Transformers News: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight

Sunday, August 13th, 2017 9:09AM CDT

Categories: Live Action Movie News, Site Articles, Editorials
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 37,768

In the previous movie toyline, Age of Extinction, the debate was on which was the better Grimlock since he was the only character with two new toys in the collector oriented line in two different classes. However, both were mediocre so it was more of a question of which wasn't as bad. But now with The Last Knight's Megatron, it's the reverse with two really awesome looking toys. But which is best?

I will break it down through categories and pick a winner, based on what I feel and read online from you guys, and then we will all say our preference in the forums. Sound good?

Jet Mode:

The leader definitely wins by having some kibble free wings in jet mode. Having those flame effects in the back is a really nice touch too. it is quite an imposing jet. The back of the jet is also cleaner than the voyager which has the robot shoulders there looking asymmetrical. The fact that the wings on the leader have no kibble underneath them really makes the jet look sleek and adds to the alt mode's distinctiveness from the robot mode. The alt mode of TLK Megatron is a gorgeous jet design and the leader is a better representation of it.

Transformers News: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the better Megatron Figure from Transformers the Last Knight

Leader

Voyager

Leader

Voyager

Robot Mode:

This one is a toss up with the leader edging out the voyager by just a bit. The leader has more dedicated parts for the robot mode with the jet kibble relegated to the back and on the arm cannon while the voyager has some fuselage doubling (unconvincingly) as part of the knight skirt and jet wings wrapped around the robot legs. But that also means he has a cleaner back, more alt mode integration (which I can't be mad about) and a cannon that looks fully dedicated to the robot mode. The arms on the voyager are better since the forearms are sleeker. The leader's standard arm pose gives you gorilla arms but you can adjust that with the wrist swivel, which gives you a giant hole and unseemly wide forearms.

Speaking of articulation, both give you a decent range. The leader even has double jointed knees if you use a transformation hinge but after seeing the images below you might not use it for the robot mode. The leader does something else that I did not notice until having him in hand, the sleekness of the torso, as it tapers down, is hampered by the backpack. Meaning that you don't get that nice shape at the midsection and instead it looks like those u convincing Power Rangers zords where they draw a sleeker body on a rectangle and make the collector/child pretend it's not there. Also, the leader ends up with a crotch hole ala MP 10, which the voyager does not have. With all these knocks against the leader, you would think the voyager would win this easily but I really like how good the leader's robot mode looks with the face mask and how clean the robot mode is. Point goes to the leader.

Voyager

Leader

Gimmicks:

The leader clearly has more gimmicks than the voyager. All the voyager has is light piping (eyes and "gills"), which is something absent in the leader figure and actually works well enough on the voyager. You get a cool evil look with it. Now the leader's gimmicks are both its pro and con. Yes, the facemask is really cool but for that to work you end up with a really derpy looking mouth when the mask isn't deployed. You also get a weak spring loaded feature for the front of the jet to come undone and it is as annoying as Leader Optimus' spring loaded swords. Sometimes too much is like not enough and I would rather not get a gimmick than a poorly executed one. The face mask is still cool but the fact that I hesitate to transform the leader just because of how annoying that bit will be means I prefer the voyager for keeping things 100.

Facesculpt:

As just said, the retracted chin on the leader doesn't look good and makes him look more derpy than menacing. Almost reminds me of Sloth from the Goonies. Voyager wins this one.

Voyager

Leader

Paint/Deco:

The voyager wins here by a landslide. Both toys go for a very different look with the silver deco and I fail to understand why. The voyager uses the silver as a way to subtly add to the layering of the armour. Its a nice effect that seems to only work on the naked eye. What is baffling is that the leader uses silver paint to instead give a weathered or battle damaged look. It is blotchy and not uniform and looks random.

Leader

Leader

Leader

Voyager

Arm Cannon:

Oddly enough, I find the voyager's a tad bit too small. It's maybe movie accurate but it doesn't look very threatening. The Leader's is way too big. The fire effect is super cool and I am able to pose him the right way so that the weight is evenly carried across the toy, but it still looks very big. I give both of them major props for avoiding the partsforming route.

