Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries

Transformers News: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries

Tuesday, January 16th, 2018 3:32PM CST

Categories: Comic Book News, Interviews
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 9,150

We have news of an interview with Magdalene Visaggio, the writer of the current crossover series from IDW Publishing and its Hasbroverse - Transformers vs Visionaries - looking at how the team was made to arrive to the current status quo, the process behind two very old franchises, the ways in which the characters are approached, and addressing the scenes that most Transformers fans and readers have had a hard time accepting: the death of Kup.

You can read some extracts below, and the whole piece directly on the website Women Write About
Comics
, and enjoy the lineart for Brendan Cahill's variant cover (and colours by Lauren Bennett) for issue #4 of the series, too!

Firstly, how long have you been a fan of Transformers? Was it always your dream to write a comic for them?

I’ve been a Transformers fan to varying degrees since I was very little; they’ve always been around, and G2 was airing when I was eight or nine years old. But Transformers was never a passion of mine, nor was writing it a lifelong dream; when I was pitched this book, IDW EIC David Hedgecock asked me if I wanted to write Visionaries; the Transformers came in later. What got me excited was the idea of reviving and reinventing a largely forgotten franchise; the Transformers were the object they’d be acting against, but the actors would be the Visionaries.

The Visionaries have been silent for 30 years, did you have any say in any changes made to any characters?

Fico and I got basically all the say. Reinventing the Visionaries was very much done internally between me and Fico, and we presented what we wanted to do to IDW and then to Hasbro, and got the sign-off. We looked seriously at the characters and their situation, and then had to think, well, how do we integrate this into the IDW Hasbroverse, which is very sci-fi heavy, and have it still feel organic? We played a lot with more overtly sci-fi angles—at one point, the Visionaries, which are aliens, I might add, were much more obviously so. We decided to move away from the high fantasy aesthetic and worked to develop one that might make sense for a society forcibly removed from its technological origins. We had a very free hand.

[..]

Like I said, I haven’t been up to date on Transformers. But I knew and loved Kup from the 1986 movie, and so when they told me he was going to die, I was just shocked. Utterly, utterly shocked that the responsibility for taking out friggin’ Kup was going to be landing in my hands. Kup has always been one of my favorites (Kup, Springer, Ultra Magnus, Arcee, and yes, even Hot Rod are my TF dream team), so I immediately understood this wasn’t going to be a small thing. So I never took this lightly.

That’s why I structured the first issue the way I did; Kup takes a lot of the spotlight, and I showed him as the one pushing for something better; the old seen-it-all got to play idealist at the end, and I loved being able to do that for him.

Credit(s): WWAC, Brendan Cahill

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931889)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on January 16th, 2018 @ 4:28pm CST
Another chick who looks like she came out of Jem and the Holograms.
Honestly, they might as well have added Jem and the Holograms to the Hasbroverse.
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931899)
Posted by kurthy on January 16th, 2018 @ 5:33pm CST
Rodimus Knight wrote:Another chick who looks like she came out of Jem and the Holograms.

That would be truly, truly outrageous! Hasbro should be on top it all.

Do you think they'll ever have a change of heart?
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931915)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on January 16th, 2018 @ 7:35pm CST
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931922)
Posted by LE0KING on January 16th, 2018 @ 8:55pm CST
I don't want to just be negative, but come on, even the writer didn't want the crossover. You don't build new franchises by butchering your successful one. I kind of hope unicron will mean an ending to the idw universe, because if not I'm afraid I'll wind up quitting a series I've followed for half my life.
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931926)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on January 16th, 2018 @ 9:10pm CST
LE0KING wrote:even the writer didn't want the crossover

???

I don't know where you're getting this idea, dude. Visaggio was asked to pitch for Transformers Vs Visionaries.
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931928)
Posted by LE0KING on January 16th, 2018 @ 9:20pm CST
Daniel Adkins wrote:
LE0KING wrote:even the writer didn't want the crossover

???

This part of the interview here all but says that she just wanted a visionaries book.

"But Transformers was never a passion of mine, nor was writing it a lifelong dream; when I was pitched this book, IDW EIC David Hedgecock asked me if I wanted to write Visionaries; the Transformers came in later. What got me excited was the idea of reviving and reinventing a largely forgotten franchise; the Transformers were the object they’d be acting against, but the actors would be the Visionaries."
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931934)
Posted by DeathReviews on January 16th, 2018 @ 10:06pm CST
Well, considering Virulina and Galadria (NOT Galadriel) were never part of the toy line, they're sure going out of their way in this crossover to make sure everybody knows that they're 'strong independent womaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan'!
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931935)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on January 16th, 2018 @ 10:09pm CST
LE0KING wrote:
Daniel Adkins wrote:
LE0KING wrote:even the writer didn't want the crossover

???

Alright, I found the interview this is from http://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2018/0 ... -visaggio/. Interesting.
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931949)
Posted by Va'al on January 17th, 2018 @ 3:28am CST
Daniel Adkins wrote:
LE0KING wrote:
Daniel Adkins wrote:
LE0KING wrote:even the writer didn't want the crossover

???

