In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl

In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl

Friday, May 4th, 2018 3:39am CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Toy News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 24,415

We have some new in-hand and in package images from the second wave of Transformers Studio Series figures, and specifically of the Megatron and Brawl toys from the line, respectively in the Voyager and Deluxe size classes, sporting their incarnations from the 2009 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen live action movie and the first 2007 Trasformers feature from Paramount and Michael Bay.

The images are shown below, as shared by user is456 from fellow fansite TFW2005, so you can take a look and let us know what you think of the two new Decepticon molds in the Energon Pub discussion boards - check them out!

Transformers News: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl

Credit(s): is456 TFW

Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957582)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on May 4th, 2018 @ 4:30am CDT
Megatron look really promising. His plastics even seem to have a shine to it. Let's hope for more pictures.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957584)
Posted by bacem on May 4th, 2018 @ 4:35am CDT
i am still not fond of brawl's shoulder.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957620)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on May 4th, 2018 @ 9:48am CDT
Megatron looks cool.

Kapow toys in UK have wave 2 and Toys R Us Thundercracker up for pre-order. Which is nice.

Jazz and Lockdown £24.99 each
Megatron and Brawl £29.99 each
Thundercracker £32.97
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957627)
Posted by Blitzwing is bae on May 4th, 2018 @ 10:14am CDT
Megatron actualy looks pretty good! :x :APPLAUSE: :x :APPLAUSE: ;)^ ;)^ ;)^ But brawl just gives me anxiety from just looking at him :HEADHURTS: :HEADHURTS: :HEADHURTS: :HEADHURTS:
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957628)
Posted by Mindmaster on May 4th, 2018 @ 10:17am CDT
Looking forward to both! I’ve got Prime, Blackout, Stinger, and Starscream, and they’ve all been stunners. Much better than I initially thought, and I only meant to get Blackout.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957644)
Posted by william-james88 on May 4th, 2018 @ 11:27am CDT
We are getting more and more in hand looks at voyagers Brawl and Megatron from the second wave of the Transformers Studio Series. We now have transformation videos for each. Oddly enough, they are each part of a much larger video featuring other robot toys. Luckily, they are covered first so you can just click on either video below and see the transformation straight away.

This is our bet look yet at these toys and the first time we really see what is going on. Megatron always appeared much larger than other voyagers but it turns out that he is the same mass and is simply hollow inside (similar to First Edition Bulkhead).

Let us know your thoughts and if you are still excited for these two toys! They should be found at retail next month or so.

Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957662)
Posted by william-james88 on May 4th, 2018 @ 12:29pm CDT
Oh shit, I just realized Takara also mistransforms toys in their pics, they forgot to rotate the shoulder wheels revealing the brand new movie accurate headlight details:

Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957683)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on May 4th, 2018 @ 1:23pm CDT
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957684)
Posted by william-james88 on May 4th, 2018 @ 1:27pm CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:Even at full price, all leaders are gone from everywhere. I do hope Leader Grimlock won't do me a "Gen Leader Thundercracker" on me and have a limited release for reasons. Hope that he and Blackout will be like all 1st wave figures and be aplenty everywhere soo enough. And why not on sale to boot?

PM me your current address and I will mail you a raincheck
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957687)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on May 4th, 2018 @ 1:36pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

Gotta love that Megatron on Megatron makeout session, lmao! Seriously, that's a level of narcissism I thought only Starscream was capable of. :lol:

Megatron looks fantastic, btw. Hasbro has finally gotten smarter about their gray plastic choices. Even without silver paint, Megatron has a nice metallic sheen to him, and the rest of the paint apps only serve to enhance the look of the plastic instead of starkly contrast it. Well done!

I'm liking Brawl too, but I do wish he didn't have so much tank paneling just having off his arms in robot mode. Would also have been nice if the arm mounted accessories sat a little more flush with his actual arms.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957692)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on May 4th, 2018 @ 2:34pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:Oh ****, I just realized Takara also mistransforms toys in their pics, they forgot to rotate the shoulder wheels revealing the brand new movie accurate headlight details:

Yeah those bits are my fave new feature of the Studio Ratchet figure. As lame as that sounds.

I still can't figure out whether or not i like Brawl. I may just have to buy it to be sure and ebay it if I don't like it much. Megatron is a definite purchase.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957711)
Posted by dragons on May 4th, 2018 @ 4:05pm CDT

Does some one go to jail for every mistransfom toy no who cares if toy product images are not transformed properly there toys not work of art that person walk by and look at them in museum little kids don’t care if there transformed properly there toys not Mona Lisa sculpter better thighs to worry about in life than mistransfomrwd toys such as paying taxes spending time with family and going to work
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957713)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 4th, 2018 @ 4:42pm CDT
I think will was on about the fact that everyone jumps on hasbro's photos as not being transformed properly, so a case where Takara's is mistransformed proves that it can happen to anyone.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957727)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on May 4th, 2018 @ 5:57pm CDT
dragons wrote:

Wait, isn't this also the Hasbro stock photo?
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957729)
Posted by william-james88 on May 4th, 2018 @ 6:18pm CDT
Wolfman Jake wrote:Wait, isn't this also the Hasbro stock photo?