In the end, the Voyager wins here but not by much.

Transformation:

This is the big one. I much prefer the Voyager's transformation since I much prefer unfolding panels instead of the panel forming and massaging you have to do with the leader (in the back portion of the jet). There is more of a shell aspect with the leader which the voyager doesn't have since almost every part of the robot mode is reused for the jet mode. Also, the first step they give you for the leader is to transform the nosecone from the cannon which is a terrible idea. It will surely keep getting undone as you keep transforming since it is spring loaded. The voyager is really a joy to convert from one mode to the next. Nothing gets in the way too much and there isn't anything annoying. It is also far more intuitive and there is no need to exert pressure anywhere. My leader already has some stretch marks where the nosecone tabs into the forearms.

While the voyager wins out most of the categories it is still a tough call when the ones the leader wins is when it comes to the best looking modes. In the end, its all about what you want best. If you will be transforming these often, the voyager is the way to go. But if you just want to pose him, the leader works better since he is far more screen accurate. However, you wouldn't be able to pose him with anyone since the only other toy in his scale in this line is the inaccurate Optimus Prime leader. Still, I can't say this pic below isn't awesome and I don't regret getting both.

Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904084)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on August 13th, 2017 @ 9:15am CDT
Nice article, but better edit some pictures. Instead of the voyager, we see some double posts of the leader's pictures.

Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904088)
Posted by MrBlack on August 13th, 2017 @ 9:46am CDT
One point I will add is that my Leader Megs has some very wobbly hips, which makes posing him a bit of a chore. That giant arm cannon can throw off his balance in some poses as well. Voyager Megs has much tighter joints.

I agree that Leader Megs is the winner as a display piece though. He's just so big and imposing and that jet mode is amazing. Voyager Megs is the better toy though.
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904089)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on August 13th, 2017 @ 10:05am CDT
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904092)
Posted by dragons on August 13th, 2017 @ 10:13am CDT
Don't have time patience read everything I look at pictures leader class for me after viewing two reviews on two figures
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904094)
Posted by Cobotron on August 13th, 2017 @ 11:12am CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote: how does transforming him to jet mode compare to transforming RoTF Jetfire?
If I may, I'd like to answer that.

Enjoyable!
Jetfire was a chore. Leader Megs is a breeze in comparison.
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904099)
Posted by SureShot18 on August 13th, 2017 @ 11:37am CDT
Nice write-up. I still feel like the Leader is only superior in jet mode. Of course I haven't messed with either of them but I should have the voyager this week if I get him ordered today. But like I said in the 'Tron, you can't go wrong with either of them given the awesomeness of the TLK Megatron design.
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904106)
Posted by william-james88 on August 13th, 2017 @ 12:03pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:Thanks, Willy J, I've been looking for an analysis like this if only to help me decide on the Voyager, since I already bought the leader. I have yet to transform him, so I have a question: how does transforming him to jet mode compare to transforming RoTF Jetfire? If you can recall that figure, that is.

Oh I know that figure well. Its very different. Jetfire is a robot under a jet and Megatron is not that since his arms and legs make up part of the actual jet. There are still some panels to conect with Leader Megatron but its notthing compared to the panelforming chore that Jetfire was. Believe it or not, the toy Megatron reminds me more of is ROTF Optimus Prime especially with the spring loaded front.
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904110)
Posted by Black Hat on August 13th, 2017 @ 1:08pm CDT
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904111)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on August 13th, 2017 @ 1:11pm CDT
Black Hat wrote:Yeah I think I'll go Voyager if I get either version of this mold. They both look pretty great though I will say.

