In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai

In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai

Sunday, November 26th, 2017 11:10pm CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 20,122

Despite the reports - again, we reported on what sources have sent out, back here - it looks like some fans have already acquired a copy of the latest Takara Tomy Transformers Legends exclusive set: LG-EX God Ginrai, the combined and packed together form of Super Ginrai (Powermaster Optimus Prime in the Anglosphere) and Godbomber.

Previously released as separate items in the same line, as LG-35 Super Ginrai and LG-42 Godbomber, the new set includes different decos with some new added chrome, plus new Titan Masters (Headmasters in the Japanese release of the toys) Cab and Minerva, some clear plastic on the varios alt-mode windows, and you can see it all below, in comparison shots for the various modes, including some size comparisons with other figures and in-hand images (including in-packaging) courtesy of the Hong Kong HK-TF Facebook group!

PLEASE NOTE:
Sabrblade wrote:the LG-EX version seen here in these pics is also wearing a Perfect Effect upgrade kit, making it look even more different from the normal version of God Ginrai than it really is.

Transformers News: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai

Credit(s): HK TF

This article was last modified on Sunday, November 26th, 2017 11:42pm CST

Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923780)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 26th, 2017 @ 11:34pm CST
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923781)
Posted by Va'al on November 26th, 2017 @ 11:41pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:Note that the LG-EX version seen here in these pics is also wearing a Perfect Effect upgrade kit, making it look even more different from the normal version of God Ginrai than it really is.

A very good point that I intended to include, will edit now!
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923785)
Posted by primalxconvoy on November 27th, 2017 @ 12:13am CST
william-james88 wrote:
Octobotimus wrote:so...... the takara one that is more expensive......has less paint. 10/10 logic

Oh, not this **** again. Takara is only more expensive to people outside japan due to import fees, period. No other reason. If it was the same exact toy as hasbro, it would still be more expensive because of that (case in point, LG Trypticon)

The reverse works too, Hasbro toys are more expensive in Japan.

Check out this japanese listings from a reputable online retailer (like the japanese version of BBTS) for Hasbro's overlord, it's $100

http://www.redmercury.co.jp/shop/detail ... =RED-14034

And the only reason its more expensive is because Japanese people have to pay extra import fees for Hasbro products just like anyone outside japan has to pay extra import fees for Takara products.

Black Bumblebee wrote:And yet, they couldn't be bothered to fix the tail fins? UGGGGGGhhhhhhhhh.

There is nothing to fix according to them, that is how they toy was designed. And by them, no less.

That's not really true. Japanese products are usually more expensive for a number of reasons. One of them is a protected market. Basically, things like CDs, for example, are much more expensive in Japan, to the point that an import CD of a non-Japanese artist is actually cheaper than the same CD printed in, or for, the Japanese market. This is also one of the reasons Japanese products feature "extra" features, items or content than equivalent products outside it; to be competitive and/or give a reason to buy the Japanese version.

Takara TFs can be found cheaper, at times, if sold by Hasbro Asia, while buying official Hasbro TFs from BBTS and importing them to Japan is fairly cheap.

Japan has some cheap stuff, like food, etc, but many of their products, such as TFs ARE more expensive than foreign versions.
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923788)
Posted by Qwan on November 27th, 2017 @ 12:42am CST
Qwan wrote:
RustedCross wrote:Ya, I have seen that configuration, and I agree it helps. But I’m really curious to know if the red ones can actually go where the grey ones are. Have you tried? Do you know for sure that they don’t fit?

Haven't tried it recently, but I seem to recall being unable to do it back when I first grabbed Broady earlier this year. I'll check and see for certain when I get the chance later today.

Just checked Broadside, and yeah the clips for the two types of tailfins are totally different dimensions - you won't be able to swap them with each other. No luck, sorry man Image
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923790)
Posted by william-james88 on November 27th, 2017 @ 12:55am CST
primalxconvoy wrote:However, Japanese shops are rarely connected enough to get their foreign products from wholesalers, so they but them at retail and then charge customers from that point in, hence the massive markup.

