Tuesday, May 8th, 2018 9:29pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal   Views: 18,455

Comics WebsiteThe Beat had the opportunity to sit down with the newly appointed Editor-In-Chief of IDW publishing and continuity master extraordinaire John Barber to talk about the upcoming Transformers: Unicron series, which saw it's issue #0 released this past Saturday at Free Comic Book Day. You can find a review of that issue HERE.

Over the course of the interview, Barber talks about his upcoming role in the IDW Transformers comics following the end of the current continuity, where he states that he will have a guiding hand involved with whatever new series is set to start. This is a comforting piece of news, seeing as how Barber has proven to be one of the best, if not the master of continuity. So while he may not be writing the new stories, he will be responsible for overseeing them.

You can check out the full interview by following the link above, and you can catch some of the content quoted below!

Alexander Jones: How do your new responsibilities as Editor-in-Chief effect your contributions to the Transformers franchise?

John Barber: My recent return to IDW as Editor-in-Chief won’t impact Unicron—I’m still writing the event (along with the Optimus Prime series) through to the end, and my excitement and commitment to this story could not be higher. But I’m also incredibly honored and excited to have the opportunity to take a guiding hand on where the Transformers comics from IDW and Hasbro go next—and on where we take all of IDW’s amazing comics. I’ve been at this job for about a week, and it’s been thrilling working with our partners. The future of IDW—and of comics—looks very, very bright. Unless a big metal planet eats the whole universe, but we’ll have to see how that goes.

.....

Jones: Why was Unicron chosen as the story to close out the current Transformers Universe?

Barber: Unicron is a really iconic piece of the Transformers mythos. If you’re old enough to have lived through the original Transformers cartoon in the 1980s, you remember what a massive, disruptive thing Unicron was in the movie. That movie was one of the most apocalyptic cartoons you were going to see as a kid in the 1980s—it was devastating watching those familiar characters die. And that’s intrinsically linked with Unicron—in my mind, at least—even though, as editor David Mariotte likes pointing out, Unicron didn’t really kill very many Transformers. He still ate whole planets!

Unicron is something we’ve thought about doing in the IDW universe for a long time but always held off. The time never felt right, and I think the chance to do something really big—something where genuinely anything can happen, and will—was a chance, really the first chance we’ve had, to do Unicron right.

Transformers News: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron

Credit(s): The Beat

Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958348)
Posted by DeadCaL on May 8th, 2018 @ 9:38pm CDT
Va'al wrote:And it's done in such a way that will allow several readers to really want to get into the main story come July, while not relying on senseless shock value twists or carnage for its own sake (yes, we all know what I'm referring to here).

Could you explain for those of us that don't know?
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958358)
Posted by Sunstar on May 8th, 2018 @ 11:22pm CDT
DeadCaL wrote:

Could you explain for those of us that don't know?

visionaries comes to mind.
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958378)
Posted by WreckerJack on May 9th, 2018 @ 2:47am CDT
DeadCaL wrote:

Could you explain for those of us that don't know?

Just read Lost Light. I'll just say there is a lot of OMG your favorite character(s) are dead! Oops we lied they just fine - tune in next time for more cheap shock value. :SICK:

Granted I quit reading LL after the 15th issue because I could just not take the cheap attention grabbing and incessant politics being inserted into it. I'm hoping it's gotten better since then. I know no one is forcing me to read something that isn't my cup of tea but it still bums me out that something that started out good took such a nosedive.

By the way how far into LL do I need to read Unicron 0? I picked it up at my local comic shop and I have been hanging onto it just in case.
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958379)
Posted by Va'al on May 9th, 2018 @ 3:05am CDT

So far, there is very little LL plot feeding into Unicron, thought that may of course change.
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958386)
Posted by WreckerJack on May 9th, 2018 @ 3:54am CDT
Va'al wrote:I was specifically talking about Visionaries. But that was an interesting reaction I had not expected!

Guess I don't have to force myself to read it then. Oh happy day! :BOWDOWN:
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958406)
Posted by ScottyP on May 9th, 2018 @ 8:14am CDT

(How do I know this? You will know soon! Horrible shameless plug: watch this space in ~12 days)
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958411)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 9th, 2018 @ 8:47am CDT
ScottyP wrote:They've been planning this longer than any of us realized, which is enough to allay any fears I had about a rush job.

Now I'm curious, but does that mean they knew it would end this continuity when it first was talked about? Or is that something that changed
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958435)
Posted by BumbleDouche on May 9th, 2018 @ 10:28am CDT
"Unicron didn’t really kill very many Transformers" - That's absurd! While they may not have been specifically shown onscreen, they were certainly implied!

When Unicron revealed his robot mode and slammed his fist into Cybertron, the occupying Decepticon forces were decimated to the extent that the pitiful Autobots were finally able to regain control of the planet, something they'd failed at repeatedly over millions of years.

Further, the army of Decepticon survivors exiled to Chaar in the first few episodes of season 3 were too few to be considered a planetary occupation force, so it stands to reason that their absent comrades were in fact destroyed in defense of Cybertron by Unicron.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :CON: [-(
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958441)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on May 9th, 2018 @ 10:54am CDT
^Shockwave suffered worse than most. Not only was he implied to be directly under Unicron's hand when it hit, but he was never seen or heard of again. Not even by animation error! Let alone there are still some that don't list him among the dead in The Movie.