I think that that's the underrated beauty of this movie line, that, no matter your budget, you can still get an exceptional rendition of Megatron (I've heard great things about the 'kiddie' versions too), something that no other movie - or normal line, can boast :APPLAUSE:

I have the voyager, and have seen the leader numerous times, I don't regret skipping the leader version for the voyager, it's far superior ;)^
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904112)
Posted by Black Hat on August 13th, 2017 @ 1:13pm CDT
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904113)
Posted by Hellscream9999 on August 13th, 2017 @ 1:16pm CDT
Black Hat wrote:Yeah, that's one of the genuinely good things about this line, even if there have been some duds. I only own one TLK toy- Barricade (I wanted a Nitro Zeus but I haven't seen him yet, not even at TFNation!) but he's alright. Feels like a 2007 toy in a good way.

Mine can't form his car mode, so, there's that, on the plus side, my vastly superior dotm barricade now has some great accessories ;)^
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904117)
Posted by Lunatic Prime on August 13th, 2017 @ 1:25pm CDT
The Leader's face reminds me more of Jeepers Creepers.

And do you have any clue what the hole in his crotch is for? It's not for transformation as far as I can tell.

[quote]If you will be transforming these often, the voyager is the way to go. But if you just want to pose him, the leader works better since he is far more screen accurate. [/quote]Here's a big problem for me. I don't like the Voyager's jet mode. So I would have him in robot mode all the time and the easy transformation isn't a plus to me that way. The Leader I love in both modes so I'd like to transform him a lot but it's really annoying.

[quote]However, you wouldn't be able to pose him with anyone since the only other toy in his scale in this line is the inaccurate Optimus Prime leader. [/quote]I think (and a lot of reviewers, too) that he's pretty much in scale with the other Decepticon mainline figures. And this way also with the Autobot Deluxe class cars.
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904127)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on August 13th, 2017 @ 1:59pm CDT
I still prefer the Voyager in both modes. The leg kibble under the wings of the voyager doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It still looks really sleek and I think it gives the overall design more balance. Plus the underside of the jet looks tidier to me too. In robot mode I just can't get past that comically large attempt at a fusion cannon when it clearly looks nothing more than the entire front of the jet. Plus I love how the wings fold in segments around the legs so well you barely even notice they're there. Much more clever than simple swinging down behind the robot mode back.

But anyways yes both are really great Transformers figures but the voyager is my preference (even just for size, cos I don't like Leader class figures unless they're meant to be some extra large brute force character, I prefer my commander types in Voyager class) and I can see why there are leader sized KO's of the Voyager (which even improve on it's forearms with wrist swivels and cover panels). Really though whatever size you prefer ya can't go far wrong with TLK Megs.
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904128)
Posted by william-james88 on August 13th, 2017 @ 2:01pm CDT
Lunatic Prime wrote:I think (and a lot of reviewers, too) that he's pretty much in scale with the other Decepticon mainline figures. And this way also with the Autobot Deluxe class cars.

I really don't. I tried posing him with Barricade today to face off against MPM3 BB and AD 31 Leader Optimus and it looked aweful. Barricade looked puny while BB seemed the right height.

Lets look at it this way. We know Prime and Megs are as tall or just about. We know how Bee compared to prime due to their extensive fighting. Its pretty much MPM3 scaled with the latest Leader Prime mold. So if Bee has to be a voyager, then barricade being a deluxe no longer works, right?

You can try it but I find it looks pretty bad. Doesnt this look better?

Lunatic Prime wrote:

No clue. Thats why I wanted to point it out and compare it to MP10's crotch hole which also has no purpose aside from being an eyesore.
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904130)
Posted by Cobotron on August 13th, 2017 @ 2:17pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Lunatic Prime wrote:

After inspecting Leader Meg's crotch hole ( >:oP ) I think it's just a unfortunate byproduct of molding and structural support. The back of that piece is the center of a hinge. The piece of the hinge has to be strong to withstand the riggers of use, so it's double walled. The only way to inject plastic inside the piece is to have a hole there. To build the inner walls the mold has to have an opposing wall to hold the plastic there, and the only way to get that bit of mold separated from the plastic is to leave a hole in the surface. So to summarize, it's structural.

I'd rather have a hole in the molding than a broken hinge.
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904131)
Posted by Lunatic Prime on August 13th, 2017 @ 2:25pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

You can try it but I find it looks pretty bad. Doesnt this look better?

