In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream

Friday, March 9th, 2018 11:19AM CST

Categories: Movie Related News, Toy News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 20,062

We saw our first look from a collector, rather than an event with display copies, of Transformers Studio Series 06 Voyager Starscream back here - but thanks to TFND user, and fellow Seibertronian, blacklai we have a whole new batch of angles and close-ups of the deceptive Decepticon second in command. The figure, for those wanting the information, was found in Taiwan, where the user is based.

The full set of images can be found here, but we've mirrored a selection of them for you below. Take a look, take them in, and let us know what you think of this movie-verse line and mold - and join the discussion in the Energon Pub!

Credit(s): blacklai
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945023)
Posted by william-james88 on March 9th, 2018 @ 11:39am CST
Yup, its an upscale of DOTM

Every detail matches up perfectly.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945029)
Posted by Seibertron on March 9th, 2018 @ 11:44am CST
william-james88 wrote:Yup, its an upscale of DOTM

Every detail matches up perfectly.

Except for all of the details that don't match up. :HEADHURTS:

Perhaps it just shares similar engineering?
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945030)
Posted by Black Hat on March 9th, 2018 @ 11:46am CST
So it is! I'm kinda cool with that, it looks good and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945032)
Posted by william-james88 on March 9th, 2018 @ 11:49am CST
Seibertron wrote:
Except for all of the details that don't match up. :HEADHURTS:

Perhaps it just shares similar engineering?

Its far more than that. I am comparing to joints and parts and where they are found on the toy, and that all matches up.

Its an upscale the same way these toys were upscales too:

Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945033)
Posted by Seibertron on March 9th, 2018 @ 11:49am CST
Seibertron wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Yup, its an upscale of DOTM

Every detail matches up perfectly.

Except for all of the details that don't match up. :HEADHURTS:

Perhaps it just shares similar engineering?

Just to clarify my statement above ...

Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945035)
Posted by william-james88 on March 9th, 2018 @ 11:52am CST
Seibertron wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Yup, its an upscale of DOTM

Every detail matches up perfectly.

Except for all of the details that don't match up. :HEADHURTS:

Perhaps it just shares similar engineering?

Just to clarify my statement above ...

Plase read my comment above, I am not referring to the detailing on the parts (so yes, detail was the wrong word to choose) but where all the parts are match up and is similar to the differnece found in previous upscales Hasbro performed.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945036)
Posted by Seibertron on March 9th, 2018 @ 11:52am CST
william-james88 wrote:Is a compeletly new mold, it has to be at that scale. But its based on the deluxes toy. Its not like they tried reinventing the wheel with this one.

Fair enough! Just wanted to state that after your all-encompassing comment above ;)
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945037)
Posted by william-james88 on March 9th, 2018 @ 11:55am CST
Seibertron wrote:

Haha, yes, I definitely set myself up for that, so fair enough!
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945041)
Posted by william-james88 on March 9th, 2018 @ 11:59am CST
Looking at the underside, there are some nice improvemnts over the original toy design. They covered up the hips in the back to make it look more complete

Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945045)
Posted by Lunatic Prime on March 9th, 2018 @ 12:10pm CST
william-james88 wrote:Its an upscale the same way these toys were upscales too:

Seibertron wrote:
Except for all of the details that don't match up. :HEADHURTS:

Perhaps it just shares similar engineering?
And since when is Seibertron itself active in discussions? :shock:
It's like Primus intervening in a little chitchat between Swerve and Whirl :lol:
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945048)
Posted by Randomhero on March 9th, 2018 @ 12:15pm CST
Seibertron wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Yup, its an upscale of DOTM

Every detail matches up perfectly.

Except for all of the details that don't match up. :HEADHURTS:

Perhaps it just shares similar engineering?

Just to clarify my statement above ...

This all I see when you guys post shit like this

Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945054)
Posted by william-james88 on March 9th, 2018 @ 12:31pm CST
Lunatic Prime wrote:This Predaking mold is actually a very bad example in this case because he's anything but a simple upscale

My argument was that he was an upscale and that was it, simplicity wasnt part of it. As much effort might have gone into turning that deluxe Starscream into a voyager as the amount of effort into turning the commander Predaking into that beast of a figure.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945056)
Posted by Lunatic Prime on March 9th, 2018 @ 12:35pm CST
william-james88 wrote:

But "upscaled" Voyager Predaking is a very different mold compared to its Commander class figure.
And Starscream got just upscaled with very few minor improvements.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945075)
Posted by Seibertron on March 9th, 2018 @ 1:25pm CST
Lunatic Prime wrote:And since when is Seibertron itself active in discussions? :shock:

Ah haha haha ... wow, you compared me to Primus? LOL! My head has been out of the game for a little while thanks to Christmas, my wife's Grandma and my Mom both passing away, along with other life events in the past 6 months, but I'm trying to get my head back into all of this. Site redesign from last summer needs to be finished, Heavy Metal War needs some long overdue love, and galleries are (very loudly) calling my name!!!
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945080)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 9th, 2018 @ 1:45pm CST
william-james88 wrote:Yup, its an upscale of DOTM

Every detail matches up perfectly.

With added improvements.

