe version is rarespensive now. And unlike some people I'm willing to wait for them to do a Sunstreaker.

Red Alert: Probably pass, on account of already having the Generations one.

Hound: Maybe. I have an incomplete Universe Hound, but he might save me some modding work and he's probably bigger.

Chromia: Take my money. A good execution even if the transformation scheme is inaccurate.

Ironhide: Want.

Ultra Magnus: Take my money. The RiD-homage vehicle mode promises better car carrying capacity in the constraints of the Leader price point, and the robot mode looks awesome. The separate cab that becomes a Voyager-size robot is great for scale, and opens up the possibility of a 3P or homemade G1-style trailer for a bigger armor mode. And speaking of the G1 trailer, it's kinda amusing to me that in a line with the Cybertronian alt-mode schtick, Ultra Magnus got a trailer that's more earthly-looking than his original toy's (which aesthetically is more in line of the regular Diaclone mechs than it is with the "Real and Robo" Car Robots, and thus looks futuristic/alien)

Fire"drive": Want but needs modding to be a more accurate Firebolt. Also wonder if he could be turned into Recoil.

Lionizer: Finally one of these little guys that's a sword. Looks pretty cool, I'd like at least one.

Cog: Yes please. The C.O.M.B.A.T. system promises to be fun, and he makes Fort Max more complete. And he saves me the trouble of making a G1-style gun for Cerebros myself. It's kind of a pity that both his guns are Cerebros' gun instead of one being his own gun, though.

Starscream: Looks alright, might buy to have a less-buff Voyager Starscream. I like the Tetrajet mode on him. It's not the greatest, but it's decent. And in a way, it's amusingly accurate because just like the cartoon he goes from Earth robot mode with F-15 kibble... to a quasi-pyramidal Cybertronian mode. And I'll definitely get the others if they're made.

Megatron: Kinda disappointed they didn't go the Submarine-that's-totally-not-a-raygun route, but what they did doesn't look bad. And I like the sword. I'm hoping that his transformation engineering will allow approximating such a "submarine" mode with little to no modding, but I won't be upset if it doesn't.

"Refraktor": Take my money thrice. Looks like an awesome update of the little guy(s), and provides us with cartoon-style Spectro and Spyglass. And his robot mode probably is more Legends-size, with the accessories making up the rest of the Deluxe mass. I actually have the original Reflector as it happens, but a version that's more cartoon-accurate and has less-bricky robot modes will be sweet.

Skytread: Looks good, and like the name (I mean really, if you consider what it is everyone always says about Flywheels). It's a little disappointing the components don't have robot modes of their own like with Battletrap... but only a little. After all, it's not like the components had separate robot modes on the original, and doing it with PotP Battletrap really comes down to two factors: The "All retail Deluxes are combiner limbs" thing barring him from the Deluxe price point, and just trying to see how best to sell a Duocon under the modern price-point system. And it had its drawback - people being able to find one half, but not the other. That won't be an issue with Skytread.

Shockwave: Voyager-size robot mode looks good, I think the armor mode is alright, it's basically a weapons harness rig. I think it looks cool. It might lean more toward function-over-form... but that's kinda appropriate for the character XD. The core Voyager figure forms a serviceable "submarine" mode on its own, and I think the Revenge-esque combined cruiser mode can probably be fanmoded into a larger version (that may even be intended, given the duplicated calf detail on the add-on parts. As for why they made him a Leader in the first place... I would guess for the sake of having a Leader-class Decepticon on the shelves at all. A "Submarine" Megatron could have worked for that too, considering the add-ons for the original's gun mode, but I would guess that Shockwave's Leader design was already ready to go. (EDITED AFTER READING THE THREAD PAGES I'D SKIPPED, AND THEREBY REFRESHED MY MEMORY OF SOME DETAILS)
Also, who is this Energon Bulkhead people keep comparing him to? The only Energon Bulkhead I know oof is the one from Transformers: Energon who forms the torso of Bruticus Maximus.

Soundwave: Want. I'm okay with the Cybertronian hoverbarge mode, and we've had confirmation of the lamp-post mode so that's good too... And honestly, looking at his knee joints and the transformation joints for his shoulders... Odds are good that a cassette-player fan-mode is possible with little to no modding. I also love that he has an extended index finger to push his eject button with.

