In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart

In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart

Saturday, April 10th, 2010 1:30am CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Toy News, Auctions
Posted by: Blurrz   Views: 56,646

TFClub over at Taobao have posted a new auction for Scout Crankstart. With it, we get new packaging images of the figure. Crankstart is a repaint of Scout Dune Runner. The mold was also used for Scout Beachcomber. All are Revenge of the Fallen releases. Check out Crankstart's biography and packaging below!

With so few AUTOBOTS configured for off-road operations, CRANKSTART figured he'd be safe hiding on such a remote beach. He thought he could hide out here, keeping away boredom by randomly firing missiles at passing cruise ships. He never expected SEA SPRAY and BREACHER to come blazing right out of the ocean.

Keep it at Seibertron.com for the fastest Transformers news on the net!

Credit(s): TFClub

This article was last modified on Saturday, April 10th, 2010 1:38am CDT

Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063252)
Posted by Rated X on April 10th, 2010 @ 3:36am CDT
Kind of a weak repaint. Not really interested.

On a seperate note, on the back of the ROTF and movie packaging why must they have these silly battle scenarios with made up arch rivals ??? Why cant they go back to bios like the G1 boxes sported ??? Id much rather read a paragraph about the individual characters strengths, weaknesses, bad habits, and mind state then some silly scenario written by Hasbro that pits 2 rivals against each other.
Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063259)
Posted by mechabooks on April 10th, 2010 @ 4:42am CDT
Seaspray is Crankstarts foe? Crankstart is going to gt hosed. Seaspray is ginormous compared to him. He needs a larger villain to be his arch rival.

On a seperate note I'm happy the RotF packaging is going away!
Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063268)
Posted by Tigertrack on April 10th, 2010 @ 5:10am CDT
Who is Breacher a repaint of?

EDIT: Nevermind
Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063284)
Posted by Volcanus Prime on April 10th, 2010 @ 6:10am CDT
Crankstart: another repaint. I like the mold but God cant you think of something more interesting to do with it. And how is he supposed to beat Seaspray and Breacher. Seaspray is two size classes larger and breacher is a freaking missile pod with treads. those two piddly guns wont even scratch their paint
Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063289)
Posted by Prime Riblet on April 10th, 2010 @ 6:22am CDT
Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063292)
Posted by Tigertrack on April 10th, 2010 @ 6:28am CDT
Prime Riblet wrote:I really don't like the colors very much. What is the general consensus on this particular mold? I think it looks really good, but I already have Landmine and Armorhide, so the alt mode is a bit redundant for me, IMO.

This one is much better than Armodhide/Landmine. Not the repaint, but the scout class mold. I suggest grabbing the Walmart exclusive Beachcomber repaint. Awesome mold, and a nice repaint, even if Beachcomber was a pacifist who wouldn't carry weapons on his shoulders, most likely. Or you might be able to find the original still.
Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063294)
Posted by Prime Riblet on April 10th, 2010 @ 6:32am CDT
Fair enough. I think the local Wm has a few Dune Runners still. I will have to check today. Thanks for the info!
Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063297)
Posted by Giant Purple Griffin on April 10th, 2010 @ 6:49am CDT
I like the vehicle art on the front with guns blazing.
Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063304)
Posted by Autobot Strider on April 10th, 2010 @ 7:32am CDT
I have the Dune Runner version, and I'm quite happy with it. The Robot mode is pretty awesome; while probably less articulated than Landmine, I think DR looks less awkward in robot form... I think it's mostly the chest on LM... it looks too much like it comes to a single point, where on the DR mold it's more flattened, like an armoured vest.

I think the DR mold was perfectly suited to the Beachcomber re-paint, but this re-paint just seems like an excuse to re-use the mold. Also, the thing about the movie line is that it seems to me the heads are done in two very distinct styles; Autobots which look a bit more "friendly", and Decepticons which look fearsome/harsh. For a good example, look at the difference between Bumblebee or Ironhide's heads, and that of Barricade. Could you really see Barricade being re-painted into Prowl? I think not.

