In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking

In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking

Monday, May 21st, 2018 12:42pm CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 22,548

Fellow Transformers toy fan over on Twitter TCrackerGenmon has had the opportunity to play with an early sample of the Power of the Primes Titan class size offering set of the Predacons combiner figure: Predaking!

And that means we also have in hand images of the gestalt, plus some posing, and a closer look at the packaging and the beast modes specifically, though no individual robot modes as yet - though they are bound to surface soon enough - different from stock photography seen previously. Check the set of images out below, and join the discussion in the Energon Pub!

Transformers News: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking

Transformers News: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking

Transformers News: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking

Transformers News: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking

Transformers News: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking

Transformers News: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking

Transformers News: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking

Credit(s): TCrackerGenmon

Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960715)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on May 21st, 2018 @ 12:45pm CDT
Now that doesn't look too bad.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960722)
Posted by It Is Him on May 21st, 2018 @ 1:01pm CDT
NICE
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960723)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on May 21st, 2018 @ 1:06pm CDT
Black Hat wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:
Wolfman Jake wrote:Fans just don't know what they really want.

I think this is about as wrong as can be. The thoughts expressed about this set, both negative and positive, have been very clearly stated. I think the fans very much know whatnot we want, and for a lot of us, this isn't it. There are many who do want it.

I think fans know what they want today more than any period in the past.

This, pretty much. The problem isn't fans not knowing what they want, it's fan opinion being heavily divided. Some people think that because he's made of equally sized robots that he's perfect. I'm of the opinion that making him out of equally sized robots is a bad idea that's doomed to fail; Feral Rex had a kinda small torso with bloated feet, and this Predaking is a huge pile of compromises for the admittedly interesting transformation scheme.

I know what I want in a Predaking, and this isn't it.

This is exactly what I mean when I say "fans don't know what they want." It is super divisive, and not just in a "love it or hate it" sense. The "haters" all have completely different ideas about what would make the figure ideal for them, and frankly a lot of them want magic. A figure that is perfect in every way to their untenable ideal for less money than is reasonable in this market. We go through this almost every time too. There was much gnashing of teeth over the Devastator reveal, and now most people agree it's a must have, especially the Takara Unite Warriors release. Fans have VERY short memories about these things.

What gets me really about a lot of the naysayers on Predaking is the, frankly, delusional belief that the G1 version is somehow superior. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the only thing the G1 original figures have over the new Power of the Primes version is swords. These PotP figures have better engineering, articulation, and proportions (especially in the gestalt mode). The original had way "blockier" figures, with limited possibility. The combined form looked like it suffered from gigantism of the legs and arms. People are complaining about a skinny waist on this new PotP version!? That's the kind of insanity in the nitpicking that has made me really dismissive of a lot of the complaints this time around. They're just nonsensical.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960728)
Posted by Evil Eye on May 21st, 2018 @ 1:23pm CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:
Black Hat wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:
Wolfman Jake wrote:Fans just don't know what they really want.

I think fans know what they want today more than any period in the past.

I know what I want in a Predaking, and this isn't it.

The G1 version of Predaking isn't superior objectively, no, but that's because it was made over 30 years ago. And honestly, this newer version inherits a lot of the flaws from the original toy. The robots all being the same size means that in order to get a vaguely proportionate combined mode, the individuals suffered immensely (poor Headstrong and Tantrum...). The beast modes are just jokes that somehow manage to look dorkier than the G1 originals. No melee weapons (not even for Predaking himself). The combined mode has very weird proportions, notably his child-birthing hips and supermodel waist. The hands are hollowed out inarticulate blocks that are leagues less impressive than the ones on Unicron, and that's a 15 year old toy. Oh, and STICKERS.

Sure he has more articulation than the G1 figures but that isn't hard. Honestly, he looks like the worst Titan Hasbro has made thus far, and that's saying something. I think some people are determined to like him just because he exists and isn't an icky third party figure. It's not "Magic" to make a figure that doesn't suck (Abominus actually looks damn cool). It's application of common sense. Don't make him so big that in order to keep in budget you have to hollow him into oblivion. Make him bigger and bulkier than the average combiner, sure, but not THAT much bigger. If you must have him that big then you'll have to up the pricetag. And for the love of God, DON'T TRY AND MAKE A FIVE MEMBER COMBINER OUT OF EQUALLY SIZED FIGURES. IT WON'T WORK (See FOC Bruticus).