Brunt: Want. And some compatibility with Trypticon is practically a given even without modding, considering the 5mm peg standard.

Blowpipe: Want (Since I plan to get TR Triggerhappy) but needs modding.

Aimless: Same as with Blowpipe.

Laserbeak and Ravage: Want, but dunno if I'd keep Laserbeak's head as Cybertronian. I think this size (basically their original toys' size, looks like) will work better for scaling with Generations toys than the Legends/Scout versions from TR. I would treat those as upgraded versions. Looking at them though, I do have to wonder.... Am I the only one who can picture Eaglebreast and Tigerbreast retools of them?

Other Micromasters: Maybe, but lower-priority. Also, looking at some of them... Who wants to bet on a con-exclusive retool set involving three of them, as the Star Saber from Armada?

Omega Supreme: I'll have to wait and see, but he's a probable want.

Re: G1 Trypticon and his being bigger and correspondingly more expensive... Remember that the whole "rigid price point" thing hadn't been fully codified yet. It would probably take threat of violence to snap Hasbro out of the mentality now, and that's a path we don't want to go down. The only palatable and moral way to do it would be buying enough of a stake in the company to make them listen, but I highly doubt that's going to happen either. What we got in Titans Return looks to be a solid enough figure with lots of play value.
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988935)
Posted by #Sideways# on October 12th, 2018 @ 8:44pm CDT
MEGATRON'S HEAD

IN THE PACKAGING

OH GOD

Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988936)
Posted by Wireless_Phantom on October 12th, 2018 @ 8:53pm CDT
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:Yeah, that looks like it can actually act as a space saver when storing boxes of the same size side-by-side, and the overall shape is "Rectangular solid with a corner cut off", so they should still stack reasonably well. Unlike certain RiD, Universe 1, and Unicron Trilogy packaging

My thoughts on all who've been revealed so far:
Sideswipe: Want. Design looks good and the Universe version is rarespensive now
Red Alert: Probably pass, on account of already having the Generations one.
Chromia: Take my money. A good exec
Ironhide: Want.
Firedrive: Want but needs modding
Reflector: Take my money thrice. Looks like an awesome update of the little guy(s), and provides us with cartoon-style Spectro and Spyglass. And his robot mode probably is more Legends-size, with the accessories making up the rest of the Deluxe mass. I actually have the original as it happens, but a version that's more cartoon-accurate and has less-bricky robot modes will be sweet.
Shockwave: Voyager-size robot mode looks good, I think the armor mode is alright, it's basically a weapons harness rig. I think it looks cool. It might lean more toward function-over-form... but that's kinda appropriate for the character XD. I think a fan version of the space cruiser mode (which for my money looks more like the Revenge from the movie minus its keel than it does the Nemesis) that forms an approximation of Shocky's gun mode is going to be possible especially with the duplicate calf detail. And it's not like the original toy's gun mode didn't require adding accessory parts on to complete! And for those who don't own it, I'll tell you right now that G1 Shockwave is fairly big in toy form. Think he's taller than Blaster, even, and bulky too. As for why they made him a Leader in the first place... I would guess for the sake of having a Leader-class Decepticon on the shelves at all.
Blowpipe: Want (Since I plan to get TR Triggerhappy) but needs modding.
Laserbeak and Ravage: Want, but dunno if I'd keep Laserbeak's head as Cybertronian. I think this size (basically their original toys' size, looks like) will work better for scaling with Generations toys.

Other Micromasters: Maybe.

Omega Supreme: I'll have to wait and see, but he's a probable want.

Personally I think I'm just going to buy everything :SG-CONS:
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988939)
Posted by Emerje on October 12th, 2018 @ 9:50pm CDT
Took a lot of looking because Hasbro is really trying to sell the ankle tilts on all of these figures, but I did find one blurry shot with Magnus' feet flat. It's from the promo video at SDCC.

UMfeet.JPG

A little hard to tell since the bottom of his feet are obscured, but his left foot (our right) is not tilted at all, the outer edge is off the ground.