Always pleasing to see my news posts (with links and extracts - including the one quoted in the comments above) ignored entirely. :-(
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931952)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 17th, 2018 @ 4:47am CST
Va'al wrote:
Daniel Adkins wrote:
LE0KING wrote:
Daniel Adkins wrote:
LE0KING wrote:even the writer didn't want the crossover

???

It's okay Va'al, I didn't ignore it ;-)

Interesting to note that the writer wasn't keen on writing Kup off so I'm curious as to who's decision it was and why.. (unless he's getting rezzed at the end as a good will gesture or something)

@whoever said about unicron ending the IDW verse.
Unicron at best (or worse) will reset the universe but they will still all be connected, till the licenses are split up again, which could be never. In fact all Unicron may do is eat up all the inconsistencies that have cropped up over the decade long run of IDW Transformers (sort of the same way that Crisis on Infinite Earths was supposed to do for DC)
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931960)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on January 17th, 2018 @ 7:10am CST
Daniel Adkins wrote:Jem does exist in the Hasbro Universe. Rock 'n Roll used to be the Holograms' roadie.

Seriously? Two questions:
1) what issues does it cover that?
2) was that before or after IDW put out the comic book for Jem and the Holograms?

I am honestly curious since you don't really see anything about the crap going down in the other comics mentioned in the Jem and the Holograms Comic and if Rock 'n Roll mentioned them, before the comic series, then it could have just been one of them Easter egg kind of things.
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931963)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on January 17th, 2018 @ 7:33am CST
Sorry, Va’al, I missed that part of your post while on mobile.

Rodimus Knight wrote:

Seriously? Two questions:
1) what issues does it cover that?

It was in the Hasbro Heroes Sourcebook. Rock mentions them again Scarlett’s Strike Force #1 and Ian Noble had a Misfits poster in his room in the Action Man miniseries.
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931974)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on January 17th, 2018 @ 9:34am CST
Daniel Adkins wrote:Sorry, Va’al, I missed that part of your post while on mobile.

Rodimus Knight wrote:

Seriously? Two questions:
1) what issues does it cover that?

So I'm going to admit that I do read Jem and the Holograms, and I haven't seen Rock n' Roll in the comic anywhere. So I think as far as the current comic series go, it doesn't really connect to the rest of the Hasbroverse, but I think they are still using those names and images in it because they are Hasbro Properties.

So Jem and the Hollograms and the Misfits may exist in the Hsbroverse, the comic itself is not part of it.
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931978)
Posted by Va'al on January 17th, 2018 @ 9:53am CST
The comics has indeed not been explicitly included, you're right, but the characters have been acknowledged in passing a number of times, as Daniel said!
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931988)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 17th, 2018 @ 10:29am CST
So basically, don't get surprised if on the near future if the series gets a soft reboot and suddenly finds itself part of something bigger ;-) well as big as it can fit in really (unless they go the macross route and music is suddenly very important to the well being of the universe)
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931990)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on January 17th, 2018 @ 10:35am CST
Rodimus Knight wrote:

Rodimus Knight wrote:

Seriously? Two questions:
1) what issues does it cover that?

First off, of course you read the Jem comic. Everyone should read Jem. Because its a great comic.

And yes, as Va'al said, the Jem stories have never been explicitly stated to be in the Hasbroverse with Transformers and Joe, but we do know at least that A VERSION of those characters (with the same character designs) exists in the universe.

Actually, when you think about it, in order for Rock to have been a roadie for the Holograms before joining G.I. Joe, that means the Holograms and Misfits formed in the early 2000s rather than the 2010s.
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931991)
Posted by D-Maximus_Prime on January 17th, 2018 @ 10:35am CST
Va'al wrote:

On an off note, and I went back through the past 2 pages and didn't see it and y'all are talking right now: who is the chick here?
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1931994)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on January 17th, 2018 @ 10:44am CST
Her name is Galadria. She was one of the Spectral Knights at the meeting in the first issue.
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1932010)
Posted by ThunderThruster on January 17th, 2018 @ 12:18pm CST
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Va'al wrote:

That's the newly redesigned form of Spectral Knight Galadria.
The fact that you had to ask, shows how much of a step away from the original this version is.
Re: Interview with Magdalene Visaggio, Writer of IDW Transformers vs Visionaries (1932014)
Posted by Rodimus Knight on January 17th, 2018 @ 12:22pm CST
ThunderThruster wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:
Va'al wrote:

That's the newly redesigned form of Spectral Knight Galadria.

Looking at the image again, now many times do you think she'd bruised her face and gotten a fat lip from turning her head to fast and smacking into her shoulder fin?

Her significant other has been arrested already because the Doctor didn't believer her when she said the black eye was from her fin. :-D
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

You save: 46%
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Skywarp Action Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 38%
You save: 32%
You save: 31%
Buy "Playskool Mr. Potato Head Transformers Mixable Mashable Heroes as Starscream Robot, 2-Inch" on AMAZON
You save: 27%