Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art

Transformers News: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art

Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 5:19AM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Bounti76   Views: 13,230

Thanks once again to Ken Christiansen's Facebook page, we have a look at some cool line art he did for the SDCC 2015 Combiner Hunters box set of Chromia, Arcee and Windblade. While not responsible for the toys' decos, Ken did get to draw all three fembots for their box art, and the series of images below and on his page shows them off, and also gives us a glimpse at their full body poses that were cropped for the final product, as well as something of the challenge he had in drawing three separate figures as well as making all three drawings look natural as a group.

Transformers News: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art

Transformers News: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art

Transformers News: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art

Transformers News: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art

Back view of the SDCC Combiner Hunters box...the trick to these was that I needed to fit all three into a closeup shot for the front, and still not have them floating, or standing on each other's feet when you pull back to see the full figures.

Transformers News: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art

This is a pretty cool glimpse into what goes into making the art for toy packaging. Let us know what you think below!
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1945858)
Posted by steve2275 on March 13th, 2018 @ 5:48am CDT
very pretty art
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1946497)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on March 16th, 2018 @ 7:47am CDT
That is some gorgeous art. A shame that the attention paid to the body detail was not also paid to giving Optimus/Motormaster's torso mode secure shoulder sockets (bigger tabs or better yet mushroom pegs would make all the difference in the world. That's all it would take.)

Gods I'm hoping the CW limbs get reissued. Also Optimus Prime.
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1946874)
Posted by Bronzewolf on March 18th, 2018 @ 2:59pm CDT
We've been sharing a lot of Generations line and concept art, and we have even more today from artist Marcelo Matere! We're a bit Decepticon-heavy this time around, however, as Marcelo's new images feature Combiner Wars Leader Megatron and Starscream! These are, as stated above, line drawing versions of the packaging art. It's interesting to see pieces like these, to spot differentiation from the actual toys, and to see the full art. We don't get to see these in their full glory typically, as they get cut off by packaging designs. Check out the two works below, and stay tuned for more concept art coming later today!

Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1962366)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 30th, 2018 @ 10:28pm CDT
At long last, the unused headsculpts for Combiner Wars Hoist (Trailbreaker's pretool) and "Ironclad" (Rook's original pretool) have finally been shown to the public thanks to RoboCon's Facebook:

As can be seen from the above image, both heads were part of proposals for more Fun Pub figures, the above ones in particular being SG Autotrooper (the Offroad mold w/ the Hoist head) and SG X-Brawn (the Rook mold with his pretooled alternate head).

The reason I said "Ironclad" as Rook's pretool is, well, there's a bit of a story in that. See, Rook's original head pretool was actually Brawl, with the pretooled head made to resemble Brawl's noggin as, at the time, Hasbro hadn't yet made the separate Brawl mold that we ended up getting, so Rook being used for Brawl was a "just in case" backup plan if Hasbro needed it. They didn't, since Brawl did get his own mold, which left the Brawl-headed Rook pretool unneeded.

Then, when Hasbro was making plans for their Computron giftset, they brought back the Brawl-headed Rook to see use in that set as a new Technobot named "Ironclad", who was gonna replace Afterburner/Afterbreaker since he was gonna instead be made from the Legends class Groove mold (much like how Rook had replaced Groove in Hasbro's Protectobot releases). But then TakaraTomy went and made an Afterburner retooling from their Unite Warriors Deluxe class-sized Groove, so Hasbro quickly got their hands on that and scrapped their plans for both Legends class Afterburner/breaker and new character Ironclad.

Still, the Brawl-headed Rook pretool was not completely forgotten, as Fun Pub used it as the inspiration for the SG X-Brawn character who appeared in the final Shattered Glass-themed Club magazine comic storyline "Another Light". Based on the above image, SG X-Brawn was evidently one of Fun Pub's earlier proposals for BotCon 2016 along with SG Checkpoint (Offroad mold w/ the Trailbreaker head) and the SG Autotroopers also pictured above. But since that con ended up being another Beast Wars-themed con to pay tribute to both that series's 20th anniversary and BotCon's own legacy of having really taken off during the Beast Era, these proposals never came to fruition.