If you like it, that's fine. I question your taste, but fine. But don't tell people who aren't willing to settle for that...thing that they've got unrealistic expectations. I'm not asking for a 3 foot tall combiner with a billion custom-tooled steel parts, a perfect transformation, Figuarts-tier posing in all modes and automotive paint. But considering this is likely the only official Predaking we're gonna get for at least 5 years, I expect a bit more care put in.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960731)
Posted by TF-fan kev777 on May 21st, 2018 @ 1:46pm CDT

So does anybody else hear the Bee-Gees in their head when looking at this photo? No? (God I'm old)
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960732)
Posted by bluecatcinema on May 21st, 2018 @ 1:50pm CDT
Now that looks great.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960733)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on May 21st, 2018 @ 1:58pm CDT
The packaging of Devastator was better. It was a keeper. So I will thrash that Predaking box in the recycling bin when I buy it with no regrets.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960734)
Posted by Aimless Misfire on May 21st, 2018 @ 2:20pm CDT
Definitely not worth the ludicrous price they're asking. $59.99 tops!
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960735)
Posted by mblase75 on May 21st, 2018 @ 2:37pm CDT
Aimless Misfire wrote:Definitely not worth the ludicrous price they're asking. $59.99 tops!

You'll find it for that price at Ollie's in about twelve months, if you hurry.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960737)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on May 21st, 2018 @ 2:56pm CDT
Black Hat wrote:Wrong on all counts. I'm still thoroughly unimpressed with HasTak Devastator- even the UW version lacks articulation, is overly hollow, is awkwardly proportioned and is farcically out of scale with the other combiners. Predaking continues the trend of sacrificing quality and design (especially in the individual modes) in favour of sheer size.

I didn't say you liked Titan Class Devastator. I said most did, and the majority of those who were upset when it was first revealed had to eat some serious crow later.

Transformers have been "hollow" for years now, and Predaking isn't even the worst example of such. The initial Fall of Cybertron toys hold that dishonor. And yes, it's a cost cutting measure to hollow out parts where able, because parents aren't going to buy their children a $300-$400 big "Megazord," certainly not on a whim, and likely not even for a big birthday or Xmas gift.

Predaking is big because he was always a bigger combiner than the other G1 combiner TOYS. Hasbro isn't as fussed about what characters looked like exactly in the old Sunbow cartoon. Their focus has always been on the original toys. Devastator was chosen to be big because he was considered special, being the first combiner in Transformers. The Contructicon alt modes are actually in relatively accurate scale with the deluxe car characters, by the way. None of the other combiners pay attention to scale at all either, not between teams and not even within teams. Deluxe sized jets, planes, shuttles, motorcycles, and even tanks create all sort of problems when you look at scale, whether realistic or even internally consistent in the cartoon, so that's your own little burden to shoulder if you think Devastator and Predaking are "farcically out of scale" with other contemporary combiners.

Stickers!? You're still made about stickers!? Guess you hate every Voyager and Leader figure Hasbro has put out for the past couple of years too. Yes, everyone wishes the stickers would go away, but they aren't any time soon, it seems. ALL Titan releases, starting with Metroplex, have relied on stickers, btw, so this is also not something new to PotP Predaking. It's not even new to ANY G1 Predaking as the original had stickers too. Even the special reissues, like Platinum Edition Predaking, had revised stickers instead of going for paint apps.

Honestly, I think you just don't like Transformers now. Things have been as they are for years now, and Predaking isn't turning the past five years or so on its ear. It's entirely consistent with everything Hasbro has been doing with their toys since Dark of the Moon and Fall of Cybertron. Just admit that you have a personal expectation that Hasbro can't realistically meet in this market and go have fun with your third party options.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960739)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on May 21st, 2018 @ 3:12pm CDT

To each their own with "budget needs" but seriously... they're still FIVE voyagers... that's going to be $100 minimum (and that's technically deluxe prices).

As for the heated debate over this guy... yes he compromises. Most transformers these days are "compromises".

One thing I think a LOT of ppl forget about Devastator... is the fact that he's actually Masterpiece scale.... and he's the closest we're going to get to one ANY time soon. and certainly otherwise would be paying 3rd party ($50-60) per component otherwise.

My biggest misgiving with Predaking (other than the lack of swords) was the spiked fists... but then I realized they plug into the feet for storage. Seeing that... I can live with the compromise they made.