The site I showed, red mercury, must have its own channel for hasbro products since it gets them before anyone else, so them procuring it at retail to then resell it doesnt make sense time frame wise. they also have a nice tight schedule where a whole line will be available at once, as opposed to product by product, so I think there is a bit more going on there.

I do thank you for the detailed reasons why a toy would be more expensive in Japan ceteris paribus, and I am glad to see it indeed has nothing to do with the paintjob :lol:

The only point I was trying to make was that the differences in prices have more to do with other factors than paint.

And in any case, LG Trypticon is all the proof we need that takara prices have nothing to do with the different deco they choose, so I am still surprised this notion keeps coming up.
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923793)
Posted by RustedCross on November 27th, 2017 @ 1:16am CST
Qwan wrote:
Qwan wrote:

Thanks for checking that out!
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923820)
Posted by durroth on November 27th, 2017 @ 8:33am CST
man, displaying the box set ginrai with all the PE accessories makes it a *really* lopsided photo comparison. The sword and gun *alone* make it look much more premium than it really is
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923824)
Posted by Rated X on November 27th, 2017 @ 9:12am CST
william-james88 wrote:

Well you know where I stand on the Takara vs. Hasbro price differences. Weve been through it before and I damn sure dont feel like going through it again. I agree that what you say holds some truth. But I also believe all the so called shipping and import factors vary from dealer to dealer. So basically whoevers got the hookup is going to unload them cheaper. I also believe some dealers are not in a hurry to unload quickly hence the higher markups. In a market where online sales become the norm and brick and mortar sales become obselete, the terms "American market" and "Asian market" have almost zero meaning for Transformers. (Not talking about speciality kabaya or bear brick crap) Its all about the almighty paypal market. Theyll slap a delivery sticker on it and deliver to Afganistan if some guy wants to pay the price and hope the mail truck doesnt get hijacked. I only been to Japan in transit and at the time Takara Transformers Animated deluxes were selling at $40 USD in the airport gift shop and were at least 6 months old at the time. Granted airport gift shops sell things top dollar but thats still a far cry from the $20 a Hasbro deluxe cost in Miami International airport that year on the same trip. One thing I truely believe is that Japan is dealing with the decline in the popularity of action figures (among kids) in a different way that Hasbro does. Both companies seem to be gearing more towards adult G1 themed products. However Takara is more focused on selling toys to adults while Hasbro is trying to convince kids 1986 G1 themed characters are still cool. (Cooler than that PlayStation or IPhone that more kids would rather have than action figures) Takara isnt stupid. They jack up the prices tremendously under the "E-Hobby" banner and thus has nothing to do with import costs or shipping. E-Hobby is basically a way to charge adult collectors more. (Im not disputing that it isnt an actual company loosely affiliated with Takara) But I will say that I dont see any difference in quality or deco from regular takara releases to justify the increased price. (Runamuck vs. Runabout) Some might say limited release, but I crap on that theory. It doesnt cost them any more to make 1,000 figures than it does 5,000 figures. We got an idea how on average how many people worldwide were willing to pre-order Grand Maximus and it was under 3000. (Probably much less if you dont include the dealers who were willing to invest long term and buy more than they got pre-orders for) So that gives you a rough idea of how big the so called "high end" transformers fanbase really is. Somewhere between 2000 and 5000 collectors worldwide give or take. Do you really believe Takaras not going to take these folks wallets to the limit? Cmon now...Theyre gonna get them (including myself and probally you too) for every penny they can milk out of our rectums lol. They know were getting older and the G1 market for CHUG will die down slowly. Its not the same as vintage G1 toys that are of age to be true collectibles. CHUG is just for G1 fanboys in their 30s and 40s (like us) who want to re-live our youth with articulated figures instead of bricks. CHUG has always been for us. Hasbro just trys to sell it to todays kids and in the last 2 years it has worked. But dont think for a second that the sudden burst of G1 love doesnt signal a shift in marketing strategy by Hasbro. They pretty much killed RID and the TLK line failed miserably. But CHUG is flying off the shelves. Is it really 5-8 year olds screaming "bring back the 80s" ??? I doubt it. Its a marketing switch in my opinion. The focus is shifting towards adult collectors and try to grab as many kids in the process as possible. Thats where the brand is heading. Remember Hasbro designs the molds, Takara just uses them after Hasbro is done with them. They add the cool paint. Hasbro probally collabs with Takara on deco choices in attempt to get impatient collectors to double dip. As I said earlier, the real market is online sales. Hell I wouldnt be suprised if there are more Takara products sold outside of Japan than in Japan. And we all know they are not made in Japan. The factory is in either Vietnam or China because no labor laws make it more profitable. Im not an insider, but I highly doubt Takara pays shipping twice to get a gigantic shipping crate of toys to BBTS or TFsource. Im fairly certain the crate ships directly from the factory in Asia. (Not to Japan then to BBTS which would be a waste of money) Its all about the money. Dont fool yourself. Take a trip to Japan and visit various hobby shops and retail toy chains and report back to us with pictures you took with your own camera confirming you bought a takara deluxe figure for $17 USD in multiple locations. Im not saying it couldnt happen. I am saying I doubt it will happen. As far as the whole Takara Trypticon "same deco different box" debate, I speculate there is a good reason for this....GIGASTORM !!! Basically I think they are holding the nice cartoon accurate dark black plastic we all wanted for Gigastorm. Make the purple plastic blue and add a nose horn and BAM...instant $$$$$$$$$. But if Takara had given a darker cartoon accurate black deco to Trypticon, less people would be likely to double dip on the same really big expensive mold. The horn and a blue full tilt couldnt sell Gigastorm alone. (Just like the free pretender couldnt help Grand Maximus hit 3000) So its probably a well thought out marketing scheme to get the most bang for their buck from a repaint. Its all about the money. It has nothing to do with various alleged "markets". Thats my opinion anyways.
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923828)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on November 27th, 2017 @ 9:45am CST
I'd like to know how to get the wings down at the shoulders. I could only manage to get them to look right at the shoulders.
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923835)
Posted by Kyleor on November 27th, 2017 @ 10:49am CST
No matter your opinion on if Takara or Hasbro is better, it's always interesting to see the color/paint/sticker/accessory choices (for better or worse) made on the different versions of each figure.
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923836)
Posted by Seibertron on November 27th, 2017 @ 10:51am CST
Seibertron.com Members wrote:Said a bunch of stuff about Broadside ...