As for the other three proposals seen above, they are Maccadam/Alchemist Prime, Liege Maximo, and Solus Prime, but since those three aren't from Combiner Wars molds, their relevance is nil in this thread.
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1962416)
Posted by Emerje on May 31st, 2018 @ 7:12am CDT
It's a shame that Hoist head is so heavily photoshopped over, can't even tell if there's really a sculpt underneath there or if it's all digital paint. Hopefully they have the real thing at the con.

Emerje
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1962436)
Posted by o.supreme on May 31st, 2018 @ 10:36am CDT
Just to confirm though...these are only for display, and are not being sold at the convention correct?...I mean I already have 1 CW quest I'll probably never finish, I don't need another. :-s
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1962438)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on May 31st, 2018 @ 10:50am CDT
Definitely display for now. Here's the updated info for the convention:

Pete's Robot Convention 2018, June 9 and 10.

Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1962440)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 31st, 2018 @ 10:53am CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:Sweet to finally see them, did they get any information pertaining to original intent before Ironclad?
...Like I said, the head was meant for Brawl to be made out of Rook before Hasbro changed their minds and made him his own mold. These heads were Hasbro-made like Ratchet, Reflector, Counterpunch and Nemesis Prime Toxitron.

As for displaying, I'm not expecting any these to be seen there in person. These proposals will likely just be images seen only on a screen at the Night Shining, Inc. panel, much like how all the old BotCon 2011 and TFSS 7.0 proposals were shown as images-only at last year's RoboCon. The Solus head seen there, for instance, is just Arcee's head with Cybertron Override's horns and helmet crest photoshopped onto it (the final would have been an all new sculpt had it come about).
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1971579)
Posted by EvasionModeBumblebee on July 16th, 2018 @ 3:10pm CDT
Hey, quick question:

Who would you all recommend between CW Silverbolt and Onslaught? They both look good, and they form the torsos of my 2 favorite combiners, but I can’t decide which to go for between the two. Onslaught may be the easier of the two to get limbs for with Blast Off getting a release soon, but I’m not sure.
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1971582)
Posted by Emerje on July 16th, 2018 @ 3:16pm CDT

Emerje
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1971584)
Posted by william-james88 on July 16th, 2018 @ 3:17pm CDT
EvasionModeBumblebee wrote:Hey, quick question:

Are you asking who is better between CW Silverbolt or Onslaught or who is better between CW Superion or Bruticus?

Because there are very different answers depending.

Here are some lists to help you:

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers ... ors/39357/

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers ... -g1/39500/
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1971591)
Posted by EvasionModeBumblebee on July 16th, 2018 @ 3:31pm CDT
Thanks for the help! I think I’m going with Silverbolt. Man, I can’t believe I didn’t get the Aerialbots when they were at retail! #-o
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1971597)
Posted by o.supreme on July 16th, 2018 @ 4:27pm CDT
Speaking of Hypotheticals....Now that I have PotP Inferno, I am going to pair him up with TAV Override. So that leaves my Wreckage Team without a Legends Class Figure.

I know there is a fan-mode to configure the Huffer/Pipes mold to fit in the open slot for the Optimus/Motormaster styled CW Voyager (which Toxitron is...) It's just with that pea-soup green, I'm not sure which would go better. I'm thinking Huffer *(considering Toxitron already has one orange HFG anyway...) But if anyone wants to make a case for Pipes (or Huffer), let me know...
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1971613)
Posted by RotorstormNZ on July 16th, 2018 @ 6:26pm CDT
Emerje wrote:Silverbolt is the torsobot that all other torsobots wish they could be. Simple and super effective transformation that's rock solid. Jet mode isn't particularly great though.

