iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18

Transformers News: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18

Wednesday, June 6th, 2018 10:45PM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 13,184

Courtesy of iTunes and their regular early looks at IDW Publishing comics, we have a three-page preview for the next issue of Transformers: Lost Light, due - if schedules hold - next week! Take a look at the images mirrored below, as we join Rodimus and the rest of the cast in the Afterspark. Or not.

LIGHTS OUT! The “Everlasting Voices” trilogy concludes with an explosion of hope, a grave betrayal... and more answers than you can handle! Events of the last six years build to a frenzy of revelations, casting everything that’s gone before in a new—and deadly—light. No exaggeration, no hyperbole: there has never been a more important issue of Lost Light.

Transformers News: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18

Transformers News: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18

Transformers News: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18
Credit(s): iTunes

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1963570)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 7th, 2018 @ 8:10am CDT
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1963576)
Posted by AlphaBass on June 7th, 2018 @ 8:42am CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:Always appreciate a Fastball Special :-D .. Still not keen on the colour scheme of Rodimus though. I'm sure there are in-story reasons (and by "coincidence", a new toy) but it's just not him. He was always a character that visually popped, black and purple are far too generic within Transformers.

Drift painted him this way to express grief for a fallen friend (Skids) and a promise to kill someone (Getaway).

Nothing at all to do with the promotion an upcoming toyline. Nope, nothing to see here. (/sarcasm)
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1963578)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 7th, 2018 @ 8:54am CDT
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1963602)
Posted by Randomhero on June 7th, 2018 @ 10:44am CDT

Nobodies forcing you to ignore the past 30+ years of him being red orange and yellow. It’s one continuity and there is no official toy with that deco.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1963603)
Posted by MrBlack on June 7th, 2018 @ 10:48am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:Actually the only rodimus I've seen in those colours is a third party toy, rodimus unicronus is a different deco that pays far more homage to shattered glass rodimus

Agreed. Although both IDW Rodimus and PotP Rodimus have a lot of black and purple, the decos aren't very similar. IDW Rodimus is primarily purple and blue with some black or dark grey highlights. PotP Rodimus takes after the character's Shattered Glass incarnation, and is mostly black and purple with some light grey highlights.

And then there's the Lemmy mustache...
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1963616)
Posted by ScottyP on June 7th, 2018 @ 12:42pm CDT
AlphaBass wrote:

Bless your heart, sarcasm only makes you look smart when you're right. Allow me to help.

The inspiration for the toy you didn't name but were alluding to, Rodimus Unicronus, is Shattered Glass Hot Rod as pointed out by many already. He looks like this:

Transformers Convention & Club Exclusives Rodimus Gallery

There is an unofficial toy of this version of Hot Rod. It looks like this:

The same third party made a Lost Light Rodimus. It's an entirely different color scheme:

They're even making an updated version to change the colors to make yet another different version that is, like the first, also not intended to evoke Shattered Glass Hot Rod. That's because they're different things entirely.

Furthermore, the initial look at this dark blue/light blue with purple accents coloration was in July of 2016, so the narrative behind it was likely thought through some time before. While it would have been likely that Hasbro was in initial stages of design work on Leader Rodimus Prime, it's unlikely that redecos had come up by that point.

Is Rodimus' look a possible homage to repaints in general? Very possibly, yes. Was it done to promote a toy that would launch almost two years after the recolor's inception? No, this is implausible and irrational.

Maybe this was overkill, but it struck a nerve. I may have misread your post's tone and you may not have intended for it to be a criticism of the story. If so, my apologies. If it was critical, I'd just say that y'all (the collective in this case and not anyone in particular) are free to not like the book but I'm getting sick of bad hot takes about why you don't.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1963623)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 7th, 2018 @ 1:40pm CDT
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1963755)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on June 8th, 2018 @ 8:13am CDT
Randomhero wrote:

I'm neither being forced into anything, nor complaining. I simply said I wasn't keen on the colour scheme. Purple, Black, Blue are very predominant colours within Transformers. There is even one of the new characters in LL (name escapes me) that more or less shares the same palette, to the extent they can be visually confused.
The "leader" should usually be visually distinct within most fiction. Whether he is G1 Red/Yellow/Magenta et al in that respect is neither here nor there.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1963758)
Posted by ScottyP on June 8th, 2018 @ 8:23am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:Don't get disheartened scotty, it's not like their words can actually destroy the legacy of idw continuity.
Well said! I'm just, phew, my tolerance for BS went out the window at some point this week. This is why Burn, RP, and Cobotron do the modding and I just manage the database and such :lol:
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1963759)
Posted by ScottyP on June 8th, 2018 @ 8:28am CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

See, this is a well thought out objection!