It might look better but Megs is a big jet and so he has to tower all of the others. But I know that scale isn't always right with Transformers and mass shifting is usual.
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904132)
Posted by breacher on August 13th, 2017 @ 2:42pm CDT
I'd like to add that chefatron posted a follow-up on crosshairs. The important bits are: Almost all of the problems he had with the original were solved when he returned it to TRU and got another copy.The wheel doesn't pop off anymore, the guns tab into the trench coat much better, the elbow joints aren't as tight, and can now properly align, and it did come with instructions this time. Looks like another case of bad QC. geez, has/tak, your qc department must be pretty bad lately.

Anyway, my thoughts on the figure: Absolutely amazing. One of the best deluxes in the line. I know he's just a remold, but he's an improvement in every way. Movie accurate guns (two of them now), more accurate paint job, more efficient kibble storage, the trench coat used solid plastic now, and looks much better, the shoulders don't get in the way, transformation in more streamlined, and overall, it's just an excellent re-do of an already decent mold. The only thing that bugs me is the (still) lacking paint on the head. Would have looked much better if they used slightly less bright plastic for the face, and painted the goggles dark grey or something. It just looks weird the way it is now.
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904155)
Posted by Prime Target on August 13th, 2017 @ 6:12pm CDT
"One of the least anticipated" I've been wanting this thing since it was announced!
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904162)
Posted by nycPrime on August 13th, 2017 @ 7:58pm CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:Still, this make me want to get the leader but only if it's on sale. If not, meh, I'll just miss out.

My sentiments exactly. I really only wanted the leader for the killer jet mode. But it'll take up too much space and the scale is off. So I decided to be good and hold off for now. But I'll keep an eye out for deals and if it can be had in the $30s, I'll probably pull the trigger, If not, then so be it.

So I finally ordered the Voyager Megs just now. Well it's actually the 2nd time I've ordered it, but the first one got lost in transit. Last day of HTS 15% off and free ship, so went with it. Gotta say it was tempting to throw in the leader at $43 all in, but didn't give in.

Now come on Walmart, let's get deluxe Hot Rod in stock already! That should be it for me and the movie toys.
Re: Leader vs Voyager: Which is the Better Megatron Figure from Transformers: The Last Knight (1904176)
Posted by MaverickPrime on August 13th, 2017 @ 9:57pm CDT
Will, what do you mean by the crotch hole leader Megs and MP10 have?

Ending Soon On eBay

TRANSFORMERS FIGURE GENERATIONS 2 AUTOBOT BUMBLEBEE RID ROBOT IN DISGUISE - Time Remaining: 1 day 7 hours 56 minutes 1 second
Transformers Construct Bots Optimus Prime and Gnaw Dino Free Shipping - Time Remaining: 7 days 4 hours 57 minutes 59 seconds
Transformers Construct Bots Lockdown & Hangnal Dino Free Shipping - Time Remaining: 3 days 6 hours 58 minutes
TRANSFORMERS THE LAST KNIGHT PREMIER EDITION DELUXE DINOBOT SLUG - Time Remaining: 3 days 4 hours 29 seconds
TRANSFORMERS 2001 RID Grimlock ROBOTS IN DISGUISE COMBINER Sealed Rare - Time Remaining: 1 day 8 hours 1 minute 15 seconds
TRANSFORMERS THE LAST KNIGHT PREMIER EDITION DELUXE DRIFT - Time Remaining: 2 days 17 hours 3 minutes
Transformers RID Robots in Disguise 2017 Combiner Force Shockdrive & Warnado - Time Remaining: 22 days 3 hours 3 minutes 20 seconds
TRANSFORMERS THE LAST KNIGHT PREMIER EDITION DELUXE STEELBANE - Time Remaining: 3 days 3 hours 4 minutes 27 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #184 - The Search For Alpha Trion
"The Search For Alpha Trion"
Posted: Sunday, September 17th, 2017