Nope, this is the Hasbro image (with that part properly transformed)

I took the takara image from the HLJ listing https://hlj.com/product/TKT10908/Act?ut ... gKw4vD_BwE

And yes, I was indeed referring to how people always say Hasbro should take good pics like Takara. I guess this brand unification is rubbing off on Takara in other ways.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957757)
Posted by megamanfan on May 4th, 2018 @ 11:42pm CDT
bacem wrote:i am still not fond of brawl's shoulder.

they're just mis-transformed for the sake of packaging.
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957769)
Posted by william-james88 on May 5th, 2018 @ 5:05am CDT
Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are personal opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Ranking All Wave 1 Figures From Transformers Studio Series

The Studio Series is a new initiative from Hasbro to give us a Generations Type line for characters from the live action Transformers films. It definitely had more coverage and attention than previous lines, especially with the angle that this would be more collector oriented (similar to Star Wars Black Series or Marvel Legends), along with being sold at a more premium MSRP. So, with wave 1 well in hand and wave 2 most probably dropping next month, I thought it would be a great time to look at what the line provided so far in comparison to what we were hoping for, by ranking every entry from wave 1 available at wide retail. A tiny detour from our usual top 5 lists but hopefully you still enjoy it.

8. Bumblebee

This toy is your mileage can vary kind, but that includes the possibility for this toy to suck more than any Transformers toy of the past 10 years (at least). I honestly can't remember a Transformers toy which fell apart this easily. Nothing breaks, things just fall apart. The roof simply wont stay on with clear plastic hinges looking warped. Mine came with the back piece floating loose in the box! I also find the feet have a clearance issue during transformation, as do the wings and front wheel wells in robot mode. But these are all just minor issues compared to the massive f** up of the back piece (which has clear signs of a being manufactured to have a pin). I totally understand why it was literally destroyed by some toy reviewers.

7. Ratchet

This toy is just meh. I was fascinated at either how much the fanbase had rejuvenated or how short the memory span was, because it seems people don't remember the Dark of the Moon toy. This is basically that same toy with all new molding, which doesn't feel new. But the general look and transformation is about the same, but worse (you can see the comparisons below). He has the worse deco of the wave 1 toys so far, very bland, just a sea of unpainted chartreuse coloured plastic. But the biggest grievance is the back. He has a major butt flap problem. It's the whole roof cage of his car just hanging off his ass ... and it looks like ass. They could have made the cage removable and turn it into a weapon, give us some more folding options, but no, they just leave it there. For a line that promotes brand new molds, and the best version yet of the onscreen character, this toy is very disappointing.

6. Crowbar

These next three are essentially as good/bad but each for different reasons. But when you look at the pros and cons, Crowbar, Optimus and Stinger end up at about the same place, so the order is almost arbitrary with Crowbar being the less original of the three. Regardless, Crowbar is the best dread we have ever gotten. However those dreads of his become his downfall in vehicle mode with them having no place to go giving him a real bad case of hemorrhoids. And the transformation isn't all that fun, since he is a major shell former, but the shell does tuck in nicely and I do give Hasbro props for fixing the issue of falling panels which they had with his partial tool partner Berserker. Plus he has a pretty awesome head sculpt!

5. Optimus Prime

This freaking toy !!!! The designers had such odd priorities. He is very complex and yet both modes don't look all that great for all the effort put in. Like there is a big effort put into a screen accurate chest and torso section but the use of fake kibble gives these off putting black lines dead center. Plus you get these odd parts on his side to hide the truck front, which feels like a big sacrifices just to have more screen accurate calves.

It still is so weird that the character which seems to be the most problematic is the one whose character model has a bunch of alt mode showing. There is also little effort is made to diminish the backpack and the feet have no effort in hiding in vehicle mode. And lastly there is both the size and colour which regardless of whatever to wiki bio or movie screenshot you show me, look really off.
He still has a fun transformation and what could be considered a premium style deco but I don't think the result for either mode is good and in a line where its all about getting definitive versions of the characters we see on screen, this might be the biggest fail.

4. Stinger

Of all the deluxes, Stinger is the only one which felt really new, and transformers by him the first time felt like breathing in that fresh country air after before no too long in the city. But as we all know, that country air usually has a hint of manure, and Stinger is far from better my flawless. I love the transformation and that alt mode is sublime, but they could have handled that car kibble better. The car roof hanging off his arm does not look like a gun and it reminds me more of an RID brother or Cybertron Crosswise. Those are of course fun and unique toys with awesomeness me alt modes, and Stinger gets the same accolade as a toy. But as a representation of the on screen model, he falls a bit short. Still, major props for that superb Pagani alt mode!