I don't agree with it, but it's worth a think and that's rad :)

Anyway I think it's meant to be another device in the story made to show that while Rodimus has a great deal of potential as a leader, he still has a long way to go. Whenever Magnus is in the same room, even outside of the armor he feels like the de facto leader casting a shadow on Rodimus. It wouldn't surprise me to see a return to his red/yellow closer to the end as a tipping point of some part of his arc.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1963812)
Posted by misfire19d on June 8th, 2018 @ 1:24pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:
AlphaBass wrote:

This makes you look like a condescending prick.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1964136)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 10th, 2018 @ 1:02am CDT
misfire19d wrote:
ScottyP wrote:
AlphaBass wrote:

This makes you look like a condescending prick.
Not necessary. I agree that it was a condescending comment, but it was directed at AlphaBass. If AlphaBass has a problem with it, they can work it out between them. And if you absolutely feel the need to let Scotty know how you feel, either do it without name-calling, or do it in a PM.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1964276)
Posted by AlphaBass on June 10th, 2018 @ 10:49pm CDT
Let us not resort to name calling, please. Thanks much for the defense, but I don't want to start any (more) wars on here ;)^

Scotty - my point was more business related, in how toylines can sometimes dictate the direction of a story. My flippant comment was more for that
, but I should have made it more clear, and while Rodimus isn't the best example, I will take my re-education of Lauren Hillimus Prime gladly.

As far as LL's story, which seems to touch a nerve on here, I don't feel the same zeal since Dying of the Light. My post wasn't intended to be directly critical of the story, but I will admit to not being a fan of it. Can I believe that Roddy, ever the hotheaded irrational leader would change his color scheme so drastically? It fits with his character, certainly. But it seemed over the top, even for him (to me at least). And I'd been waiting for that one moment to draw me back in, (like Prime's return in DC, which made me go back and read the Shadowplay trilogy, or Megatron's return in DOTL), and stuff like focusing on a handful of the crew (Anode is as likable as a hammer to the face) and the Protectobots taking (seemingly) an L pushed me further away. Or Getaway's transformation after witnessing the horrors of slaughterhouse. JMO.

I know some don't share the same opinion, and that's great. ;)^ It's what makes these discussions interesting. Just feel like LL is missing something.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1964472)
Posted by Va'al on June 12th, 2018 @ 12:35am CDT
We have two new pieces of cover art from IDW Publishing's comic series Transformers: Lost Light to share with you all, thanks to Previews World and their updated listings. For issue #20 (-5 to the end), Jack Lawrence (and unnamed colourist - Come ON) takes on both a regular variant and the retailer incentive covers, and we get to see not one, but two rematches between some of the most passionately thought about characters in the series so far: Rodimus vs Getaway, and Cyclonus vs Star Saber.

Take a look, read the solicit, and let us know what you think in the Energon Pub.

[quote] (W) James Roberts (A) Casey Coller (CA) Jack Lawrence
Rodimus vs. Getaway! Finally!
In Shops: Jul 11, 2018[/quote]

Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1964476)
Posted by Va'al on June 12th, 2018 @ 12:48am CDT
In other Transformers: Lost Light news today, we have directly from IDW Publishing the full preview for this week's issue of the ongoing series, as we enter the final chapter in the Everlasting Voices story arc - ready to dive into its final story arc with the next issue, as the world ends.

Take a look at the opening pages below, and head back to Seibertron.com after its release for our regular comics review and discussion. It's bound to be a long, big one, too. Trust us.

[quote]Transformers: Lost Light #18
James Roberts (w) • Jack Lawrence (a)
LIGHTS OUT! The “Everlasting Voices” trilogy concludes with an explosion of hope, a grave betrayal… and more answers than you can handle! Events of the last six years build to a frenzy of revelations, casting everything that’s gone before in a new—and deadly—light. No exaggeration, no hyperbole: there has never been a more important issue of Lost Light.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
Leads directly into the biggest story in the history of the Lost Light!
Cover A: Jack Lawrence
Cover B: Alex Milne
Cover RI: Alex Milne Black & White[/quote]

Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1964495)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 12th, 2018 @ 3:20am CDT
huh, I wasn't notified about this. Looking forward to the end of this arc and then the finale.
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1964534)
Posted by ScottyP on June 12th, 2018 @ 7:52am CDT
The newly released cover images finally made it click in my head that the issue with Rodimus vs Getaway and (hopefully) Cyclonus vs Star Saber round 2, yes this issue, is being done by Casey Coller.

I like 95% of IDW's artists a lot, they do a great job. Coller may be on the top of the heap for me, easily up there with Milne as someone I know isn't going to disappoint. Can't wait to see his version of Star Saber!
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1964554)
Posted by Flashwave on June 12th, 2018 @ 9:14am CDT
O love Nautica. I love her as much as I love the ways Lost Light finds rediculous things to say in context But god is she terrifying sometimes. Primus help anyone if dhe decided to go Evil.

And they were just talkimg about laser fingers on the Podcast too...
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1964602)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 12th, 2018 @ 2:59pm CDT
There's no time for her to go evil now
Re: iTunes Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #18 (1964605)
Posted by Flashwave on June 12th, 2018 @ 3:03pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:There's no time for her to go evil now

Not saying she even smwould, just saying she managed to bluff a half dozen (admittedly stupid) Decepticons with the old finger gun trick. What could she do if she really wanted to?
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #201 - Sweet Boy