I'm a jet guy - and a Concorde guy - and seeing Silverbolt's jet mode really made me check out on him. I totally understand why he is the way he is though, a Concorde/Concorde-inspired transforming alt-mode seems impossible to pull off in toy form! MP Silverbolt would be an insane figure.
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1971643)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 16th, 2018 @ 7:45pm CDT
EvasionModeBumblebee, I know you pretty much made up your mind, so I'm just reaffirming your decision. Silverbolt is the better torso, probably the best of the line. Personally, I prefer Cyclonus, but only because of the color.

o.supreme, personally I would go with Huffer, only because orange looks good with green and purple. Pipes should go with BCOP.
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1971668)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on July 16th, 2018 @ 10:24pm CDT
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1972039)
Posted by EvasionModeBumblebee on July 18th, 2018 @ 3:22pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:One quick and BIG warning with Silverbolt: the Superion head is prone to breaking off the hinge if not handled and moved properly. The issue was fixed with later releases of CW Scattershot, including UW Cyclonus, boxset and UW Scattershot, and other redecos and retools released around that time. Any version of Silverbolt is out of luck however :(

Whoa, I hadn’t heard of that issue before. Thanks for the heads up!
Edit: pun not intended

Silverbolt has arrived, and he’s really cool! Robot mode looks spot-on, the Superion torso looks awesome, and I actually like the alt-mode. I mean, yeah, it’s a robot doing yoga glued to the bottom of a jet, but it handles it much better than POTP Starscream.

Now unfortunately the only CW deluxe (and up until now only CW figure) I have is Prowl (which is ironic because CW is my favorite line from prime wars), so I’m having to get creative for limbs.
ECD869F8-25DA-46BF-9749-E80E34ECA00B.jpeg

Now only if the Aerialbots didn’t cost an arm and a leg. . .
pun intended
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1972048)
Posted by gothsaurus on July 18th, 2018 @ 4:10pm CDT
That bee makes a fantastic foot! :shock:
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1994681)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on November 19th, 2018 @ 7:39pm CST
Wolfman Jake wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:As for why I think the CW Optimus/Motormaster mold prevents knee bend in gestalt mode unless you have the legs facing tires-side forward? I found out FROM EXPERIENCE that it does so. With the legs facing the intended way, several limbs will bump against the feet and have to be forced past to bend further. The Breakdown mold doesn't have any issues, but the Dead End/Streetwise mold does, especially the Streetwise version. Which makes it feel like the toy was designed more as a standalone Optimus, because you'd think -you'd hope - that if the mold was designed first as a combiner torso they'd have been paying better attention to clearances.

Well, from my experience, I've not had any trouble with bending the knees back 90 degrees on the Optimus/Motormaster mold. How are you getting "clearance issues?" Those wheels behind the legs don't bump into anything at the combination joint, nor on the back of any combiner limb. The robot mode feet of the Voyager torso stick off to the side. That's the intended configuration. Are you putting the feet at the back or front for some reason? That's not the correct configuration. Like I said before, I just earlier today played around with my Menasor after you made your complaints and found none of what you purported to be accurate. Why don't you take some pictures of what you think the problem is?

No, I'm putting the feet on the sides where they belong:
I just have Motormaster's tires facing forward, because when I have them on the back Dead End's doors like to bump on the edge of Motormaster's foot.
Re: Ken Christiansen Shows Off Combiner Hunters Box Set Line Art (1994684)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on November 19th, 2018 @ 7:58pm CST
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:
Wolfman Jake wrote:

No, I'm putting the feet on the sides where they belong:

Can you turn your Motormaster's legs around the right way again (tires in back) and show me the clearance issue or bumping of the doors against the legs with pictures? I've got my (Unite Warriors) copy in the intended orientation, and I'm NOT getting the problems you're saying you are with the Dead End/Wildrider mold. I can get a 90 bend with no problem whatsoever.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Brawl" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #213 - How to Say Expensive and Mean It
"How to Say Expensive and Mean It"
Posted: Sunday, December 9th, 2018

Buy "Transformers G2 Motormouth Generation 2 GO-BOTS SEALED ON CARD MOC MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "Motormouth Vintage Transformers Generation 2 G2 Go-Bots MOC Figure Car 1994 New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G2 Mirage Generation 2 GO-BOTS SEALED ON CARD MOC MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "HASBRO TAKARA TOMY TRANSFORMERS 'SIDESWIPE' SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON TRILOGY" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege War for Cybertron Deluxe Sideswipe Hound Skytread Cog Set 4" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 OPTIMUS PRIME vintage cab w Roller lot Autobots" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Sixshot     Reformatted Terminus Hexatron     KO Version." on EBAY
Buy "Blue Roller for Optimus Prime Rig Transformers G1 Autobot" on EBAY