3. Blackout

I like Blackout more than I think I should. It turns out every issue I thought I would have with him did not turn out to be deal breakers, far from that. However, other issues I would nt have thought of creeped up. Judging from early images of his feet, I thought it would be a simple transformation with little do do, especially with the feet. Boy was I wrong. It turns out that to avoid this toy from being a shell former, lots of panels end up being neatly flipped or turned, hiding them under the feet. It becomes probably my favourite part of the figure. I think both modes look great and while I feared for a small looking bot mode, he still feels massive to me. Especially when transforming him. He does have a few flaws though. While not being the panel nightmare of ROTF Jetfire (or Death Star Vader), there is a definite issue with the panels. I have never been able to connect everything seamlessly. Also, the hand orientation is just odd and gives the impression that they were assembled backwards. But hey, its overall a great looking representation of the first live action Transformer we saw on the big screen.

2. Starscream

Upscaling a toy might be an easy way to put "new" products on the shelves but it can also result in great toys, like Beast Hunters Voyager Predaking. And the result for this voyager Starscream is awesome! Even being familiar with the deluxe mold from Dark of the Moon, the bigger pieces made for a very fresh transforming experience. And it being an upscale did not feel in any way like it had less parts than it should. It felt complex enough for a voyager. I really appreciate the attention to detail like covering parts that used to show hollowness adding parts to beef out the sides, add detail to the sculpt and, best of all, use that now famed Takara MP Beast Wars technology for adding a digital textured deco layer all across the alt mode. Really cool. I am a huge fan of the DOTM leader Starscream and I am not sure if this one beats it (especially when you factor in how much each cost at retail) but it is at least the second best movie Starscream we have ever gotten and easily the best one in this size class.

1. Grimlock

Grimlock ticks a lot of boxes for me and my ideal Transformer. I really like mean and lean Transformers, toys which use the same parts to convey different elements for each of their modes. this always results in a fun transformation (since there is no shell forming bit) and no back packs or extraneous kibble, hampering the look of the toy. It also means alt mode integration is a must and I just love that since to me, that is what Transformers are all about, one mode becoming another (not just a robot hiding in a shell a la Break). And this one does that, in spades. Almost every part of each mode is reused either in bot or dino mode and to great effect. I just love how his robot arm is right there front and center hiding in plain site in dino mode, but I would have never realized that until I transformed him. This is the perfect example of a perfectly efficient design.

The transformation does give some nice callbacks to one of my all time favourite toys, Beast Was Megatron, but builds off of it by giving us some more to do with the legs (both in terms of steps and them having different feet for either mode) and eliminating the shell former aspect. Also it does a cool bit by having the show accurate two full dino heads in robot mode and turning having one melt into the alt mode detail in dino mode. My wife isn't the biggest fan of my hobby or the space it takes, so her to actually be impressed with a toy (she didn't think it transformed) is high praise.

The fact that he is also a transforming Tyranosaurus Rex and has an absolutely gorgeous deco just adds everything one could love about a toy.

Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957770)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on May 5th, 2018 @ 5:21am CDT
The only Studio Series not on the list is Thundercracker. It should have been there even though it's just a repaint. So, allow me to squeeze it onto the list, even if I keep mine sealed. Based on my experience with TLK Nitro and with that rocking deco, SS Thundercracker would have been ranked solidly between Stinger and Blackout, making him #4 out of 9.

Also, Grimlock when, dear retailers? :-(
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957774)
Posted by Cheetron on May 5th, 2018 @ 6:34am CDT
Thanks for the reviews. I was always shying away from them. Now I have a reason.

Oh, and in BB's review - language!
Re: In-Hand Images of Transformers Studio Series Wave 2 Megatron and Brawl (1957775)
Posted by AlvinC on May 5th, 2018 @ 6:37am CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:Also, Grimlock when, dear retailers? :-(

Oddly enough, the only leader ss figure I’ve seen in retail was Grimlock. Still want to see Blackout

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warriors Class Sideswipe Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "Transformers Cogman The Last Knight 1 Step Turbo Changer Cyberfire" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron: Siege Voyager Class Megatron Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "????  NEW Transformers Siege War for Cybertron Trilogy “STARSCREAM” Voyager Class" on EBAY
Buy "Soundwave Sealed MISB MOSC Voyager War for Cybertron - Siege Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Decepticon Shockwave Sealed MISB Leader War for Cybertron Siege Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Sideswipe Sealed MISB MOSC Deluxe War for Cybertron - Siege Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Red Alert Sealed MISB MOSC Deluxe War for Cybertron - Siege Transformers" on EBAY
Buy "Prowl Sealed MISB MOSC Deluxe War for Cybertron - Siege Transformers" on EBAY