I love seeing everyone discuss those wings, yet I just keep hoping every time I see a news story about Broadside is that someone fixed his damn legs in jet mode (there's no excuse for that) or that an exclusive headset for the alternate head for Broadside would get made or the goofy goggle eyed version of Octane. I'll take a multi-pack please with all of the weird head variations!
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923845)
Posted by Hydrargyrus on November 27th, 2017 @ 12:00pm CST
But... the Takara version doesn't have less paint. It's about the same. The Hasbro version has stickers, which make it look more detailed.
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923883)
Posted by Cyberpath on November 27th, 2017 @ 5:05pm CST
Seibertron wrote:
Seibertron.com Members wrote:Said a bunch of stuff about Broadside ...

There's this fan-mode..

Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923891)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on November 27th, 2017 @ 6:19pm CST
Cyberpath wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
Seibertron.com Members wrote:Said a bunch of stuff about Broadside ...

There's this fan-mode..

Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923904)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on November 27th, 2017 @ 7:54pm CST
SpikeyTigertron wrote:
Cyberpath wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
Seibertron.com Members wrote:Said a bunch of stuff about Broadside ...

There's this fan-mode..

The problem with that mode is that the jet's underside won't be flush thanks to the pieces that become the front of the carrier mode.
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923906)
Posted by Qwan on November 27th, 2017 @ 8:16pm CST
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
SpikeyTigertron wrote:
Cyberpath wrote:There's this fan-mode..

Yeah, it really only looks good from some angles (like the one in the photo). Plus nothing really locks anywhere, either - not that it did fantastically in the "official" configuration but it was definitely a little bit more locked-together. Honestly once the tail-fins are turned around, I'm pretty okay with the stock jet-mode. It's no masterpiece but it's decent enough - the main attraction of Broadside for me is the robot mode anyway, which looks great from both Hasbro and Takara by the way :D
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923910)
Posted by william-james88 on November 27th, 2017 @ 9:02pm CST
SpikeyTigertron wrote:I still have no idea how the designers didn't see THIS and just run with it... versus whatever the hell they had for the "official mode"

Because it wont work in robot mode for flush kibble on the legs and they clearly valued the robot mode above all.