This make the BEST voyager Starscream so far.
I thought I was done with Movie Starscream, but this unexpected voyager will be a MUST buy.
And then, there will be the sureshot MPM version...
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945120)
Posted by primalxconvoy on March 9th, 2018 @ 3:32pm CST
william-james88 wrote:
Seibertron wrote:

Haha, yes, I definitely set myself up for that, so fair enough!

From what I can tell, it's upscaled BUT extra joints have been added, such as rotating wrists, for example.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945127)
Posted by RAR on March 9th, 2018 @ 3:48pm CST
As to the question of Starscream here - Perhaps there is a few more changes to him than there is changes between The Voyager sized Energon Megatron and the Leader Class.

But he's pretty much the same basic idea. Lets be honest if I didn't have both toys side by side - I think I'd just see the extremely similar legs, the hinge parts on the underside of the wings the chest and head - and assume he's a barely altered upscale.

Not that I mind that - as it's not like the Deluxe was a bad toy.
I also like that the new one is in 2007 colours that is at least a nice feature to distinguish the two.
--------

I'm left scratching my head a bit about Thundercracker though as with TRU about to fall off a cliff - I expect I'll have to import one from Asia or rely on someone offering to help me get one some other way.

Shame really as Thundercracker is actually the single most interesting piece in the entire line to me - now I know the 1974 Bumblebee is somewhat lacking. I don't think Hasbro UK has the wit to offer it to Sainsbury's / Argos instead though if the Toys R Us UK outlet isn't available to sell through in the UK.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945129)
Posted by Emerje on March 9th, 2018 @ 4:01pm CST

Emerje
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945131)
Posted by RAR on March 9th, 2018 @ 4:21pm CST
Emerje wrote:So really all they upscaled was the transformation, everything else (sculpt, joints) is different.

Emerje

Look more closely the surface details are REALLY SIMILAR..

More similar than dis-similar. - even the placement of the 5mm holes is the same (like on the underside of the tail and the upper for arms - even has similar hands. It's like they opened the CAD files for the Deluxe and just inflated the thing 30% and then fiddled with some details.

If you compare other things like two Random RID Grimlocks for example you are not likely to find two that match this closely in different scales in terms of how they transform and such.

I'm not judging this toys for being a quick and dirty upscale at all - heck I can think of a lot of toys I'd love to see get similar treatment (especially some 2008-2011 toys).

But there is less 'new work' on display here than on Jazz and Lockdown.
That doesn't mean I dislike it though.

But if you want me to be brutally frank I have a less than stellar opinion of the whole line really - Like I doubt I'll bother chasing any of it besides maybe Thundercracker - the rest I'll just get if I fall over it.

Brawl looks quite nice though. I'm just not overly bothered as I didn't really have much to complain about the ones I already had - if there is one thing we have plenty of it's Movie Optimus Prime toys.

If they really want to spend some resources more wisely perhaps a new Mould Western Star Legion Optimus or a Legion Cogman would be a better place to spend some of that cash.

I'd likely have been more excited by some new Cyberverse Commander class moulds. It's just not where I am mentally collecting wise at the time being.

But now they have the brand if they want to make a Movie accurate recolour of Scorn's Voyager I'd not complain.
---------------

Speaking of Thundercracker ;

I think the Nitro Zeus Mould work quite well if you think outside the box.

Consider these :

http://www.tfu.info/1997/Decepticon/Thu ... racker.htm
http://www.tfu.info/2005/Decepticon/Thu ... racker.htm
http://www.tfu.info/2013/Decepticon/BCT ... racker.htm
http://www.tfu.info/1984/Decepticon/Thu ... racker.htm
http://www.tfu.info/2008/Decepticon/Ove ... ercast.htm
http://www.tfu.info/2011/Decepticon/Dot ... racker.htm
http://www.tfu.info/2007/Decepticon/Thu ... racker.htm

I see him as not unlike a blend of all of those.
The weaponised Arms are not unlike some of those - the colours are not unheard off on a Thundercracker especially the G1 toy.
The lift engines and asymmetrical arms are like the Machine Wars "Botcon" one.
The vehicle mode is very similar to the original 'Basic' Machine Wars one.

I think the earlier suggestion of considering him as a just off screen DOTM Decepticon is a good way to approach him.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series 06 Starscream (1945193)
Posted by Centaurus Prime on March 9th, 2018 @ 10:16pm CST
Those chicken legs are concerning to me, i'm sure they're fine but i'm afraid of him falling forwards. I really want to get this though, looks beautiful.
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 30 Peterman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 30 Newman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 8 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #208 - Everyone Gets Counterpunched
"Everyone Gets Counterpunched"
Posted: Sunday, September 23rd, 2018
Transformers products from EBAY

Items Ending Soon

Buy "Transformers custom revoltech Skywarp Generation 1 Seeker Deception" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime STARSCREAM Complete Deluxe first Edition Lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Beast Hunters Predacons Rising Beast Fire Predaking MIB MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers custom revoltech Red Alert Generation 1 Autobot Rare Very Limited" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers BOXED UNOPENED Generations Voyager Rhinox" on EBAY
Buy "SKULLGRIN 1988 Generation One G1 TRANSFORMERS PRETENDERS Decpecticon Toy Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Titans Return Voyager Decepticon Hazard & Blitzwing Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Power Of The Primes Nemesis Prime Leader Class Exclusive In Hand" on EBAY