Wednesday, August 3rd, 2016 4:51am CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 39,286

Also from Jensen Teh over on Facebook, we have a good first (more or less) look at the mold that was meant to be Astrotrain, but first showed up as Sentinel Prime! The Decepticon triplechanger has its shuttle, space train and robot modes all sorted out in redecos and very minor tooling tweaks, plus new Titan Master Darkmoon - compare to the Sentinel Prime galleries here, and let us know what you think of this classic character in the Energon Pub!

Transformers News: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon

Credit(s): Jensen Teh

Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811609)
Posted by MemphisR56 on August 3rd, 2016 @ 5:12am CDT
That purple on the train mode cabs really helps to make them stand out from the cow catcher, definitely makes it look a bit more coherent in that mode. Love the additional black on the arm guns. I felt that a bit of paint picking those out was something we were really missing on the sentinel figure. The black on the toes makes him look like he's wearing a pair of 30's prohibition gangster wingtip shoes. :APPLAUSE:

All in all, nifty looking. I'm still not sold on the paler looking grey. Definitely going to want to wait until the takara decco is on show for me. :-?
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811615)
Posted by Randomhero on August 3rd, 2016 @ 6:50am CDT
Yeah it's going to be a toss up why Takara does. They've gone both ways with Astrotrain. White and purple or dark grey and purple
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811617)
Posted by Insurgent on August 3rd, 2016 @ 6:53am CDT
Seeing how they seem to be going full on G1 toon with this line, I'm gonna say he'll be G1 toon coloured. Slavishly so.
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811621)
Posted by Kurona on August 3rd, 2016 @ 7:07am CDT
... that Astrotrain looks so nice in-hand. I might have to break my rule of only going for Titan Masters, Skullcruncher and Lost Light crew members.
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811624)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 3rd, 2016 @ 7:12am CDT
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811645)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on August 3rd, 2016 @ 8:26am CDT
There's just not much I can bring myself to like about Trion over here. His robot mode is pretty good, but I'm holding out for Thundertron. His other two modes are...I don't even know what to call that lion. It's freaky.

BUT, I really appreciate the fact that you can "remove" those weird side-of-the-head things he has. His actual head is pretty good.
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811646)
Posted by Kurona on August 3rd, 2016 @ 8:28am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:I like the look of alpha trion and astro train. I do wonder though who at will be repainted into.

According to rumours, Vector Prime.

I bet anything Takara'll turn him into Lio Convoy tho
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811647)
Posted by Dr. Caelus on August 3rd, 2016 @ 8:28am CDT
The Titan Masters remind me of sentient versions of the masks in the Zelda games. Kind of makes me wish that each one had come with a default head (which they basically do) which was supposed to be that individual's actual head (rather than an independent character) and a second "Titan Master" head (which matched the backstory Hasbro's given in its promotional materials) which they could don to 'power up'.

It'll be interesting to see what IDW does with it - in last week's Titans Return one shot, it sure seemed like Infinitus was Sentinel Prime, rather than a Titan Master who'd revived his headless body or something. If they treat the Titan Masters like Marvel's Symbiotes or DC's Reach Scarabs, that could be pretty cool, I just think it'll be a little lame if Optimus is incapacitated at some point because he dons a random Titan Master dude, and then can't find his real head afterwards. In the end, how many of these I buy will depend greatly on how many IDW convinces me I need.

Though Blurr's paint job looks so shiny he already tempts me, and given the chance, I kind of want to troop build Scourges, to make Sweeps, but give them all different heads. Since Scourge is the only one I've seen getting left behind on shelves, that might happen.

Nemesis Maximo wrote:There's just not much I can bring myself to like about Trion over here. His robot mode is pretty good, but I'm holding out for Thundertron.

If they can dual homage Thundertron (with the lion) and Tidalwave (with the ship), that'd be pretty cool. Energon Tidal Wave, at least, had the white and blue, so it might not be impossible.
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811651)
Posted by RiddlerJ on August 3rd, 2016 @ 8:40am CDT
I wonder who they'll retool Alpha Trion into? Leo Convoy? Razorclaw?

Broadside? That ship mode looks kinda aircraft carrier-ish.

Edit: Just saw the posts above, derp.
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811652)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 3rd, 2016 @ 8:48am CDT
Seeing these pics of Alpha Trion gives me no doubt in my mind that this mold is obviously going to be used for Vector Prime. That robot mode chest looks almost exactly like Cybertron Vector Prime's Critias Gateway (but now with lion paws and V-shaped armor partially covering it), the ship mode is obviously inspired by Cybertron Vector Prime's altmode, and Sovereign is molded as a direct homage to Safeguard, Vector Prime's Mini-Con.

Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811655)
Posted by Kurona on August 3rd, 2016 @ 8:54am CDT
Even if the rumours didn't all-but-confirm it, I think that analysis would be enough to shift me in the direction of there's-no-way-this-isn't-vector.
It does bother me just a little that two members of the thirteen share the exact same mold... but on the other hand Vector Prime already has a unique mold I could pick up off of Ebay, and on yet another hand OH MY GOD A CYBERTRON CHARACTER IN GENERATIONS
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811657)
Posted by Counterpunch on August 3rd, 2016 @ 8:56am CDT
RAR wrote:I'm not sure if Hasbro intends to "Clarify" how Titan Masters are supposed to work as they are giving out mixed messages upon my casual viewing of it.

I still don't know if Titan's Returns are neo-tectors by some random mini-robot (most of who we have never heard of) wearing the robots we have heard of like a skin suit.

or if they are like the headmasters (us version) and the robot in the robot and the head performs some vague (and mostly non-specified) performance upgrade to said robot.

The thing that adds so much confusion is the blurbs talk about controlling the titan masters and talks about Titans in the manner they talked about say Devsatator or even any combiner in Combiner Wars.

Yet the implication actually is that a Titan master isn't mastering any titans at all it's just some ill-defined upgrade for pretty ordinary Transformers.. this leaves me very confused indeed.

Maybe they should have said the Titan-Master upgrades reconfigured their bodies and allowed the propensity of Triple changing or something.

But I admit I'm completely confused - even more so by the titan Master mini-figure Plus mini-vehicle sets.

As a play pattern from a purely toy perspective they make some sense I guess - but as a story - they seem incomprehensible and contradictory to me.

I asked this at Botcon and I (we) felt like the question just broke them. What I mean is, it seemed like the interview went from friendly questions to nerd overdrive and the design team couldn't address it.

The Podcast team genuinely felt like they had no understanding of that question set against the US vs Japanese continuity differences for Headmasters.
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811658)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 3rd, 2016 @ 8:57am CDT
Kurona wrote:It does bother me just a little that two members of the thirteen share the exact same mold...
You just gave me a thought. What if this mold is used to make ALL 13 of them!? :shock: :BOOM: :lol:
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811677)
Posted by Cobotron on August 3rd, 2016 @ 9:55am CDT
Good eye on the comparison between A3 and Vector, Sabr. Although I have to admit, I love Cybertron Vector so much, I don't think I could replace (or duplicate in my case :lol: ) him with a new version. We'll see how weak I am if he does become a thing. :roll:

Tell you what though. I couldn't be more excited for that A3, and I can't wait to park a few Titan Master vehicles on the deck of that carrier mode.
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811679)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on August 3rd, 2016 @ 10:04am CDT
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811683)
Posted by Cobotron on August 3rd, 2016 @ 10:18am CDT
Sigma Magnus wrote:I want to like Alpha Trion, but...something just...bugs me about him. He doesn't look right.
What would right look like to you? :-?
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811685)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 3rd, 2016 @ 10:24am CDT
Is it the too much red compared to the purple and silver?
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811686)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on August 3rd, 2016 @ 10:31am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Is it the to much red compared to the purple and silver?

It could be that, in a decidedly 'G1' styled line, that he is so decidedly not very 'G1' at all, not a bad thing, not a good thing, just tends to make him stand out.
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811687)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on August 3rd, 2016 @ 10:36am CDT
Re: In-Hand - Transformers Titans Return Voyager Astrotrain and Titan Master Darkmoon (1811689)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 3rd, 2016 @ 10:39am CDT
Sigma Magnus wrote:It's none of that, I'm fine with the overall design. Looking at it more, it's just...something about the proportions seems strange.
He does seem kinda... puffy.

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Evolution 3-Pack (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warriors Class Sideswipe Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-47 Kickback & Double Dealer" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-38 Laserbeak & Apeface" on EBAY
Buy "G1 Transformers Botcon 2013 Classics SEEKER HOTLINK  Tech Card  & instuctions" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Blurr" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Challenge at Cybertron Rodimus and Titans Return Hot Rod" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Voyager ASTROTRAIN Loose Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Chromedome COMPLETE, Great Condition" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cybertron Legends Class Galvatron Action Figure 2005 - MOC" on EBAY