Sunday, November 26th, 2017 7:58pm CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 15,804

Once again courtesy of fellow Seibertronian Cyberpath and their social media foraging, we have some new images of a Takara Tomy Transformers Legends figure, via Twitter account portarmy - a Japanese toy blogger - with spotlight taker LG-53 Broadside! The images, all mirrored below for your viewing convenience, are comparison shots between the Legends (left) and Hasbro Titans Return (right) versions of the toy, its jet and boat mode, the Headmaster and Titan Master, and the robots modes, plus some shots with mold-mate Tidal Wave.

According to the photographer's own description, both the grey and the red have been darkened in hue, with the latter also showing up more overall, as the Hasbro version adheres to the toy, where the Takara Tomy one is closer to the cartoon; plus, the eyes of the robot head are a different colour altogether: red for Hasbro, blue for Takara Tomy. Check them out below!

Transformers News: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside

Credit(s): portarmy

Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923747)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on November 26th, 2017 @ 9:30pm CST
And yet, they couldn't be bothered to fix the tail fins? UGGGGGGhhhhhhhhh.
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923765)
Posted by RustedCross on November 26th, 2017 @ 10:24pm CST
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923766)
Posted by william-james88 on November 26th, 2017 @ 10:25pm CST
Octobotimus wrote:so...... the takara one that is more expensive......has less paint. 10/10 logic

Oh, not this shit again. Takara is only more expensive to people outside japan due to import fees, period. No other reason. If it was the same exact toy as hasbro, it would still be more expensive because of that (case in point, LG Trypticon)

The reverse works too, Hasbro toys are more expensive in Japan.

Check out this japanese listings from a reputable online retailer (like the japanese version of BBTS) for Hasbro's overlord, it's $100

http://www.redmercury.co.jp/shop/detail ... =RED-14034

And the only reason its more expensive is because Japanese people have to pay extra import fees for Hasbro products just like anyone outside japan has to pay extra import fees for Takara products.

Black Bumblebee wrote:And yet, they couldn't be bothered to fix the tail fins? UGGGGGGhhhhhhhhh.

There is nothing to fix according to them, that is how they toy was designed. And by them, no less.
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923774)
Posted by Qwan on November 26th, 2017 @ 10:48pm CST
RustedCross wrote:Has anyone tried swapping the red fins for the grey fins, and then flipping them around? I’m wondering if they would fit better that way.

I don't believe the grey and red fins can be swapped with each other, but swapping the leg each fin is attached to and flipping them around helps immensely. The kibble on the carrier mode's underside gets a tiny bit more noticeable and you have to mess with 'em a bit more in robot mode, but it's a decent trade-off IMO.

Slightly-above-potato-quality demonstrative images (utilising the Hasbro version, natch):
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923775)
Posted by RustedCross on November 26th, 2017 @ 10:53pm CST
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923776)
Posted by Qwan on November 26th, 2017 @ 11:06pm CST
RustedCross wrote:Ya, I have seen that configuration, and I agree it helps. But I’m really curious to know if the red ones can actually go where the grey ones are. Have you tried? Do you know for sure that they don’t fit?

Haven't tried it recently, but I seem to recall being unable to do it back when I first grabbed Broady earlier this year. I'll check and see for certain when I get the chance later today.
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923777)
Posted by RustedCross on November 26th, 2017 @ 11:07pm CST
Thanks...I appreciate it.
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923778)
Posted by Va'al on November 26th, 2017 @ 11:08pm CST
Despite the reports - again, we reported on what sources have sent out, back here - it looks like some fans have already acquired a copy of the latest Takara Tomy Transformers Legends exclusive set: LG-EX God Ginrai, the combined and packed together form of Super Ginrai (Powermaster Optimus Prime in the Anglosphere) and Godbomber.

Previously released as separate items in the same line, as LG-35 Super Ginrai and LG-42 Godbomber, the new set includes different decos with some new added chrome, plus new Titan Masters (Headmasters in the Japanese release of the toys) Cab and Minerva, some clear plastic on the varios alt-mode windows, and you can see it all below, in comparison shots for the various modes, including some size comparisons with other figures and in-hand images (including in-packaging) courtesy of the Hong Kong HK-TF Facebook group!

PLEASE NOTE:
Sabrblade wrote:the LG-EX version seen here in these pics is also wearing a Perfect Effect upgrade kit, making it look even more different from the normal version of God Ginrai than it really is.

Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923780)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 26th, 2017 @ 11:34pm CST
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923781)
Posted by Va'al on November 26th, 2017 @ 11:41pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:Note that the LG-EX version seen here in these pics is also wearing a Perfect Effect upgrade kit, making it look even more different from the normal version of God Ginrai than it really is.