Emerje
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988940)
Posted by ausbot on October 12th, 2018 @ 9:57pm CDT
I wish they still came with collector cards.
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988941)
Posted by Skritz on October 12th, 2018 @ 10:04pm CDT
While I'm not going to do a full 'buy list', I will say that I'm definitely giving priority to these characters who aren't 'early G1' or guys I already have. Main exception to the early G1 rule are Shockwave and Soundwave, both iconic characters which I lack a fitting representation.

As such, here are those figure I intend to NOT buy right off the bat, at least as the current characters. As retools? Maybe.
-Hound: It looks quite good but he's a low priority deluxe.
-Sideswipe: Not interested.
-Starscream: It may sound heretical, but in part I'm actually pretty happy with POTP Starscream. Yes, really. Fight me! This may change if the mold end up being used for other seekers beside the main trio.
-Optimus Prime and Megatron: I'm very torn, as these are really good take on the characters but I've already got a CHUG version of these two.

Those which are a 'never buy':
-Chromia: I just don't like it.
-Omega Supreme: I don't have the space to collect Titan-class figure. :(

Everything else I quite like and might even like better if it get retooled into a character which interest me more, for example if Hound gets...I don't know, a Roadbuster or Ironfist retool?
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988945)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on October 12th, 2018 @ 11:50pm CDT
Why not a Detritus redeco of Hound?

Edited my previous post to expand and clarify some things. Also, some more thoughts now that I've fully caught up:

Regarding the gun-mode thing and gun modes getting passed off as other stuff even if they're space guns... Retailers being leery of gun modes is only one factor. The other big factor is something that was talked about by the people behind Transformers (2007 regarding their decision to not have Megatron turn into a gun. They said something along the lines of that being like Darth Vader turning into his lightsabre and having to be swung around by someone else. That's the other problem with full-size Transformers that turn into any sort of handheld weapon. Even back in the eighties there were people puzzled by - or even outright derisive of - Megatron turning into such a "dependent" form, and the same attitude would apply to gun modes in general (especially as the character's only mode). Heck, when Megatron became Galvatron... Not only did they change his handgun mode to a more store-palatable raygun, they made it a secondary mode while his primary altmode became a self-propelled gun.
And so, that's the other reason for passing off Shockwave and Sixshot's gun modes as submarines: Not just because it's more palatable, but also because unlike a handgun... a submarine or spaceship is something that can move and strike under its own power. I mean, yeah, Shockwave could fire under his own power AS a gun technically... But as we all saw, his aim ain't exactly the best:
"You cannot escape."
*Shoots, Skyfire barely has to dodge, the blast blows a convenient gaping hole in the wall*
"I can now"

I saw someone complaining about the cockpits.
1. Multiple different continuities G1 and otherwise have shown the windscreens to act as "eyes" in altmode
2. Like it or not, the MTMTE Cybertronian modes had cockpits or at least windscreens. So take your complaints to Floro Dery, why don't ya?
Re: In Package Images of Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Megatron and Optimus Prime (1988949)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on October 13th, 2018 @ 12:11am CDT
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

The cars comprise a significant amount of Micromasters, with at least 3 teams dedicated to them:

- Race Car Patrol
- Sports Car Patrol
- Race Track Patrol

The Sports Car Patrol is forthcoming, with the members looking similar to Swindler and Roadhandler.

The Battlemasters already have a co-tool pair btw: Aimless and Blowpipe share torsos.

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars - MEGATRON Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Evolution 3-Pack (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #211 - On The Prowl
"On The Prowl"
Posted: Sunday, November 4th, 2018

Buy "Transformers g1 universe gold bumblebee goldbug great shape" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS FALL OF CYBERTRON FOC SOUNDBLASTER 100% COMPLETE! VOYAGER CLASS" on EBAY
Buy "PLAYSKOOL HEROES FLIP RACERS TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS HOIST THE TOW-BOT" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Fall of Cybertron G2 Bruticus MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Bulkhead" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Deluxe Arcee with 3 blades" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Deluxe Starscream with painted missiles" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Deluxe Bumblebee with dual blaster" on EBAY