This leads me to my point: The Scout class seems to be the one area where they are doing "cross-faction" repaints. However, I think two so far are a bit weak. Crankstart's head just looks way to "autobotish" to me, and the heads of Nightbeat and Slapdash look too "decepticony", which makes sense considering they were made from a mold that started off as the Decepticon Dead End.

Sonar/Depthcharge seems to work either way, and I think that the forklift Dirt Boss mold could also wear the :BOT: convincingly, but this DR repaint just doesn't do it for me, and I really like this mold.
Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063312)
Posted by Cobalt Prime on April 10th, 2010 @ 8:26am CDT
Autobot Strider wrote:This leads me to my point: The Scout class seems to be the one area where they are doing "cross-faction" repaints. However, I think two so far are a bit weak. Crankstart's head just looks way to "autobotish" to me, as do the heads of Nightbeat and Slapdash, made from a mold that started off as the Decepticon Dead End.

Well said!
This has been my problem with "cross-faction" repaints period, and the reason I only buy (select) repaints that are within their original allegiances ( ie-Dune Runner/Beachcomber ). As usual, Hasbro is missing the money from fans like me on these repaints over one minor detail that they didn't think was important-a new head mold. It's amazing how a new head prompts me to plunk down my cash on a repaint without hesitation (Sideways/Deadend). That tiny thing creates an entirely new character, distinct from any other. It would have worked on this figure too.
Just an example of "penny-wise but dollar-foolish" on Hasbro's part.
Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063313)
Posted by Pascal on April 10th, 2010 @ 8:37am CDT
Remolded heads for SCOUTS? Don't push your luck buddy. :)
Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063443)
Posted by autobot-jolt on April 10th, 2010 @ 4:24pm CDT
dang you hasbro, now I beginning to question if getting beachcomber over crankstart is really wrth it...
Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063507)
Posted by Liftgate on April 10th, 2010 @ 10:04pm CDT
Rated X wrote:Kind of a weak repaint. Not really interested.

Right. This tells you zip about the character, something I really loved when I was a kid. This may be some attempt at product cross promotion, but I have to question if it actually works.
Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063538)
Posted by Prime Riblet on April 11th, 2010 @ 12:57am CDT
Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063601)
Posted by Tigertrack on April 11th, 2010 @ 6:54am CDT
Prime Riblet wrote:I really don't like the scenarios either. Bios are far better. And some of these rivalries are a bit silly anyway.

HASBRO likes to 'change it' with the TF brand. This is similar to what we had when they were doing other lines based more off the cartoon. When the characters did not appear in the show they linked them to one another or a show character to get the kid buy in, I guess.
Re: In-Package Images of Movie Scout Crankstart (1063606)
Posted by Autobot Strider on April 11th, 2010 @ 7:25am CDT
I like the little rivalries... it adds a bit of "supporting fiction". However, I don't think they should be at the expense of a real Bio. It's too bad that they couldn't incorporate both somehow.

Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #287 - Pulse Con 2021
"Pulse Con 2021"
Posted: Monday, October 25th, 2021

Buy "Transformers DOUBLE PUNCH Botcon Japan Exclusive The Evil Predacon Limited" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War For Cybertron Soundblaster Black 35th Anniversary Hasbro WFC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots SALVAGE Garbage Truck Figure Hasbro Playskool Heroes" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 2005 BotCon Decent Into Darkness Ricochet" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS BLADES (Shark Sub Variant), Rare Shark Sub Capture 2015" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Wheelie" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return SLUGSLINGER w/ Caliburst 2017 Figure MOSC in USA G1" on EBAY
Buy "Gigapower GP HQ-04 Graviter (METALLIC) Transformers Sludge Complete, Re-boxed" on EBAY