Also, this jet still sucks. We only think it looks better compared to what we got but if that was what they came out with I dont think any of us would have said it looked good.

Rated X wrote:Well you know where I stand on the Takara vs. Hasbro price differences. Weve been through it before and I damn sure dont feel like going through it again. I agree that what you say holds some truth.

Thanks, I always enjoy hearing from you too and I do totally agree that in this age of online ordering and companies which are purley operating online, having physical and national restrictions may sound counter intuitive, but I just think its laws not catching up fast enough to how commerce is changing and part of that is why we see such redundance and inneficience. And I do think its all about the money but not the way you think. I will discuss it more below when I get to that part. I will always agree that we should get a better price, but there seems to be some regulation in the way of that. But I am not an expert on it, I just read what other people, like Primal X Convoy, know.

Now for some other points I just wanted to clarify:

I really dont think this anecdotal evidence on one airport collectable shop is the way to go for looking at a trend. One of my local collectable shops had Leader Megatron for $80 but I wouldnt use that to establish the price. I will give some solid evidence showing some trends, below.

As for the animated line, most online stores in japan sold them for a far more reasonable standard deluxe price than what the airport store had it for.

You can still get sealed Animated toys on the secondary japanese market for not too far from that price.

Yes they are. And we know that. They said it in an interview during the arms micron line where they felt the way to attract kids was to add model kits to Transformers sets. Thats why you had those Japan exclusive arms micron.

And while I will 100% agree that takara has greater efforts on attracting collectors, due to their MP line (which Hasbro is slowly getting to, with new efforts coming from them for the MPM line), every Takara designer keeps repeating that they make toys for kids and Takara is itself a toy company for kids. Like this most recent interview with a Takara designer, he defintely thinks of kids first when doing his job, and of the memories he will create: https://www.seibertron.com/transformers ... shi/39584/

Bandai seems more collector oriented compared to takara, in my opinion.

This is really nebulous for me. But does that mean that you think the whole thing with Fun Pub was a scam and that they were able to make those figures more affordable and simply chose not to?
Because they have similar prices to e-hobby. Its all above what I am willing to pay for those molds, so I never really bothered with e-hobby or fun pub.

That grand Maximus thing is also something we arent sure of. But here are some facts.

BBTS and TFSource (and others) always go through Hasbro asia or another route for TTMall exclusives. Thats what they did with Defensor, remember that time when it came up on TTMall and you couldnt place an order right away? So international retailers dont necessarily get ttmall excusives from ttmall (as odd as that may sound).

Plus, BBTS is selling Fort Max at around $250 which is similar to what TTmall is selling it for (similar price point, but the dollar value may change based on exchange rates) so it clearly couldnt have been purchased from TTMall because if thats the case then BBTS could not sell it at that price.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/V ... ails/63049

So all evidence and common sense points to them getting it from a wholesaler/hasbro asia, as they always do. Which means that international sellers didnt go through TTMall and do not count towards the 3000 (since only TTmall orders go towards the goal), meaning that those 3000 collectors are all mainly in Japan and it is not a good enough indicator to assess how many collectors there are in the world.

CHUG aint flying off the shelves. The amount of Brawns I see could fill my back yard. Same for Broadside, and dont get me started on Doublecross

The only toys flying off the shelves are the new ones, but thats true for any TF toyline. Those wave 3 movie toys didnt last long when they first showed up. Also while I find it hard to believe, Hasbro CEO has repeatedly stated to reporters that the TLK line is selling well.

All evidence points towards marketting not giving a fuck and just wanting product on the shelves. The direction of the toyline seems to be based on the head designer which right now has a mission of bringing back G1 as much as possible. All he is asked is to keep costs down and product coming.

The more and more I read about it, the less Hasbro seems involved directly in the design aside from planning. The designs come from contracted artists who are not part of hasbro. Those designs are then sent to takara for them to figure out how to get from one mode to the next.