A very good point that I intended to include, will edit now!
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923785)
Posted by primalxconvoy on November 27th, 2017 @ 12:13am CST
william-james88 wrote:

Oh, not this **** again. Takara is only more expensive to people outside japan due to import fees, period. No other reason. If it was the same exact toy as hasbro, it would still be more expensive because of that (case in point, LG Trypticon)

The reverse works too, Hasbro toys are more expensive in Japan.

http://www.redmercury.co.jp/shop/detail ... =RED-14034

That's not really true. Japanese products are usually more expensive for a number of reasons. One of them is a protected market. Basically, things like CDs, for example, are much more expensive in Japan, to the point that an import CD of a non-Japanese artist is actually cheaper than the same CD printed in, or for, the Japanese market. This is also one of the reasons Japanese products feature "extra" features, items or content than equivalent products outside it; to be competitive and/or give a reason to buy the Japanese version.

Takara TFs can be found cheaper, at times, if sold by Hasbro Asia, while buying official Hasbro TFs from BBTS and importing them to Japan is fairly cheap.

Japan has some cheap stuff, like food, etc, but many of their products, such as TFs ARE more expensive than foreign versions.
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923788)
Posted by Qwan on November 27th, 2017 @ 12:42am CST
Qwan wrote:

Just checked Broadside, and yeah the clips for the two types of tailfins are totally different dimensions - you won't be able to swap them with each other. No luck, sorry man Image
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923790)
Posted by william-james88 on November 27th, 2017 @ 12:55am CST
primalxconvoy wrote:However, Japanese shops are rarely connected enough to get their foreign products from wholesalers, so they but them at retail and then charge customers from that point in, hence the massive markup.

The site I showed, red mercury, must have its own channel for hasbro products since it gets them before anyone else, so them procuring it at retail to then resell it doesnt make sense time frame wise. they also have a nice tight schedule where a whole line will be available at once, as opposed to product by product, so I think there is a bit more going on there.

I do thank you for the detailed reasons why a toy would be more expensive in Japan ceteris paribus, and I am glad to see it indeed has nothing to do with the paintjob :lol:

The only point I was trying to make was that the differences in prices have more to do with other factors than paint.

And in any case, LG Trypticon is all the proof we need that takara prices have nothing to do with the different deco they choose, so I am still surprised this notion keeps coming up.
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923793)
Posted by RustedCross on November 27th, 2017 @ 1:16am CST
Qwan wrote:
Qwan wrote:

Thanks for checking that out!
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923820)
Posted by durroth on November 27th, 2017 @ 8:33am CST
man, displaying the box set ginrai with all the PE accessories makes it a *really* lopsided photo comparison. The sword and gun *alone* make it look much more premium than it really is
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923824)
Posted by Rated X on November 27th, 2017 @ 9:12am CST
william-james88 wrote:

Well you know where I stand on the Takara vs. Hasbro price differences. Weve been through it before and I damn sure dont feel like going through it again. I agree that what you say holds some truth. But I also believe all the so called shipping and import factors vary from dealer to dealer. So basically whoevers got the hookup is going to unload them cheaper. I also believe some dealers are not in a hurry to unload quickly hence the higher markups. In a market where online sales become the norm and brick and mortar sales become obselete, the terms "American market" and "Asian market" have almost zero meaning for Transformers. (Not talking about speciality kabaya or bear brick crap) Its all about the almighty paypal market. Theyll slap a delivery sticker on it and deliver to Afganistan if some guy wants to pay the price and hope the mail truck doesnt get hijacked. I only been to Japan in transit and at the time Takara Transformers Animated deluxes were selling at $40 USD in the airport gift shop and were at least 6 months old at the time. Granted airport gift shops sell things top dollar but thats still a far cry from the $20 a Hasbro deluxe cost in Miami International airport that year on the same trip. One thing I truely believe is that Japan is dealing with the decline in the popularity of action figures (among kids) in a different way that Hasbro does. Both companies seem to be gearing more towards adult G1 themed products. However Takara is more focused on selling toys to adults while Hasbro is trying to convince kids 1986 G1 themed characters are still cool. (Cooler than that PlayStation or IPhone that more kids would rather have than action figures) Takara isnt stupid. They jack up the prices tremendously under the "E-Hobby" banner and thus has nothing to do with import costs or shipping. E-Hobby is basically a way to charge adult collectors more. (Im not disputing that it isnt an actual company loosely affiliated with Takara) But I will say that I dont see any difference in quality or deco from regular takara releases to justify the increased price. (Runamuck vs. Runabout) Some might say limited release, but I crap on that theory. It doesnt cost them any more to make 1,000 figures than it does 5,000 figures. We got an idea how on average how many people worldwide were willing to pre-order Grand Maximus and it was under 3000. (Probably much less if you dont include the dealers who were willing to invest long term and buy more than they got pre-orders for) So that gives you a rough idea of how big the so called "high end" transformers fanbase really is. Somewhere between 2000 and 5000 collectors worldwide give or take. Do you really believe Takaras not going to take these folks wallets to the limit? Cmon now...Theyre gonna get them (including myself and probally you too) for every penny they can milk out of our rectums lol. They know were getting older and the G1 market for CHUG will die down slowly. Its not the same as vintage G1 toys that are of age to be true collectibles. CHUG is just for G1 fanboys in their 30s and 40s (like us) who want to re-live our youth with articulated figures instead of bricks. CHUG has always been for us. Hasbro just trys to sell it to todays kids and in the last 2 years it has worked. But dont think for a second that the sudden burst of G1 love doesnt signal a shift in marketing strategy by Hasbro. They pretty much killed RID and the TLK line failed miserably. But CHUG is flying off the shelves. Is it really 5-8 year olds screaming "bring back the 80s" ??? I doubt it. Its a marketing switch in my opinion. The focus is shifting towards adult collectors and try to grab as many kids in the process as possible. Thats where the brand is heading. Remember Hasbro designs the molds, Takara just uses them after Hasbro is done with them. They add the cool paint. Hasbro probally collabs with Takara on deco choices in attempt to get impatient collectors to double dip. As I said earlier, the real market is online sales. Hell I wouldnt be suprised if there are more Takara products sold outside of Japan than in Japan. And we all know they are not made in Japan. The factory is in either Vietnam or China because no labor laws make it more profitable. Im not an insider, but I highly doubt Takara pays shipping twice to get a gigantic shipping crate of toys to BBTS or TFsource. Im fairly certain the crate ships directly from the factory in Asia. (Not to Japan then to BBTS which would be a waste of money) Its all about the money. Dont fool yourself. Take a trip to Japan and visit various hobby shops and retail toy chains and report back to us with pictures you took with your own camera confirming you bought a takara deluxe figure for $17 USD in multiple locations. Im not saying it couldnt happen. I am saying I doubt it will happen. As far as the whole Takara Trypticon "same deco different box" debate, I speculate there is a good reason for this....GIGASTORM !!! Basically I think they are holding the nice cartoon accurate dark black plastic we all wanted for Gigastorm. Make the purple plastic blue and add a nose horn and BAM...instant $$$$$$$$$. But if Takara had given a darker cartoon accurate black deco to Trypticon, less people would be likely to double dip on the same really big expensive mold. The horn and a blue full tilt couldnt sell Gigastorm alone. (Just like the free pretender couldnt help Grand Maximus hit 3000) So its probably a well thought out marketing scheme to get the most bang for their buck from a repaint. Its all about the money. It has nothing to do with various alleged "markets". Thats my opinion anyways.
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923828)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on November 27th, 2017 @ 9:45am CST
I'd like to know how to get the wings down at the shoulders. I could only manage to get them to look right at the shoulders.
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923835)
Posted by Kyleor on November 27th, 2017 @ 10:49am CST
No matter your opinion on if Takara or Hasbro is better, it's always interesting to see the color/paint/sticker/accessory choices (for better or worse) made on the different versions of each figure.
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923836)
Posted by Seibertron on November 27th, 2017 @ 10:51am CST
Seibertron.com Members wrote:Said a bunch of stuff about Broadside ...

I love seeing everyone discuss those wings, yet I just keep hoping every time I see a news story about Broadside is that someone fixed his damn legs in jet mode (there's no excuse for that) or that an exclusive headset for the alternate head for Broadside would get made or the goofy goggle eyed version of Octane. I'll take a multi-pack please with all of the weird head variations!
Re: In-Hand Images and Comparisons of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-53 Broadside (1923845)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on November 27th, 2017 @ 12:00pm CST
But... the Takara version doesn't have less paint. It's about the same. The Hasbro version has stickers, which make it look more detailed.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Laserbeak" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Trypticon Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Generations Thrilling 30 Armada Starscream - deluxe" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations 30th Anniversary Thrilling 30 Armada Starscream" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Construct Bots Kit & Parts By Hasbro Ultimate Class E1:01 Megatron" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generation Combiner Wars 2015 G2 Deluxe Class Air Raid Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers AOE Deluxe Lot. Crosshairs and Drift" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers BumbleBee Studio Series Dropkick 22 Generations Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Loyal Subjects Optimus Prime Action Figure Funko Pop Autobot" on EBAY
Buy "transformers generations armada starscream" on EBAY