I still think the SDCC/Hascon version *might* come with swords. but we'll see. It's been awfully quiet on that front.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960740)
Posted by mblase75 on May 21st, 2018 @ 3:16pm CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:Stickers!? You're still made about stickers!? Guess you hate every Voyager and Leader figure Hasbro has put out for the past couple of years too.

Oh god, yes. Although, to be sure: TItan-class citybots with stickers I apply myself are fine, it's the Voyager-class triple-changers whose factory-applied stickers never stay on properly that I detest. I'm not sure which one of those Predaking will fall under, but I'll be looking forward to applying Toyhax labels either way.

This. If Hasbro isn't someone's cup of tea and they prefer third-party, I don't blame them -- but I'm never going to complain about the things Hasbro does in order to keep prices manageable. Well, except the stickers.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960741)
Posted by Emerje on May 21st, 2018 @ 3:16pm CDT
1526924524-p5.jpg

Holy CRAP that's a terrifying little joint holding up the entire top half! I predict we'll be seeing a lot of Predacons that can't combine any more in the future.

Other than that I'm fine with the way he looks.

Emerje
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960742)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on May 21st, 2018 @ 3:20pm CDT
Emerje wrote:
1526924524-p5.jpg

Other than that I'm fine with the way he looks.

Emerje

For what it's worth, I suspect those legs were supposed to slide all the way into his back and fill in that gap.... However.... that does indeed not address the "small" (mushroom?) peg that's his waist....
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960744)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on May 21st, 2018 @ 3:22pm CDT
Though... I do believe that central crotch piece is part of the same "assembly" as the abdomen... So that shouldn't be a joint gets abused a lot. We'll see how the wear-and-tear goes with the hot swivel action though.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960746)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 21st, 2018 @ 3:24pm CDT
Well these pics look nice (see hasbro, look at what you get when you let people who know what they are doing do the photos). Still I can understand why people say they don't want him and it's their choice. No one will change their mind by going on at then constantly.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960747)
Posted by SpikeyTigertron on May 21st, 2018 @ 3:33pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:Still I can understand why people say they don't want him and it's their choice. No one will change their mind by going on at then constantly.

True story. it's like someone has to be "right" when... in collecting and hobbies... everybody is "right" about their own collections.

On the other hand, it's nice to have constructive discourse on a subject, but when it devolves into a shouting match... that's where the construction ends.

I do take a bit of an affront to those that feel the want to *immediately* want to get it at under 50% off though.... I just feel that's not being fair, respectful of the product. Similar to how the ppl "love MPs but wait for the knock-offs".

But enough of a tangent.

I do think similar to Devastator Predaking will be much more interesting in hand. While both he and Devastator probably could have been reduced to "large deluxe" in size and save a bit on price.... Hasbro obviously wants to make a *splash* with this guy. I will say what weapons he comes with are starting to grow on me more. I wasn't happy about his wrist mounted cannon.... but there appears to be a bit more molding and detail in it than I originally though. (Similar to Devastators gun). Still not sure what one is supposed to do with the small "extensions" for the shoulder cannons though (are they Razorclaws tail?)
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960749)
Posted by Evil Eye on May 21st, 2018 @ 3:37pm CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:

I'd argue that has more to do with low standards than it actually being good but OK.

And most kids aren't even going to know who Predaking is. It's marketed squarely at collectors- and it falls short of the expectations any right-thinking collector would have. And if they hadn't made it so monstrously large but kept the pricetag the same it might actually have been good.

I know that, and he could still have been bigger than the others without being double their size and thus horrendously compromised.

Again, he didn't need to be twice the size of a regular combiner. There's such a thing as "a happy medium". And if we're going on vehicle scale then Superion should be the size of Devastator as he's made of jets. I work at an aviation museum and let me tell you, jets are BIG.

I'm not talking about vehicle scale or even cartoon scale (which was always inconsistent). I'm talking about what actually looks good and makes for decent toys. If Predaking and Devastator are gonna be $200 behemoths, why put all the mass into making them so tall? Why not bulk them out a bit? Why not do anything other than making them huge but hollow piles of compromise and failure?

Then vote with your wallet and refuse to buy figures that make excessive use of them. Any figures with them on I get are getting their stickers peeled off, but to be honest, with the Voyager and Leader class being as desultory for POTP as they are (Hungrr and Elita are the only figures bigger than a Deluxe that interest me) then they won't be getting any of my money for stickered releases anyway.