This shot here shows both the contracted artist and the result from Takara. Hasbro is not involved in this aside from telling both parties they want an Optimus Primal that will sell at $45 MSRP.

As you can see in that image above, it is takara who is designing the mold and they are doing so more and more frequently (or at least as a codevelopper, the point is, the roles each company plays seems more interconnected than ever).

That is super interesting, and it has me curious, but for some reason I feel takara doesnt give a crap about International collectors. I mean, if they would they would at least have their main site available in english no? And if the real market is online sales, I dont really get the point of what you are asking of me below:

We are talking about online, so why not stick to that? Plus the retail toy market in japan is getting ridiculously small with many reports of the only toys remainging stocked are shelfwarmers. And with us as colelctors in north america buying stuf on amazon and bbts, why not compare apples with apples. Say I am a collector in japan buying transformers online, here are my options for TLK Drift right this second.

All of which are $18 and under. So maybe not $17, but thats at least 3 places where you could get a deluxe for $18 USD and under in Japan. The price points in Japan are similar to the ones in the US so I am not really surprised by this result.

[/quote]

I dont think so either, that sounds super inneficient and plus it would put a strain for getting items on time. Also, BBTS and TFSource cant order directly from takara (BBTS has said they have a direct account with hasbro, but not with takara). So what happens instead is they order from a middleman wholesaler. Basically, he will buy a TF on wholesale from Takara for $10, then sell it to BBTS for $15 and then BBTS will sell it for $20. Arbitrary numbers of course, but everyone gets a cut, basically. Thats why the prices are higher for imports, anyone can correct me if this is dead wrong. And the japanese middle man could simply tell the factories to ship directly to BBTS instead of him, that would make sense to me. It could be that the vietnamese factory ships to the middleman who then ships to BBTS but that sounds super inneficient, but who knows what has to be done contractually.
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923935)
Posted by Cyberpath on November 28th, 2017 @ 2:33am CST
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
SpikeyTigertron wrote:
Cyberpath wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
Seibertron.com Members wrote:Said a bunch of stuff about Broadside ...

There's this fan-mode..

There's a fan-made upgrade kit for that --

Upgrades mounted in the plane fan-mode. Holds everything together tightly and fills in all the gaps.

For those of you starting to get your Broadside kits in, here's how you need to set everything up for fan-mode:

I just skipped Broadside altogether.
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923938)
Posted by Emerje on November 28th, 2017 @ 6:34am CST
Takara Tomy has another problem that they can neither do anything about nor will be going away any time soon (if at all): Japan's declining birth rate. They currently have the third lowest birth rate in the world and their population is aging rapidly. The population 14 and under is at a historic low, once at a high of around 30 million during the '50s and '60s it's currently around 18 million. Granted, those are still large numbers, but that kind of reduction in population isn't doing them any favors. Meanwhile the workforce age range, while also quickly declining as the elderly population stays the same, still makes up the largest portion of the population. So it really isn't any wonder why Takara Tomy would start to favor broader appealing retail lines like Legends and the Movies, or high priced collectible lines like Masterpiece (or even UW) over the younger skewing lines like Adventure (RID). It's also little surprise why try to make the figures look as good as possible while still managing to keep the prices relatively low.

Oh, and as far as Japanese retail prices go, here's a physical location:

Bic Camera
Capture1.JPG

Emerje
Re: In-Hand Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-EX God Ginrai (1923944)
Posted by william-james88 on November 28th, 2017 @ 8:10am CST
Cyberpath wrote:I just skipped Broadside altogether.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a great response. But seriously, I think he is quite fun and 2 of his 3 modes look really good.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Sky Lynx" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-47 Kickback & Double Dealer" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-38 Laserbeak & Apeface" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-37 Ravage & Bullhorn" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-28 Rewind & Nightbeat" on EBAY
Buy "G1 Transformers Botcon 2013 Classics SEEKER HOTLINK  Tech Card  & instuctions" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Blurr" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Challenge at Cybertron Rodimus and Titans Return Hot Rod" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Voyager ASTROTRAIN Loose Figure" on EBAY