As an aside, it would be nice if Kranix appears in this mini, in some meaningful way. His concept art did have an altmode after all...

Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958461)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 9th, 2018 @ 12:41pm CDT
Never realised he had an alt mode,, wonder if there was ever talks of a toy of him from back then.

So I re-read 0 today, and I thought of something that was said at the end of it.

they said that he's getting bigger and stronger the more planets he's consuming (though from what pyra says, I'm also guessing suns aren't off the menu). So how's this for a theory, unicron will only be able to transform into his robot form once so many colony worlds have bit the dust. Additionally what I'm thinking is that the planet mode is more of a lavaral state while the robot mode is his true form.
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958463)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on May 9th, 2018 @ 12:53pm CDT
As echoed by others, I do hope when Unicron transforms, he does more than just stand there and leer...

Another cool tidbit I read up on Kranix was how he ended up on Quintessa, in the original draft:

TFWiki wrote:A deleted line of dialogue explained that the Quintessons hunted down those who escaped the wrath of Unicron and put them on trial, with the sentence always being the same—death!

Which gives the trials of Quintessons actual purpose :-?
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958483)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 9th, 2018 @ 2:19pm CDT

Seeing unicron that big in robot mode makes me hope that someone does fan art down the line of equally big (or bigger) anime mechs taking him apart like tenga toppa gurren laggan (I haven't spelt that right at all) :lol:
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958490)
Posted by Bounti76 on May 9th, 2018 @ 3:04pm CDT
WreckerJack wrote:
DeadCaL wrote:

Could you explain for those of us that don't know?

I stopped reading when they had Star Saber off Defensor like he (Defensor) was some weak, powerless chump. It reeked of shock value.
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958496)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on May 9th, 2018 @ 3:34pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:If they went with that, they would have to explain what the connection was between the qunits and unicron was, which depending on how it was handled, could have been fun.

It certainly would have been better than Primacron :roll:
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958512)
Posted by Galactic Prime on May 9th, 2018 @ 4:32pm CDT

How much did he pay you to write that garbage?

Because it's simply not true.
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958523)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 9th, 2018 @ 5:06pm CDT
Galactic Prime wrote:"This is a comforting piece of news, seeing as how Barber has proven to be one of the best, if not the master of continuity."

How much did he pay you to write that garbage?

Because it's simply not true.

No one paid me to, it's simply 100% true. We can disagree about this, but Barber has proven for years to be the master of continuity. He has made things work that really shouldn't while still doing a lot of his own stuff
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958524)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 9th, 2018 @ 5:08pm CDT

How much did he pay you to write that garbage?

Because it's simply not true.

Do you have any examples or is this just your opinion? I agree with the original statement. I mean, Barber cut his teeth making sense of the live action movies since the writers of those films weren't interested in continuity (or explaining things clearly)

@AllNewSuperRobot Anything is better than Primacon. That's why I was thankful that Furman wrote an alternative origin for unicron during his work on the marvel series. At least hasbro seem to favour the primus/unicron origin more than the primacon one. I swear that even I'll lose faith in IDW if they go with the toon origins...I bet the writer's thought they were being really clever when they added that bit in. That episode would have been fine leaving out all mentions of unicron.
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958531)
Posted by Galactic Prime on May 9th, 2018 @ 5:25pm CDT
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:

How much did he pay you to write that garbage?

Because it's simply not true.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sure.
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958532)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 9th, 2018 @ 5:27pm CDT
Galactic Prime wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:

How much did he pay you to write that garbage?

Because it's simply not true.

OMG

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sure.

True. Barber is almost universally praised for his continuity work. Heck, he made Spotlight: Mirage canon after almost a decade. He is good, I really don't understand what you have against him other than he's part of IDW
Re: John Barber Talks IDW's Unicron Event, Role in IDW Transformers Comics After Unicron (1958533)
Posted by Galactic Prime on May 9th, 2018 @ 5:30pm CDT
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:
Galactic Prime wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:

How much did he pay you to write that garbage?

Because it's simply not true.

OMG

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sure.

Ummmm he's a terrible writer? I honestly don't see how you can see him as good. The continuity of the IDW TF comics has been terrible. Utterly terrible.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Skywarp Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Tra Rid Warrior Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #286 - They Might Be Giants
"They Might Be Giants"
Posted: Friday, October 8th, 2021

Buy "Autobot Heroes Platinum Edition Transformers Ultra Magnus Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers BUMBLEBEE Action Figure POWER PUNCH Age of Extinction Deluxe NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Aoe High Octane Bumblebee" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Roar and Rescue Bumblebee Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 3 Thunderhoof Figure Blue McDonald’s Happy Meal Toy 2016" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots In Disguise Combiner Force Stuntwing Mini Con" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers SIDESWIPE ROTF Revenge of the Fallen Deluxe Class 2009" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Sideswipe Autobot Deluxe 2008 Revenge of the Fallen ROTF" on EBAY