Of course up until recently the answer was that people could import the less abysmal Takara versions, but thanks to Hasbro's blatant greed and apparent spite, rather than spend cents per figure on improving their own product to make up for lost sales to Takara they've instead told Takara to stop making their own figures any better.

Yep, and I have yet to buy any of them.
These are supposed to be an improvement on the 30+ year old toys. "GEEWUN DID IT" is not an excuse for stickers.
Honestly, I think you just don't like Transformers now.

I do like Transformers- there are still good figures (Stinger from the Studio Series was one of the best figures I've gotten from HasTak in a while) but hell if I'm going to suck up to Hasbro for making trash and removing the opportunity for people like me to actually get decent alternatives.

Then vote with your wallet and tell Hasbro "No, I will not accept this crap, either improve your products or lose my business". That's how capitalism is supposed to work.

That's just it. They CAN meet my expectations. Even putting aside the nickel-and-diming that we're seeing with the line, all they have to do is not make boneheaded decisions like "Make him so big the only way the budget will pass is if he's a ropey piece of crap" and "Let's make the individuals the same size even though that doesn't work". They CAN still make good figures- it's almost like they're choosing not to. This isn't budgetary constraints, this is incompetence.

But as for Hasbro and their budget cuts, they absolutely could afford to make the figures better. The problem is that either their higher-ups, the shareholders or most likely both are greedy, penny-pinching misers who apparently can't spare a few cents per figure to make them less dreadful solely because it would mean one micrometre less platinum plating on their monogrammed prostate massagers.
and go have fun with your third party options.

Thanks, I will. Hopefully Maketoys does a Predaking eventually so I can buy that instead rather than giving a single penny to Hasbro.

If you honestly like POTP Predaking then that's fine. But don't try and bulls**t to me that they couldn't do any better, and CERTAINLY don't get on my case like I'm somehow being ungrateful or something for not approving of a botched job. Because quite frankly it reeks of fanboyism at best and corporate shilling at worst.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960750)
Posted by Lore Keeper on May 21st, 2018 @ 3:46pm CDT
Predaking looks good overall. He's not perfect, but he's not the garbage fire some people make him out to be. My only real issues with this set are the decision to make Razorclaw the same size as the rest of the Predacons (leading to massive, unsightly kibble on Headstrong and Tantrum) and the lack of his very iconic sword. People that want Razorclaw to be perfectly in scale with his teammates are forgetting that Predaking himself is already out of scale with other combiners. The sword is not a surprising omission as none of the PotP combiners have dedicated weapons. Seems to be an across the board cost cutting decision. Lastly, while not bothered by it, I am confused as to why they removed his knuckle spikes. I can't see a functional reason they would need to be removed.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Power of the Primes Predaking (1960751)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on May 21st, 2018 @ 3:51pm CDT
Black Hat, I'm more than willing to call out Hasbro when they legitimately screw up. Poorly designing Trypticon's hip joints such that they self destruct after being used is a screw up. Missing out on doing Apeface and Snapdragon in Titans Return was a screw up. Wave 2 of Power of the Primes drying up within weeks at retail is a screw up. Predaking is not a screw up. That's not shilling or fanboyism. That's being fair, objective, and logical. I don't think you're at all being fair if you're resorting to jokes about platinum plated prostate massagers and calling these designers "incompetent." Get off your high horse.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Ultra Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers War For Cybertron Siege Bluestreak - Custom Nonnef Upgrade" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers TCG - (TW4) Wave 4 War for Cybertron: Siege II Omega Supreme Tank" on EBAY
Buy "IDW ROM VS TRANSFORMERS : SHINING ARMOR #2 C COVER : NM CONDITION" on EBAY
Buy "IDW ROM VS TRANSFORMERS : SHINING ARMOR #3 : 2 COVERS BUNDLE : B + C : NM" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Original Transformer Autobots “Trailbreaker" - 1984 - Black 4wd" on EBAY
Buy "IDW ROM VS TRANSFORMERS : SHINING ARMOR #2 A COVER : NM CONDITION" on EBAY
Buy "IDW ROM VS TRANSFORMERS : SHINING ARMOR #5 : ALL COVERS BUNDLE : A, B, C : NM" on EBAY